Forums

Topic: Disappointed by the lack of new exclusives

Posts 361 to 380 of 441

Bolt_Strike

@MrHonest Say what you will about not liking the value of certain games, but "uncreative" is the wrong word to describe that. I would actually say creativity is at an all time high this gen as I've seen very few Wii/Wii U titles that display the sheer amount of originality and quirkiness as games like Super Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Luigi's Mansion 3, Pokemon SwSh, and Metroid Dread (and BotW2, Pokemon Legends Arceus, and Kirby and the Forgotten Land seem to be following suit).

I especially don't see how you can claim the Wii U is more creative when every other game for the Wii U felt like a NSMB-esque rehashy linear platformer and far too many of its games just felt like HD level pack sequels of games that we saw before on the Wii, DS, and 3DS. Creativity is one thing the Wii U felt like it sorely needed, I can count the number of Wii U games I thought were legitimately creative with one hand (Splatoon, Mario Maker, Captain Toad, that's pretty much it).

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

MrHonest

@Bolt_Strike Except for Kirby and Pokemon Legends the games you mention doesn’t scream ambiguous to me.

MrHonest

Bolt_Strike

@MrHonest Ambiguous? What are you talking about? You seem to be very confused on terminology.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

@MrHonest Okay then.

Odyssey actually introduces some new gameplay mechanics to Mario (not just 3D Mario, the entire Mario series) for the first time in 10 years. Mario has new moves in his arsenal such as the roll move and the ground pound jump. And then of course there's Cappy, which extends Mario's jumps and attacks, and opens up a whole new world of mechanics with capturing. Also introduces a wide range of creative locations and characters.

Splatoon 2 is a little more because of how quirky and creative the Splatoon IP is than because it builds on Splatoon 1 and we have too few IPs in general that are like that (and it didn't exist on the Wii, so yeah), but even so they've experimented with new weapon types and through the DLC made Octolings playable. This one may be cheating a bit admittedly, but the Wii didn't have Splatoon, so I'm counting it.

Luigi's Mansion 3 is bigger and better than previous games in just about every way. There's more areas, many of them very wacky and creative level ideas. And they've also greatly expanded what Luigi can do with the slam move and Gooigi.

Pokemon Sword and Shield, for one, is the first Pokemon game on a home console. Neither the Wii nor the Wii U boasts a main series Pokemon game. But beyond that, the Wild Area opens up the level design a bit more and Dynamax shakes up the battling mechanics a bit and ties into some of the other lore and mechanics with the Max Raid battles and the larger than life gym stadiums.

Metroid Dread adds new mechanics to Samus' repertoire with sliding and Dash Melee, adds a ton of new abilities, and shakes up the gameplay with the E.M.M.I. mechanics.

BotW2 we don't know much of yet, but already we can see a lot of interesting new mechanics from the trailer. We can see more verticality to the world design with flying islands, Bokoblins creating camps on Stone Taluses, Link using some kind of magic flamethrower on his arm, and that weird mechanic where he turns into a drop, jumps through the ground above him, and phases through to the top.

Bolt_Strike

I-U

@MrHonest Why have a Metroid Dread avatar if you think the game is not creative?

@Bolt_Strike Splatoon, Mario Maker, Captain Toad, Pikmin 3, Nintendo Land, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Game & Wario...I don't entirely disagree with you on the Wii U, but I think you're selling it short. I completely disagree though when it comes to the Wii era. There's Super Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime 3, Metroid: Other M, Xenoblade Chronicles, Wii Sports (Resort), Wii Fit, WarioWare: Smooth Moves, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn and FlingSmash to start. The Switch at best has been running even with the Wii. In terms of overall generation though, Switch isn't close once the 3DS games are included with Wii U's and no where near once Nintendo DS games are included with the Wii's. The Switch only looks to be arguably the best creatively when only compared to the console half of the previous two Nintendo generations.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

MrHonest

@I-U It’s possible to like a game and still think it isn’t that creative. Metroid Dread is a great game that being said.

Edited on by MrHonest

MrHonest

MrHonest

@Bolt_Strike I’ll give you Mario odyssey. Rest of the them I disagree with.

MrHonest

Debbiee

The Top 5 biggest things I am disappointed with on Nintendo Switch are

1) Lack of a new Donkey Kong Country or Donkey Kong 3D game especially this year when it is the 40th anniversary. There are rumours one could be in development now but it hasn't been officially confirmed by any sites. Bring back Donkey Kong!!

2) No proper Nintendo eShop where you can buy games from multiple past consoles. This is the one thing I think Nintendo Wii U done better than the Nintendo Switch and I remember there being rumours Switch was going to have all these classic Gamecube and Gameboy games and had things built into the mechanics to play them but all we got was 'Super Mario Sunshine' which I love but was hoping we would get more Gamecube games too.

3) No Super Mario Galaxy 2 and this is a pretty odd one since we can basically play all the major main series Mario games on Nintendo Switch now except for this one. I am surprised they left it out of the Mario 3D Collection or didn't release it as bonus downloadable content.

4) Lack of games in Sega Ages. I was hoping they would continue that and we would get more Sega Master System Games like Dynamite Dux, Teddy Boy, Paper Boy and The Simpsons: Bart vs the Space Mutants along with more Sonic games like Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations.

5) Last but not least I am disappointed we didn't get a new Banjo Kazooie game. I didn't have high hopes since Microsoft owns Rare now but when they added the characters to 'Super Smash Bros' there were a lot of rumours the series could be coming back with a new game or a remake of 'Banjo Kazooie' and 'Banjo Tooie' but we are at least getting 'Yooka Laylee 2' which is made by some of the same creators so I am very happy over that. It is a shame Nintendo didn't buy Rare or 'Banjo Kazooie' though 'cause I think we would have more 'Banjo Kazooie' games now if they had and I was surprised to learn 'Banjo Kazooie' wasn't a Nintendo owned franchise since I thought it was when it was on Nintendo 64.

Debbiee

Bolt_Strike

@I-U Nintendo Land is a minigame compilation of different IPs, I'd hardly call that "creative". Pikmin 3 is a maybe, I don't really know it too well, but it just seems to be Pikmin with multiple characters. Xenoblade Chronicles X just seems to be more Xenoblade. Game & Wario just seems to be more Wario.

As for the Wii, I'll say Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Skyward Sword, Super Paper Mario, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, and Pokepark. Just 1 more than the Switch and the Switch isn't over with, so I think the Switch will ultimately surpass it.

Other M does some different things, but not necessarily positive things so I wouldn't really call that "creative". Donkey Kong Country adds a few new moves but doesn't do much with them and mainly just feels like a prettier version of the original trilogy. Xenoblade is a great, open sandbox game but nothing about it really screams "creative". Smooth Moves and FlingSmash are more maybes I'm not really familiar with.

DS and 3DS have some, but again, DS and 3DS are SD hardware that's much easier to work on and can get games out faster. Wii is also an SD console so that's another unfair comparison.

And I don't think the 3DS had a lot of creative games either really, the 3DS had a few good ones (Mario Kart 7, ALBW, ORAS, Metroid Samus Returns, Mario & Luigi Dream Team, Kirby Planet Robobot) but the overall lineup was somewhat of a letdown. So even 3DS + Wii U is just 9, as many as just the Wii, and again the Switch will probably surpass it. So I would say that Wii U + 3DS was definitely lacking. Wii maybe a bit more, but the Wii also had more games. I'd have to dive deeper on this to confirm, but I think the Switch did better proportionally in terms of creativity than even the Wii + DS (by that I mean a higher percentage of Switch games that I thought were creative over Wii and DS).

@MrHonest Care to elaborate? What exactly is not creative about the mechanics I mentioned?

Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

@Debbiee

1. It's rumored to be almost done and ready to announce, not just in development. Revisit this this time next year and see if DK is still missing. It would've been nice to have for the 40th and who knows, maybe they planned for it but COVID screwed things up.

2. Fair, but the issue brought up in the topic is more in terms of exclusives. Past gen ports aren't really "exclusive".

3. See 2.

4. See 2 again.

5. Nintendo has little to no control over this, that's a Microsoft issue. Best Nintendo could do is pay Microsoft for a Banjo-Threeie and get it released on Switch and Xbox One/Series X, but even that would probably be tough to pull off as Microsoft might want new Banjo games all to themselves (they seem to want Elder Scrolls VI all to themselves). Any remakes would probably be Microsoft exclusives as well. Most likely the best we could've gotten was a Rare Replay port.

Bolt_Strike

Banjo-

rallydefault wrote:

Whew. Just a whiff of this thread and I think Nintendo would be better off without some of you guys lol Enjoy your Halo Infinite season passes. (Not necessarily a knock - I've been playing Infinite and the gameplay is rock solid.)

Nintendo would be even worse if only people like you were their fans.

Banjo-

Snatcher

@BlueOcean Damn burn!

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Banjo-

@Snatcher I mean, if Nintendo have become consumer-unfriendly, imagine what would they do if all fans were so happy with everything-Nintendo. For starters, they wouldn't have admitted there was a problem with the joy-cons, they only admitted after the lawsuits and after the EU threatened them. Their digital polices would be even worse (they are awful), they would charge even more for the hardware, accessories, ports... Every time I see Nintendo acknowledging something is because of the backlash or when they are no longer selling that product. For instance, when they presented new hardware, they bashed the previous one. This is kind of crazy but true and you can read it on all the Iwata Asks interviews.

Banjo-

Snatcher

@BlueOcean This is true. Just think what switch online would be today if it were to those people.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

Banjo-

@Snatcher Imagine that LOL. They still use a phone app for voice chat and it took over four years to include N64 games in a questionable state and for a questionable price 😅.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Snatcher

@BlueOcean It would be 79.99 At this point LMAO.

sixrings

Imagine Nintendo fans who only want Nintendo to respect their past, by not ignoring major Nintendo franchises, to be a thorn in Nintendos side?!

Edited on by sixrings

sixrings

SKTTR

MrHonest wrote:

Honestly I am probably done with Nintendo after this gen. they are easily one of the most anti customer company out there and frankly I am tired of Nintendo sitting there and do nothing. I think that they should focus more on exclusives that they developing internal, but instead they focus more on full price old ports or outsourcing their ips to make games like Mario Golf or Mario Tennis. I feel they were more creative during WII - WII U era because right now Nintendo is lazy.

Sruff like Mario Golf, Mario Tennis doesn’t cut it anymore imo.

Mario Golf and Mario Tennis were never made by Nintendo. Even the first games, Mario Golf (N64, 1998) were made by Camelot. Why? Because they made the best PS1 golf game (Everybody's Golf) so Nintendo wanted them and it worked out.
Every Mario Golf and Mario Tennis game by Camelot is better than any golf and tennis game that was developed in-house.

One per console seems to be a new standard, however I hoped Mario Golf: Super Rush would take some cues from Golf Story. That would be the next step for the series to conquer. This time, at least we got RPG mode for the first time in a "home console" version, but I think Nintendo and Camelot could have taken it one step further. Same for Mario Tennis Aces.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Sorry, this topic has been locked.