Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 8,061 to 8,080 of 70,028

Shinion

@Tasuki You were also a bit late in telling us that, it was already posted on the same page and everything.

But thanks anyway! Hope to see you on the 13th where we can all bathe in rays of glowing sunshine and positivity after a glorious Switch unveiling filled with 'great' (wink-wink nudge-nudge) news.

Edited on by Shinion

Shinion

StuTwo

Maybe I've just missed it in the churn but one thing that's been at the back of my mind for the past couple of weeks is the new 3D Mario game. It just seems to be being taken for granted that it's going to be there at launch or - at the very least - in the launch window. I'm a little sceptical about that.

Firstly Mario Switch hasn't even been officially confirmed. Yes we know a 3D Mario is coming at some point (just b€cau$£) and we've seen some footage in the Switch reveal that appears to be a 3D Mario.

Looks can be decieving though. Maybe it's not a new 3D Mario at all but is instead footage from the rumoured Ubisoft Rabbids crossover? I doubt that (it definitely looks like a 3D Mario game to me!) but I'm not sure it's totally outside the realms of possibility.

Secondly there's an implicit assumption that because Nintendo has shown it on the very first teaser trailer that it follows the game must be nearly complete and we'll get it at or near launch. This isn't always the case. Metroid Prime Hunters was a very early, very impressive and prominent demo for the original DS (the demo even came as a heavily advertised pack-in with the first units) but the finished game didn't show until years later.

Nintendo clearly had to show that Mario is coming at some point and wanted to make clear that it's not "just" a 2D NSMB Switch or "just" a Mario 3D World ("just" one of the best games ever made...) to set the benchmark for expectations but that doesn't necessarily mean they've got the game anywhere near ready for release.

There are sound marketing reasons for them to delay one or both of Mario or Zelda. If they're both "day 1" games they would ensure fantastic early take up of the console but they would risk sucking the oxygen out of the launch for 3rd parties. Nintendo will want some of their 3rd party partners to come out of the launch with a success story to tell to the wider industry and that's less likely to happen if everyone has spent all of their Switch time and money on buying both Mario and Zelda.

Likewise Nintendo will need to have a big "holiday" game because the end of the year is the time when games - especially those with a family friendly focus - have historically sold best. Yes I know that some people will say "Pokemon Stars" (if that is indeed real) but they might also figure that a new 3D Mario is a better bet than a year old handheld port. It would also allow Nintendo to command a lot of positive media attention throughout the year (including at E3).

Personally I'd like to see Mario sooner rather than later but Mario later in the year would make a lot of sense which is a big part of the reason why I'm feeling a little sceptical about it being a launch title.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Buizel

skywake wrote:

And lets face it, devs who supported those platforms? Where else can they go? There isn't really another portable on the market. There isn't really another Nintendo platform.

This is partly why I'm not too worried about third party support.

I think it only needs to be sufficient for the first year (most big multiplats and/or some interesting exclusives) and then it's all down to how well the Switch sells. Only if it sells poorly can I see it going the way of the Wii U.

I also wouldn't put much into Yakuza and Persona not coming to the Switch. Systems have their exclusives, and these are Playstation's. They're also fairly niche games, so while a loss to some of the more dedicated fans on this site, probably don't mean much for the Switch in the long run. Sega have generally been supportive of Nintendo's systems so I'm sure we'll get some Switch exclusives from them.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Buizel

StuTwo wrote:

Looks can be decieving though. Maybe it's not a new 3D Mario at all but is instead footage from the rumoured Ubisoft Rabbids crossover? I doubt that (it definitely looks like a 3D Mario game to me!) but I'm not sure it's totally outside the realms of possibility.

Without getting too analytical, I very much doubt it. It looks and plays like a 3D Mario, with a distinct Nintendo art-style and polish. I'd also like to think Nintendo Nintendo wouldn't tease us with a new 3D Mario (which is in high demand), only to reveal that it's a Rabbids game (probably still desirable, but no-one asked for it).

I think your suggestion is also inconsistent with the rumours out there. As far as I'm aware info on the Rabbids game and the (apparently now complete) 3D Mario have come from the same source - Laura Kate Dale. I'd therefore find it unlikely that the former is real and the latter is false.

At least 2'8".

Shinion

@StuTwo Out of all of Nintendo's launch games, the only one the insiders seem united in their stance in is this Mario game, albeit there is uncertainty as to whether or not it is a launch game. They are convinced however that it is complete and I'm pretty sure they debunked any suggestions that they might be any miscommunications as to what Mario game this is (2D, 3D or Rabbids).

As far as we're led to believe the 3D Mario game was finished recently and was the game responsible for the delay of the Switch teaser video by a few weeks. But as to whether or not it will be released ASAP or if it is withheld a while we'll have to wait for official news it seems.

The Rabbids one is also one we have a good idea of, with the serial leakers at Ubisoft being more than happy to spill the beans on it. There's definitely no confusion as to this game and the 3D one, they've been spoken of separately by LKD for a while now.

Shinion

Buizel

@Whitewatermoose Fates was released in 2015 in Japan so maybe IS didn't have such a busy 2016. I do wonder if we'll get something different from Fire Emblem or Paper Mario.

I wonder if Camelot and Monolith Soft are working on anything.

At least 2'8".

MarcelRguez

@Buizel @Tsurii He also said it would be a more narrative-focused experience, like the original Xenoblade.

About Camelot, they are busy with that Mario sports megamix game for the 3DS. Partially, at least, since Namco is also lending a hand on that one.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Buizel

Good new with Monolith.

Camelot...ah, I forgot about Sports Megamix. Seems like something that could get a Switch port as well. My hope (and probably that of many!) is that we some day get another RPG from them.

At least 2'8".

Azooooz

Time flies fast, people. Remember when Nintendo announced the timing of the Switch event, which was about a month ago? Now we're getting closer: 8 days left! I'm pretty much hyped!

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

Nicolai

If the 3D mario game from the trailer is anything but a 3d Mario game, its a tech demo. They might show it off on Jan 12, saying "this is what Mario will look like on Switch" similar to the E3 2011 Zelda tech demo.

On the one hand, the Switch isn't wholely dependent on a Mario game close to launch (but boy would it help) because BotW is plenty enough to drive sales. On the other hand, the key difference between this footage and the 2011 Zelda tech demo is that the last 3D Mario game was over 3 years ago, when the Zelda demo was shown 6 months before Skyward Sword (which makes you think: what were they thinking releasing a demo that (subjectively) looks better than Skyward Sword before it even comes out?)
They've got to be far enough along in a Mario game to be able to show second-long clips of it in a trailer.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Luna_110

The Monolith team helping with BotW was the Kyoto team, if I remember right, who also helps EAD from time to time.
The Tokyo team should be right in the middle of pre-production or development of their next game, considering Xenoblade launched on 2015. Maybe we'll hear a little whisper of them at the Switch event?

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

IceClimbers

@Whitewatermoose Monster Games is a super small studio and that NASCAR deal is a multiyear deal, so they won't be working with Nintendo anytime soon. I'm fairly confident that Tantalus is working on that rumored Xenoblade X port for Switch.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Grumblevolcano

Maybe Tantalus is working on Twilight Princess HD for Switch

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

MarcelRguez

@Buizel Same here about Camelot. It's weird how Nintendo used to be the de facto console for JRPGs, yet it gets so few nowadays.

@Nicolai I don't think it's a tech demo either. It's not cinematic enough, and there are lots of game-y elements that would be out of place in something that's just supposed to display the capabilities of the system.

@Luna_110 It's a bit too soon for that, in my opinion. Besides, it took way too long for XCX to materialize since it was first shown. I hope they don't make that same mistake with the sequel.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Buizel

@MarcelRguez Well 3DS is arguably the system for JRPGs these days, and the Japanese really like their handheld systems so I'd be really surprised if the Switch was starved of RPGs.

@Nicolai Looks like what would be a very well-polished, high-effort, and completely playable tech demo to me (so probably not one). If that's not a close-to-finished game, I'd have thought it's at least a glimpse of what will eventually be the Switch's 3D Mario. Contrast with the Gamecube and Wii U Zelda tech demos, which as @MarcelRguez said, looked very superficial and graphics-heavy - not really like something you could play.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Octane

@Nicolai That's not the purpose of a tech demo though. They never meant "this is what Zelda will look like on Wii U" when they showed that tech demo, they were simply showing off what the Wii U is capable of rendering in real time. It's the same when they showed the Zelda tech demo for the GameCube, those were never meant to be games, or examples of what their next Zelda game will look like, they were meant to show of the system's computing capabilities. That won't be necessary with the Switch, so I doubt it's a tech demo. They're not going to show concept stuff in a Switch trailer when the release is only a couple of months away, they would've used a different game instead, for example Pikmin 4 or whatever else they're working on.

TL;DR, The Mario game from the trailer is a real game.

Octane

IceClimbers

We have our first fake list leak! It's that time people!

Untitled

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Furealz

Just got an email from Eventbrite for the Toronto Switch Event! Does anyone know how long you get to play, and/or t-shirts prizes given out? So for the people who signed up is it worth it?

Furealz

Nintendo Network ID: Furealz

Octane

Super Mario Frost Land...

Man, they're not even trying anymore, are they?

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic