Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 68,001 to 68,020 of 69,962

Okami1

@TheBigBlue they all say a new direct is coming next week, it really makes you wonder if they really have sources or not.

dysgraphia awareness human

TheBigBlue

@Owl1 source: Geff Jrubb on the funny bird app

Wait, why do we need a signature? Eh, I don’t know. Here’s your signature.

Magician

I've been bottling my gold coins, waiting for Paranormasight to go on discount.

However, Warhammer 40k Boltgun has been getting rave reviews.

Decisions...decisions...

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Grumblevolcano

I think Mario Bros. has taken the lead for how many versions of the same game are on the Switch. You have:

• Arcade Archives Mario Bros.
  • NSO NES Mario Bros.
  • NSO GBA Super Mario Advance
  • NSO GBA Super Mario Advance 2
  • NSO GBA Super Mario Advance 3
  • NSO GBA Super Mario Advance 4

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Magician

Award winning game The Case of the Golden Idol is releasing digitally on Switch tomorrow?

Why did nobody tell me this?

I blame you, you, you, and especially...you.
Untitled

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

TheBigBlue

@Grumblevolcano Mario Bros is also available as a side mode in Superstar Saga, and there’s a Mario Bros themed microgame from WarioWare Mega Microgames. That game will never die

Edited on by TheBigBlue

Wait, why do we need a signature? Eh, I don’t know. Here’s your signature.

mjharper

Not to mention the Mario Bros.-themed versus battles in Super Mario 3 NES. Nintendo loved that game.

mjharper

Switch Friend Code: SW-1710-0829-4896

skywake

Isn't there also SMB Deluxe?

Edit: ignore me Mario Bros not SMB. Although I'm sure SMB gets close

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JaxonH

I just had an epiphany.

The thing I value most in games is exploration (and environmental puzzles when integrated into exploration). Games that nail that are among my favorite games of all time. It's why Zelda Tears of the Kingdom is so good. It's why Metroid Dread and Metroid Prime Remastered are so good. Even games like DKC Tropical Freeze- one of the reasons It's so much better than 2D Mario (and I must stress there are many reasons) is because you explore the stages to find the puzzle pieces and secrets exits. It's why I love Xenoblade Chronicles so much more than Final Fantasy. It's why Pikmin is so good, and so on.

Looking at the current landscape, genuinely rewarding exploration seems to be in serious decline. In its place, hollow, mass produced, formulaic exploration from a checklist has taken its place. And the few games that do dare to try it usually just aren't that fun. Doom and Wolfenstein would be a good example of an exception to the rule, and it's probably why they're my favorite FPS.

I do like other games- Monster Hunter, for example, isn't really an applicable genre (though Rise and World did incorporate things like hidden scrolls and base camps, which loved). Trials Rising is not applicable, it's just precision, skill based gameplay. Portal 2 is just environmental puzzles, despite being linear. I love all these games, so it's not that I only like games with rewarding exploration.

But usually, the only games I still like despite not having it are games where it just doesn't apply. If a game releases where it feels applicable, it becomes non-negotiable.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Buizel

It's just hitting me how starved we are for new mainline Mario content at this point.

If we discount Super Mario Maker 2 as a spin-off, and Bowser's Fury as simply additional content, it's been almost 6 years since our last new mainline Mario title.

Compare this with the Wii (U) and (3)DS eras where we seemingly got a new 2D or 3D title almost every year, it's quite striking.

That said, it's not the longest we've been without mainline Mario (I think that award goes to Mario 64 -> Sunshine). But we're getting pretty close...

At least 2'8".

Ralizah

One mainline 3D Mario per gen is the norm, with the games releasing early on to drive adoption of the new hardware. Considering how high-quality they tend to be, I'm cool with that.

Unfortunately, I think Nintendo lost their taste for 2D Mario a long time ago, and simply went with the NSMB series for so long because they were easy money. Mario Maker seems to be the replacement for 2D Mario now.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Magician

With Bowser's Fury, wouldn't that qualify as us already been given two 3D Mario games this generation?

Ralizah

@Magician If you count that as its own game.

It's sort of like those Xenoblade expansions, where they're clearly not as big as the full games, but they still feel like satisfying and complete experiences in their own right. Just on a smaller scale.

I don't think most people think of Bowser's Fury as 'the next Mario,' though, anymore than Torna would have been a substitute for Xenoblade 3.

Edited on by Ralizah

Buizel

@Ralizah Yeah the lack of 2D Mario absolutely makes the difference. As you mention, we've been getting 3D Mario at a slow and steady pace (with a few outliers like Galaxy 2 and 3D Land) of one per console generation, so the peaks and troughs come down to what's happening with the 2D games (the aforementioned "drought" between 64 and Sunshine was also a time in which Nintendo had "given up" on 2D Mario).

It'd be a shame for them to resign 2D Mario to Mario Maker. It's a great tool - and the premade levels in SMM2 are actually excellent - but I would love to see Nintendo innovate in that space again. I personally think they had a winning formula with 3D Land and World (yes, I personally consider these to be closer to the 2D games than the 3D ones)...so if they choose not to go 2D again I'm sure there's a lot they can do with a 3D World sequel.

At least 2'8".

Magician

That Neva game is giving me some serious Princess Mononoke vibes.

Count me in.

Edited on by Magician

skywake

Bowser's Fury I wouldn't exclude because it could have easily been a game by itself. I'm still kinda surprised it wasn't.

Also when we're talking about the Wii U and 3DS era Mario games sure, we had more. But 3D World was the biggest of those titles for 3D. And that game, as much as I loved it, isn't really a "mainline 3D Mario game". I feel like that line goes 64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1&2, Odyssey.... the Wii U was skipped....

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Grumblevolcano

Seems like it's not long now until we find out if there'll be a Direct this summer. The way Nintendo's approached the Booster Course Pass so far (at any point in time, at least 1 track at that point is exclusive to the pass) strongly suggests that wave 5 will be announced before June 8th.

Examples of the exclusivity are:

• DS Shroom Ridge (announced for the pass on February 9th 2022, announced for Tour on February 17th 2023)
  • Yoshi's Island (announced for the pass on February 8th 2023, announced for Tour on March 30th 2023)
  • GCN Waluigi Stadium (announced for the pass on March 2nd 2023)

The Mii outfit tease at the end of the video for the tour being announced in 2 weeks and teased the day before suggests there's going to be a Waluigi Mii outfit which would mean GCN Waluigi Stadium is coming in that tour (Nintendo pairs Mii outfits with tracks based on the original character where possible and GCN Waluigi Stadium is the only Waluigi track not yet in Tour). That track is the last track of the Booster Course Pass which is currently exclusive to the pass.

If Nintendo decides to reveal wave 5 on its own, we can pretty much safely assume there's no Direct this summer.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

@Magician It'll never stop amusing me how the 'malice' tentacles that ruin Link's arm in TotK are literally just those hatred tentacles from Princess Mononoke that infect Ashitaka's right arm. Even the look of the cursed arms is similar in the immediate aftermath.

Of course, games borrowing from Ghibli is nothing new. It's almost impossible to picture what a lot of early 3D JRPGs would have looked like in a world where Castle in the Sky wasn't a thing.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic