Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 6,541 to 6,560 of 70,065

-SD-

Wouldn't surprise me to see Animal Crossing at or near launch just so they can shift all the amiibo that are still sat on store shelves.

SNK - The Future is Now

skywake

@BiasedSonyFan
I think you're over-analysing it. The fact is that BotW is a bigger deal than any of those games that launched on the Wii U in the first year. The 3D Mario game is potentially the same deal. Mario Kart? Well it may be a port but most people haven't played it. As a new Mario Kart it's a bigger deal than all of those games that launched on the Wii U in the first year. Same deal with Splatoon.

When I say its more interesting than the Wii U was in the first year already? I mean it in that sense. The Wii U in the first year had 3D World and Wind Waker as the system sellers. Those were the only two games that got people buying the system. The Switch already has four killer apps. Games that people who skipped the Wii U will be all over. For people who got the Wii U sure there's less on offer but at the same time. Would I get Splatoon on the 3DS if it was announced tomorrow? 100%. I don't see how the Switch is different.

Throw in a few surprises? Like a HD remaster of some GC era game from Tantalus, a new game from Retro or something else from Nintendo's internal studios. Animal Crossing? Metroid Prime HD? Something from Platinum games? This library could get pretty compelling very quickly.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

IceClimbers

The Wii U didn't get a main series Animal Crossing because one wasn't in development. Splatoon was largely developed by the same team that usually makes AC (though I'm not sure it's the same director/producer).

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

skywake

@BiasedSonyFan
Of course it's all entirely subjective. But if you ask me the most compelling Wii U games in that first year were Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD and 3D World. And ports or otherwise the four first party games for the Switch that are all but confirmed? They interest me more than those games did.

To put it another way, if I was to rank how hyped I am/was for these 10 games:
1. Zelda: BotW
2. Mario Switch
3. Wind Waker HD
4. Splatoon Switch
5. Pikmin 3
6. 3D World
7. Mario Kart Switch
8. The Wonderful 101
9. Nintendo Land
10. New SMB U

And that's before we know what other games there are. For all we know there's something along the lines of Animal Crossing or Pikmin in the works. There's potentially one or more HD remasters from the GC/Wii era. It's already a more interesting lineup than the Wii U had in that first year IMO. The potential for even more? That's pretty cool.

Edited on by skywake

Monkey_Balls

Just wondering (and I'm sure the tech-savvy among you could probably provide an answer) but do you think it would be possible (or a good idea) for DLC to be downloaded directly to the relevant game cartridges rather than the system?

For example, [insert game title here] is 10 GB and it's on a 16 GB cartridge - future DLC is added into the remaining 6 GB so the complete game is on the cartridge. This would help to free up the system's storage, but is it feasible? What complications could there be, etc?

If it's a daft idea, feel free to tell me. Just a random thought I had.

Edited on by Monkey_Balls

Monkey_Balls

Nintendo Network ID: widdowk

skywake

@Monkey_Balls
It's best not to think of cartridges as writable storage, they can have a section that's writable but most of it is read only. For cost reasons. So when they have a 10GB game on a 16GB cartridge that 6GB isn't available to write on. It doesn't work like that. What they'd have to do is make the game on a 16GB ROM chip and include 8GB of writable flash for patches. Which would push the cost of the game up significantly.

Better to just have patches and DLC put on the system itself rather than the cartridge. It's a far more efficient use of storage. Because for all they know you might not buy the DLC or the DLC might be a bit more than the flash they included in the cartridge. Then you've paid for flash you're not using.

Edited on by skywake

Monkey_Balls

@skywake Ha, so it was a daft idea then. I had a feeling cost would be a factor but was mostly wondering how (if possible) it could be executed and if such a thing was viable. Well explained; thanks.

Monkey_Balls

Nintendo Network ID: widdowk

Randomname19

Gamecube Virtual Console would be way better than remasters.Or,at least,both.There's no way Nintendo will remaster Melee.

Avatar by AzulieZeiro and BeanMChocolate

Azooooz

I am very curious about the accessories of the Switch. I don't think the Joy-Con and the Pro Controllers are the only control options. There has to be more.

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

skywake

Randomname19 wrote:

Gamecube Virtual Console would be way better than remasters.Or,at least,both.There's no way Nintendo will remaster Melee.

I think it depends on the game. For a game like Melee I'd agree that there's not much point in a remaster. But I think a lot of people would still like access to it digitally. But for other games there's value in a remastered version. Scrolling through the list of GC and Wii games I'd be seriously interested in HD remasters of some of those titles. Skyward Sword, Super Mario Galaxy, The Metroid Prime Trilogy. How about a Pikmin Trilogy? There are some options in there.

Edited on by skywake

Therad

Azooooz wrote:

I am very curious about the accessories of the Switch. I don't think the Joy-Con and the Pro Controllers are the only control options. There has to be more.

Why does it have to be more?

Therad

Octane

@Therad Cause you can easily swap them out for different control configurations. And it's Nintendo.. Add them together and you get different Joy-Con accessories.

Octane

gcunit

Therad wrote:

Azooooz wrote:

Why does it have to be more?

Because Kimishima has pretty much said as much:

KingKimishima wrote:

By no means was that everything [in the preview trailer]. [On the ecosystem] It may be appropriate to call them accessories. Or it might be better to call them add-on hardware. It's probably more correct to call them accessories. You can assume that there will be a wider array.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

SLIGEACH_EIRE

3D Mario will be showcased on January event

She(Emily Rogers) then leaked that the new 3D Mario is going to be showcased at Nintendo's upcoming January event. It will be featuring a lot more exploration compared to the traditional 3D World & Galaxy. Additionally, Rogers also gave her comments on the console's very first-party lineup for the first six to eight months, stating that it's "amazing" and "will completely blow away Nintendo Wii U's first year". If her statement proves true, this could spell very good news for Nintendo since the console already seems to have way more 3rd-party support than the Wii U.

http://www.itechpost.com/articles/51332/20161108/nintendo-swi...

https://twitter.com/arcadegirl64

Edited on by SLIGEACH_EIRE

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Therad

I wanted to know why the switch needed extra controllers, not if they are planning. He seemed disappointed by what he saw, and I wanted to know why.

Therad

JoyBoy

THERE HAS TO BE MORE!!!

Actually I hope they keep it a bit simple this time. I'm all for customizable joycons, but let's not get into Wii territory here. This thing should not resemble in any way the wii/wiiu I think.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Mogster

Not sure if this is 'news' or not, but I noticed on my FB news feed that the offical Nintendo Switch page literally just (about five minutes ago) went on a 'like' spree for other Nintendo pages, including the Splatoon, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros, Mario Kart and Super Mario page. Whether this means something or not...I dunno!

Mogster

TuVictus

Well, we already know ports of all of Those will be on the switch at some point. Animal crossing is arguably the only one that would be interesting if it meant something

TuVictus

Luna_110

@Whitewatermoose
I think its more likely to be controllers than AR or VR. The last two are still technology in development and high in costs - look at the price of PS VR. I doubt that is something they want to push for customers right now and maybe scare them away with price, or with extra add ons that may confuse the message.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

TuVictus

Googles thing works cuz the actual important hardware is in your $700 phone already. Assuming the switch has a gyroscope, it's feasible to strap a giant screen holder to your face to use it for vr in a similar fashion

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic