Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 6,501 to 6,520 of 70,065

Moshugan

skywake wrote:

They're saying it's further along than Zelda

No one said that it's further along than Zelda. Rogers said that it's further along than people think it is. Nothing more.

My Super Mario Maker 2's Maker ID: R7B-M93-5GF

Nintendo Network ID: Moshugan

skywake

Moshugan wrote:

skywake wrote:

They're saying it's further along than Zelda

No one said that it's further along than Zelda. Rogers said that it's further along than people think it is. Nothing more.

But that was the implication. And even so, and as I said in the bit you didn't quote, that doesn't mean Zelda is behind. If the rumour is correct it just means Mario is a lot further along than people think it is. As I said, if Mario is the launch title and Zelda:BotW launches within the year (i.e. by November 2017)? That's still one hell of a start to a console. I don't see how anyone can spin this as bad news.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Moshugan

@skywake I don't get that implication from the language used nor from any other tweet. But anyway, great stuff if it comes before summer!

My Super Mario Maker 2's Maker ID: R7B-M93-5GF

Nintendo Network ID: Moshugan

Haruki_NLI

@skywake How can anyone spin that as a bad thing? You havent been a Nintendo fan on the wider internet my friend. And I envy that.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

gcunit

Given that the reveal trailer gave some focus to multiplayer with the Joy-cons, at the moment I'm expecting a 'party' game to launch with the Switch, and my guess would be MK8*. Which, if that were the case, I'd be a bit surprised for a Mario game to launch at the same time.

So I'm expecting BotW at launch, and then the new Mario 3D game to come along in July/August to keep the hype right up over the summer. But that's not allowing for any new IPs that might affect that thinking.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Shinion

@BLP_Software Lemme try:

Rumour- "Nintendo are well into development of a new 3D Mario game for their new system that is virtually complete. It will also be more open ended and exploratory than previous ones".

Predictable negative Nacies- "OMG ZELDA CANNED ON Wii U AND THE SWITCH IS A PORT CONSOLE?!?! Nintendo why u no lsiten to your fans!? Let's hope/pray for bad news so that we can complain about bad news and be happy for the bad news even when there's literally nothing pointing to bad news we need to expect it and preempt it because bad news is good!......... I think."

Done and done.

Shinion

TuVictus

Lol being around for a Nintendo console launch, is it always like this on the forum?

TuVictus

FragRed

@Operative I don't think I paid much attention to what was said for the Wii U in the run up to launch. I'd already made my mind up, put down for a pre-order and bought it day one on the way to work. So this is the first time I've really taken any notice. But my guess is this is normal.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Octane

@Operative I don't know, but I had a good laugh. We went from a rumour, to someone suggesting what it might mean if it were true. Then a bunch of more posts happened, and now we're suggesting that there are people claiming that other people are claiming that the Switch is doomed if it doesn't release with Zelda. Even though that statement was never made here. It does give me a bit of a headache thinking about it though..

Octane

TuVictus

@Octane makes my head hurt too. But I guess it's fun for some to get angry about imaginary things

TuVictus

Shinion

@Whitewatermoose it's not just about it being bad form and burning bridges with the Nintendo faithful (though it is partly both of those things) it is the fact that it is a Wii U game they have developed for a long time by their standards that they will cancel... why again? Like there is no logic at all to support this. Say what you will about the Wii U and it being the antithesis to sales but Nintendo recently said that they want this game to sell 2 million at least and you look at the Wii U library and of its biggest games they've all managed 1 million with some going way beyond that, this game will surely be another to add to that, regardless of the Switch version.

Nintendo would just be dropping money for little to no reason. Obviously not what a business should be doing.

Shinion

IceClimbers

I think Zelda really needs to be a launch title. You risk some major backlash otherwise. If the game comes out in April/May, people might be a bit miffed, but they'll deal with it. Holiday 2017? Yikes.

While 3D Mario seems close to completion based on what Emily said, and will be a big seller, it isn't the game that's been heavily anticipated for years. They didn't base an entire E3 around it. Therefore you can push it back to whenever seems necessary.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

TuVictus

If they're going to launch with a Mario Kart 8 port, I'd prefer if they didn't have another Mario game at the same time. Despite them being completely different games, it's still "mario" if that makes sense. Either way though, I'll be happy

TuVictus

IceClimbers

It's better to space out your big hitters. Releasing both at launch would make the release schedule top heavy, which will backfire later. Gotta keep up momentum. Also, if both were released at launch then it would suffocate every other release, both 1st and 3rd party (with the exception of a possible MHXX port in Japan, which doesn't have to worry about Zelda). Great way to kill off your 3rd party support. It needs to be one or the other.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

TuVictus

IceClimbers wrote:

It's better to space out your big hitters. Releasing both at launch would make the release schedule top heavy, which will backfire later. Gotta keep up momentum. Also, if both were released at launch then it would suffocate every other release, both 1st and 3rd party (with the exception of a possible MHXX port in Japan, which doesn't have to worry about Zelda). Great way to kill off your 3rd party support. It needs to be one or the other.

Yeah that's the general idea of it. As cool as it would be for both to release at the same time, is it smarter to have two huge games at launch then none till winter or one at launch, then another at winter

TuVictus

Octane

@BiasedSonyFan Publishers don't release their games willy-nilly. There's a reason why Sony didn't release The Last Guardian or Gravity Rush 2 in November for example. It's not that the devs not confident in their games, but releasing your games against two blockbusters, two guaranteed million sellers, means that you'll be missing out on sales. A safer strategy is to wait with the release when there's not much else coming out.

This isn't true for all games though, but third parties have never had a big presence on Nintendo consoles and they know that. This is especially true for the games that are already niche to begin with.

Octane

erv

So, how long will it take for the average concern to be about hardware and manufacturing shortages?

I know everyone is going to get there at some point?

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Octane

@BiasedSonyFan In the end, yes, but I also think that it's in Nintendo's interest to keep the third parties satisfied. Even if we combine the software output of the 3DS and Wii U, it pales in comparison to the dozens of games that release on other consoles and PC each week. That being said, Zelda and Mario at launch means that the games will also cannibalise each other's sales. What if one launches with the Switch and the other launches in May? Enough time to give both games the room they need, but not too separated that it really matters. I definitely expect one of the Wii U ports to launch with the system as well. Presumably Mario Kart, considering the consistent high sales of the franchise. What about Pikmin 4? Something smaller like that would make sense to launch alongside the Switch with either Zelda or Mario Kart. Regardless of what they do, the fact that either Zelda or Mario is a likely launch game, along with Mario Kart and/or Splatoon, makes the Switch launch library one of the better launch libraries.

Octane

Grumblevolcano

@Whitewatermoose #6903 I don't think another E3 focused on BotW would be wise which is what that would create.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic