Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 64,701 to 64,720 of 65,609

Ralizah

@TheJGG The combat system itself is fine. Just modified press turn combat, like other modern Persona games. There's not much fundamentally different between P5R combat, which is easy on the hardest difficulty, and SMT IV difficulty, which can be pretty challenging on even the the normal setting. It's the damage scaling and whatnot that are out of wack. Also, Persona is more forgiving in ways that make it easy to play sloppily. Like, you won't lose turns in P5 if you use a powerful multi-target spell, and one of the enemies happens to drain it, like you would in an SMT game.

Edited on by Ralizah

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

KilloWertz

@JaxonH It's unfortunate that the game industry has turned into the movie industry for the last quarter of the year. There's always a bunch of movies that get released on Christmas even though there's no way more than a handful of them can do anything at the box office, but now we're having tons of games coming out on all platforms that there's no way to play them all until well into next year. I'm not going to list them all, but even just on PS5, you have God of War Ragnarok, Gotham Knights, Ys VIII, A Plague Tale: Requiem, another Call of Duty, The Callisto Protocol, and that's leaving out several other games that are either coming out then or early next year.

Obviously it's happening also with the Switch, especially given that there's plenty of ports to go along with new releases. It is what it is, and honestly in the end it might be a good thing because some of them might go on sale by the time you're ready to play them (3rd party titles more likely as 1st party ones can take forever to go on sale), but it is still strange to release so many games all at once basically.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Maxenmus

@KilloWertz
It's a natural part of the capitalism cycle: saturation. Then things get over-saturated, and they have to find ways to rescue their IPs, and the cycle renews all over again.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

Ralizah

@Grumblevolcano I ALWAYS hear complaining about partner showcases. A certain subset of people just refuse to play anything on the system that's not a core first-party title, and resent anyone who is happy with Switch announcements from third parties. Anyway, that stream you mentioned was just as beloved by some people as it was "infamous" with the Mario and Zelda only crowd, since it not only re-revealed SMT V, but also revealed Nocturne HD.

2022 hasn't been a bad year for fans of Playstation properties. There's giant gaps in the release schedule, of course, but that's ALWAYS the case with Sony now. Horizon, Gran Turismo, and God of War are some of the biggest properties Sony has, and those are all releasing this year. Spider-Man 2 was also dated for next year.

You know who is just perpetually suffering? Anyone waiting for Microsoft to develop a solid first-party release schedule. I've never seen a company suffer such painfully long first-party droughts!

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Ryu_Niiyama

@Ralizah personally I have always believed that xbox functions best as a multiplat system. If you aren’t into Sony for whatever reason (me, I hate their controller) the xbox is essentially a low grade PC (technically under the hood they both are but that wasn’t always the case) especially now that MS has locked down much of the major western devs under their banner. Xbox between gamepass and its dev situation it is the best sand box.

Nothing major from an exclusive side but just about everything else goes there. They are like the opposite of wii/wwiu Nintendo. You go to Sony and Nintendo for exclusives, but everything else is usually on the Microsoft ecosystem (especially if you fold windows back into that). As such I don’t think xbox fans are hurting.

While they have exclusives it has never been the range of Sony or Nintendo so I think fans know what they have. I just bought a PS5 because right now that is cheaper than upgrading my PC (plus no new TES) but honestly I think a person with a switch and pc with a gamepass sub could play just about everything. Especially now that Sony is dumping first party games on PC. And xbox gets like 60-70 percent of what PC gets so a fair amount of overlap.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Grumblevolcano

@Ralizah It's not normally this long for Sony droughts though poor communication makes it a lot worse than usual. Like the last 1st party PS game drought (before the current one) had multiple State of Plays, a Playstation Showcase and presence at multiple Geoff Keighley events. This time there was some info in June but mostly PS news nowadays seems to just be Jim Ryan talking about PC, live service and subscriptions. There's not even anything Sony at Gamescom Opening Night Live.

As for Microsoft, they've had 1st party problems since Game Pass started in 2017. Sure MCC was a mess for awhile and Halo 5's campaign was poorly received but apart from those, Xbox had a solid lineup from September 2014 to February 2017 both in terms of quantity and quality. After Halo Wars 2 there were big problems in the lineup which Game Pass kind of acts to hide those problems. With Game Pass being rough since April, I get the feeling Microsoft are heavily relying on the Activision acquisition going through sooner rather than later.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

I've given up on Xbox ever having a compelling exclusive lineup. The best they'll offer is one decent exclusive per year, on average. Some years we see none, other years we might see two.

Maybe one day, with all those studios they bought, they'll start seeing the fruit of their acquisitions and MS will start to release at a more regular cadence. I thought that would be this gen, but it's looking more and more like, if it is this gen, it'll be the tail end.

PS has plenty of exclusives. They don't have the issues Xbox has. Though they have lost a mega ton of previous exclusives these past few years for a variety of reasons- some 3rd parties who just want to expand to other platforms, some 3rd parties who are tired of taking Sony's bribe money and bork their brand's growth long term, some are 1st party forced to go multiplat like The Show, and part of it is Sony's own decision to release on PC. Even despite all that, they still have a far more compelling lineup than Xbox. Which speaks volumes, really.

Switch is in a unique position though. They have their exclusives, most definitely, but what gives them the edge is any multiplat on the system offers something you can't get anywhere else- every game is exclusively hybrid. Ya, you might be able to play it on another system, but you won't be able to play it in 3 different formats with gyro aiming. Not to say exclusives don't matter most- they do. But it helps make Switch a viable platform for 3rd parties because enough ppl want to play those games on Switch, and having vibrant 3rd party support is partly what's made Switch so attractive. Even if all the top selling games are 1st party- the hype and buzz and word of mouth is often from 3rd parties, as my coworker bought for hybrid Skyrim and another bought for hybrid Diablo 3. These ppl exist.

1st Party Game Sale, Physical and Digital for $39.99 on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A24185921011

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Splatoon 3, Xenoblade 3, MH Rise Sunbreak, Radiant Silvergun and dozens of other STGs
PC/SD:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

Game had the most realistic looking water of any game ever released up to that point.

I remember being blown away at how good the water looked in that game back in the mid-late 90's, whenever it was it released.

PLAYING
NS: Splatoon 3, Xenoblade 3, MH Rise Sunbreak, Radiant Silvergun and dozens of other STGs
PC/SD:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

Kermit1

@JaxonH that water still looks good.

Stay Hydrated

Currently playing: Valkyria Chronicles

DA-2802-3315-4367

#TeamSlime

known to be quirky on occasion

Anti-Matter

I still prefer jet ski from Go Vacation.

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

StuTwo

Wave Race 64 was always such a perfect arcade racing game that I spent a lot of time wondering “what if Nintendo hadn’t given up on arcades in the 80’s but instead carried on Sega style”.

I mean given they walked back into a genre and owned it what might they have done…

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Ryu_Niiyama

Folks keep screaming for Mario Kart 9 but I would love to see the MK team be handed a wave race/1080 revival. Crusin proves arcade racing still has an audience right?

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Anti-Matter

Untitled

Official cover of Doraemon: Story of Seasons - Friends of the Great Kingdom Switch version.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

link3710

Ralizah wrote:

I dunno about M&L getting more attention. Didn't the developer for those games fold because nobody was buying them?

I feel like any series that is regularly hitting a minimum of 2 million in sales for a budget release is doing pretty good when it comes to consumer interest.

The fact that making the terrible decision that was Paper Jam (which still sold over a million copies mind you), shouldn't have put the company in a position where all it could do was rerelease old games on a dead system.

link3710

Buizel

TBH I'm feeling at this point that, if Nintendo are going to bring back a Mario RPG, they're going to have to go hard.

I'm thinking a new series. Like Paper Mario was to Mario RPG, and M&L to Paper Mario.

Even with the improvements to Origami King, it's clear that Nintendo doesn't see Paper Mario as a traditional RPG anymore. And Mario and Luigi, though reasonably successful, began to stagnate a little in its later life (I can't imagine it drawing in a massive new crowd on the Switch unless they did something particularly innovative).

At least 2'8".

Grumblevolcano

@Ryu_Niiyama MK8 Deluxe continuing to get more tracks until it has every track in the franchise while dormant racing franchises like F-Zero and Wave Race return would be cool.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ryu_Niiyama

@Grumblevolcano agreed. MK8DX is in a really amazing space right now. It’s kinda the Ultimate mario kart.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

NeonPizza

I don't get the praise for Cruis'n Blast. It's hardly a step above Shovelware. With it's rubber band cheap AI, feather weight physics, it's such a hollow and shallow experience that I just can't get on board with. It's too bad, because themitically it's balls to the walls arcade crazy, wild and pretty out there, which I'm totally down for since i detest racing sims, but alas.

I didn't really like the demo for Chocobo Racing GP either. Why settle for less when there's a little something called Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and it's 'half generation' behind in graphics looking DLC courses. lol

Edited on by NeonPizza

"ExcuuuUUUUSE ME, Princess!"
Switch Friend Code: SW-1323-8872-2420
I demand Crystal Pepsi & Noid Domino's Pizza!

Grumblevolcano

The Square Enix 2022 insanity continues, the Life is Strange collection which was delayed for Switch has now been given a September 27th release date.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic