Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 64,661 to 64,680 of 70,011

Kermit1doesmath

From everything I've been seeing online and in my own research it seems we are getting a new Animal Crossing game around 2024 (that is if nothing changes in the world).

dysgraphia awareness human

gcunit

@JaxonH Percentages you say?

Untitled

2023: 45%
2024: 25%
2025: 30%

But as I say, I am now committed, I'm putting everything I've got on 2024.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

chapuH

@JaxonH I'll jump on the TOTK / mario game? bandwagon.
2023: 55%
2024: 25%
2025: 20%

Hope you're having a good day.

kkslider5552000

Giancarlothomaz wrote:

i miss when Reggie e Iwata actualy cared about us, Nintendo sadly is acting now like another EA.

This is such a lazy comparison. EA's greed is a very different level than Nintendo's greed in most regards, and Nintendo level greed is a more unique situation and outside of those certain unique examples (mostly involving their love of selling games at launch day price for as long as they can) doesn't stand out in the grand scheme of video game companies as notably bad compared to the others (doubly so companies in general).

But clearly, everyone, we found the two and only two greedy AAA video game companies! No need to look at literally every other one of remotely similar size and relevance!

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Giancarlothomaz

@Eagly the pandemic messed up with everyone, also increasing development cost for games forced them to increase the price of the games, i will not be suprised if Nintendo increase the price of it games of $60 to $70/$90 when they launch the Switch sucessor. today rarely you see a big budget game with a development cost less then $100 milions dolars or more.

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

skywake

Ralizah wrote:

@Magician I'd be shocked if Switch 2 wasn't b/c. Nintendo consistently supports b/c between their portable hardware generations, going back at least one gen.

I wouldn't hold much value in this precedent at all, it's entirely arbitrary. What gives me more confidence is the fact that A. The Switch has an insanely huge install base and B. We can be pretty damn confident NVidia is still working with Nintendo

Also as a side note, the idea that the current outline of Switch support suggests no new hardware is jumping the gun a bit. For one thing there is nothing at all to suggest new hardware is not also Switch. But more importantly, even if it is a "new generation", there has with rare exception always been some generational overlap. From memory Wii U -> Switch is the only occasion where support dried up almost entirely to clear the way. And that was obviously not the same situation

Honestly the thing that I'm most uneasy about is how Nintendo will handle the transition in terms of digital rights and sales. Because as much as it makes no technical sense I could see them potentially charging to have your games "converted" and/or forcing you to re-buy your games. Because that's just how Nintendo Nintendos. This is also the reason why I'm so against the people who are out here begging for an entirely new "generation" of console, which IMO has absolutely zero meaning other than being an excuse to resell games

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JaxonH

@skywake
I very much doubt they’d charge.

We have numerous examples of BC, to the extent we can generalize it as the rule rather than the exception. The one and only time they charged was if you wanted your Wii VC game to upgrade to the Wii U VC version, which was completely optional, and in no way hindered anyone from simply playing their original Wii VC games for free via BC. It required extra programming to create native Wii U versions, and then allowed cheap upgrades for around $1 - 1.50, not unsimilar to native PS5 upgrades for $10, while the normal BC version is still available for free.

In fact, I’d be in favor of that. If they were to port certain Switch games to become native Switch 2 games that weren’t running on BC, and thus benefitted from performance/features upgrades, I’d pay a small fee for that, at least for certain games that would benefit. For the rest I’d just play via BC.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

@skywake A company consistently supporting backwards compatibility along all of their portable hardware lines from the 80s up through the 3DS is hardly arbitrary, lol.

Bottom line:
A: It's what they've done with every other handheld
B: There shouldn't be a big shake-up in architecture or form factor again
C: They'll want people to keep buying popular evergreen Switch titles

I don't see why it wouldn't be able to play Switch games.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

skywake

@JaxonH @Ralizah
The GBA eventually dropped GB BC, the DS eventually dropped GBA BC. I mean you say since the 80s @Ralizah for portables but we're effectively talking (excluding VB) 7 distinct pieces of hardware and 4 "generations". So really just 3 transitions two of which they eventually broke BC for

But that's just the portable side. The Wii U locked out GC compatibility despite the hardware being fully capable and the Wii eventually dropped GC. And outside of those two examples? There has been no history of BC. I mean there are technical reasons why that was the case.... but there were also no technical hurdles to recognising Wii purchases on Wii U or cross platform purchases between Wii U and 3DS

Also the elephant in the room, the Wii U/3DS -> Switch transition. Absolutely nothing happened with that in terms of purchase recognition despite having a digital account for the Wii U from day 1. Of course there was physical and technical incompatibilities there, not denying that. But how many games were ported from Wii U? And what's stopping them from making the cartridges slot on a "successor" physically incompatible?

My brain tells me that it makes sense for them to have this smooth transition to a new hardware iteration. That it'll be almost entirely transparent to users other than improved performance. But I'm setting my expectations very, very low especially when the comments section screams "Switch 2 not Switch Pro". I'm going into this working on the assumption that when new hardware releases it'll be day 0 again. That I'll have to choose which platform to buy TotK on and if I want to revisit Bayonetta 3 at a higher resolution/refresh rate or Metroid Dread in HDR I'll have to buy them again at full price

Because that's how consoles be

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Giancarlothomaz

@skywake if Switch sucessor change the way it use of physical media of cartidge to something similar to blue-ray disk, then Nintendo will exclude backward compartibity on the console, Switch sucessor backward compartibity on Switch, will depend if the console will keep using cartdridge for pyshical games like Switch do or they gonna change for another format for it pshycal games(assuming Switch sucessor is not a all digital console).

Edited on by Giancarlothomaz

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

GrailUK

Nintendo explicitily stated that they were starting from square one with Switch. So to put stock in the next system not having backwards compatibility is misguided as their intent was stated before we could buy the system (and let's also be fair, it didn't hinder sales any!) and they are probably more inline with the industry going forward.

We still haven't had a price drop on Switch yet*. So wouldn't next year be too soon for a successor? Sure their market share will drop as others can get stock on shelves, but that's healthy. What I get from Youtubers and their ilk is they are treating Nintendo as being in direct competition with them. They are in the same market, but whereas Sony and Microsoft are fighting in the same space, the Switch does actually exist in it's own gap (although like they said, others I'm sure will start moving in, like Steam Deck.) so they more than likely have something planned to keep the Switch fresh but...

Software sells consoles. Not specs. It's also the endgame for those hardware sales. Zelda TotK is going to be huge based on the reactions already it doesn't need a new console to sell it! It's all fine and dandy to look at hardware sales, but remember, they are out of date the moment they are posted. October looks to have been a massive month.

They finally said (last year was it?) they finally had a new idea for Mario Kart. So give that about 3-4 years development and I reckon you'll have a launch game for their next system. I mean, it's always in the charts. It's a system seller. And that would put Nintendo Switch's life cycle at about 10 years.

I must say, it's funny how the less I know, the longer my posts are hahah!

*Granted, with costs increasing and some consoles rrp going up, it might be that it kinda has had one by not going up. So I might be sleeping here (and I sleep much better than be able to predict what Nintendo is going to do hahaha!)

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

GrailUK

@Giancarlothomaz
Notice how the Switch and the next system are in a big encompassing circle? It's to promote confidence in this sort of thing. (So I'm inclined to expect bc and will be disappointed in the unlikely event it doesn't.)

Untitled

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Grumblevolcano

Seems they're restocking Bayonetta 1 physical later this year.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

Wow. Bayonetta 3 starts off giving very strong impressions!

Game looks insanely good on Switch OLED. Absolutely gorgeous. And the quality all around is top notch. Don't sleep on this game!

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

gcunit

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Seems they're restocking Bayonetta 1 physical later this year.

This be absolute horse ****.

Restock once more...? Rather implies the restock will be pitifully small and the exact same situation as XC3 extras is going to happen again. SMH FFS FML.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Ralizah

Just finished Triangle Strategy's "golden route."

What an experience this game has been! After two playthroughs and 82 hours, I think I'm ready to hang this up.

I might go back to this at some point in order to grind materials to finish customizing my characters and see the two endings I missed (I kept my save right before the final story branch), but I feel pretty satisfied with my time with the game overall.

At this point, I'm ready to call it: this is the best tactical RPG I've ever played. Even better than my favorite Fire Emblems. Aside from a few niggles, it's a masterful exercise in expert game design.

BTW, this is one of those games where you get a different title screen after completing the best ending. It's gnarly.

Edited on by Ralizah

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Switch is the ultimate system for strategy games.

Eventually we'll have this spread:

• Triangle Strategy
  • Fire Emblem Three Houses (5 routes total with DLC expansion)
  • Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes (much more of a strategy game than I expected)
  • Fire Emblem Engage
  • Mario Rabbids Kingdom Battle
  • Mario Rabbids Sparks of Hope
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Valkyria Chronicles 4
  • Civilization VI
  • XCOM 2
  • Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIV
  • South Park Fractured But Whole
  • 13 Sentinels
  • Tactics Ogre Reborn
  • Brigandine
  • Metal Slug Tactics
  • Marvel Midnight Suns
  • Advance Wars 1+2 Re-boot Camp
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe
  • Pikmin 4
  • Into the Breach
  • Wargroove
  • Steamworld Heist
  • Banner Saga Trilogy
  • Disgaea 1
  • Disgaea 4
  • Disgaea 5
  • Disgaea 6
  • Disgaea 7
  • R-Type Tactics
  • Langrisser 1&2
  • Front Mission Remake
  • Front Mission 2 Remake
  • Front Mission 3 Remake
  • Final Fantasy Tactics (if Nvidia leak is to be believed, and it absolutely should)

Edited on by JaxonH

Ralizah

@JaxonH

Bayonetta 3's use of color made me think it'd be a SWOLED looker. It might just be me, but I feel like I've noticed a number of exclusive games that use color in such a way as to maximize the potential of the screen. I swear to god, half of XC3 is vivid purples and reds on black backgrounds!

BTW, I'm increasingly becoming open to getting B3. Probably not right away, but I watched snippets of a full playthrough earlier, and it looks WAY better than Bayonetta 2. Catchy music, the monsters transformations/summons look fun, the cutscenes look noticeably higher quality... seems like Platinum did a good job with this game.

On the subject of strategy/tactical RPGs...

My favorite release in 2018 was Valkyria Chronicles 4.
In 2019, it was Fire Emblem: Three Houses.
And while I still slightly favor XC3 this year, Triangle Strategy is a close second.

I think I might have found a new favorite genre!

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic