Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 64,641 to 64,660 of 70,001

JaxonH

@Giancarlothomaz
It's not that I disagree with the core of what you're saying. And it's not even that I wouldn't like a new system. But there's nuance in all things. Declaring it to be desperately needed as if there's some kind of imminent crisis playing out... it's sensationalist nonsense.

It's true that some games have had some performance issues that more power could potentially solve. But for the most part, games look good and run well enough. You're not gonna get perfection in most cases. But perfection isn't required.

More importantly, things will be just fine regardless. Zelda will be just fine regardless. The first was basically perfect aside from one spot in the forest, and that was the first game they ever developed. The next one should be even better. Bayonetta 3 is just fine. It looks gorgeous. It runs at 60 frames barring kaiju battles... just because games could be better on a new system doesn't mean it's needed.

There are some games with genuine issues, but Zelda and Bayonetta aren't it. If you're gonna make an argument something is "needed" at least use a game that has real and persistent issues to a degree that severely impacts enjoyment.

But the point is, Switch has been doing just fine the last 5 years. More than just fine. And games have gotten better and better over time as fewer and fewer devs rush trash ports onto the system (though we still get some from time to time, cough cough Alan Wake). On average, 1st party and exclusive games look and run better today than they did 5 years ago. Not worse. On average, multiplat games look and run better today than they did 5 years ago. Not worse.

And if Switch was just fine the last 5 years when it was getting way worse quality, it is certainly fine now. Nothing has changed to warrant some imminent need for new hardware. Would it be nice? Oh sure! Would games look and run even better? Most definitely! Is it "imminently needed"? Heck no

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

skywake

I'd argue and will continue to argue that new hardware is needed. But that's a different argument than trying to say that games on Switch are not compelling in spite of the limitation.

Honestly, the performance compromise equation for Switch compared to the competition hasn't changed much since launch. And honestly it won't change much after a revision is released either. All that has changed is that the gap between Switch and a potential revision is now huge

Post revision? People will still say Switch is sub-par, because it will be. You'll be compromising on performance for portability still. What sucks now is more that we are currently also compromising on some performance for no reason. At least from a consumer POV

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JaxonH

My recommendation is to stop obsessing over that which you have no control over, just sit back and enjoy the endless string of masterpiece titles releasing back to back to back to back.

We're in the prime of Switch's life. Enjoy it. Stop worrying about new hardware. It comes when it comes, and nothing anyone here says or does will change that fact.

We're getting straight blessed. Savor it.

@NeonPizza
Nothing wrong with imagination, but most of that is unrealistic and almost certainly won't happen.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

I'm pretty much of the view that new more powerful hardware alongside TotK looks to be very likely and that new hardware in general would be good to see but if that's doesn't end up being the case and it happens in 2025 instead (where 2023 is something like Switch Lite OLED), it's not a dealbreaker. I'll just happily continue using my 2017 Switch and hope it doesn't break.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

skywake

@JaxonH @NeonPizza
Honestly? A spec in the ballpark of the PS4 with some additional modern tricks and an OLED screen are basically a given. I don't think they'd drop the resolution of the screen bellow 720p or reduce the size so that's also a super safe bet. And at this stage? I think HDR is a pretty easy step to take, especially if you have an OLED screen

But those other ideas, ignoring the obviously nonsense ones. I think 3D has basically been and gone at this point so I wouldn't bet on it making any sort of comeback. If you were doing a Wii-style pointer these days you'd probably go the camera pointing at the player route. But honestly I think just having straight Gyro is close enough for most types of content. VR is the space for that kind of thing these days

Higher refresh rates? I mean, nothing stopping that from being a thing. If you can output 4K properly you can output 120fps. I also think that VRR is an obvious thing to include for a gaming console that the Switch is a bit of an outlier not having at this point. I'd argue analogue triggers sit in the same space, an obvious move that the Switch seems a bit out of place to not have

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

gcunit

Personally erring on the side of new hardware in 2023, coinciding with ToTK and new Mario game. But I'm curious, all the predictive talk above offers 2025 as the alternative... why is 2024 so unlikely not to even get a mention?

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Grumblevolcano

@gcunit If Nintendo's not releasing more powerful hardware alongside TotK, they'd likely do it once the current Nintendo related Switch support is over. Currently we know Sparks of Hope is getting Rayman DLC at some point by the end of 2024 according to the eshop and Splatoon 3 is getting content until September 2024 according to the Splatoon 3 Direct which would suggest 2025 is a point where there'd be no current Nintendo related Switch support.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Magician

Backwards compatibility is my main concern with whatever platform Nintendo offers next.

If Nintendo decide to ask their customers to start their collection from scratch, I'll probably pass.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Ralizah

@Magician I'd be shocked if Switch 2 wasn't b/c. Nintendo consistently supports b/c between their portable hardware generations, going back at least one gen.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Ryu_Niiyama

Given how barren ps5/seriesx look (relatively speaking ) I feel like we should just enjoy the games. Everything could use more power, but I still say dev creativity, optimization and gameplay make games fun.

As always I just want Nintendo to iterate on the switch. It’s my largest game library so if I can’t port that forward I will be disappointed.

I still want a 3ds player though. Too bad all the mod houses have gone under I think. I just wanna play on a screen that doesn’t make me squint.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Magician

@Ralizah I'm hopeful the next Nintendo platform will offer b/c with Switch cartridges, but I'm not so optimistic as to believe it'll be an assumed feature.

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

JaxonH

@gcunit
Not only timelines mentioned by Grumble, but also the fact a revision comes every two years, so if no Switch 2 we'll at least get a revision, and they won't release a revision and only give it 1 year shelf life.

Furthermore, Switch is still selling better than it was in 2019 (there's been drops from 2020-2021 numbers, but it's still on track for 20+ million). So if they don't release Switch 2 in 2023, it's likely because Switch is still selling so well. Which means they're waiting for sales to slow more. And 1 year isn't enough for sales to slow that much.

Magician

Hmm, its been several years, but with game development getting back to some form of normalcy I wonder if we'll hear about Tokyo Ogre Gate and/or Cecile from CyberConnect2 next year?

Edited on by Magician

Grumblevolcano

I found out you can switch off the pro controller by pressing the button to the left of the USB-C port on the controller itself. Very helpful for making the controller last even longer if you need to be away from the Switch for awhile but don't want to switch the console off.

Grumblevolcano

Magician

@Grumblevolanco Or you can toggle airplane mode on and off.

Giancarlothomaz

@Eagly Jim Ryan is way worse then Phill Spencer, Phil Spencer at least try to be pro consumer, but Doug Bowser e Jim Ryan they do everything to make Nintendo/Sony the least consumer friendly company possible, i miss when Reggie e Iwata actualy cared about us, Nintendo sadly is acting now like another EA.

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

gcunit

@Grumblevolcano @JaxonH Your not-2024 reasonings are logical, but at the same time, I don't feel any of them are sufficiently robust to totally dismiss 2024. E.g. Just because recent hardware revisions have been 2 years apart, it's not a rule.

I'm now firmly backing the 2024 Bid! 😜

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

JaxonH

@gcunit
Anything's always possible. Nothing can ever be outright dismissed in it's entirety.

But if I were to assign probabilities based on likelihood of outcome, I'd say

2023: 40%
2024: 20%
2025: 40%

So ya, it could happen, but I think it's 4x more likely that it doesnt.

Magician

@JaxonH

Percentages? Lets go!

2023: 10%
2024: 20%
2025: 30%
2026: 40%

My opinion is that Nintendo will extend the Tegra X2 until the annual sales figures dip below 10m. Then near the end of 2025 they'll hint towards whatever will house the Tegra T239 and release it in early 2026. Pair the new hardware with Mario Odyssey 2, Mario Kart 9, and Pokemon Gen 10 and we're off to the races.

Would I like Tegra T239 sooner? Yes, yes I would.

But my tinfoil hat, keyboard warrior self believes we'll be waiting for a while.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic