Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 64,521 to 64,540 of 69,997

Magician

Mmm, the Alan Wake port might be a good example of how Virtuos are hit-and-miss with their ports.

They must have their own A-team and B-team assignments based on budget.

Nier: Automata = A team
Alan Wake = B team
Dying Light = A team
The Outer Worlds = B team

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/09/rumour_switch_port_...

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

JaxonH

@Magician
Maybe.

But I actually suspect it's simply the fact the game is an unoptimized mess and they can only work with what they're given. This remaster even had issues on PS/Xbox. Of course Switch is going to be a no-go.

I thought they'd use the 360 version as a base to port from as it would look fantastic and run flawlessly on Switch. But it seems they used their new engine remaster which was crap, and which isn't optimized for Switch in the slightest.

No idea why they wouldn't just use the 360 code as a base. Or the original PC version on Steam before the remaster dropped.

They screwed the pooch big time trying to make the remaster run on Switch.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@Magician
So apparently Virtuos did NOT port this game.

Also, interestingly enough, it's seemingly much better in handheld, and an actually decent experience.

Ppl should just check out this video.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ryu_Niiyama

Alright folks that critique game names, y'all better have something to say about:

Milk inside a bag of milk inside a bag of milk, along with Milk outside a bag of milk outside a bag of milk

https://nintendoeverything.com/milk-inside-a-bag-of-milk-insi...

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Kermit1doesmath

@Ryu_Niiyama I feel like if I play that I'll start something... (I am the walrus I am the walrus I am the walrus I am the walrus I am the walrus)

dysgraphia awareness human

Kermit1doesmath

@NeonPizza... When I tried to quote you "people" didn't show in the quote... That's very odd.

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Good.

It's time to capitalize off all this publicity.

Bayonetta's really gotten a raw deal all these years. Sega refuses to publish, nobody else will either, and the only one who steps up has the worst selling platform of the last 20 years.

Then Bayo3 got critiqued for having a new VA, then the whole controversy happened...

Thankfully, this controversy solved everything, in the end. Ppl are no longer feeling guilty about buying it, it got a ton of free publicity, nobody cares it has a new VA now after that whole ordeal, and it's releasing into an install base of 115 million units.

This is FINALLY Bayonetta's chance to shine and get the attention and praise it deserves. If not now... then when.

Ralizah

I think I have Alan Wake on Steam, so I'll just play on the Deck whenever I happen to buy one.

Pity, but this sort of thing is why I'm very selective about the games I choose to pre-purchase.

@NeonPizza The trailer looked fine to me. Almost 1:1 with the same scenes from the original game. But Bloober Team... yeah, I'm going to wait to hear from people who also played the original game.

All survival horror combat was clunky prior to RE4. It just happens to work thematically with Silent Hill, since they're not really action games and combat mostly exists to pose a threat to the player and keep them from getting too comfortable.

The nurses... yeah, while there's clearly supposed to be a sexual element to their depiction, recent renders of the enemy make them look more like sexy Halloween nurses or something. Which is what you'd expect if the team remaking this game didn't understand what the developers were going for with the character designs, right? The enemies should NOT be conventionally attractive. Silent Hill's reflection of human sexual desires and behaviors reflects the monstrous, distorted manifestations they adopt in the characters' lives.

The game was revolutionary in terms of the sort of themes it addressed; as you allude to, the horrors of Silent Hill are less about creepy crawlies and more about people struggling to come to terms with the darkest parts of their lives. You're doing yourself a disservice by reading about SH2 instead of just playing it, though. If you have a dusty old CRT somewhere and a PS2 or Xbox, go grab a copy of the game and lose yourself in its unique, hellish vision.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

So...

Started New Tales From the Borderlands this morning and it's really good. A solid Switch version, too. When transitioning to larger areas it can take a half second for all textures to load in, but then it's fine.

This game is not like a Telltale game btw. There are segments where you control the character, and it's all 3D modeled so you're moving around in a 3D world just like Borderlands.

Obviously it's still styled after the original, so lots of story, and choosing answers before a timer runs out, and QTE button prompts and sequences. But like... it's really good. Gearbox has made something special here. Humor is definitely on point, too. Game is hilarious.

Grumblevolcano

Damn, my physical version of Persona 5 Royal came in and there was a steelbook but no standard case. Never experienced that before with releases for Nintendo systems, there'd always be both steelbook and standard case.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

gcunit

@Grumblevolcano It's weird... steelbooks seem totally non-sensical to me, particularly when they are packed in addition to a standard case...

...and yet, when I see a steelbook edition release without a standard case included, it turns me right off.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

JaxonH

It comes with a cardboard slipcover over the steelbook.

There's a standard version also.

Edited on by JaxonH

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH I was meaning in the sense of both are usually packaged together. You'd buy the steelbook version of a game and in addition to the steelbook you'd get the standard edition.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

kkslider5552000

It became obvious to me recently that I've been too focused on older games on Switch. There's countless cool, bold indie games, some of which I've been meaning to play for ages (one of them I played a demo of BEFORE THE SWITCH EVEN CAME OUT) and quite a few larger games that I'd love to play but then they either do a remake of a thing I love or port a bunch of games I've always wanted to play and now I have two Grandia games and 6 Megaman Zero/ZX games, and 4 Castlevanias to play, none of which even include NSO.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Ralizah

kkslider5552000 wrote:

It became obvious to me recently that I've been too focused on older games on Switch. There's countless cool, bold indie games, some of which I've been meaning to play for ages (one of them I played a demo of BEFORE THE SWITCH EVEN CAME OUT) and quite a few larger games that I'd love to play but then they either do a remake of a thing I love or port a bunch of games I've always wanted to play and now I have two Grandia games and 6 Megaman Zero/ZX games, and 4 Castlevanias to play, none of which even include NSO.

I mean, you've been focused on them because you enjoy them, right?

Just play what you want. Not everyone needs to buy the latest thing.

You reminded me, though, that I really need to play a bit of that Grandia HD Collection next year.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Kermit1doesmath

Do we think we might get another Animal Crossing on the current Switch. I hope so.

Edited on by Kermit1doesmath

Anti-Matter

Kermit1 wrote:

Do we think we might get another Animal Crossing on the current Switch. I hope so.

There is Hokko Life for alternative Animal Crossing style game.

Anti-Matter

skywake

Kermit1 wrote:

Why? What would we get out of a new release on the same platform? Honestly I feel this way about a bunch of Nintendo's biggest titles, these are once a generation sort of titles. Games where there's no major story and not really any "levels" in the usual sense. Games where you are given some game mechanic to mess with and at most some stages and characters in which to do it

Animal Crossing certainly fits that. I'd say the same about the Mario Sports games, titles like Mario Kart, Smash, Mario Maker and Splatoon I'd also put in that box. All games where I feel like the main value of each new release is almost purely "and it's now available on the new platform". That's not to say that people wouldn't buy it or it wouldn't be profitable. Splatoon 3 is proof enough that it can be. It's just I think making a sequel for those types of games just for the sake of having another title? Smells a bit of those pointless annualizations of franchises you see everywhere else in gaming

So yeah, I don't want a Mario Kart 9 or a second Animal Crossing on Switch and I think anyone who's begging for those titles really doesn't want that either. What I do want is Zelda Oracle of Seasons/Ages HD, Zelda Maker, F-Zero etc. I don't want Splatoon 4, I didn't really want Splatoon 3, what I want is the next Splatoon. Or like @DarthNocturnal said, maybe a new game style entirely with Animal Crossing Branding

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic