Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 6,441 to 6,460 of 69,995

WebHead

I kinda suspect that Nintendo will port a decent chunk of its Wii U software over to Switch.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

skywake

@BiasedSonyFan
The problem with what you're saying is that it ignores one crucial point. PC gaming sites a few years ago now started pointing to cards and saying "this is all you need for 1080p gaming". Cards above that spec were for 2K/4K gaming. The price of that card has been dropping and it's now in the PS4 Pro.

Now I can't speak for the psychology of all of this. I'm also not sure if there will be a graphical detail boom that will need far more power. But I do know that with current games there is a pretty hard limit to the amount of power needed for 1080p. And we're there already but not with the switch or PS4 standard. So what else can happen from here? Eventually nobody will care anymore. Smaller and cheaper consoles will happen in the next 10 years with or without Sony

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

SLIGEACH_EIRE

I can hear alarm bells ringing in the distance.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

IceClimbers

I assume that means less raw power, but better efficiency.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

MumboJumbo

@IceClimbers
There are a few things which inflate the size of the 3DS install base.

• The mainline Pokemon series which is selling 10-15 million
  • Repeat buyers of hardware revisions which could make up 10-15 million
  • Major 3rd-party franchises like Monster Hunter and Yokai Watch which are selling 3-4 million
  • Smaller 3rd-party franchises like Professor Layton and Dragon Quest which are selling over 1 million

What's left over is a core Nintendo audience that isn't much larger than the current install base of the Wii U.

MumboJumbo

IceClimbers

@MumboJumbo None of those things inflate the numbers except for the repeat buyers due to hardware revisions/special editions.

OorWullie

@SLIGEACH_EIRE Image & Form said in reply to a question on Twitter the other day that while they can't say anything about specs,Nintendo are definitely not skimping on power.Them saying that gave me a little confidence that it will at least be a decent step up from Wii U.That tweet you just posted has me a little worried again though.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

MumboJumbo

@IceClimbers
We're discussing Nintendo's core audience here. The people who are buying Nintendo's systems to play Nintendo's 1st-party titles. The core Nintendo audience on the 3DS is not as large as you think when you take Pokemon and major 3rd-party franchises out of the equation. Hardware revisions just skew the numbers further.

Edited on by MumboJumbo

MumboJumbo

skywake

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

Why? We already know it's a portable system. The thing isn't going to be competing with the PS4 on power. It's not rocket science.

Powerful, Cheap, Portable

Pick two to focus on. It can be powerful and portable but it won't be very cheap. It can be cheap and portable but it won't be very powerful. It can be powerful and cheap but it won't be very portable. We know from the trailer that it's going to be more portable than the PS4/XBOne. So that means they're sacrificing either the cost or the power. Given I don't expect this to cost $800US? I think we can take an educated guess.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Captain_Toad

It could be the CPU itself which explains the riddle-esque nature of this tweet., upon taking criticism from the low CPU from the WiiU the Switch seems to be over-correcting it on the plane that not even the PlayStation and Xbox can go against. As I saw from a youtube comment from this video below me.

(@MrTweej from Youtube)
Quote "Nvidia has criticized the CPU in the PS4 & Xbox One as well. And Ubisoft [...] have also been complaining about the CPUs in the other consoles." "When you look at Assassin's Creed Unity when it launched and all the bugginess you're seeing the results of an underpowered CPU."

Edited on by Captain_Toad

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

IceClimbers

@MumboJumbo The point here is there's no reason to factor those out. You're coming up with inflation where it doesn't exist. The people who buy those 3rd party games on 3DS are the core Nintendo fans, and Pokemon is a Nintendo franchise.

Nonno_Umby

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

Wait, let's not forget this:

Nonno_Umby

Haruki_NLI

@Nonno_Umby That....the CPU? Holy mother of...is Nintendo chasing actual processing power and not gtaphical power? The bottleneck of the PS4? HO damn count me in.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Shinion

So I go away for a day and we're now at the "Pokémon inflates Nintendo's hardware sales disproportionately" stage

Ohmanohmanohmanohmanohmanohmanohman

Seriously it's kind of fascinating seeing these trains of thought. But seriously oh man.

Shinion

Moshugan

@IceClimbers @Samurai_Goroh @Octane @Operative @MumboJumbo
I did some calculations a while back. The data is from Wikipedia.

Wii U has sold 13.36 million consoles and 84.04 million games. That means that Wii U has sold approx 6 games per console.
3DS has sold 61.57 million consoles and 244.86 million games. That's only about 4 games per console!
If we assumed that 3DS has also the same average of 6 games per owner, then 244.86 divided by 6 would make for 40.81 unique 3DS owners.

These figures are pretty rough, but they give some kind of idea of where 3DS sales might be at.

The rest of the data can be viewed here if you're interested:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_xR-Cm0_i1xrefp23nUy1...

My Super Mario Maker 2's Maker ID: R7B-M93-5GF

Nintendo Network ID: Moshugan

Grumblevolcano

@Moshugan Interesting, you can also identify the key 4 3DS games and 6 key Wii U games from that. For 3DS:

• Pokemon X and Y
  • Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire
  • Mario Kart 7
  • Super Mario 3D Land

While for Wii U it's:

• Mario Kart 8
  • New Super Mario Bros. U
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  • Splatoon
  • Super Mario Maker

I'm counting the Pokemon pairs as 1 each rather than 2 each as the typical consumer will only buy 1 game out of the pair.

I think we can safely say that 3DS would've struggled if there wasn't any main series Pokemon games coming to it.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FragRed

@Nonno_Umby That second tweet means nothing, it could merely be indie developers with games that require little CPU/GPU resources who are moving games over to the Switch. Doesn't really say anything about what the hardware is capable of achieving.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

rallydefault

Whitewatermoose wrote:

Moshugan wrote:

@IceClimbers @Samurai_Goroh @Octane @Operative @MumboJumbo
I did some calculations a while back. The data is from Wikipedia.

Wii U has sold 13.36 million consoles and 84.04 million games. That means that Wii U has sold approx 6 games per console.
3DS has sold 61.57 million consoles and 244.86 million games. That's only about 4 games per console!
If we assumed that 3DS has also the same average of 6 games per owner, then 244.86 divided by 6 would make for 40.81 unique 3DS owners.

These figures are pretty rough, but they give some kind of idea of where 3DS sales might be at.

The rest of the data can be viewed here if you're interested:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_xR-Cm0_i1xrefp23nUy1...

The attach rate for Wii u may be the highest attach rate of all time.

So it tells you either Wii U had really good software, or Nintendo fans were very loyal to Nintendo product, for an attach rate like that.

Well, anecdotally, I bought more games for the Wii U than any other console I've ever owned, and that's because the games rocked AND I wanted to support my favorite company. Probably a similar story for many of us.

rallydefault

Samurai_Goroh

Anecdotally, I have bought twice as much games on Wii than on Wii U. So I don't think that ratio is something to brag about.

Edited on by Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic