Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 6,281 to 6,300 of 69,995

skywake

@Peek-a-boo
The answer to your question about third parties is simple. If it sells.

Also your point about Battlefield 1 performing poorly on the XBOne is interesting. Given how well optimised that game is for PC. Based on some of the benchmarks I've seen you could run that game on an i3 with 4GB of RAM and a 2GB 660 and get 30fps at 1080p with settings on Ultra. At high/medium settings? 720p? Frankly there's no reason why the XBOne isn't a rock steady 60fps.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Samurai_Goroh

@Operative Besides, I might be wrong but I think with cartridges and game cards the bulk of storage where the game is stored is read-only memory. Only a tiny chunk of memory apart is read-write for the save states. RW memory supposedly is more expensive than ROM. It's not a regular SD card.
So a Switch "standard" card of 16 GB of ROM should probably have a few megabytes of RW allocated for save states and that's it.
If we get 3rd party support, we're gonna have to buy some large SDXC cards or Nintendo will bundle a large SSD (not likely). No one cares about data compression any more and no one care about quality assurance of the final build that gets shipped other than Nintendo. Day one patches of 20 + GB is ridiculous but this is the industry we have, not the one we deserve.

Samurai_Goroh

rallydefault

@skywake, brosef, you DID direct your post at me that said "if you don't like it don't buy it" or whatever lol go back and check yourself, man. Your post at the bottom of page 330, it is directed @ me, and you typed it at the end of the post.

Sigh.

Anyway, it is all good. I will serve faithfully as the whipping boy lol

rallydefault

gcunit

@Peek-a-boo I was using Scorpio for exaggeration/emphasis, and bringing in frustrations from comments in the NL article comments section about this 4gb RAM rumour, where Scorpio was mentioned and inferred. My basic point was that people should stop whining about Switch specs not matching the leading home consoles, now and in the next few years.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

veeflames

@Operative See, I'm all for different opinions and such, but I'm not sure I'm up for making "rational" judgments based on rumors. "Standard cartridge size for the Switch is 16GB." Er mah Gewd Nintendo is doomed. "RAM size is only 4GB" - Doomed. "Switch won't wash the dishes for you" - Yup, Nintendo isn't going to break past a million units with this thing. Surely you get the point.
And me, passive aggressive? I wasn't even trying to be... "hostile." But do consider what you said in the previous page: "I for one enjoy the multiple viewpoints."
Yet you tend to use language which suggests that the people who do approve of Nintendo stuff are... well, fanboys. Not just in this thread, in fact. But speaking of which, I don't think anyone is saying that the Switch is pure gold stuff or perfect (well, not many on this site at least). In contrast, a lot of people seem to put all their eggs in the rumor basket. It's like January 12th 2017 doesn't exist.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

skywake

@rallydefault
If you're going to get super analytical about what I said then I can do that....

skywake wrote:

You know the thing I don't get about the direction this thread has turned? There are a bunch of people saying 4GB of RAM is fine for a product of that sort of power/price. I'm one of them. Then there are a second bunch of people saying that 4GB of RAM is way too low for the power they want. And yet another group saying the higher price is going to be too expensive.

Direction the thread has turned -> Not you
Bunch of people saying 4GB of RAM is fine -> Maybe you, not really you. Mostly me.
Second bunch of people -> also not you
Third bunch saying it's too expensive -> yes, that one was kinda you

At this point I think it was clear the post wasn't really directed specifically at you. It was more me conversing with you about the direction the thread had turned. But lets continue.

skywake wrote:

There's a simple solution to all of this. Accept the fact that this will not be a PS4 you can pocket. That instead it's something between the Wii U and the PS4/XBOne in terms of specs. Which is ok because it's something between the 3DS and Wii U in terms of form factor. If that's something you don't want? Then fine, don't buy it.

Without the first bit? Certainly pretty direct. Especially as a reply. And I did in the very next post say as much and walk it back a bit. But even so I did qualify what I said in the original post. I didn't say "you specifically are an idiot, what are you thinking wanting a portable PS4. If you want a PS4 get a PS4 FFS". If you read it as that? Well then sorry. That wasn't the intent.

What I actually said was that the direction the thread had turned is doing my head in. Some people are complaining that it's under powered. Some people are speculating the price will be astronomical. And to them (not necessarily you) I said well, if it's not to your liking? Nobody is forcing you to buy it. Maybe it's not the product for you. I don't think that's at all something worth getting worked up about.

Edited on by skywake

TuVictus

@Vee_Flames see, I have never once said Nintendo was doomed, or that they would fail. I've only expressed disappointment with some recent reports. I've even gone as far as to state my excitement for certain aspects of the console. I think you're projecting your frustration with everyone that finds the switch underwhelming on me. I'm far from a harsh critic on it. Since you seem to notice me in other threads. Perhaps you mistake my disagreement for hostility?

If you see me annoyed or combative it's in response to people that are equally combative or annoyed with people like me.

As for the rumors, well considering previous ones were pretty much correct down to a T, it's not hard to see why we'd believe these newer ones.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

veeflames

Operative wrote:

@Vee_Flames see, I have never once said Nintendo was doomed, or that they would fail. I've only expressed disappointment with some recent reports. I've even gone as far as to state my excitement for certain aspects of the console. I think you're projecting your frustration with everyone that finds the switch underwhelming on me. I'm far from a harsh critic on it. Since you seem to notice me in other threads. Perhaps you mistake my disagreement for hostility?

Yikes. Frustation? Do you know me that well enough to know I'm frustrated? Much less frustrated that "I don't like that some people are not happy with the Switch?" I'm gonna say this: it takes FAAAR MORE things than a difference in opinion to make me frustrated. So maybe we could stop with the prediction of mood and such.
As for the second point in bold letters.... I hope that doesn't mean that you think I notice you and only you here and on elsewhere on this site. I tend to read everyone's comments and posts as much as I can - as well as be accepting of the opinions that are different than mine (which is admittedly a harder thing to do nowadays on the internet lol). So if I can predict what certain users will say in a thread or article correctly... then that's what it is. A correct prediction.

God first.

TuVictus

Vee_Flames wrote:

Operative wrote:

Yikes. Frustation? Do you know me that well enough to know I'm frustrated? Much less frustrated that "I don't like that some people are not happy with the Switch?" I'm gonna say this: it takes FAAAR MORE things than a difference in opinion to make me frustrated. So maybe we could stop with the prediction of mood and such.
As for the second point in bold letters.... I hope that doesn't mean that you think I notice you and only you here and on elsewhere on this site. I tend to read everyone's comments and posts as much as I can - as well as be accepting of the opinions that are different than mine (which is admittedly a harder thing to do nowadays on the internet lol). So if I can predict what certain users will say in a thread or article correctly... then that's what it is. A correct prediction.

Ah, so you know me well enough to predict what I'll say, but clearly I can't know you enough to know that what you posted is definitely a clear indication of frustration. Got it. I suggest we stop this now, and move on. Because it's not going to go anywhere. Have a good day.

TuVictus

veeflames

@Operative I agree to agree on that. Good day to you too.

God first.

rallydefault

@skywake
Thanks! That explains things. Generally, when I'm speaking to someone in particular, I @ them at the beginning of the post, like you did for me. If I move on to someone else, I try to @ them as the thread continues, or make it plainly obvious that I'm no longer speaking to/about the original @. (Just because internet forum communication can be all sorts of convoluted and misinterpreted, as we're seeing.)

It's all good, man. Miscommunication on both sides.

For the record, I think 4GB RAM sounds "ok." Obviously it's not a super-exciting number for most people, as they're used to seeing double that as the "typical" amount of RAM in a console, and even medium-level gaming PCs tend to have 16 gigs RAM or more. For example, I'm running 32 gigs RAM on this beast, but guess what? I realize that, for pretty much every game available right now, that extra RAM does absolutely nothing.

In a streamlined system like a console where everything is geared toward one purpose, the RAM, just like everything else inside, can be used to its fullest potential. Developers will learn little tricks and workarounds to make the most of it. And one of the bigger drains of RAM is an OS, correct? So, if Switch has a pretty streamlined OS (which Nintendo seems to be a fan of), we may not feel the lack of it too much. But to be very realistic, can 4 gigs be a bit limiting when it comes to certain tasks? Yes.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

TuVictus

@Vee_Flames for what it's worth, I do apologize if I came off hostile. Sometimes I can get too invested, I suppose.

Anyway, switch and stuff. Can't wait

TuVictus

Farmboy74

The Nintendo Switch is the next evolution of the Nvidia Shield tablet. It can't be as powerful as the PS4 or XB1, this would make it insanely expensive and I imagine there would be issues keeping the thing cool. If I remember right the latest Shield tablet had to be recalled due to over heating issues on the battery which was warping the back of the tablet.

Nintendo have missed out on most of the AAA western titles for 2 console generations in a row and I cannot see this changing over night. Hopefully will will get a Madden, FIFA or PES but I'm still not convinced that we will. We might be lucky and get a couple of remasters since remastering old games seems to be all the rage at the moment on both PS4 and XB1.

What I do hope we get is another Bayonetta maybe a sequel to Vanquish. I would also like to see Dragon Quest Builders and World of Final Fantasy which I hope is possible as these games both have Vita versions and I think they will be a good fit on a Nintendo system.

I think the final specs will be nearer Ipad Pro specs than PS4 or XB1. If so we might get some of the better indie games come across from the app store. If the Switch turns out to be a portable XB1 then I will gladly eat my hat.

Farmboy74

rallydefault

BiasedSonyFan wrote:

I've said this already, but if anyone here is interested in a Western AAA video game console, then the PS4 is the console that he should probably be interested in, not the Switch. Gamers in this thread should not set themselves up for disappointment.

I just... I... seem to be sighing a lot lately reading this board.

First: You can own more than one console. You should really amend your statement to:

I've said this already, but if anyone here is interested in a Western AAA video game console, AND CAN ONLY BUY ONE CONSOLE, then the PS4 is the console that he should probably be interested in, not the Switch.

Second: How old are you people? Where did you come from? Did you only start gaming with the Wii? Are you like, 15 years old, maximum? Yea, I know the Gamecube wasn't exactly a veritable playground of success money-wise, but it had its fair share of third party, AAA games, many even exclusive. And N64, SNES, and NES ALL had fantastic third-party AAA support that rivaled or even beat their competitors, and those were in eras where Nintendo only had one major competitor (Sega), and then two/three major competitors (Sega/Sony/Microsoft), so it's not an argument of Nintendo having to change now that the field is bigger.

Nintendo WANTS third parties and their AAA game franchises. They want them. Badly. And power has nothing to do with it. Install base. The 3DS by modern tech standards is downright a laughing stock, but it doesn't matter - it's got an install base, therefore it gets the third parties. The Switch CAN do that, too. And Nintendo wants it to.

But comments like yours, @BiasedSonyFan... gosh... I really hope they are nowhere representative of a typical Nintendo gamer. Because you're just dooming all of us to our favorite company failing with this new hardware.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

shingi_70

Here's the thing the switch is less about western third parties as it is the Japanese market from a developer standpoint. The western market had spoken and is full of mostly AAA and indie games with AA titles being slowly making a comeback.

The switch is far more interesting to Japan where the AA game is still clearly a thing and is mostly situated on Vita, 3DS and to a lesser extent the PS4 these days.

As a gamer with an Xbox One and plans to purchase a Scorpio, how the switch plays multiplats means nothing and I'm guessing a big chunk of the PlayStation/Xbox market would say the same.

There is quite literally nothing Nintendo could do and no incentive to try and go for the market that Sony and Microsoft go back and fourth over.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

skywake

@rallydefault
It depends but in general RAM is just there to store application data so that the application doesn't have to constantly go to slower storage. The more applications that are running? The more RAM you will need to avoid going back to slower storage. But if you're not using all your RAM then more RAM will do nothing but consume a bit more power and look a bit nicer with all the RAM slots filled.

On PCs even with all the overheads of applications running in the background and so on. If you're playing current games at 1080p? You'll probably never use more than 8GB of system memory and 2GB of VRAM. With some games on the highest settings? You might need a bit more VRAM. But with many more you could probably get away with 4GB of system memory. Battlefield 1 on PC for example can run using ~3GB system memory and ~900MB VRAM. And even when you crank the settings on a beast system it doesn't use more than 4GB of system memory.

But here's the thing. With PCs and consoles? There's no reason not to throw more RAM at the problem. If you're spending $100s on a new PC or console and it's another $75AU to go with 16GB RAM rather than 4GB? Obviously you'll go for more RAM. But with a portable device like the Switch there's a third variable. Power consumption. The more RAM the lower the battery life. So if 4GB is all they think that GPU needs? 4GB is what it'll get.

Edited on by skywake

Aeon7

@skywake Thanks for the correction. I saw a video that discussed the power of the Switch so I was kinda paraphrasing that video. With that said, I think it's likely that the system would use the Tegra X2 which is almond on par with the Xbox One. Also, the system would likely use a Pascal architecture which is a significant improvement over the former Maxwell architecture; and Nvidia confirmed that they're making a new dedicated API for the Switch called 'NVD' that will use graphic capabilities to its full potential. While the Switch may not be as powerful as the PS4 Pro or the Scorpio, but being on par with the original PS4 and Xbox will probably be enough for the Switch. Mobile chips are always evolving and with the rumour of the Tegra chip potentially evolving, suggests that Nintendo might go for a smartphone/tablet like approach

Aeon7

Therad

Most games can run on basically any platform. Ram and CPU are almost never the issue. Only games that max out the GPU of ps4 and Xbox might pose a problem. But as long as third-party is willing to have lower graphics (I.e textures, models), they can be on the switch. Every game that is on the PC can be on switch.

With that said, a portable shouldn't have things running in the background because of battery drain, so the OS should have a minimal footprint. If Sony and ms reserves almost half of their memory, then ram available for games is comparable.

Nintendo also have another advantage, loading from carts should be faster than loading from HDD and disc.

Therad

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic