Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 57,381 to 57,400 of 70,113

link3710

@GrailUK I don't think anyone expects the trilogy port to release directly alongside Prime 4. More like somewhere in the period 6-15 months before it's release. Also, another example appears to be Skyward Sword to BotW2.

For the record, I don't believe the trilogy port exists.

link3710

GrailUK

@link3710 Me neither until Nintendo announce it.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

JaxonH

Pretty sure it exists. Like Mario 3D Collection and Skyward Sword, they're bringing Wii games over. Too many people, reliable people, know of its existence for too long and all have consistent info- it's done and they're sitting on it. They're clearly interested in bringing back Metroid Prime series. Otherwise they wouldn't have green lit MP4 or cared enough to reboot development. Besides which, they're not gonna not bring it over when the Prime series has been absent so long and there's so much interest in the series. That fruit hangs too low to pass up, even for Nintendo.

It'll come. But it may be a while. Dread this year, MP4 likely 2023-2024, which means the MPT is probably still 1-2 years off. But before this generation of over, we'll have our Trilogy. For now just forget about it. It comes when it comes.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano But GTA V won’t overtake Minecraft until Wii Sports gets a remake and overtakes both in terms of sales, thus forcing GTA V to overtake Minecraft because it somehow stops selling entirely because everyone is playing Wii Sports and thus allowing GTA 6 to finally happen

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Anti-Matter

When everybody talking about Metroid games, i'm thinking will Level-5 make another Yokai Watch games for Nintendo Switch ?
The latest Yokai game was Yokai Watch Jam for Switch and PS4.

Anti-Matter

link3710

@JaxonH I do think we'll see a prime game... but like... just a port of the first one. And everyone will have assumed it's Prime Trilogy because hey look it's Prime on Switch, but nope, it's just the first game.

link3710

JaxonH

@link3710
It's possible, but I doubt it unless they're doing some serious revamping for it. In which case I'd be totally OK with that.

The fact the Prime Trilogy already exists makes a single entry appearing on its own extremely unlikely, unless, again, it's closer to a remake than remaster. And if that's the case, it's still a massive win.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

link3710

@JaxonH Really? Cause that's never been Nintendo's MO. The Zelda collection didn't prevent Majora's Mask 3D or Ocarina of Time 3D, the Kirby collection didn't prevent Superstar Ultra, and Super Mario All-Stars didn't prevent the Mario Advance games.

Honestly, I can't think of a collection older than this gen that didn't have an individual rerelease afterward of at least one title (Save Prime Trilogy of course).

Edited on by link3710

link3710

JaxonH

@link3710
Random collections of hodgepodge games aren't the same thing as an actual Trilogy.

Edited on by JaxonH

Grumblevolcano

@link3710 Nintendo handles NES and SNES differently from other systems. NES and SNES are pretty much re-release over and over again, take the 2 NES Zelda games for example:
1. NES originals
2. NES Classics range on GBA
3. Zelda Collection on GC
4. Wii VC
5. 3DS VC
6. Wii U VC
7. NES Mini
8. NSO on Switch

So its presence in the GC Zelda Collection doesn't really mean anything for distribution approach, similar arguments can be made for all the other Nintendo collections that feature NES and/or SNES games.

If a Nintendo collection doesn't have NES or SNES games, its form remains the same each time like Metroid Prime Trilogy got re-released on the Wii U eshop in 2015, NSMBU Deluxe contains both NSMBU and NSLU (there was a physical release on Wii U containing both games on the disc), Bayonetta 1+2 were bundled together on both Wii U and Switch, etc.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Buizel

I don't see why Nintendo would hold on to Metroid Prime Trilogy for so long to be honest. Surely the longer that it's out, the more time people have to buy it and get into the series? If you release it only 6 months to a year before 4, you're not giving people much time to play through three meaty games. And that's assuming people buy it at launch!

It's strange because there's been ample opportunity to release such a title, and now Metroid Dread throws a spanner in the works.

At least 2'8".

JaxonH

@Buizel
They probably have data that shows its beneficial to release closer to MP4, rather than releasing it years prior and having the hype die off and everyone forget about it again before the next game comes out.

They've likely tried both ways and seen first hand which works best.

And, there could be other factors at play. Grubb suggests QA testing resources have been limited with C19. Maybe that's true.

But one thing I do know is Nintendo has a history of holding games for long periods of time as they strategically determine the most advantageous lineup. And that's almost never "finish it and dump it, go go go!"

Maybe they did plan to release it sooner but the MP4 setback pushed it back also (in fact we've heard as much). And with Dread releasing in 3 months, they've got Metroid covered in the meantime.

I imagine they're planning a dual reveal. When MP4 is finally shown off in a trailer, I think that's when they're gonna reveal the Trilogy. "Here's the next big game, slated for next year, and btw, here's the Trilogy which you can enjoy this year". Cross promotion.

Edited on by JaxonH

Dogorilla

@link3710 I would have thought the reason for a Prime Trilogy port would be to let people play the entire series in order on Switch, so I can't see why they'd just release the first game. Another possibility is that they don't release the Trilogy, just drop the '4' from MP4's title and give it a subtitle instead so newcomers don't feel like they have to play the other games first, but I think a Trilogy port is likely.

Kirby's Dream Collection came out after Super Star Ultra, by the way.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Buizel

JaxonH wrote:

I imagine they're planning a dual reveal. When MP4 is finally shown off in a trailer, I think that's when they're gonna reveal the Trilogy. "Here's the next big game, slated for next year, and btw, here's the Trilogy which you can enjoy this year". Cross promotion.

This does sound like a good strategy. Perhaps moreso for the promotion of Trilogy than for MP4 - if they have an impactful enough reveal of MP4 I'm sure a ton of people will jump on Trilogy to see what the fuss is about.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Grumblevolcano

Does Mario Party 1-3 have any spooky boards, I don't remember Mario Party 2 well and never played the other N64 Mario Party games? It came to mind that the late October releases have some sort of side to them that would fit Halloween like since the Switch's launch we've gotten:

• 2017 - Mario Odyssey - Cap Kingdom
  • 2018 - Luigi's Mansion 3DS
  • 2019 - Luigi's Mansion 3
  • 2020 - Pikmin 3

@Buizel Re-releasing the old games far away from the new game can cause a loss of interest in the new game, perfect example would be the Bayonetta situation. It's approaching 4 years since the Bayonetta announcements at the Game Awards and Bayonetta 3 is still nowhere to be seen.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

StuTwo

@Buizel I think the existence of Dread might be why they’ve held on to it. If Nintendo had just released Prime Trilogy last year then we’d likely be less excited for Dread.

I think whatever plans they had for Metroid have been blown up twice over - first by the collapse of Prime 4’s original development and then again by Covid.

For all we know Dread would have originally been finished for Christmas 2020 with Prime 4 for 2021 (allowing Prime Trilogy for 2019) in the original plan. Or some such combination thereof.

I do wonder how many “Prime 4” type shenanigans there are that we just don’t hear about. I could absolutely believe that there have been several abortive F-Zero projects (probably dropped very early in development) and this might be why we’ve not seen the series since.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Buizel

@Grumblevolcano I don't see how Bayonetta is the perfect example at all. What measurable loss of interest? And how could that be attributed to the early release of Bayonetta 1&2 rather than the 4-year lack of information on the title?

@StuTwo This makes a bit more sense to me. If it was part of a wider plan that involved Dread > Trilogy > 4, with the bottleneck being development of Dread, that seems reasonable to me - it's much more impactful to have something like Dread mark the "return" of the series than a rerelease in Trilogy.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

JaxonH

@Buizel
I don't think they're saying loss of interest is attributable to Bay 1/2, but rather, the lack of interest from is unable to be overcome despite Bayo 1/2. Whereas a release which more closely followed up would have synergized.

link3710

@Grumblevolcano Uh... I purposely didn't mention the NES Zelda games for that reason. My post was about the N64 ones.

@Dogorilla Oh, I'm nearly certain they'll drop the 4 and give it a proper subtitle. It's not like Echoes and Corruption don't have subtitles already, and Hunters exists too. Adding a 4 for what's a fully new story arc is a terrible idea marketingwise.

link3710

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic