Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 33,141 to 33,160 of 70,025

RR529

I got Dragon Quest Builders in yesterday, and it is sooo addicting!

I've built Cantlin into a literal fortress, which apparently was a bit of a waste as your villagers only recognize one story buildings, so only the first floor of my multi floored buildings count, but hey, at least it looks really cool.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

bluemage1989

@JaxonH oh man that's a story I can relate to. I started off as a farm hand/abattoir worker/shearing shed worker before moving on to the docks as a stevedore loading and unloading containers, slinging loads for cargo ships and lashing. The whole time looking for that fancy job I had dreamt of as I finished A levels (with good but unexceptional grades) I soon realised from friends and former class mates that a lot of these entry level jobs quickly become rest of your life jobs for a lot of people so I was content to keep working for £12 an hour rather than drop to minimum wage to work as a clerk in an office. I saw all the time though men in there forties being laid off because there bodies were haggard from years of long hard shifts with no skills it meant spending the rest of there life living off welfare struggling to make ends meet. I ended up going into construction I dropped my wage a little but I was learning skills started off in the concrete gangs learnt to build shuttering and work concrete before moving onto dumper driving and gaining experience excavator operating when I could. I found myself pretty content for a while until I met a few guys from a surfacing company on a project I was on. We soon started talking money and I couldn't believe the money they were on I managed to land a job with the company starting out at the very bottom banking trucks collecting tickets removing covers setting out cones and so so so much shovelling lols it was hot work asphalting is hot anyday but at the height of summer where you feel your feet burning through your boots and your cold drinks are warm within minutes it was hard going but gradually I worked up to auger operator then paver driver did time on the rollers and the sweepers worked with the plainer crew and at the plant itself mixing got involved in everything I could asked a lot of questions learnt all I could about the engineering of surfacing now I am third in charge of a team of 35 taking home £75000 a year. I've made a nice life for myself and my wife and two children and am still only 29 when I see on Facebook former class mates and friends who looked down on me for my work decisions still on little more than minimum wage in there entry level jobs I know I made the right decision I might still get hot and dirty day in day out but the hard work has paid off. If you work hard push yourself stay modest share a laugh and keep going you can advance quickly. Sadly a lot of people these days feel society owes them there dream job and unless they have it they refuse to work and complain relentlessly and then find themselves at thirty with no skills or experience.

bluemage1989

JaxonH

@bluemage1989
Perfect example there.

The problem is, society kept beating the drum of "You have to go to college, it's the only way you'll ever be anything more than a minimum wage burger flipper". And now all these people are graduating college with degrees in liberal arts and sociology, and are quickly realizing nobody is willing to pay you for that. And not just the exotic majors, but across the board, college graduates are a dime a dozen nowadays and the jobs aren't there (that's not to say school is necessarily the wrong choice, just that everyone started going to college because everyone wanted a cushy job in a cubicle making $100k/yr- and the world can't operate with everyone being college grads in cubicles). So a lot of them end up applying for jobs at factories like where I work as process engineers or tool room supervisors or quality engineers or what have you. And it's like... I'm making more than those same college grads that are engineers at my job, and I didn't spend $50,000 and 4 years of opportunity cost not working to achieve it.

There are SO many jobs that need to be filled that aren't working in a cubicle like Office Space. The message that needs to be given to a lot of these younger kids nowadays is, college is not the right answer for everybody. And that's true now more than ever (especially as colleges are more and more becoming a political machine for indoctrination- it's why we see the SJW generation emerging, but that's a whole other discussion). The workforce needs people with real, actual skills. And you get those skills by starting at the bottom with grunt work, paying your dues, proving yourself and climbing the ladder, rung by rung. If a college grad applied for an engineering position at my work and I applied internally, I'd get hired over the college grad, easily, because I have the actual skills and experience to perform the job. Classrooms aren't preparing people for the real world in many cases, aside from very targeted jobs that line up with a specific major.

You can actually make just as much if not more as a four-year college graduate nowadays, and you don't have to spend four years of your life and tens of thousands of dollars to do it. But it does require hard work and determination... and it's not going to happen overnight. But people who work hard, they always end up climbing the ladder. But you have to want it. You have to be self driven. If you possess those qualities, I would be shocked... I would be amazed if you don't climb the ladder to at least end up with a respectable middle class income that can sustain a moderately comfortable life with wiggle room for hobbies.

And I got a late start. I was a late bloomer, due to wasting 10 full years from age 16 - 26 in a haze of drug induced madness, that's honestly just a blur to me now. But I still managed to get it together and get where I am today before age 35- it's never too late. A person in their early twenties still? Oh man... the world is their oyster, if they want it.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

-Green-

I just dislike the current educational system in America in general. It forces pointless classes on students and fails to teach several important skills that are super necessary. Not to mention there really is an unfair bias in terms of how the 'higher level' students are treated and supported a lot of the time.

Universities just want to rip you off and leave you in debt. Longer professions will leave one paying loans well into their 30s or early 40s.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

OorWullie

@JaxonH @bluemage1989 Great conversation guys. I didn't take the same route, I followed my heart and left the UK to eventually find what I didn't really know I was looking for. I left school at 16 and went from crappy job to crappy job in the UK before I decided enough was enough and went to The Netherlands on my own where I eventually found another crappy job. Then on to France where I worked as a holiday rep which I absolutely loved despite paying badly. I done 2 seasons of this and my second season I was put in charge of our campsite with several staff below me. This gave me enormous confidence and I met some brilliant people who would influence decisions I made years later. After France I went back to the Netherlands where I found a cladding job that paid well but wasn't going to be long term. I then found another in a steel foundry which was brutal work but paid very well. I lasted there for over 6 years before the 2008 recession eventually led to most of the foreign work force being laid off. No worries for me, I had some savings and used that to move to Thailand and start selling on Ebay. . Nearly 9 years later I've now got my own business that is so easy to run I almost feel like I'm unemployed, except the money keeps coming in. I'm 40 year old and basically retired living in an amazing city,despite being a bad behaved kid who left school at the first opportunity and didn't go to college.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

NEStalgia

Eww, it looks like spyro reignited physical on psxbox will contain game 1 on disc and 2 and 3 are downloads. It's literally 1/3 of a set of 20 year old games (remastered) on a flipping bluray.

Remember this whenever someone says switch tax because of cartridges.

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia Man, that's stupid. People gave them the benefit of the doubt when it got delayed, but if it's still like that then yikes.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

rallydefault

@JaxonH
College is most definitely not the right path for everyone, but as always, humans are now swinging from one extreme to the next - we can never just settle in the middle ground. Over the past 2ish years or so, at least in U.S., there is a growing resentment of colleges and a growing number of students pledging to skip it altogether. Like you said, for some that is perfectly fine, but for others they are going to find themselves woefully ill prepared to attain the job they WANT.

And trickling things down to how much money you make is always a silly argument, at least to me. I'm a teacher. I make next to nothing. I know, for a fact, many non-college friends who make double or even triple what I make. But guess what? They have zero satisfaction in their jobs, and it drives them crazy. It's like a huge hole in their lives. I love my job (even though it can be VERY stressful at times) and I feel like I'm actually making a difference in lives, and I could never have this job without my college educations.

Something funny happened to me last year. A bunch of teachers in my district were taken on tours of local factories and such so that we could go back and tell our kids exactly what we're saying: college doesn't need to be for everyone. Plenty of factory jobs that pay well, etc. The guy at this one place was talking to us, pretty much trashing college educations, but when asked questions about how he worked his way up to manager, he admitted he needed to attend college lol It was just an ironic turn of events that everyone could tell he was fully aware of.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Cobalt

@OorWullie

That's absolutely amazing to read about your professional path !
Even if I'm in a different position than yours, I recognize a lot similarities with what I experienced. ^^

Being quadragenarian and looking back on what we achieved, it's like realizing that the most important is to follow our instinct and not what people could say.
I truly believe that losers are winners who sadly gave up...

Cobalt

link3710

Yeah, I went to a trade school for high school actually, one of the best decisions of my life. Even though my dream job (which I have, engineer) absolutely required a college education, spending my high school learning CNC and machining and actual work experience ended up preparing me for that position just as much as all the mathematics, programming and sciences of college.

I always try to encourage trade schools wherever I can, they're great. Personally, a desk job let's me do what I love, but for so many people... Well, let's just say I'd be far richer now if I hadn't gone to college and pursued my trade to be honest, but I'm far happier as it is.

link3710

EvilLucario

It's a cliche, but it's a cliche statement for a damn good reason: money can't buy happiness. If you're making big stacks of money but you're miserable, what's the point?

You should of course strive for a balance, but I would not want to be miserable at a job.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Toy_Link

Good to see VC4 and DBFZ in the top 30 in the US EShop charts (VC4 #24 DBFZ #14) VC4 is just as successful in the UK EShop charts but FIFA ‘19 is taking DBFZ’s place. WEWY, DBFZ, And Oocchi Warriors are all in the charts on the Japan EShop, VCI is the top 15, but VC4 is nowhere to be seen on Japan’s top 30.

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

SuperWeird

BDFZ kicks ass. Been playing it online for the past few hours with my bro. Best fighting game on the Switch.

SuperWeird

Octane

@NEStalgia Yeah, I was worried about that. 2 and 3 weren't finished, but they already printed the discs it seems. They then realised they couldn't get them done in time before the original September release, and they decided to release the whole trilogy. After all, what's the point of buying a trilogy if you can't even download the other two games on release? It doesn't seem like they reprinted the discs, so they're still downloads. They delayed the game like four weeks before launch, it should've gone gold at that point, so something tells me they already have big stacks of boxes with the first game on it sitting somewhere in a warehouse, waiting for them to finish 2 and 3.

Octane

OorWullie

@Cobalt Cheers pal. Yeah, I've always done my own thing and followed my instincts. I've faced doubters all my life, my friends thought I was a mad man for doing what I was doing,especially moving to Thailand to sell on Ebay haha. I knew what I was doing though. I had it all planned in my head and if it all went tits up and believe me a few times it nearly did, I could at least say I tried but I'm still here, doing alright and living a better life than those who doubted me. 😎

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

bluemage1989

@EvilLucario money doesn't buy happiness no but my family, my nice house, holidays, hobbies, eating out to nice restaurants amongst other things makes me happy and a good wage means I can do have all of these easily and still save. I don't love my job but I love the life it gives me.

bluemage1989

Buizel

NEStalgia wrote:

Eww, it looks like spyro reignited physical on psxbox will contain game 1 on disc and 2 and 3 are downloads. It's literally 1/3 of a set of 20 year old games (remastered) on a flipping bluray.

Remember this whenever someone says switch tax because of cartridges.

Are they accessed by code or by disc? I preordered Spyro physically on ps4 (I usually go digital) as I intend to sell it the second a Switch version is announced. If its the former I might as well just get the whole thing digital methinks.

At least 2'8".

JaxonH

@rallydefault

I think @bluemage1989 said it best:

I don't love my job but I love the life it gives me

I don't look for meaning or satisfaction in my job. I look for meaning and satisfaction in the life my job gives me. The job is just the means to attain it. And as far as being a means to an end, money pretty much is the bottom line. That and the insurance and 401(k) plan.

At the end of the day it's work. Work is a sacrifice on your part in exchange for reward. You don't have to like what you're doing, you just have to like the reward you're getting in exchange for it.

That being said, just because it's not some dream job doesn't mean you're going to hate it. There is a lot in between those two extremes. It might be something you kind of like, or just kind of dislike. Or maybe something you are a lukewarm about. But very rarely will it be a job you actually despise, unless you have settled in your mind to despise anything other than your dream job. Being something you love isn't a prerequisite, but it is a nice bonus. I actually love what I'm doing, even though I happened upon what I do by good fortune (be it of God or chance, I do not know). When you work hard and earn your way up the ladder, you attain a certain self respect. And regardless of what you're actually doing, you enjoy doing something you're good at and something you're knowledgeable about. Pride of work, one might say. But at the end of the day, the job is just the means. The end is what matters.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ryu_Niiyama

Welp now they are being ambiguous about Shenmue I and II going to switch. Thats it. No more buying non AAA multiplats on the Twins. Even if it is a year from now if they head to switch that is where I want to play them.

It is the only way I see ending credits in games now. Spiderman is still in the shrink wrap and I went and bought that on my lunch break since I was so excited. I just hope that Bamco figures out how to put Soul Calibur VI (or anything except V really) on the switch.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

1UP_MARIO

@bluemage1989 “I don't love my job but I love the life it gives me.”
Completely agree. I have been doing my job for over 15 years now and when I started I wasn’t overly happy with it but it has given me a roof over my head, a loving wife and 4 great most of the times children.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic