Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 3,261 to 3,280 of 70,078

MarcelRguez

@Octane Unless they can get larger capacity for a cheaper price, I can see them going with this option, easily.

@Therad Same thing about the NX being region-free Emily has just put out.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Octane

@MarcelRguez They can and it won't cost them jack. They can easily afford more than just 32GB. 32GB was a joke when the Wii U launched in 2012; for a more powerful device in 2017? I don't believe that for a second. Especially when they want to promote their own online store, you'd think that they would at least release a system that can hold a couple of games on its own?

Octane

Grumblevolcano

Emily has also said that 3DS is being supported by Nintendo even in 2018 which seems odd.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

TuVictus

More rumors suggesting NX is primarily a wii u replacement. Interesting.

TuVictus

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano Not necessarily, the 3DS may become a budget line while the NX is the more premium brand. Though it would worry me if they continued to produce first party games for it rather than all resources focusing on the NX.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Octane

From letsplayvideogames:
Untitled

And from Emily Rogers:
Untitled

Emily also claimed the following:

In May, I said Nvidia was involved with the system.
The screen is around 6 inches (6.2 to be specific)
The portable screen has a 720p resolution.
Multi-touch touchscreen (Haven’t heard anything about a stylus.)
32 GB of internal storage is on the NX dev kit. (They may increase storage to 64GB for the final retail unit, but I doubt it.)
There is an SD Card port.
Dock Station has at least 2 USB ports on prototype. Not sure about final product.
NX will support Unreal Engine 4 and Unity engine
NX is below Xbox One and PlayStation 4 in raw power.
Dev kits and prototypes are region free. I heard retail units will be region free too.
Nintendo still plans to support the 3DS with software through 2018.

Sources:
http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/08/report-nx-handheld-dime...
https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/08/31/recap-of-nx-har...

Octane

TuVictus

Shamelesss copy/paste from other website I posted on:

"Wouldn't it make more sense to have the TV connector on the bottom? You dock things down, not up. Same for the headphones, they should be on the top. The OG 3DS made the weird and dumb decision to have it in the bottom center, which made sticking it in my pocket with the headphones in a nightmare. The power button being on the bottom is also annoying due to accidental pressings if leaning the gamepad on the body. the PSP suffered from this, but with the hands accidentally sliding on the power button during play. The SD card should be where the game cartridge is listed and vice versa, though I suppose the New 3DS sets a precedent for a weird, off centered cartridge slot. And it better have proper sticks, not circle pads. I'm hopeful it will, since the gamepad initially had pads and they realized that would have been annoying and switched them before launch.

The Wii U design for these parts would make more sense."

TuVictus

MarcelRguez

It's a hybrid alright. Break a N3DS in half, fuse it with the Wii U gamepad and that's pretty much what you get. I'm liking what I'm seeing.

MarcelRguez

skywake

Therad wrote:

Just because it might be 32 GB in the dev kits, it might not be that number in the final number. Dev kits isn't exactly used as the final product.

True, but at the same time the 3DS has 1GB of internal storage. Basically just for the OS itself. So even if it does have 32GB that doesn't mean much at all. No reason why they can't throw a large SD card in the box.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

skywake

Some thoughts on this image. In particular the "split" D-Pad and the position of the analogue stick
Untitled
If the controller sections are indeed removable then that opens the controller up to customisation. There may be different versions for the left and right sides. You might even be able to attach two "right" sides and get a 360-style analogue stick setup. Which would explain why different leaks are coming out with different configurations. It might also explain the split-dpad

An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

MarcelRguez

I can't believe I didn't notice this until now but...
None of the mock ups so far have R/L/ZL/ZR buttons.

MarcelRguez

TuVictus

Those are probably just implied. After all, they're standard on every gaming hardware these days minus the vita. I doubt they'd take them away and will probably be more comfortably placed than the New 3DS. Though your point does poke a whole in Skywake's theory. They'd have to have the shoulder buttons both on top and below each side if they wanted to make those detachable parts reversible.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

MarcelRguez

@Operative That's why I noticed and precisely why I'm not sure they will be there. They've detailed every button on the thing and even how the controller pieces detach from the console, you'd think we'd have heard whether or not the NX has a pair of triggers and shoulder buttons.

MarcelRguez

DefHalan

32 GB is not enough for how powerful the NX is supposed to be. Even with a SD card it isn't worth it. It worked with the Wii U since you could use external Hard Drives, can't do that with a portable system. I have a 64 GB SD card in my 3DS, since I filled up a 32 GB pretty easy.

The Wi-remotei only had 1 trigger, nunchuck added 2 more, so 3 in total. Having 4 triggers isn't "standard" for Nintendo, since nothing is really standard for Nintendo, which is why speculation for the NX has been so crazy. These leaks keep talking about a machine that sounds terrible. There are things about it people could like but overall the machine sounds like a deformed monster. When Nintendo shows off this machine, they are going to have trouble actually selling people on this idea. Its a portable that can transform into a home console with lots of easily breakable parts, not much storage, 1 screen, and a low battery life... where do I sign up... yeah right

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

TuVictus

It's a deformed monster because trying to appeal to handheld gamers (or phone gamers) as well as people that prefer home console experiences just isn't a natural fit. Those two groups expect entirely different kinds of experiences when it comes to the games they play. Proof: Vita.

TuVictus

skywake

Operative wrote:

Though your point does poke a whole in Skywake's theory. They'd have to have the shoulder buttons both on top and below each side if they wanted to make those detachable parts reversible.

I didn't think of that. I'll be glad if I'm proven wrong then.

DefHalan wrote:

32 GB is not enough for how powerful the NX is supposed to be. Even with a SD card it isn't worth it. It worked with the Wii U since you could use external Hard Drives, can't do that with a portable system. I have a 64 GB SD card in my 3DS, since I filled up a 32 GB pretty easy.

What did you expect it to have when it started to become clear it was a portable? They're not going to throw a HDD in there and they're not going to put >120GB of flash in a <$250US product. And to be honest for the price they're probably targeting? If this was a tablet 32GB is pretty respectable. I don't know about US pricing but here a tablet that has 32GB of internal storage? The cheapest one is the price of the PS4. We can argue about whether or not that's reasonable or not. But that's what it is.

Also, how do you know it doesn't allow external HDDs when docked? If you can put all your large, massive world games on an external HDD? Why not! You're going to play them on the TV anyways. Then you can put Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart and some VC/Indie games on your 32GB + SD card. I don't see what would be so bad about that.

Edited on by skywake

Octane

It's not just the shoulder buttons, there the home button and that supposed 'share' button as well. That would mean you'd loose either one of those buttons or have them placed upside-down.

Octane

skywake

Octane wrote:

From letsplayvideogames:
Untitled

I'm confused about this one. I don't understand why the TV connector and cartridge slot aren't swapped. It doesn't make sense. Surely you want to be able to just sit this thing in a dock similar to the Wii U GamePad charger. Maybe with a satisfying thud as the connectors lock in or something. So Power and Data/Video should be on the same side.

But just as importantly is the cartridge slot. Surely when docked you might sometimes want to change games without having to remove power/video/data. If the cartridge slot was on the top that would work. On the bottom you'd have to fiddle around every time you wanted to change a cartridge. It just doesn't add up.

Though as a dev-kit it might not make a lot of sense. So maybe that's the issue here. Either that or the "TV connector" also delivers power/data and so on when docked. The power connector is just a second way to deliver power/charge when you're using it away from the TV.

edit: another thought on this. The Wii U has two ways to charge, so does the 3DS. That could explain it. The top section that connects to the dock could be something along the lines of this.
Untitled

Edited on by skywake

DefHalan

@skywake for a system that is supposed to have more power than the Wii U means games will most likely be closer to 30GB or more in size. If the system wasn't also a home console, it wouldn't need a crazy amount of power, the 3DS didn't need a crazy amount of power, for games. My co-worker was telling me yesterday how Halo 5 wastaking up over 100 GB on his XB1. Now not every game will be like that, however with game sizes increasing and DLC being a normal thing that releases for games, and further increases the size, I don't see how 32 GB can be acceptable when it wasn't for the Wii U when that launched. The fact the NX is a portable (if these rumors are true) does not give it an excuse to not have enough memory

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic