Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 30,141 to 30,160 of 70,082

Ryu_Niiyama

@JaxonH While I agree I think the issue we are running into now is the fact that publishers sit on Switch versions and release the others with no news. Like I could have saved a purchase on YsVII for ps4 or Okami HD for Ps4 if I'd known even with the delay that they were going to switch. I don't mind a date gap...if I know about it. Otherwise I end up burning money (except Okami....I have a problem).

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

JaxonH

@Ryu_Niiyama
No I hear ya, I do. That's why I just stopped buying multiplats on other systems altogether, until years later when they have orange clearance stickers on them. If the game still isn't on Switch, I'll grab for $15 then.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Harmonie

@shadow-wolf Thanks for the info. I just don't really like having to go through all of those second-hand methods to get Nintendo titles for cheap when practically ever other video game company has official sales of their own frequently and drops titles down in price permanently long before Nintendo does their's.

@JaxonH Wow. I understand why you value the ability to play portable, I really do. But for a game like Kingdom Hearts III, I sure as heck am not going to wait for the potential porting of it to the Switch.

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

kkslider5552000

Ralizah wrote:

I've said before that I don't think, at this point in time, that the Switch has a whole lot to offer someone who:
A) Owned a Wii U
B) Owns other modern gen consoles
C) Doesn't care about portability

That's a lot of specific conditions to meet, though. And, in time, these holdouts will gradually migrate to Switch to play exclusives like Odyssey, Octopath, Mario + Rabbids, Metroid Prime 4, etc. anyway.

Ralizah wrote:

Yep. Options are good, and as long as the game looks and plays good enough, then I'd prefer to have a version of a game that I know I'll play a lot more of.

If someone is going to have an existential crisis about the Switch version being inferior performance-wise (as many concern trolls seem to anytime a new PS4 port comes out), then the PS4 is probably a better fit for them.

Ralizah saying a lot of accurate stuff here that needed to be quoted. I've been saying for a while that you have to be a very specific type of gamer to care about some of these "issues" for Switch. And quite frankly with how limited my funds are while people whine about how not having enough games on the Switch console they just bought without having to actually think about their purchase is really bothering me. I've said it before, if owning a Switch is such a disappointment, just give it to me then. Give it to someone who will actually appreciate it.

also I wish I had thought about them being concern trolls, in hindsight it's fairly obvious

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

JaxonH

@Harmonie
Theres always a few exceptions to the rule. Monster Hunter World was a day one. But those games are far and few between.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Haruki_NLI

I suppose my only issue with downgrades is when its too much for my tastes.

I find it very hard to go to a lower resolution/fps version of a game, especially when I start with the lower version, then upgrade. I cant go back.

But a lot of the time in reverse, I can. I did for DOOM for instance.

But with Crash...I think the jump is rather glaring. Like so much has been cut back in ways I dont think were necessary that it sticks out to me.

Of course this is all under YouTube compression so....

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

@Knuckles-Fajita Really? The visual tweaks don't seem that bad to me.

DOOM's sacrifices, on the other hand, are incredibly noticeable to me. ESPECIALLY considering I've played it on the PC at 60fps/Ultra.

With that said, I'm still playing DOOM on a handheld, and that still possesses a "Wow!" factor that even my decent gaming PC can't provide.

But, well, everyone has their own personal standards for what they're willing to accept from a port in terms of downgrades. Only game I've refused to buy due to the performance on Switch is Nights of Azure 2. The framerate in handheld mode is downright abysmal.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Haruki_NLI

@Ralizah With Crash it feels like they could have done more.

But of course, I go on a game by game basis. DOOM is fine for what it is, I expected that. With Crash, the cutbacks are numerous, but I have also been consistently playing the PS4 release for over a year now.

Buizel

@Knuckles-Fajita I dunno, I think Crash is the kinda game where minor visual downgrades don't really matter, as long as it performs well. Which it does. There's too much going on to pay attention to minor details.

At least 2'8".

JaxonH

Wolfenstein 2 looks incredible on the handheld! Like... really, I'm blown away here. It's much better than I was expecting. It just looks... really good!

I need to call into work today and play Wolfenstein 2. You guys need to check it out. It looks better than my GPD Win 2 could run it, of that I'm confident. They really optimized here.

Azooooz

@Buizel They'll pay attention to even the smallest dot they could find, don't be surprised

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

gcunit

I've had it with people comparing visuals with other systems, especially on the bigger 3rd party offerings e.g. Crash Bandicoot, Wolfenstein etc.

These games are going to dry up if all we do is ***** that they don't look as good on Switch. Just take the Switch version on it's own merits, ffs.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Haruki_NLI

@gcunit Let's take the Switch version of WWE2K18 on its own merits.

Its portable.
Its missing content.
It makes an excellent screensaver.

Other versions:

Full content
Not as good a screensaver

JaxonH

@gcunit
I agree. It's like people have been conditioned to think anything less than PS4 or Xbox One level visuals is unacceptable, not worth playing, yada yada yada.

I dont remember all this hogwash every time a game came to Nintendo Wii. Or the Vita. Or even the 3DS.

I think it's a narrative driven by those who realize there isn't much reason to buy any other version now, so as much emphasis as possible must be placed on how "lesser than" these Switch games are.

For goodness sakes, different systems run different games at varying levels of performance and fidelity. Judge each and every game as if no other version existed in the universe. That's how each game should be judged. On it's own merits. What would reactions be if Wolfenstein 2 was a Switch exclusive? Probably amazing. But the minute you start comparing a system in the minor leagues of power with major league power systems, of course there's gonna be 1,000 little things that are better elsewhere.

You wouldn't watch a college game of football and constantly opine about how each player just isn't as strong or fast as Emmit Smith, would you? No! Because they're not expected to be. What they ARE expected to be, is as strong as fast as other college players.

Likewise, Switch games shouldn't be constantly compared to versions running on power setups. Compare it apples to apples. Compare it to other Switchgames, other handheld games, etc.

The conversation shouldn't be how lesser than a Switch game is compared to PS4 or X1, it should he how amazing it is compared to 3DS and Vita.

Wolfenstein 2 is the most graphically impressive FPS released on a handheld in gaming history. THAT should be the narrative.

Azooooz

@Knuckles-Fajita Did you really bring up a messed up port of the game as an example of it? I agree with @gcunit, we need to stop judging the game solely on graphics and look at its features and gameplay.

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

TuVictus

I'll always go for whatever version has smoother gameplay. That's the disappointing thing about Dark Souls Switch. It both runs worse and comes out later, I was really looking forward to it. Hopefully it's worth the wait for those waiting on the portability

TuVictus

Haruki_NLI

@Azooooz Hey, I am looking at its features and gameplay.

It makes an excellent screensaver. But we DO have to judge Switch games on their own merits compared to the fuller versions.

In Crash's case you get a visual downgrade that, preference depending, you may find too much of a downgrade, and thats fine, but you get portability.

In other cases, you get downgrades so severe the game barely runs with missing content, but you get portability.

toiletduck

@gcunit @JaxonH amen to that
@Knuckles-Fajita no, you get an awesome game for an awesome device. And don't forget that A LOT of gamers don't even own more than one console... But of course, you are free to decide what you find more important if you have the choice to buy the game on different consoles: price, release date, portability, performance, preferred controller (e.g. motion control), friends to play with online, etcetera. So yes, base your own decision on what you find important, but don't try to objectively classify a game as inferior, based on your personal preferences.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

toiletduck

Nice to see all the positive reactions. I'll probably pick this up later in a sale or 2nd hand; it's not worth full price to me (not a huge fan of FPS, only occasionally).

Any chance this paves the way for future high-end games to be ported to/released on Switch?

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Haruki_NLI

Well get this. Just went to see if I can nab a copy of Ys VIII, a new release, releasing TODAY on Nintendo Switch, from our only remaining games dedicated retailer here in the UK and...well...

They dont have it. Doesn't show up on the website. Hell the PS4 version doesn't. Just Vita.
What is this chicanery.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic