Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 27,521 to 27,540 of 70,028

alexis9000

Hey, I'm new here , my name's Alexis (from Portugal, and most especifically from the Island of Madeira), and I am thinking on buying a Nintendo Switch before my holidays in Brazil, should I do it? And if yes, what games are best (apart from Super Mario ones, that I already know are good)?

Thanks in advance

Alexis

alexis9000

Anti-Matter

alexis9000 wrote:

Hey, I'm new here , my name's Alexis (from Portugal, and most especifically from the Island of Madeira), and I am thinking on buying a Nintendo Switch before my holidays in Brazil, should I do it? And if yes, what games are best (apart from Super Mario ones, that I already know are good)?

Thanks in advance

Alexis

Hola, buenos dias Alexis.
Well, my recommendation of Switch games :
1. Portal Knights
2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. ARMS
4. LEGO CITY UNDERCOVER
5. Puyo Puyo Tetris
6. Xenoblade Chronicles 2

I gave you a small list, hope you can discover and expand your games library by yourself. Have fun !

Anti-Matter

NEStalgia

So.....has anyone heard more about the South Park glitch of doom? A little terrified of opening that game while that's an ongoing issue....

@Grumblevolcano @subpopz While in this case it may well be "only" about the card space, you have to look at the trend of unlock codes going back a decade or more. The industry introduced them very, very explicitly as a method of cutting used games and pulling a profit off them through reselling the digital part to each buyer. It's not conspiracy theory, subpopz is absolutely correct, the mechanism was invented specifically to target used game buyers (the XBone launch policy was the natual extension of that....until they were booed off stage). In Switch's case there's also a physical material reason to do it....but don't think for a moment the back end never came up in the board room that day.

NEStalgia

link3710

@alexis9000 While I, and most people here, can't recommend the Switch enough, it would help to know what kind of genres you like? Just looking at games that have had retail releases, these ones might interest you however. There's a ton more amazing games in the eShop if you are looking. Several of these that are upcoming are based on the strength of the IP, the demos released, or their release on other platforms.

Action:
Bayonetta 1&2
Fire Emblem Warriors
Hyrule Warriors

Platformer:
Lego City Undercover
Rayman Legends
Super Mario Oddyssy

RPG:
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Octopath Traveler - Upcoming
Shining Resonance - Upcoming
Ys VIII - Upcoming

Multiplayer -
Splatoon 2
Arms
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Puzzle -
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Super Bomberman R

Strategy
Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battles
Fire Emblem (Switch) - Upcoming
Valkyria Chronicles 1 & 4 - Upcoming

link3710

link3710

@NEStalgia The glitch of doom only affects a sidequest at least, so it's completely avoidable. Still a complete and total mess though, hopefully we'll see a fast patch.

link3710

NEStalgia

@JaxonH I imagine most of the people saying that (South Park should be on Switch) did buy it. It's just, as always, it's a vocal internet minority, while the mass market never cared much, they want Nintendo for Nintendo. Though I also think the extreme release date difference didn't help. Your point is valid about how much sales it indicates were NEW rather than just shifted from other platforms. And you're right, it's not much. And really, with three platforms to choose from, could it really be any other way? They're either all the same platform (in which case all 3 wouldn't survive long term) and thus game sales are static whether there's one or 3 platforms, people just choose different hardware, or one is a very different platform (like Switch) which is likely drawing an audience that doesn't really want the same content the other two have. In either case, the publishers may have a point: There really is no value in multiplat Nintendo support. They can either make games for X/PS/PC crowd, or for Nintendo's crowd, but the two generally don't mix.

In practical terms, why WOULD extra sales be that significant bringing a game to Nintendo....even on launch day.... Their core fans already either own another system geared toward their games (and so even if they'd rather have it on Nintendo will buy it elsewhere anyway), or the target customer had no interest in their games anyway. Bringing a game to Nintendo means specifically you're trying to reach an audience that DIDN'T buy it before, and DIDN'T buy a platform that could play it before. But want to play it on the hardware they do own. How big an audience will that ever realistically be? Ideally what would work best for them is to be able to make their games saleable enough that it won't COST much to include Nintendo so they can pull those extra sales without losses in doing so. And THAT should be ever easier after these initial pushes. If it's all about choosing the easy targets, they could eliminate Nintendo easily....but it runs the risk of alienating consumer PREFERENCE as Switch gains presence steadily...which is a possibly dangerous long term choice in the entertainment business. People go with what's "good" but they also go with what's convenient when it comes to entertainment. Skip low reward now, skip Nintendo now, and with a 2-4 year turn-around for product development you could find yourself outside looking in by the game your game launches... I think that's what will motivate them to keep Nintendo on the radar. Switch has positive growth. WiiU.....did not.

NEStalgia

canucksfan989

@subpopz If i ever trade in stuff i usually remove the codes from the box if i used them

canucksfan989

NEStalgia

@link3710 Good to know it's avoidable..... I thought it was a main story quest.

But yeah, right now it's finger pointing back and forth. I imagine it will get fixed. It's terrible PR. Though either way it involves uConnect. That thing is disastrous on Playstation as well. (There's literally no way to start a new game. EVER. In ANY uConnect game. Your save is server-side. You have to create an all new account with a bogus email just to start a new game.....it's grotesque. I'm likely to believe it's Ubisoft's problem, not Nintendo's in this case.

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

Is uConnect the new uPlay or something else? The only post-2014 Ubisoft games I've bought are Rayman Legends Definitive Edition and Mario + Rabbids which I've only played the first level of the former and haven't started the latter so I don't really know.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano I think I meant uPlay Somehow uConnect got in my head for some reason.

Yeah, on "other" platforms, Ubisoft is all uPlay. Steep, For Honor, Far Cry, etc, etc. uPlay is a hideous disaster. No new games, obscenely long load times while "synchronizing with server." DRM for the 21st century. Play like it's 1994!

NEStalgia

JaxonH

From what I've heard, one optional quest can mess up your current save in South Park.

People know exactly which quest it is, and as I always say, alternative save files or save to 2 files whenever you save.

That way if something by chance does happen you've got a spare save you can fall back on. There's multiple save slots in the game so... just save often and save in 2 slots. And Google the quest name and avoid it. It is optional anyways

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

IceClimbers

@OorWullie That's probably referring to the Switch version of Okami HD.

Edit: Also, I'd bet that the Action/Adventure title listed for XB1/PC is Dead Rising 5.

Edited on by IceClimbers

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Octane

@OorWullie Action/adventure game coming to Switch, PC and Xbox? I was thinking of that Dragon's Dogma port, but that's already on Xbox.

Deep Down, exclusive to Xbox, Switch and PC; Nintendo paid them to keep it off the PS4

Octane

NEStalgia

Probably Okami HD

@Octane I think somebody paid them to keep Deep Down off all platforms. CURSE YOU, ATARI! CURSE YOU!

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

I still really really really want Dissidia NT on Switch. It's a game that would fit the switch multiplayer scene so well, and would fit the target audience (I.E. Japan) so well. Really fun game, but I just refuse to boot the PS for short burst online games these days. The fact that voice isn't part of it by design (It's an online arcade game) makes it fit Switch even better.

NEStalgia

Therad

Octane wrote:

@OorWullie Action/adventure game coming to Switch, PC and Xbox? I was thinking of that Dragon's Dogma port, but that's already on Xbox.

Deep Down, exclusive to Xbox, Switch and PC; Nintendo paid them to keep it off the PS4

Nintendo haven't paid off developers since the ds/Wii.

Therad

Grumblevolcano

I finally beat BotW, nowhere near 100% but I got all the memories and fully completed Champions Ballad for the complete story. Still got a large Switch backlog that will be even bigger when more Wii U ports are released in May.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Haruki_NLI

Regarding DKC TF on Wii U removal (In the US):

1 - Realistically, why is this a big deal? You can redownload it if you already bought it, and how is this "A slap in the face to Wii U owners" when all 13.5m of you had 4 years to jump on this game, nearly 2 years at budget price? If you didn't do it back then, what's going to make you jump on it now?

2 - Also realistically, why is this a big deal? The system is dead. They haven't made any new units since January 31st 2017. The news that DKCTF is coming to Switch for $60 surrounded by Wii U owners saying "But its $20 on Wii U" is not going to suddenly make someone buy a Wii U (Somehow), and grab DKCTF there for the sake of $40.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic