Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 27,121 to 27,140 of 70,035

JaxonH

@gcunit
now all anyone can talk about is bloody ports from the (beloved) Faiil U

Don't think that's true at all. People are talking about plenty of games that aren't Wii U ports. Mario Tennis, Fire Emblem, Smash, Bayonetta 3, Octopath Traveller, No More Heroes, SMTV, Pokémon, Metroid Prime 4 (I guess Yoshi when it gets closer to release) are all new, Switch-exclusive games people are talking about.

But people are going to be excited for ports in the same way people got excited for PS2 ports on Vita or Wii U ports on 3DS. Not only is it the first ever handheld version of a lot of these games, it's definitely the first ever HD hybrid version... and that's exciting. People should be talking about them. People want to see the best of Wii U come over, and there's nothing wrong with that (and, they'll help Switch continue to break records- it needs Wii U ports to keep a 1st party title per month releasing on average, something not even Sony could dare to dream of attempting)

But that hardly means that's the only thing people are talking about. It's probably the only thing I'm talking about, eeing as DKC Tropical Freeze is one of my favorite games of all time. You people are going to be sick of hearing about that game before I'm done.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

bluemage1989

@kkslider5552000 have to agree with you on that. I've had good feelings about it for a while now and I think people will be pleasantly surprised by Sushi Strikers. Sleeper hit written all over it.

@link3710 im not opposed to the idea of WiiU ports as such I think they should just be supplementary and I can see Nintendo's logic it worked out financially for the PS4 especially in the early stages but I feel they should be spaced out over the lifespan of the Switch. Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors, NSMB and Mario 3D while they are good games I don't think warrant another release.

Maybe I am just spoilt after such a great first year and should hold back judgment until after E3.

bluemage1989

JaxonH

@bluemage1989
I imagine a good number of Wii U ports won't warrant another purchase for many Switch gamers. Just because most of them were relatively recent and Wii U owners, specifically, already played them. But, if even half of Switch owners didn't own a Wii U, and then of the remaining half, half of them want to purchase for various reasons (never played on Wii U despite owning one, wants a portable version, wants a hybrid version, wants an "ultimate" Nintendo console with as many of their top games compiled onto one jack of all trades console, wants full 1080p upgrade which hey, people rebuy games on PS4 all the time just for that, etc), there still ends up being a sizable demand.

But I do think they've front loaded a lot of their Wii U ports into year 2, to compensate for the fact they front-loaded half of their year 2 games into year 1, in order to hit the ground running.

I think year 3 won't see many Wii U ports at all. I think it's a year 2 thing because they "borrowed" some year 2 games to hustle the first year into gamer madness. But we will still see some ports/remasters, as all systems do, I just think they'll be more from previous consoles. Maybe a Skyward Sword remaster, a Metroid Prime remaster, etc etc.

E3 should be golden though. Proper console Fire Emblem reveal with fall release, proper Pokémon and Smash reveal with fall release, surprise Pikmin 4 and/or Mario Maker announcement, and some new announcements for 2019 to start lining up with Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4- maybe Animal Crossing, Retro's new title, Luigi's Mansion 3, etc.

If I can just get my Fire Emblem, my Metroid, my Bayonetta (and my DKC 😁)... I'm good. After that, surprise me. I don't care. I'll really have no specific requests from a 1st party perspective, aside from maybe Xenoblade X on Switch and Monolith Soft's new IP (don't get me wrong, Im stoked for games like Mario Tennis Aces and Smash but, I'm talking the bare necessities here). And if I could just get my Valkyria Chronicles 4, Valkyria Chronicles 1 (please come west), Dragon Quest Builders 2, Dragon Quest XI, Octopath, a gosh darn Monster Hunter game, Dark Souls and The World Ends With You, I wouldn't have any complaints. Actually, I would. Because I've got a mile long list of third-party titles I want to see on Switch, but I'd be 75% content just from those games alone. Another 10% if we get The Snack World localized. Another 5% if they port Tomb Raider.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

IceClimbers

@JaxonH Don't forget the rumored Ridge Racer 8. Really hoping that one is true.

My two most wanted 3rd party ports (Crash and South Park) were announced in the March Direct, so I'm pretty happy. My most wanted ports now are Dragon Ball FighterZ and UMvC3, both of which I think are a matter of when, not if.

I think we'll see more Wii U ports next year, but they'll all be doubled up like DKC and Hyrule Warriors are or they'll be paired with a new title like Captain Toad is with Octopath. Them actually using January would help too

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Spoony_Tech

IceClimbers wrote:

@JaxonH Don't forget the rumored Ridge Racer 8. Really hoping that one is true.

Me too! Day one purchase if this comes to light.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

IceClimbers

Anyways, South Park has FINALLY been listed on the US eShop coming soon section. Still no preload though. The game's listing is a bit weird though. Both the standard edition and the Gold Edition, which bundles the game and the Season Pass are listed. However, the DLC content isn't listed on the standard edition's page, only on the Gold Edition's page. The Season Pass content is available separately, which is nice.

Also the Towelie bonus content, which was a preorder bonus on the other versions, is available for purchase for $1.99.

Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition has also been listed, no preload yet though. Still no Naruto!

JaxonH

@IceClimbers
You're that big a South Park fan, huh? I really never liked the crude humor. But I can brush that off. Some of it is actually really funny, I just don't like the crude stuff is all. But in all honesty the game does look fun. Not super awesome mega gem level of good but... more like Far Cry. Far cry is always a solid, fun game. It's never ultra amazing, but it's always a fun game you can depend on to be pretty good. Kinda like most Ubisoft games.

I would prefer Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite over 3. Unfortunately we have to acknowledge the fact we are a minority of the gamership at large. And specialty device platforms like Switch will never be treated equally (though some of that is justified, given the capabilities of the device). But still, coming from Vita and 3DS, this is the best gosh darn 3rd party support I've seen a portable gaming device get my entire life. PSP and DS got a lot of games but, quality matters too. Back in those days handheld games were scaled down experiences. And ultra sub-HD with limited buttons. Stuff like motion controls and detachable controllers? Ha! You'd have to be smoking something real strong to expect high caliber gaming like that on the go.

I wonder... would it be possible to pay someone to modify a PS4 into a handheld system, removing the disc drive and all other unnecessary components, using a smaller m.2 SSD via adapter and integrating a screen. I would pay good money if someone knew how to modify a PS4 into a handheld. Even if it was a little bigger than Switch.

IceClimbers

@JaxonH Yup. The crude humor never bothered me much, and some of the social commentary of the later seasons I find enjoyable (screw season 20 though, that one was terrible). I agree on your assessment of most Ubisoft games by the way.

To be honest I'm not sure Capcom would bother with Infinite. 3 would be cheaper anyways. Now, RE4 on the other hand needs to happen ASAP. Complete with motion aiming.

JaxonH

@IceClimbers
I can't believe more people didn't buy Resident Evil Revelations 1 and 2 on Switch (don't get me wrong, they outsold PS4 and X1 combined, but even so I think they're worthy of being million sellers)

I mean, they're both excellent RE games, both have awesome motion and more than that, that killer reloading gesture (I love it!). They are extremely high-quality games, incredibly fun with motion and both at a price to die for (no pun intended). Maybe they don't quite reach the heights of RE4 but, quality Resident Evil games in HD with motion (handheld at that) aren't exactly in abundance these days. You'd think more people would have jumped all over that Collection. Especially given how good the games look in comparison to other versions.

Edited on by JaxonH

IceClimbers

@JaxonH Revelations 1 is probably due to already being available on 3DS and Wii U, and was a 3DS exclusive for a while too.

Revelations 2 though... I don't know. Only thing I can think of is the file size somehow being a turn off to some people.

JaxonH

@IceClimbers
Ah yes, the good old file size dilemma.

I want to download South Park and Naruto Trilogy. But South Park is 17.3gb and Naruto is also about 18gb total. I've only got 110gb left out of 432gb (just deleted Chess, Uno and Slime San since it's getting a physical release).

Mind you, DKC and Hyrule Warriors is going to be 20gb for the pair. That's 90gb, with Octopath, Mario Tennis, Smash, Metroid Prime, Pokémon, DQ Builders 2, DQXI, Fire Emblem and Valkyria Chronicles 4 all guaranteed downloads as well.

I just don't have the space! I need that dang 512gb card but it's on backorder and says they don't know when they're getting more in stock. It originally said they were getting more stock in April but my never shipped so I guess I was too far down the waiting list of orders. I'll probably get it just in the nick of time.

But even then if I filled 300gb in the first year, how on earth am I going to manage another 5 years. I need 2 terabytes, at the MINIMUM 1 terabyte. 512gb is just a stop gap. I hate to split between 2 cards but, may have to. At least until the end of the generation when technology catches up to the point we have 1tb cards. But honestly I'm thinking we won't see more than 750gb cards by then, meaning I'd still need 2 of those just to barely squeeze the full Switch library onto them.

Idk man... It's a tough situation. Maybe I'll skip Naruto and go physical only for South Park.

JoetheLion

For people talking about how this year, so far, hasn't been that good for Switch, well, things will get better. Back in 2002, in the first half of that year, PS2 didn't have much of anything great on the horizon. I remember people saying "PS2 had a great 2001, but they blew their load and now there is nothing on the horizon". Well, as we know, given some time, the PS2 started rolling out more great games and ended up with one of the best libraries on any platform.

Nintendo these days likes to unveil games closer to their launch dates. The second half of this year should be better than the first half of this year for the Switch. And Nintendo is probably playing their cards right to have a strong or at least acceptable 2019. Switch is a good success, the Switch will have the best 3rd party support for a Nintendo home console in a long time, and Nintendo can now focus all their development on one system instead of separate consoles and separate handhelds like they have in the past. The games will keep rolling on out.

JoetheLion

IceClimbers

@JaxonH Yeah file sizes and managing storage is a bit of an issue... on all modern platforms honestly.

So far I only have Zelda and Mario physically, but I bought South Park physically. I'm probably going to buy a few of the larger games physically just because it makes managing storage easier. If I had to archive something with a 20+GB file size I'd probably be hesitant to redownload it later on and therefore be less likely to replay it unless it's something really good like Doom.

IceClimbers

Splatoon 2's 3.0 update will be available tomorrow! Also Camp Triggerfish is coming this weekend.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/splatoon-2-3-0-update-coming...

Edit: Also, with this comes changes to the map selection in ranked mode. Each of the four modes will have a selection of 8 of the maps for that month. The selection of 8 maps will change each month. For May 2018, Camp Triggerfish will appear in all four modes.

Here's the possible maps for each mode for May 2018 outside of Camp Triggerfish:

Splat Zones: The Reef, Humpback Pump Track, Inkblot Art Academy, MakoMart, Walleye Warehouse, Goby Arena, Piranha Pit
Tower Control: The Reef, Humpback Pump Track, Sturgeon Shipyard, Manta Maria, Kelp Dome, Snapper Canal, Arowana Mall
Rainmaker: Sturgeon Shipyard, Moray Towers, Port Mackerel, Manta Maria, Kelp Dome, MakoMart, Shellendorf Institute
Clam Blitz: Musselforge Fitness, Starfish Mainstage, Inkblot Art Academy, Snapper Canal, Blackbelly Skatepark, Arowana Mall, Piranha Pit

Edited on by IceClimbers

Ralizah

It's telling that, even though 2018 has looked thin for the Switch so far, there's still far more games coming out for the system this year that I want than in even the best years of the Wii U. There are already more games I want this year than I will be buying, and that's before E3.

South Park looks fun, but there are more crucial third party releases to support with my limited budget. I'll definitely pick it up on sale at some point, though.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH @IceClimbers File sizes are definitely a bigger issue on Switch than other platforms as the other platforms can easily be resolved by buying a very large external hard drive. The technology isn't available yet for a very large microSD card.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

skywake

JaxonH wrote:

@IceClimbers
I can't believe more people didn't buy Resident Evil Revelations 1 and 2 on Switch.

I was tempted but it's a hard sell when I already got both on PC via a humble bundle a few years ago. I think that's part of the issue right there. These had been bargain bin games elsewhere for years. Hard to convince people who had held off until now to pay up and get it on Switch.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JaxonH

@skywake
Normally I'd agree (I actually do still agree to some extent) but I think what separates them from that is the Switch benefits i.e. Motion controls, HD portable version and console version (makes it like they're $10 for each). The tabletop mode...

To me that stuff is worth it. Unless you don't care about any of that. But I would then question why someone really bought a Switch in the first place (generally speaking, I know there are a few people who literally just want to play the exclusives)

JaxonH

No... No no no no NO! 512gb micro SD order cancelled from Amazon UK.

Our supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available

No no no no NO!!!

Welp, I'm screwed. That's it. I'm screwed. Goodness knows how long it'll be before some other company manufactures a 512gb card. A year from now... 2 years from now? It seems like they are all focusing on higher classes of speed now rather than larger storage.

I need to bribe @AlexOlney to sell me his. $300 via PayPal and paid shipping? Hmm? He doesn't need a 512 anyways, right 😁

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic