Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 19,881 to 19,900 of 70,011

electrolite77

UmniKnight wrote:

@electrolite77 You know, just my 2 cents but I find that guy to be a bit of a shill at times. Tends to overlook some problematic things, like how FE:W has cut-corners (which explains why it's done already).

I don't know, I don't watch games stuff on YouTube very much. I've done more recently as it's something I can do while feeding a 2-month-old but that's the first video of his that I've seen. I thought it was right on the money though.

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

KirbyTheVampire

The first 20 hours of Breath of the Wild were probably my favorite, before the game started getting kind of stale. As a whole, I'd say Odyssey.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

electrolite77

@SLIGEACH_EIRE

Seriously fella, stop moaning about ports. Even ignoring that you don't have a Switch, even ignoring your constant moans about no VC (those ports are OK apparently), complaining about ports from systems that you refuse to buy is ludicrous. To you, if you had a Switch, they are new games.

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

Grumblevolcano

Sonic Forces is now showing up in the coming soon section of the UK eshop with a price of £34.99 and file size of 6.6GB. In comparison, the XB1 file size is 18.53GB so the 30fps may have been a result of keeping the file size below 8GB.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Nalverus

@Grumblevolcano that would have no effect on how fast the hardware would render images per second.

its that low due to lower poly renders and the format the nintendo switch uses.

Edited on by Nalverus

HUZZAH!

Haruki_NLI

Lower resolution assets I imagine, since it caps at 720p docked. Missing a lot of lighting effects too that will kick space off the file size. But having lower resolution textures really will make a huge difference

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

rallydefault

@BLP_Software
Wow. You guys pay 20% tax on basically everything? Geez. I will never complain about sales tax again lol

rallydefault

JaxonH

@electrolite77
constant moans about no VC (those ports are OK apparently)

Lol... killed it.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Haruki_NLI

@rallydefault Some things are zero rate (Which is 0%), and a few are 5% like home energy and car seats for kids, but most goods and services are 20%.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JaxonH

Oh dear... too many games. I just find it mind blowing how many games have come or are coming to the system in the first 9 months after launch. It's night and day from Wii U. Let's take a look at how many retail games Jax will have bought on Switch this year:

Zelda Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey
Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
ARMS
Splatoon 2
Pokken Tournament
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Fire Emblem Warriors
Ultra Street Fighter II
Rayman Legends
LEGO City Undercover
Super Bomberman R
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Soldam: Drop, Connect, Erase
Cave Story +
The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth +
Tiny Barbarian DX
Retro City Rampage DX
Sine Mora EX
FIFA 18
NBA 2K18
88 Heroes
Has Been Heroes
Poi: Explorer Edition
Monopoly for Nintendo Switch
Fate Extella: The Umbral Star
Disgaea 5 Complete
Nights of Azure 2
Dragonball Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch
One Piece: Unlimited World Red (UK Import)
I Am Setsuna (JP Import)
Monster Hunter XX _(JP Import)
DOOM
WWE 2K18
Snipperclips Plus
Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
L.A. Noire
Resident Evil Revelations Collection
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Axiom Verge
MXGP3
Gear.Club
LUMO
Xonic: Superbeat
This Is The Police
Battle Chasers: Nightwar
Redout
RIME
The End Is Nigh
Ittle Dew 2 +

And that makes no mention of the digital games like Rocket League or Minecraft, Hollow Knight and Shovel Knight, Steamworld Dig 2, etc. Coming off the back of a thin launch is even more impressive. Normally I wouldn't buy so many games, but being a hybrid system (the first ever) games just seem more appealing. I have a massive home console games collection. When it comes to finding a great game to play at home I've got plenty. What I don't have is a large, diverse library for hybrid gaming. And that's why it's so exciting buying all these games in all these different genres- it's building a new type of game library- a type of game library that never existed before.

@electrolite77
constant moans about no VC (those ports are OK apparently)

Lol... dude you killed it.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

skywake

UmniKnight wrote:

Besides, you say boring box, but can you imagine Nintendo's games when they had a ton of power behind them? What those creative minds could do with that?

Boring in the sense that the industry would be boring if that's what everyone did. As it stands there aren't many reasons to own more than one of the PS4/XBOne/PC. They all more or less do the same thing. If that's all that we had on offer from all companies then it would be a very boring marketplace.

With the Switch offering something different? Well now there's another question to ask yourself when you're looking at games. It makes the market a bit more interesting. In the same way that the Wii offered something different from the PS3/360. Or how 90s era consoles had various hardware advantages/disadvantages. Like how the N64 had fast load times, better graphics and four controller ports vs the Playstation which had a CD-ROM which allowed for larger games.

What's the point of competition if everyone does the same thing?

rallydefault wrote:

@BLP_Software
Wow. You guys pay 20% tax on basically everything? Geez. I will never complain about sales tax again lol

To be fair how bad or not it is depends on where else things are taxed. Also how and where the exceptions are. For example Australia has 10% sales tax across everything sold in Australia... except unprocessed foods, medical services, education, childcare, exports and pre-owned real-estate.

But as an overall proportion of GDP Australia (and the UK) have a lower tax rate than the US. So I'd rather pay the 10% tax on a video game than live in the US where they'd inevitably get in my pocket some other way. Even if, as a West Australian, there are other things about the GST I may whine about....

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

kkslider5552000

I mean, to be slightly fair, all 3 consoles were...relatively similar during the PS2/GCN/Xbox era. So I kinda get the complaints since that's an era I really grew up with and loved. But there's two massive differences in that

1. Many AAA companies have given up even attempting to make games beyond the same few genres (and the same few games in those genres), and/or don't make as many games as they used. And they are, for the most part, the only ones that remotely need power beyond what the Switch is capable of.
and 2. Sony and Microsoft have slowly been destroying the advantages of console gaming over PC

Tbh, Switch is like the mid-tier gaming device that's probably been needed for quite some time.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

JoyBoy

Limited hardware never stopt anyone from being creative. Do you think the big AAA games are that creative? I think not.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

skywake

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I mean, to be slightly fair, all 3 consoles were...relatively similar during the PS2/GCN/Xbox era. So I kinda get the complaints since that's an era I really grew up with and loved. But there's two massive differences in that

It also happens to be the one generation where there was the least amount of competition. The PS2 sold almost 3x the GC, XB and DC combined. Fond memories or not I don't think that was a particularly good console generation as far as consumers were concerned. Especially when you remember that Sony came out of the other side of that generation thinking they could get away with anything. And they probably would have if Nintendo wasn't going in a completely different direction.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JaxonH

Resident Evil Revelations Collection sounds legit.

• based on PS4/X1 versions
  • 60fps (second game might be 30fps)
  • 1080 docked/720p handheld
  • HD Rumble
  • Split Joycon co-op
  • joycon/pro controller/sideways joycon
  • motion controls

Pasted Excerpt
By holding ZL on the Joy-Con, you can aim your gun with the right Joy-Con’s motion control. You can even use the left Joy-Con as a magazine to simulate a reloading motion. Other motion controls include slashing horizontally to simulate a knife attack, and swinging the Joy-Con vertically for a quick reload. Motion controls are optional and can be set to on or off from the options settings. However, motion controls are not supported with the Pro Controller.

Switch’s HD Rumble allows for more detailed and complex vibrations. There will be new kinds of rumble that weren’t in the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions.

MFD

@skywake The question I ask you, is do we need our home-consoles to be something different other than what they are? (Yes, people prove they want it with their sales, but how much of that is newness and the likes? Who says these people wouldn't be content with a Handheld/home-console combo?) Exclusives have constantly been major selling points for these machines, putting functionality aside. Hell, I've bought my Switch with that in mind, hoping the third-party side would shape up to be equally great in the long run due to it's potential, but I wouldn't shed a single tear for my current Switch if Nintendo decided to build another 100% home-console with more power and thus capability of receiving third-party games and Switch it around to the new model in a heartbeat.

Improvements in the industry, so to speak, I'd like to see those in the games I play, not necessarily in the systems they're on. Nintendo proves that they're able to work magic with little hardware prowess, but third-parties aren't like that, and they will need each-other to keep things running.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

JaxonH

People just don't get it. There wouldn't be any 3rd party games on Switch if it were a normal console.

Because if it were a normal console, nobody would buy it except the same 13 million people who bought a Wii U. Everyone else would say "why would I buy a Nintendo console if the only thing it offers is Nintendo games? I already have better versions of 3rd party games and way more of them". And as a result whatever devs were supporting it year 1 would leave, and it would be Wii U all over again. We've seen it time and again- people don't care about Nintendo if it doesn't offer anything new or different than other consoles.

So sure. You'd have a powerful console but no 3rd party games on it. And Nintendo's games would be exactly the same except a little prettier. It would fail just like Wii U did. Just like GameCube did.

So it's Switch or nothing.

MFD

@JaxonH So let me ask you, what sells the Switch right now? The Joy-Cons (aside from them being integral for handheld play, which is key) The HD Rumble? Or the console games on the go with handheld functionality, and the side-ability to dock it for TV-screen play? I'm sure people would buy it if you just gave them the main functionality pieces they cared about, and evaporated everything else, which still makes it largely like those boxes, save that it functions as a handheld as well. Make the dock it's own console with some serious power, and you've got yourself a nice half-measure.

With the PS4/Xbox One, it's no mystery what's selling them: Games, coupled with a good amount of power to make them look great. The Switch is still new, so it's not set in stone what parts of it are truly crucial for the sales of the machine.

Actually, genuine question: Is that special Xbox Controller a selling point for anyone?

Edited on by MFD

MFD

JaxonH

The Nintendo games in combination with the hybrid format. Either of those two alone wouldn't be enough. Together, it is. And the fact it's an easy, instant transition. Nobody would care if you had to plug in a cable or something.

The joycon are part of that easy, instant transition. The format wouldn't work properly without them.

MFD

@JaxonH Sure, their functionality as a controller in and of themselves by removing them and putting them on that hold thingy, but would people mind if you attached them to the Switch permanently and sold it without dock and cables? I wonder how much that would sell at a reduced price. I hope we see statistics about who uses Joy-Cons primarily when docked, vs pro-controller, and who uses tabletop. We've had the docked/handheld/hybrid, now for the rest.

As for the Nintendo box argument, it's been so long since they've tried, I daresay it's hard to tell if it'll sell. The PS4/Xbox One sell off killer games that look (and arguably) run well, so why wouldn't that work for Nintendo coupled with their exclusives line-up of IP? I'll admit that over-saturation would be a concern though, but at this rate I'd see Microsoft be bumped out of such a racer sooner than Nintendo.

MFD

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic