Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 17,181 to 17,200 of 70,036

kkslider5552000

Spoony_Tech wrote:

I can't remember this many high quality games released in the first year of any systems life.

GCN had Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, Smash Bros Melee, Rogue Squadron 2, Wave Race: Blue Storm SSX Tricky, Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2, Super Mario Sunshine, THPS 3 and 4, Bomberman Generation, Animal Crossing, Mario Party 4, Sonic Adventure 2, Star Fox Adventures and Sonic Mega Collection

If Metroid Prime had come out literally a day earlier, it would count too (GCN would've won by default if that happened tbh).

The impressive thing is that there are probably still more high quality releases on Switch by the time we get to early March 2018 (especially if I'm using Star Fox Adventures as and example of high quality ). It is different though, since GCN was halfway there to having notable retail multi-console releases around that time (even if only a few are on that list I made), whereas Switch succeeded because there's a billion games out there and only a small fraction of even the really good ones are big retail titles (and admittedly even GCN had a bit of a drought IIRC between the Sonic Adventure 2 port around February(?) and Mario Sunshine in August).

Indies don't count as much towards a console's favor for various reasons (even if only some of them are justified) and "major console has a good chunk of good and interesting indie games" is just a normal expectation now.

Switch will probably be better in its first year for software but I could never put it above GCN, because of nostalgia. Being 11 years old, getting a new console (first time I ever got one close to release), with such a huge jump in graphics, playing this many awesome games (and quite a few more lesser ones I still enjoyed!) in one year, is never gonna be replicated. Obviously. The fact that Smash Bros Melee and Metroid Prime are 2 of my top 5 fav games also helps.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Samus7Killer

Played some Mario Maker tonight over my usual Overwatch nightlies and it made me super depressed about Miiverse dying off. That game screams for Miiverse. Im so sad about this!

Samus7Killer

Octane

@kkslider5552000 Everyone always forgets about the GameCube.

I own 7 of those "launch" titles, 8 if we include Prime (and the only reason I don't own Super Monkey Ball is because one of my friends owned it). So far, only Odyssey is on my radar for the Switch. I'll wait for a price drop on Splatoon 2 and ARMS. So in terms of quantity, GameCube still wins for me. Hadn't I owned a Wii U, the Switch would've been a very close second.

Octane

EvilLucario

SNES, PS2, and GameCube were all amazing launch systems.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

Octane wrote:

So far, only Odyssey is on my radar for the Switch. I'll wait for a price drop on Splatoon 2 and ARMS. So in terms of quantity, GameCube still wins for me. Hadn't I owned a Wii U, the Switch would've been a very close second.

I actually would be happy to get more than half of the games from that indies showcase if they live up to their trailers tbh. And quite frankly, most of them are probably better than at least a couple of the GCN games I mentioned. (and would cost less)

I think my point was ultimately GCN in late 2002 > Switch in early 2018. But probably Switch in early 2018 > GCN's first year if looked at in 2018. Which is still impressive imo. 3DS and PS4 wouldn't do that year 1, straight up.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

gcunit

If PS4 launched with Last of Us Remastered, Uncharted Trilogy Remastered, and Little Big Planet 3 all inside the first 6 months, would we be congratulating Sony on a tremendous launch lineup?

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Octane

@kkslider5552000 None of them caught me interest really. I had known about Mulaka for a while, but it's a 3D game. 3D and ''indie'' don't always work together very well, so I'll wait and see. And No More Heroes, but is that really an ''indie'' game when it's coming from a well established developer that has been in the industry for about two decades?

Octane

FragRed

@gcunit I don't think Little Big Planet 3 did that well, certainly not the critical or sales reception the first two got.

I remember the PS4 and Xbox One launch and the exclusives they both received - watched a 6 hour Eurogamer live stream of the games. At the time I think most people would have said it's a great launch but that was due to the hype surrounding it all. Move forward even just a year and people's reflections changed. Will be interesting to see how the future reflects on Nintendo Switch launch year.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Grumblevolcano

The Wii U's first year was about on par with Xbox One's 2017.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

kkslider5552000

Octane wrote:

None of them caught me interest really.

Then I feel sorry for you.

Grumblevolcano wrote:

The Wii U's first year was about on par with Xbox One's 2017.

Sure. I mean, I'm not sure it's easiest to compare good-ish first year games and meh at best 3rd party support for Wii U to good 3rd party supporting and dog in a place on fire "This is Fine" first party games on Xbox. Though it's funny that Nintendo's idea was to cut the price and Xbox's idea is to release a more expensive, more powerful upgrade of it.

NVM, I just remembered Platinum's relationship in both these scenarios, Wii U wins. :V

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Octane

@kkslider5552000 I don't have the time and money to play a hundred games a year, and frankly, I've seen and played indie games that appealed to me a lot more. Can't please everyone though, and that's fine. I already have enough games to play as it is.

Octane

SKTTR

I wouldn't count Animal Crossing and Super Monkey Ball 2 launch games, when those were released in 2003, 2 years into the systems lifespan. Great GCN launch games no one's mentioning here were Eternal Darkness, Skies of Arcadia Legends, Phantasy Star Online Episode I&II, Lost Kingdoms, Star Wars Rogue Squadron II, Summoner 2: A Goddess Reborn, Bloody Roar, and NBA Courtside 2002.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

FX102A

Last friday I experienced something I had been wondering (and hoping) would happen since I first saw the Switch being revealed.

Whilst on the train, someone opposite me asked about my Switch (she actually didn't know what it was saying she had seen no tv adverts) and before we knew it, we were playing local multiplayer on Mario Kart and Snipperclips. Helped the journey pass quickly.

The opportunity for spontaneous local multiplayer and even a way of meeting people was always a unique "feature" I expected of the Switch.

Anyone else experience this?

FX102A

SLIGEACH_EIRE

[Japan] Media Create sales for Week 34, 2017 (August 21st – August 27th)

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/japan-media-create-sales-we...

Switch is back on top in the hardware sales after a massive drop-off last week. Which was no doubt helped by Monster Hunter XX Switch Version which debuted at number 1 in the charts. I'd give you numbers but you can check for yourself, they've Media Create and Famitsu figures, which vary a bit.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Octane

@SKTTR Animal Crossing came out in 2002, and Super Monkey Ball 2 as well. Unless you're talking about the European release, in that case the GameCube itself didn't come out until 2002, so Super Monkey Ball 2 was still a year 1 game (early 2003 release). Only Animal Crossing had a bit of a delay in Europe, but a PAL version released in Australia a year before it came out over here.

@FX102A I heard a Mario Odyssey at Gamescom ad on the radio the other day, that's all so far

Octane

Therad

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

[Japan] Media Create sales for Week 34, 2017 (August 21st – August 27th)

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/japan-media-create-sales-we...

Switch is back on top in the hardware sales after a massive drop-off last week. Which was no doubt helped by Monster Hunter XX Switch Version which debuted at number 1 in the charts. I'd give you numbers but you can check for yourself, they've Media Create and Famitsu figures, which vary a bit.

I don't think the text reflects reality. The switch has been sold out every week, which points to high demand. They can't really make any predictions on next week because of that. If it is lower next week, it is more probable that supply isn't met.

Therad

JaxonH

MHXX sales bode well. Hit about 85k, on an install base of 1.5 million, so roughly a 6.5% week one attach rate.

Past MH entries on 3DS typically sold 1.5 million (give or take) for their first week. But that's on an install base of 25 million. So also a 6% week one attach rate.

There are roughly 17x as many 3DS in Japan as there are Switches. And sure enough, the MHXX sales are roughly 1/17 of those of past games on 3DS.

But here's the kicker- MHXX is a port of a 6 month old expansion of a 2 year old game. Whereas the 3DS releases were new games. That's pretty good, cause people are effectively buying the game for the 3rd time out there. I think had it been a new game, it would have done 4x these numbers.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

MFD

@JaxonH Still wondering what it would've done if localized, since people in the West (at least, I hear that sentiment quite often) really want a console MH experience. Sure, they'll get that with World, but that's still a while off.

I just hope Capcom is pleased with this, if there's space for that in their cramped minds of testing the Switch, while being content with how games like Street Fighter V performed on PS4

MFD

Grumblevolcano

@UmniKnight It would've probably done very well provided the west release date was far enough away from Super Mario Odyssey (FE Warriors sales are almost certainly going to suffer for being too close).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic