Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 1,541 to 1,560 of 70,082

DjLewe78

It think it must be either the new controller or possibly this game streaming service to launch alongside the NX they are working on. The inside of the machine surely must be done by now.
Whatever it is im sure it's for the best. Just wish they would shut up until they can at least explain what my money will buy!!!!

Edited on by DjLewe78

1 up !

Peek-a-boo

I feel like all this hushed silence is only going to make the reveal even worse than it should be.

We live in a very technological age where new ideas and projects are happening all the time.

I just cannot see what is inside the Nintedno R&D department that isn't 'out there' in today's world.

I'm almost preparing myself to be let down with the NX, whatever it may well be.

Peek-a-boo

WebHead

@TomJ unsurprising it's just who the company is and we don't need a fifth of the same box.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Octane

@Peek-a-boo @WebHead I couldn't agree more. Silence is a good thing if you play it out right, but they have been teasing the NX for so long at this point (not just the fans, Nintendo has dropped the name ''NX'' on previous occasions without any reason at all). It either has to be an amazing console or disappointment will follow. I agree with the NeoGAF post, I don't think Sony or MS even cares about what the NX is (well in terms of competition they do, but not what the system actually is). They have already a pretty clear concept in mind about what they're going to do. Whatever the NX is, they won't be copying Nintendo.

Octane

WebHead

@Octane and if they do they can do it after reveal, which they've done regardless. This system and games better impress

WebHead

gcunit

Octane wrote:

Whatever the NX is, they won't be copying Nintendo.

@Octane While I can't offer any evidence to back this up, I suspect comments/thoughts similar to the one you've just made were made pre-Wii too, at which point I should point out the Kinect and PS Move that are waving hello just behind me.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Octane

@gcunit To be fair, the EyeToy was a also thing that already existed before the Wii.

Anyway, I've was thinking about this a few days ago. Whilst all three companies had some form of motion controls for their seventh generation consoles, only Nintendo based an entire console around the idea. Assuming that this idea of Nintendo can be easily ''copied'', doesn't that just mean that it's essentially just a peripheral? If it can be easily applied to PS4 and XOne, then I'm not sure why there's this need to use it as the foundation of a system. The positive thing about the PS Move and Kinect was that Sony and Microsoft could easily ditch the peripherals, whilst Nintendo was stuck with the Wii once the ''casual'' crowd moved away. In a sense, it may be safer to not base your hardware around a gimmick, you know, in case it doesn't work.

Octane

dtjive

That Miyamoto comment seems weird frankly. Surely if the console is due to drop in 9 months they can't still be 'working on' something that is integral to the system? That to me seems ludicrous. Also, wasn't the case that the console was ready but software wasn't just a few months ago?

Also in general the concept of a "special idea" is quite daunting. When was the last time that Nintendo had an idea that actually worked? The WiiU second screen has been a failure, 3d underwhelming (and for me doesn't work and hurts my head), the wii's motion controls whilst a commercial success isn't necessarily viewed as a success in terms of gaming.

As others have said this silence can only work against them imo. They are going to inevitably either do one of two (or both) things: 1) reach a point where the hype for the console cannot be matched; 2) alienate consumers who fear that the console is going to have another intrusive and not very practical gimmick

dtjive

WebHead

@dtjive tbh think he meant that they just won't show it. Also another Nintendo financial thing is on July 27th. This week's thing is mainly for board member election.

WebHead

FragRed

What I'm really worried about was Miyamoto saying that they have this idea that's being worked on. How can they still be working on an idea for a console coming out in less than a year!? Also that says to me that there really is zero third party support.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

WebHead

Okay power theory time: what if the reason the power rumors conflict with each other is because Nintendo will cash in on that SCD patent?

Since they wouldn't want to split the userbase they would probably require devs to develop nx games in 1 or two modes: NX mode and NX+SCD mode. Say they sell a $250-300 xbone/PS4 level NX and a $100-150 external SCD. Make sense?

WebHead

DefHalan

@dtjive
1. They can still be fine tuning that soecial feature.
2. Wii's motion controls weren't a failure, lots of people in the industry were impressed by them, especially the Wii Motion Plus, it was the Wii Specs that industry people didn't like.
3. They haven't even started their NX hype, and all their recent talk about it has been mostly to bring down people's expectations to a more realistic level. I think Nintendo is getting things on the right track and will be able to impress with the NX

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

gcunit

@FragRed If they weren't working on it then it would be ready for release. 'Working on' can be interpreted in more than one way, no need to assume it means that they're still at the scribbles on the back of an envelope stage. Buy they are obviously 'working on' the launch, which is all part of the idea Miyamoto is referring to.

@DefHalan - your point 3 makes sense to me.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Octane

@WebHead So basically a day-one add-on? As long as it works and isn't as useless as the add-ons from the 90s.. That could explain the conflicting ''rumours'', we shall see..

Octane

WebHead

@Octane don't see why it wouldn't work. It'd basically be an external GPU using amd crossfire-like OS software.

WebHead

Octane

@WebHead I'm sure it will work on paper, but games should be running properly on both then. They would have to do it like Sony, make sure that the enhanced version runs better and give people a reason to buy the expansion, but they should also make sure that the games run well on the vanilla NX.

Octane

WebHead

@Octane which is what I was saying. NX mode and NX+SCD mode. Base NX would probably be xbone/ps4 level and NX+SCD would probably be Neo level.

WebHead

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic