Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 14,661 to 14,680 of 70,011

KirbyTheVampire

I wish they would just have the playing with friends functionality be tied to the system like every other platform out there.

KirbyTheVampire

TuVictus

@KirbyTheVampire Same. I mean it's almost like they went out of their way -not- to. But, still...baby steps i guess

TuVictus

IceClimbers

So Phil Spencer responded to Sony/Jim Ryan's attempt at defending the lack of cross play on PS4

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1392075

Thank you Phil.

Also Psyonix singled Sony out on it, saying it's literally a button press away, meaning no technical issues. They're hoping the PlayStation community makes an uproar about it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1391358

Good. Sony really needs to be pressured on this.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

StuTwo

MarcelRguez wrote:

@BLP_Software What the hell. 90% of the content has been localized already. What's Capcom's damage?

At a guess it's marketing damage.

You put out an inferior backwards looking game that makes a small splash out a few months before your real flagship and it creates confusion amongst those who aren't paying close attention.

It'd be a disaster for Capcom if all their prospective audience for World picked up nothing but negative vibes surrounding a XX that they would never buy or pay too much attention to (in large part because they don't own a Switch).

Think about the (actually misfounded) miasma of 'Mario fatigue' in 2012-13 and the damage that did to 3d World.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

skywake

@Frosty_09
I don't see what's so complicated about My Nintendo and VC that they're trying to work out. It's pretty simple what consumers actually want. We want our previous VC purchases on 3DS and Wii U to be recognised and for there to be a decent library of games. For My Nintendo we want something, anything really, that we can spend our coins on given the most dedicated fans have no interest in discounts on Wii U & 3DS at this stage.

If tomorrow they put up the Switch VC with a handful of games across NES, SNES and N64? I'd be happy. If the games I'd already paid for previously were heavily discounted or better yet "free"? I'd be super happy. If at the same time they had a My Nintendo reward where ~70 Gold coins could be redeemed for one of the VC releases on Switch? I'd be over the moon.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

OorWullie

Platinum points should be for select discounts,wallpapers,guides etc,just as they've been doing but with a much larger selection.Gold coins though should be an actual virtual currency that we can put towards any VC/E-shop games or even physical purchases.Say I've got 70 coins with a value of $7 and want to buy a game for $40,I can put my coins towards it and get the game for $33.Or instead if there's a SNES game I want at $7,my 70 coins will cover the cost of it..It's not as if we're getting the Gold coins for free in the first place,we earn them by spending real money.With this system it will encourage more spending on the E-shop which in turn will surely make Nintendo even more money.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

OorWullie

"Big Design Problem" Oh come one Eurogamer!

It's an issue that they even think it's an issue. World of Goo has already shown how to do it and that needs far more quick and precise actions than a slower paced Layton game.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Faruko

Pretty sure XX not being localized is more about the potential sales more than anything else.

Switch has been selling fantastic, BUT is still just starting, assuming a around 5m of switch sold by now (1m of them in Japan), is just way to low for a nice game like MH to be a full success.

Capcom always waited for a healthy base, MH4U sold like 4m of copies but thats counting with an install base of almost 68m.

Once Switch gets a healthy base, be sure we will see XX or a new MH on it.

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

erv

Is xx not being localised confirmed? I thought it was up in the air...

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

erv

ah, ok, that's a bummer. I'm not going to do the "guess what it says" importing. I'll be playing lots of rabbids, arms, splatoon, mario, xenoblade, zelda then.

Huge MH fan so hope we'll see a new monster hunter for us soon

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

WebHead

Spotlight was great. New Yoshi and Kirby look good. Metroid Prime 4 ought to be great when it comes out in November or December...of 2019.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

rjejr

@Vee_Flames Thanks for thinking of me. That was pretty funny.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

Grumblevolcano

Here we go again, Pokemon Stars for Switch is available to preorder on Amazon UK.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@Snaplocket Selling 1M isn't enough for the AAA's. They've learned from the big players that 5-10M is the number to shoot for. So they fall over themselves seeking the numbers COD, GTA, and Fifa get. If it's like last time, they cripple themselves in the process.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Snaplocket That's because Nintendo actually knows how to manage a budget like a serious company, while many other studios just defect spend Hollywood scale budgets as much as the artists demand it to make their ideal picture perfect high graphics and special effects effects worlds that rivals the silver screen under the promise that they'll be such a hit they'll sell through 20 m copies an hour!

Xenoblade X was, by the devs words, "Not AAA". As a player it certainly seemed it. But in terms of budget, apparently it wasn't. That game is VASTLY bigger than most "AAA" games so where does the money go on those? Several times MORE money spent on graphics work that is mostly useless to the gameplay. It makes it more marketable....which translates to more copies sold...but seemingly never enough to plug the budget expense.

Remember when Tomb Raider sold 2M at launch and Squeenix declared it a loss because they needed 5M to break even?

And that's why we get ambitious off the wall and niche projects from Nintendo and related studios, while we get endlessly samey rehashes of the same 6 game formats from most 3rd parties. N's budgets can sell low and still turn profits. Those guys usually can't. If it's doesn't become a blockbuster it loses money.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Snaplocket In technical terms, if you compare screenshots from the best PS4 games and the games on Switch, there is certainly a difference in pure graphics. Higher resolution textures, more lighting and shadow detail, surface reflections, shaders, light specularity on water, particle effects, etc. Those games apply a lot more fine detail in graphics, while Nintendo (expertly) uses visual tricks and art styles that look just as good to the eye without actually being as detailed.

The thing is, in motion, you notice almost none of it. You're focused on tiny areas of the screen focusing on objectives and tend not to notice the visual fidelity as the brain abstracts things to parse them faster. So the fancier graphics make trailers look better, and screen caps look better, and it looks better to spectators. But as a player, you don't really see it beause your mind is breaking it all down.

So, yes, objectively, those other games are visually superior. But the amount of money they spend on that, they can't hope to recover unless they become "THE" game. Nintendo opts ot make games that are just as visually appealing without having to spend fortunes on making it look like an actual photograph, and needs a much smaller audience to turn a profit.

That's where a lot of people don't seem to understand Nintendo being different in their sales and approach to other companies. Most people I think don't understand how different their budget and required sell throughs per title are.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Snaplocket I certainly agree! But sadly most of the consuming public is most impressed by how photo-realistic the box art is, so the art direction on those games are focused on that aspect.

But it's unsustainable. It'll crash. $60 can't pay for it unless it's blockbuster, and DLC and season passes are getting old. It's weeding out more and more games that don't make the cut. I still think a minor reset is in order and the independent studios (I hate the term indies for the larger ones, as that word evokes garage developers and not 50+ person corporate studios they really are) wil take their place again with mid-budget titles rather than chasing Hollywood.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic