Forums

Topic: The Switch Recommendations Thread

Posts 681 to 700 of 2,209

RR529

@Qwertyninty, as previously suggested, Okami HD is $20 and is really fantastic.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Qwertyninty

@RR529 yeah ended up getting mark of the ninja remastered. Pretty good so far.

Qwertyninty

Coach_A

@Qwertyninty so you asked for suggestions and then went and bought a game that nobody suggested but yourself?
Okay then

Coach_A

Qwertyninty

@Coach_A yeah this wasn’t my only source of research. Sorry that doesn’t sit well with you. Enjoying the game though.

Qwertyninty

BrainOfGrimlock

Thanks all for the feedback re Disgea 5 vs XC2. After reading through again, reading a few (more) reviews and numerous other threads it was coin toss territory for the longest time!

Happy to announce that i’ve taken the plunge though and XC2 + Torna are safely downloading as I write/you read - the few people on here championing XC2 & the expansion I think made the difference in the end so thank you. Unless I hate it. Then something else

Just got to finish RDR2 and stop playing Diablo (no easy feat) & then I can set about tackling this beast!

BrainOfGrimlock

Hallonblad

@BrainOfGrimlock Good choice, I think you'll enjoy it. ^-^ Do yourself a favour and play Torna after you've finished the main story. Or there won't be even a hint of mystery left to unravel.

Switch friend code: SW-1684-7611-8315
Backlog: https://backloggery.com/Hallon
#supercasualgamer

BrainOfGrimlock

@bluemage1989 @Hallonblad thanks both! Played a cheeky half hour and so far, so good but admittedly (very) early days! I grabbed Torna too given the glowing praise i’ve seen from others so all being well i’ll defin blast through it afterwards!

BrainOfGrimlock

Swordsman83

any more good turn based jrpg besides octopath ? (not referring to tactical/strategy jrpg)m

Currently Owned Switch Games: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Octopath Traveller.

toiletduck

@Swordsman83 I mentioned this in another thread where you raised this discussion too, but isn't Pokemon considered a (quality AAA) turn based jrpg as well?

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

BrainOfGrimlock

@Swordsman83 Cosmic Star Heroine is good, cheap and often overlooked? Undertale is cheap too and as i’m sure you’ve seen, almost universally loved?

Battlechasers: Nightware would be my pick otherwise; a little pricier but worth it by all accounts. Otherwise you have things like South Park/Earthlock/Lost Sphear/I am Setsuna etc.

Edit: Scratch the Battlechasers suggest - very next thread I read had you saying you’ve played it already

Edited on by BrainOfGrimlock

BrainOfGrimlock

Swordsman83

toiletduck wrote:

@Swordsman83 I mentioned this in another thread where you raised this discussion too, but isn't Pokemon considered a (quality AAA) turn based jrpg as well?

It is one too. does it support pro controller ? No pro controller is a deal breaker for me.

Edited on by Swordsman83

Currently Owned Switch Games: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Octopath Traveller.

bluemage1989

Battlechasers is certainly not a bad game. It has a nice battle system, the story might be pretty standard but it has some great humour and I do like how it plays cleverly on some jrpg tropes (your 'tank' character is actually your healer as an example) but I do feel Airship Syndicate are still finding there feet as a studio and that whatever comes next from the studio will massively improve on every aspect. Battlechasers would recieve a 7/10 from me but definitely a studio to watch going forward.

bluemage1989

Swordsman83

bluemage1989 wrote:

Battlechasers is certainly not a bad game. It has a nice battle system, the story might be pretty standard but it has some great humour and I do like how it plays cleverly on some jrpg tropes (your 'tank' character is actually your healer as an example) but I do feel Airship Syndicate are still finding there feet as a studio and that whatever comes next from the studio will massively improve on every aspect. Battlechasers would recieve a 7/10 from me but definitely a studio to watch going forward.

its not bad for the 1st playthrough though but towards the end somehow i lost interest. the super slow pace on the overworld map and can't avoid enemies in dungeon.

new game plus totally no interest at all.

Edited on by Swordsman83

bluemage1989

@Swordsman83 yeah I think most people would echo that comment. Like I said I think there next game will blow this out of the water.

bluemage1989

bluemage1989

Octopath Traveller, Valkyria Chronicles or Lost Sphear/I Am Setsuna bundle?? I'm ready for another JRPG.

bluemage1989

BrainOfGrimlock

@bluemage1989 hmm, tough choice... I’ll ignore Setsuna/Lost Sphear for now - they’re on my own ‘last resort Jrpg’ list in case I ever get to the point of having nothing else on switch to play (Ha!)

I love both Octopath & VC, but I know that people can bounce off both of them so i don’t want to give you a ‘dodgy’ steer.

Octopath is definitely the more traditional in terms of rpg and is one of the best games i’ve played this year... VC though is also awesome and has the advantage of being unlike anything else really (it’s like an amalgamation of some of my favourite systems/games), which could sound like a negative but absolutely isn’t (it becomes stupidly compelling)?

There’s a demo for Octopath and VC4 (there might be one for the first VC but I don’t remember seeing it?) which perhaps is the best way of finding out which one is best for you - i don’t think you can go wrong with either though as they’re both awesome games?

Ha, all that and i’m not sure I’ve helped at all - I can’t decide either!

(note that you get a discount on the first VC if you own 4, so buy them that way round if you plan to get both/sale prices permit)

BrainOfGrimlock

JaxonH

While I know this thread is likely going to see more niche games get spotlighted and/or games targeting personal preferences of those looking, the ever growing number of games means more and more are being ignored in the wake of something else. I'd like to share some of my personal faves I've amassed from the start of the generation when Switch launched, as someone who has bought and played (to various extents) practically every major game on the system thus far.

This is by no means a comprehensive list of games I recommend. This is only the tippity top of the very best- the games I can confidently recommend without a moment's hesitation to those interested in the game's respective genre (e.g. You like rhythm games- I can confidently recommend Drum n Fun e.g. You like strategy games- I can confidently recommend Civilization VI, etc). Price is not considered- games are not evaluated on MSRP. Neither is contention or divisiveness of any particular game- I judge fairly on how good a game is to me and nothing more.

Civilization VI

Pokemon Let's Go

Diablo 3

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate

Dark Souls

YS VIII

Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 4

Taiko no Tatsujin Drum 'n' Fun

Okami HD

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Torna Expansion

The World Ends With You

Octopath Traveler

Resident Evil Revelations 1 and 2

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

DOOM

Skyrim

Bayonetta 1 and 2

Ultra Street Fighter II

Dragonball Fighter Z

Splatoon 2

Super Mario Odyssey

Zelda Breath of the Wild

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Indies and lower priced digital exclusives I recommend the most without any hesitation are Valiant Hearts: The Great War, Child of Light, Hollow Knight, Steamworld Dig 2, Bastion, Transistor, Hyper Light Drifter, Undertale, Guacamelee, Banner Saga Trilogy, Dead Cells, Limbo, Inside, Into the Breach, Lumines Remastered, Slimesan, Flinthook, Mighty Gunvolt Burst, Nine Parchments, Shantae Half Genie Hero and Pirate's Curse, Celeste, Shovel Knight Treasure Trove, The End Is Nigh, Super Meat Boy and VVVVVV.

Disclaimer
There is no guarantee a person will like every single game I like, but I do feel all of these are extremely good games within their respective genres, and if a person doesn't like one of these games it will simply come down to their taste, not because the game isn't great. There are certain games I have purposely omitted from this list despite being great games. Notably absent are games like Wolfenstein 2, ARMS, Fire Emblem Warriors, Hyrule Warriors, Warframe, Mario Party, Starlink, Mario Rabbids, South Park Stick of Truth and Fractured But Whole, Shining Resonance, Rocket League, Rayman Legends, Mega Man 11, LA Noire, Kirby, Dragon Quest Builders, Captain Toad, Sonic Mania, Art of Balance, World of Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy XV Pocket HD, Victor Vran, Battle Chasers Nightwar, Axiom Verge, Steamworld Dig 1 and Heist, Disgaea 1 and 5, Runner 3, Severed and Stardew Valley. All of these games, while I personally think are great and worthy games, simply do not fall in that top tier bracket of the very best of the best, for various reasons. I still feel like all of these games are strong recommendations but I feel like those recommendations have to be a bit more targeted.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic