Forums

Topic: The Switch Recommendations Thread

Posts 441 to 460 of 2,206

bluemage1989

What is everyone's opinion on the SteamWorld franchise?? I have played SteamWorld Dig on Switch and its fine but I don't really get the why everyone is crazy for it. Is the sequel a big improvement?? And what about the rest of the franchise??

bluemage1989

jump

bluemage1989 wrote:

What is everyone's opinion on the SteamWorld franchise?? I have played SteamWorld Dig on Switch and its fine but I don't really get the why everyone is crazy for it. Is the sequel a big improvement?? And what about the rest of the franchise??

If you've played the first one and weren't impressed then there's no point for you to get the second as it's more of the same.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

bluemage1989

@jump had a feeling that would be the case I did quite like the setting though do you think Heist is worth a go?? I know a different genre and all that but curious to hear what you all think of them

bluemage1989

Krull

@bluemage1989 My first SteamWorld game was Heist, and it's a very different experience to Dig and Dig 2. It's a side-on squad-based strategy RPG, with manual aiming - like a cross between Xcom and Worms. It's easy to get the hang of, but with four or five difficulty levels - which can be adjusted at any time in the game - you can make it as challenging for yourself as you like. It's great. I love Dig 2, but Heist is probably the better game.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

darkfenrir

Anyone have any switch dock case recommendations? Just something that I can cannibalize the original version from, since it's really too big.

(Hopefully on amazon + have a youtube video or something showing how to cannibalize the old one and moving it to the new one... I worry about my ability to do it correctly)

darkfenrir

RetroGamerAndrew

Just to report that Chicken Wiggle Workshop has reached the first funding goal on Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2029149553/chicken-wiggl...

and second stretch is a few hundreds $ away... worth dropping in a few bucks if you liked the original 3DS game and/or fancy a good platformer with level designer

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

Nanaki

So I am exceptionally rusty and out of the loop... I'm looking for some advice for what to get with the Switch in a £70-100 budget

Let's take Zelda, Mario, Rabbids battle and Mario Kart out of the mix. I'd like to know thoughts on the following set of games:

Darkest Dungeon — it looks intriguing & I have it on pre order for next week (can cancel)

I am Setsuna — the friend I'm getting this for loves JRPGs. Chrono Trigger, Star Ocean are some of his faves. This seems in the same vein

He also likes 2d side scrollers, which seem a dime a dozen.

I'm also considering Yooka Laylee unless there is another 3D platformer that beats it

If it helps, his all time top 5 are:
Ocarina of Time
Dragon quest VIII
Witcher III
MGS twin snakes
Bioshock

Nanaki

Scrummer

@Nanaki Iitle Dew 2+ is, at least from what I've heard, very similar to the original Zelda games, but might be closer to Link to the Past and the first Legend of Zelda than Ocarina of Time. If he likes 2D side scrollers, I would definitely suggest Shovel Knight.

Scrummer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7938-1793-3581 | My Nintendo: Scrummer

dossb25

I was just curious if anyone knows if Nintendo is going to fix the issue of not being able to sign into multiple accounts at the same time. For example Mario Kart 8 having you and a buddy signed into their own accounts and unlocking karts, tires, gliders.

dossb25

Dogorilla

@dossb25 I'm pretty sure Nintendo hasn't said anything about adding that feature to their own games. However Rocket League does have that option so it's definitely possible for Switch games to do it, so hopefully Nintendo might add it to some of their future games.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

dossb25

Gotcha, Thank you! yeah I think it would be nice to have your own stats, gear, karts, etc.. linked to your specific account while sitting next to a buddy playing the same game doing the same thing.

dossb25

RetroGamerAndrew

@Nanaki

As fella @Scrummer suggested you can't go wrong with Ittle Dew+, and Shovel Knight is a GEM.
I'd suggest myghty Gunvolt Burst and Azure Striker Gunvolt wich are also great 2D games reminiscent of Mega Man. If you fancy something more hardcore then Celeste, a though as nails platformer, is the game for you.

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

Nanaki

Thank you @Scrummer and @RetroGamerAndrew

I'll definitely check out Little Dew

Have seen so much about Shovel Knight but never played it — reckon that will go on the list too.

Only trouble I have is the list is expanding and not getting shorter 😂

Nanaki

zool

Skyrim or Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze on the Switch?

I know, the two games that are world's apart but Skyrim is long game according to the reviews and that will mean giving DK a miss.
Anyone played both, which is best?

zool

Snadertjuh

Right now I have (gold points included), 7 Euro to spend on the Eshop. Because I am travelling I don't want to upgrade it now and I want to wait to spend money in the Eshop because I want to wait for the information about the online program (including VC). So, these 7 Euro I would like to spend on a game. What do you recommend?
I like games like Zelda (all of them), Mario (2D and 3D) and I enjoy Stardew Valley a lot.
I could buy Super Mario bros VS, are there a lot of differences with the original SMB (which I played a lot when I was young)?

Or do you have other recommendations where I could spend my 7 euro on.
Many thanks!

From Holland, SW-8284-9406-5119

sashah

Hi everyone! I'm a student at the University of Florida and I'm conducting a survey directed at Nintendo Switch owners for my research class. It's a short survey about your feelings towards the console and should take no more than 5-10 minutes. So if you own a Switch and wouldn't mind answering a few questions it would really help me out!! Here is the link! Thank you!
https://ufl.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6nwyY7DQKdcnrlX

sashah

Krull

@Snadertjuh I will probably get banned from the Nintendo Life forums for saying this, but I think there are many better 2D platformers on the Switch eShop than VS Super Mario Bros. If you want something equally old school, but far, far prettier, Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap fits the bill.

Otherwise, there are the two Shantae games (I'm having a ball with Half-Genie Hero); the two marvellous SteamWorld Digs; Axiom Verge; Shovel Knight Treasure Trove; Blaster Master Zero; the solid Mega Man-like Mighty Gunvolt Burst - and many more. VVVVV, Super Meat Boy, Rayman... I could go on.

For 2D Zelda-likes, Blossom Tales and Ittle Dew 2 look the best bets, but I haven't actually got either (yet).

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

WestTexan

Hi,i'll be getting a switch this year and my budget will only allow me to get the switch and 1 game.Im into open world games.I cant seem to choose which game though.Im stuck between skyrim and zelda botw.I'd like to know the following :
1.Which game will last me longer
2.Which game you prefer
3.Which game's storyline is better
4.Which game has the bigger map
5.Is there a better game you recommend
6. Which game is more difficult
7.I've heard that Zelda's map is empty and boring,just lies or is it the truth?
Thanks!

Edited on by WestTexan

WestTexan

LuckyLand

I prefer Skyrim.
In my opinion Zelda is more empty and boring as a game. It's not the map that is more empty and boring, it is the fact that everything in BOTW is shallow, unremarkable, repetitive and boring. It is absolutely not as immersive as Skyrim is. Most of the shrines are fun, but when you beat one of them you just forget about it immediately and don't feel like it was part of something bigger, it feels completely irrelevant to the game's world. Just to give you an example of what I mean.

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

LuckyLand

@Snadertjuh I am playing Gate of doom right now and imho it is very entertaining and satisfying if you like retrogames, I am really liking it a lot.

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic