Forums

Topic: The Switch Recommendations Thread

Posts 1,761 to 1,780 of 2,210

MrDinosaur

Any recommendations for Switch JRPG?
I've got weird relationship with JRPGs - I've played only 3 so far:

• FFVII - I really enjoyed this game in the beginning, especially Midgar part. I liked the setting and story but that was about it. I didn't feel the ATB, I totally misunderstood materia system for the most part and I hated the number of random encounters in the game which actually made explore less => less items and materia => harder experience. When I got to the overworld I just hated the game (3 random encounters every ten meters travelled) and by the time I got to Demons gate (fck Demons gate, that was just horribly designed boss imho) and Aerith died I was so frustrated I didn't even care anymore and quit the game. I was thinking about playing it 3x speed with no encounters and god mode but that just seemed like a waste of time so I ended up watching recap of the story on YT (and it's still kinda cool).
  • Yakuza: LaD - I absolutely loved this game. I've played only Kiwami and Zero and wouldn't consider myself Yakuza fan but this game just soo much clicked with me I nearly 100% it. I loved the silliness, the characters, the settings, even the convoluted story. While I loved the brawler-style Yakuza, I didn't mind turn-based battles but I felt like the whole job/class system just didn't really work that well. This game was one of my biggest surprises of 2020.
  • DQXI: I finished the game but I think mostly for the sake of finishing the game. I think I'm not fan of high-fantasy settings overall and this game just felt too childish and templatey with it's characters and story. Nearly 2 years after beating it I couldn't actually tell you what it was about, it was just unmemorable experience both gameplay and story-wise. It was like a fairy-tale but I found Zelda: Skyward Sword doing much better job in this department.

Any suggestions for me or am I just lost cause in the JRPG world?

<3

Switch Friend Code: SW-0008-9626-6899

Anti-Matter

@MrDinosaur
Miitopia.
Don't underestimate their cute Mii looking.
It has some storyline quality.

Anti-Matter

MrDinosaur

@Anti-Matter I don't mind the cuteness. It has demo available so no reason not to give it a try. Thanks!

@CactusMan NEO looks interesting and has a demo as well so I'll try that. I saw SMT V on Nintendo Treehouse and am not really sure what to make of it but it doesn't look very interesting to me. Persona 5 also comes to mind when talking about SMT but that's not on Switch and I don't wanna be limited by playing only at home especially in a game which is over 100 hours. I'll check the others as well. Thanks!

<3

Switch Friend Code: SW-0008-9626-6899

SKTTR

@MrDinosaur Xenoblade. Any part you can get is worth it. This series doesn't have any of the issues that you disliked in FFVII and DQXIS.

FFVII is really bad-aged with many of its elements. Wasn't as future proof as Ocarina of Time, or to be more fair, even compared with other RPGs that came out at the time (Suikoden, Paper Mario) or earlier (SNES era). But it did things no other RPG tried before, and it did them amazingly well at the time. Well enough to get into gaming history. I too played the Switch version, but early on I switched to 3x speed and later disabled random battles. Great features to enhance the experience. I never was a fan of invisible enemy encounters, even back in the day I prefered the style of Chrono Trigger, EarthBound, Super Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, and Terranigma in where I could see enemies and approach or avoid them.
But what you get with FF7 is the classic FF formula with some added Materia (it's just simple slot items for your gear) and other fluff.

Also, try Undertale.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Artonide

A hat in time is 50% off on eshop europe 😊

SW-4796-1687-6967
Play mostly everything. 😊

Maximumbeans

@MrDinosaur Persona is a spinoff of the SMT series so that'll be what's giving you those vibes.

SMT is a 'monster collector' sort of JRPG but it's a lot more complex, challenging, and intense than Pokemon. It's a lot more mature as well. I've personally grown to love the series because the games are lengthy and the mechanics are usually deep enough that it really pulls you in. You're always having to fuse and upgrade your demons, and getting them to join you can be tricky as you have to talk to them and persuade them to join you. Your character usually has a lot of breadth to be built in different ways and the games never hold your hand.

We'll see what SMT V ends up looking like but if it's building upon the last few entries to the series, it should be excellent.

Hang on to your youthful enthusiasms - you'll be able to use them better when you're older.

3DS Friend Code: 0490-8421-1170

Caperfin

DennisNOR wrote:

A hat in time is 50% off on eshop europe 😊

Should I get it, do you recommend it?

Playing the new Warcraft game as a Shaman Tank.
[url=https://www.bbcode.org/images/lubeck.jpg][/url]

Artonide

If u like banjo kazooie type games, its a must 😊 colorfull whacky adventure 😊@Caperfin

SW-4796-1687-6967
Play mostly everything. 😊

ophone

@Caperfin
It's a nice game with a lot of humour, but it has some serious issues. The camera can be a PITA making some rather simple platforming phases hard, sometimes the game freezes and loading times are way above average for the Switch.

Since January 2021 owner of my first real Nintendo "home" console.

Screen

I’m looking for a good management sim game, and both Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 and Jurassic world Evolution are on sale.

I know the sequel to Evolutoin is right around the corner, but it doesn’t look like it’s coming to Switch anytime soon.

Which is “better”?

BDSP has online matchmaking!

ophone

Is #Drive worth a buy?
It's currently up to pre-order on LRG.
Its car park seems to consist mainly of small European rides from the 70s and the 80s, basically the cars I grew up with.

I'd like to plough the streets with a Peugeot 205 or such, does the game play well?

Since January 2021 owner of my first real Nintendo "home" console.

aresius

Crysis 2 and 3(played the first and never finished the second) or disco elysium(never played) ?

aresius

GuerrillaPicnic

Hi all, it's that time of year and i need to be thinking about what to get my 6 year old daughter for Christmas. Any recommendations? she likes Animal crossing (but only buying clothes) I was thinking about a pet game for her.

GuerrillaPicnic

Solaine

@GuerrillaPicnic There is

• Little Friends: Dogs&Cats for switch which is a bit like Nintendogs. I heard there is quite a bit to read though so maybe she wouldn't play that alone.
  • Then there are those My Universe games with various entries, i think there was one with having your own animal clinic, recreating your house and so on, also a bit of reading included as far as i know. There was even a fashion boutique game which might be her thing, considering she only bought clothes in Animal Crossing
  • There is of course New Pokemon Snap, which i have not played, but just making pictures of Pokemon is at least really easy to learn and if she likes it, she might be invested.
  • Just Dance is also a pretty solid choice and it has got its own kid mode which makes it easy to use, there is also the bonus of movement while playing.
    Other than that, i can think of mario kart, pokemon maybe, scribblenauts for more of a creative approach and i have heard some good things about the game Paw Patrol since you don't have to read to play it.
    Hope that helps a little

"on a scale of 1 to 10, she's an 11, and she'd give herself a 12" ~The Burst, Furi

FX102A

Seeking advice on 2 possible purchases:

1) River City Melee Mach!

I’m not really a fighting game fan and primarily a singleplayer gamer; although have been interested in expanding my local multiplayer offerings that are quick to learn. Wanted to some insight before deciding whether to purchase or not.

2) Kamen Rider: Heroes of Memoryz

Never dived into the source material but kind of interested. However am also unsure between the PS4 or NSW version; does the NSW release suffer from any major drawbacks compared to the PS4?

Edited on by FX102A

FX102A

WoomyNNYes

@Renon Splatoon 2 great. It's one of the most played games on my Switch. The next game, Splatoon 3, might release in the summer around July because, Splatoon 2 released in July 2017. So, it might be 8 months until Splatoon 3 comes out. I personally couldn't imagine missing out on Splatoon 2.

These are all amazing<3
Mario Odyssey (this is my favorite 3D mario game)
Mario Kart 8 (favorite Mario Kart)
Splatoon 2 (this is my first Splatoon game. I loved it.)
Zelda: Breath of the Wild (favorite Zelda)

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Anti-Matter

@Renon
Try these games also.

1. ARMS
2. Go Vacation
3. Moving Out
4. Key We
5. Yonder the Cloud Catcher Chronicles
6. Chocobo Dungeon Every Buddy
7. The Smurfs Mission Vileaf
8. Story of Seasons Friends of Mineral Town
9. Yokai Watch Jam (Japan only)
10. Megaman 11

Anti-Matter

MarioVillager92

@Renon Here are my recommendations, no particular order:

Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Luigi's Mansion 3

If you're into RPGs, I like these from what I've played, at least:

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Fire Emblem: Three Houses (though that's a tactical game as well)

Also, if you're enjoying Animal Crossing: New Horizons, there's the DLC that's called Happy Home Paradise where you can design vacation homes. You just need to make a certain amount of progress in order to access it. The base game got quite the huge update recently, too.

As for Splatoon, yeah Splatoon 3 is coming out next year. I played a decent amount of Splatoon 2, I'm positive that there's still plenty of players online. Perhaps you could get Splatoon 2 now, and if you really like what you've played, you could look forward to its sequel.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Pizzamorg

Are there any other games on the Switch with combat like Three Houses, but maybe without all the school stuff and other things? I know XCOM is on the Switch, but I heard it has pretty poor performance. Otherwise, I don’t know of any other tactical, squad based, turn based games like this but I really enjoy that aspect of Three Houses and loved the modern XCOM games on PC.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic