Forums

Topic: The Switch Recommendations Thread

Posts 1,201 to 1,220 of 2,209

Loonatic

I'm bored, is Pokemon fun for newcomers? It wasn't around when I was growing up so I know nothing of it. I saw a video of like a turn based fight between two Pokemon. I kind of want to try it. Should I get Sword or Shield first?

Loonatic

Loonatic

Ok so I just bought the Pokemon Sword and Shield Double Pack. I've been looking at videos for hours and I'm just going to dive in and see what happens.

Loonatic

Anti-Matter

Loonatic wrote:

Ok so I just bought the Pokemon Sword and Shield Double Pack. I've been looking at videos for hours and I'm just going to dive in and see what happens.

Here is the walkthrough video without commentary.

Anti-Matter

BinaryMessiah

@Loonatic I grew up on Pokemon up until Gen 3 came out and by then I was in junior high and lost interest. It's fine for newcomers, but you have to 1. Like JRPGs and their tropes 2. Somehow like the monster designs or you won't care about collecting them. Pokemon Shield was the first Pokemon game I ever finished, but it almost felt like a chore, but my wife has beaten every single game that's ever been released and she loves the series and never lost interest.

Part of why I lost interest is my parents couldn't afford to buy me a GameBoy so I only played Pokemon Stadium on N64 and that fed into Gen 1 so I loved it. I didn't have a chance to stay caught up in the games and my parents could only buy cards every so often.

BinaryMessiah

Nintendo Network ID: ivory_soul | Twitter:

Loonatic

I do like the idea of collecting them and leveling up even if it's a bit of a chore. I have been sucked into games that involve heavy grinding so no stranger to that. I'm kind of excited, I think they will arrive on Saturday. Now I just have to choose if I should play Sword or Shield first.

Loonatic

NatiaAdamo

While Burgertime Party! is not the best game, it's still worth it on sale for $20 or so. While the main course is lacking, acting more as a puzzler than an arcade version, the mode where you play purely like the original (including the levels) is the one you will get hooked on, with online leader boards.

NatiaAdamo

WiiWareWave

Hey guys! I've FINALLY made the Switch and got a Switch Lite for $147.96 at Walmart! Any suggestions for Switch exclusive games? No Wii U ports pls as I already have most of those already on my Wii U. I am eyeing Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition though!

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

Switch Friend Code: SW-6328-7327-5891 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

jaybee34

Someone talk me out of Slay the Spire while I still have like 10 games in my backlog

jaybee34

klingki

@jaybee34 Wish I could, haha! The game did not look appealing to me, but I picked it up based on the recommendations of others and ended up loving it.

Best I could do is maybe tell you to wait for a sale?

klingki

NintendoWiiDS

@TowaHeschel I’d personally recommend Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. It’s the pinnacle of the series in both gameplay and content and there is a gargantuan value to your purchase. Super Mario Odyssey is a magnificent return to the 3D sandbox style adopted by Mario 64 and Sunshine and it’s a delightful and extremely charming romp from start to finish with some of the most fluid and satisfying controls I’ve ever experienced. If you enjoyed Splatoon on Wii U then Splatoon 2 should be recommended and they’ve updated the game with a vast quantity of content, so there will be a lot to enjoy once you begin. And Salmon Run is an incredibly addictive horde mode that I’ve logged many an hour on.

Luigi’s Mansion 3 is a gorgeous and joyous sequel with a bevy of additional mechanics that enhance and develop the experience in meaningful ways. Fire Emblem: Three Houses is a phenomenal SRPG if you enjoy the genre, with lots of memorable characters and a clever interplay between teaching at a monastery and battling alongside your students. Breath of the Wild goes without saying as a complete redefinition of the open world genre, but you may have played it on Wii U already. Super Mario Maker 2 added so much game-changing content that opened the floodgates for all sorts of level creation possibilities and with a story mode packed with Nintendo created levels for inspiration and millions online, SMM2 is fantastic. I also love seeing the 3D World style in a 2D environment and how all of the components function.

But the Switch has so many great exclusives, I could keep going. Astral Chain is one of my favourite Switch games. It’s developed by Platinum Games and you work for a police force and have to investigate (like a detective) and halt an invasion of alternate dimensional creatures called chimera by controlling one with a special chain and engaging in synergetic combat. There are many abilities to unlock, a comprehensive skill tree, a hub world to explore. I’ve never experienced an action game quite like this one: using the chain to immobilise foes and launch at them, sending your partner floating over a chasm to a platform and make them pull the chain to jump across, it is a gorgeous and immensely fun action title. Other recommendations include Tetris 99, Yoshi’s Crafted World, Xenoblade 2, Animal Crossing New Horizons (A mind blowing and definitive Animal Crossing experience), Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Link’s Awakening, Super Mario Party, Mario Tennis Aces, Kirby Star Allies, ARMS, Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle and Fire Emblem Warriors. Even Ring Fit Adventure is a fantastic time and a legitimate workout (if you can acquire it that is!)

NintendoWiiDS

SpringLand

Okay, so I've been itching to play Doom (2016) on Switch. Never played it before. Is it worth buying at full price (£49.99) or should I wait for a discount?
I've really enjoyed other FPS games on Switch like Wolfenstein 2 and Metro 2033.

SpringLand

Shadeon_Koopa

@jaybee34 I'd be no help, that's my most played Switch game with over 450 hours invested already...

I'm sitting on the fence a bit whether I should get One Step From Eden at some point. I massively love Slay the Spire, and I've read this one plays similar? Does it run well, and how's the improved difficulty in comparison to what it was originally?

Playing: Picross S+ (Switch), Balatro (Steam)
Next: Logiart Grimoire (1.0 release, Steam; I backed this on Kickstarter!)

My Nintendo: *Lola* | Nintendo Network ID: Shadeon_Koopa

Athena

I've been craving to play my old Command & Conquer games (Yuri's Revenge anyone?) but can't because of covid-19. Are there any good Switch games that can scratch that itch for me?

Athena

BinaryMessiah

@SpringLand It's not the best version out there of the game, but it's a full Doom experience. You're going to get at least two dozen hours out of the game if you collect everything. Doom rarely drops below $45.

BinaryMessiah

Nintendo Network ID: ivory_soul | Twitter:

golephish

now I'm trying to decide to feed the southpark need and get both games on sale, or x-2 and dragon quest. I want a long grind that I can play between calls that will not require sound ....

NEW 3DS XL FC: 5172-0274-7263

Twitter:

golephish

@NintendoWiiDS there must be something wrong with me. I have smash ultimate and most unlocked but still don't get it. I can only play with Kirby, and I never had a game cube. It is sitting there eating up 15 GB of space. I know, I need to learn to play it , but I've played more golf story than I have smash.

NEW 3DS XL FC: 5172-0274-7263

Twitter:

SpringLand

@ivory_soul Thanks for the advice. I might hold off and see how Bioshock reviews on Switch.

SpringLand

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic