Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 14,781 to 14,800 of 15,201

gcunit

Untitled

Plus, nearly every enemy you fight will drop a weapon, either during the fight or after they're defeated. Unless it's one of the top tier enemies (designed to test the player) then you often end up with more weapons than when you started. Depending on technique and tactics. Scoring it 7/10 just because of weapon durability comes off as a bit butthurt.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

WoomyNNYes

@Oswinner Three ways to counter weapon durablity:

1. Maximize your bombs at Hateno Lab (See the girl in the lab)
With maxxed bombs you almost don't need weapons.

2. Sneak into the castle (Plenty of good weapons/bows to take from enemies, or find.)
I'm guessing you haven't snuck into the castle? The castle is a great resource more powerful weapons. There's a whole area in there to explore, AND IT'S AWESOME! lol. Going into the castle does not trigger ganon boss fight. Its a big area, and you have to find the room. And YOU'LL KNOW which room it is when you see it. Even if you trigger the battle, you can open the last save point if you want to back up. (The very powerful dark gray royal weapons do have crap durability, but the golden royal bow and swords are decent)(**NOTE: if you haven't been in the castle, you don't have the Master Shield)

3. Farm arrows
If you don't know how to farm arrows, you can look it up. How I farm arrows: Austin John Plays' youtube is where I learned. I use the first method most people discovered early on. I recommend his second arrow video dated April 14, 2017 "Infinite Arrows Farming Glitch Patch 1.1.2". There are other ways, but this is how I prefer to do it

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Oswinner

@gcunit 7/10 is still a good score. It’s the best 3D Zelda game world (it’s superb) but the worst 3D Zelda game. Trust me, I want to enjoy the game, I love Zelda. But I’m unsure I’ll even finish this one. Never got that feeling with Zelda games before. The combat is so bad that I don’t want to fight enemies for fear of broken weapons. Fair play to all who like the game but changing weapons mid-fight because they are made of glass or pressing pause to feed yourself is pretty poor combat in my book.

Trust me, I’d love to love the game. But after 30+ Hours I just cannot.

Oswinner

Oswinner

@WoomyNNYes not yet. I can’t build my armoury up enough. It keeps breaking. Lol.

I’ll give it a go next playthrough. I really want to like the game.

Oswinner

WoomyNNYes

@Oswinner There MIGHT be a hill/mountain you can hang glide from. Wink, wink. I ended up going to the castle often, when my weapons supplies were low or weak. I think I first entered the castle around 15-20 hours? By that point, I noticed if you find a group of bokoblins on horseback, they shoot arrows that often miss, land in the ground, which are prime for picking up.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

FroZtedFlake

I went in pretty quickly and boy did it pay off, the royal gear is so nice to have, also @Oswinner once you get better at the game you don't eat mid fight, unless you want to of course, but I like the feeling of beating hard enemies without healing

Games I'm playing right now:
Tears of the Kingdom - Switch

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4
Ace Attorney Trilogy - Switch

_Dan

4 long years ago this game finally came out... I actually had a countdown set on my phone after the magical day in January when they announced the release date with that mind blowing trailer. What a time to be a Zelda fan.

_Dan

Oswinner

@TheLightSpirit imagine how much better it’d be if weapons had just 2x the durability. I understand crap weapons breaking quickly but not good weapons.

Oswinner

Oswinner

@TheLightSpirit yeah don’t think I’ll be getting the DLC. Game has pissed me off too much to spend more money on it. I’m actually more interested in the old games being remade in HD rather than BotW2 at this point.

Also, just found out I’m not the only one. Text my bro earlier and he’s also got it on PC so he can play an edit of the game. He’s turned off stamina and weapon degradation. Think stamina is implemented ok personally but each to their own. I also think weapon degradation could be ok, if implemented better.

Oswinner

rallydefault

@gcunit
Ugh. Can we please stop lobbing the word "butthurt" on the internet whenever somebody says something we disagree with.

@Oswinner
Yea, it's not my cup of tea compared to other Zeldas, either. I'm still excited for BotW2, but I'm low-key more excited for the Skyward Sword remake. And if they surprise announce any kind of port collection later this year I'll probably be more stoked for that, as well.

I will say this: If you haven't played Age of Calamity, that game was pretty fun and got me kind of into the BotW mindset again. Almost enough to start another playthrough....... but I know I'll just do another run of Link's Awakening instead lol

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

jedgamesguy

@TheLightSpirit @Oswinner @rallydefault

Having read this debate, and having considered the matter, I still believe that in Breath of the Wild, weapon durability enhances the experience. Age of Calamity removes weapon durability, and reminded me why Nintendo implemented that design choice to begin with. In some playthroughs I'd find a good weapon (eg. Iron Sledgehammer or Traveller's Claymore in the Great Plateau shrines) early on and save it until I needed it against a powerful enemy. Before I know it, I'll reach a point where every weapon in my inventory is a Traveller's Claymore, or around that level of power.

Breath of the Wild isn't a textbook RPG but you can liken the weapon power to levels. If the weapons don't break you'll always feel incentivised to use the most powerful weapon in your inventory. Age of Calamity has this problem, and though it makes the game better for me, because how how much attacking you do, in this it makes sense.

Of course, there's one way to combat this, and Nintendo did a decent job of implementing weapon durability on the Master Sword. In the base game before any DLC, it'll take ten minutes to recharge if it breaks. Naturally you'd lean towards that weapon in combat (I do) because it doesn't break permanently...

If you remove weapon durability it removes any sense of urgency in battle. If you break all your weapons you'll either have to a) use a Champion's Ability, b) use bombs, or steal a weapon from the enemy, or c) run away. If Granted, against health sponges like Silver Lynels, it's surprising how little effect weapon durability has on the fight; if you break a weapon, you'll just switch to a new one. It adds a new element to combat, because thinking on your toes is a skill that'll be tested every now and then.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

Oswinner

@TheJGG I don’t mind the idea of weapon durability. The weapons should last longer though. As it is, the game is not fun, to me that is. Glad you enjoyed it.

Oswinner

rallydefault

@TheJGG
Age of Calamity is not even the same genre, though. I don't know how you can compare the weapon durability between that game and BotW. The weapons in Age of Calamity work on a totally different system of fusing and seals and such. That negates any kind of direct comparison.

Durability in BotW I'm actually fine with. It really didn't bother me, especially once I'm out of the early parts of the game. Weapons are plentiful and it's fairly easy to keep stocked on elemental weapons and whatever may be best in certain situations.

My beefs with BotW are that the world is like 33% bigger than it needed to be, the "dungeons" were ok but nothing on the level of previous games, the lack of cool utility/puzzle-solving inventory tools like the hookshot, and the music/vibe/story was just a bit too subtle for my taste. It's still a great game, and to a large extent the world is there for you to create your own memories.

rallydefault

dionysos283

After completing the game more than 2 years ago I today started a new save file to give this game a second go and a was immediately blown away by it! This game is so freaking amazing. The graphics still look great and the game design is absolutely stunning. After only 5min of playing I found a secret on the Great Plateau that I missed the first time around. I did not expect to enjoy this game so much on a second play through. It truly is a master piece of the first rank.

What were your experiences when playing this game a second time? Did you enjoy it as much as the first time? Or maybe even more?

dionysos283

rallydefault

@dionysos283
I only made it a few hours into a second play, right before Zora's Domain and that Divine Beast. It was really fun at first and kind of brought back that initial feeling, but then I started doing the shrines again and everything just started to take on that huge and overwhelming feeling, and it wasn't as surprising or "oh wow!" as the first time because I knew where a lot of things were.

But maybe I made the mistake in setting it to Hero Mode or whatever they call it. It's definitely tough early on before you start building your arsenal and hearts.

I'm gonna try again soon, but I'm gonna keep it on normal mode this time.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

dionysos283

@rallydefault
I found that after 2 years I forgot enough that it's fun again to explore. I also forgot most of the challenges inside the shrines so that it's fun to find the solutions. The only difference so far is that I don't enjoy finding Koroks anymore. I see them everywhere now and it's a bit of a chore to do the same tasks over and over again.

dionysos283

jedgamesguy

@dionysos283 @rallydefault Master Mode almost left a false impression on me. It was initially absolutely ruthless but after you leave the Great Plateau avoiding enemies becomes so much easier. Plus the basic enemies like Chuchus and Keese don't rank up along with the other enemies and because of how they appear often it's silly.

The Sky Octorok platforms are broken. They almost break the game because of how you can get such overpowered weaponry immediately after leaving the Plateau. I finished it, glided to the first platform I found and I ended up getting a Mighty Lynel bow, when I hadn't so much as even touched a bow prior.

I imagine the bosses aren't easy because of their regenerating health but otherwise I found it only a little harder than the original game. The difficulty curve was very well designed in the original that breaking it would have damaged the game's immersion.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic