Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 12,061 to 12,080 of 15,210

FGPackers

@SKTTR Yeah i agree on that. Even if they said multiple times that you can take any path you want, obviously there are zones that are more approachable at the start. It can't really be different

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

Maxz

Continuing the derailment into patch names, aren't such numerical naming systems often so un-mathematically grounded that it's charitable to even call them 'systems' at all?

My impression was that the numbers either side of the point didn't necessarily have any sort of decimal, binary, hexadecimal, or relationship of any other base between them. The number on the left side of the point is increased if the developer deems the update substantial enough, and the right side increased if not, both usually following independant decimal systems (i.e no amount of small updates necessarily translates into a big one). So it's more of a 'period' than an actual decimal (or hexadecimal etc.) point.

Sometimes it even just comes down to branding. Apple Mac operating systems were happy enough to bounce from OS 4 to OS 5 to 6 to 7 to 8 etc., but when then hit 10, it was decided that "OSX" was the coolest thing it in the world and would be the branding of the operating systems, and everything would be named after cats for some reason. So then things moved along as OS 10.0 (Cheetah), 10.1 (Puma), 10.2 (Jaguar), etc. This was all consistent with the decimal system, until we hit OS 10.10 (Yosemite), which was clearly distinct from 10.1 (Puma) that had preceded it several years before. This was then followed with 10.11 (El Capitan) making it clear that Apple didn't give a flying fart about any decimal consistency.

To avoid ambiguity, and acknowledge the non decimality of the system, pronouncing 10.10 (Yosemite) as "ten point ten" rather than "ten point one zero" makes a lot of sense. "Ten point one zero" and "ten point one one" make them both sound like versions of 10.1 (Puma), rather than being nine and ten interactions further down the line.

I mean, this is probably why they names them after cats and landmarks to begin with; to avoid awkward questions about numbers.

Anyway, I think I'm with the DF on this. True, they're not reading them in accordance with how decimals should be read. But it's not really a 'decimal' point, so this is probably a good thing. Patch notes aren't temperatures, so they needn't be treated as such.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Spennymoor

I went clockwise from Hateno, skipping the lake tower. Went back at the end for Hyrule Field and lake. So I did Gerudo first and didn't find it too daunting.

Spennymoor

Eric258

@Tsurii I also went to the Gerudo first. The divine beast was at first overwhelming and certainly challenging, however I had an absolute blast doing it. The desert is also probably my favourite area, due to the awesome town (seriously it had tons of stuff to do and people to talk to) and the area having coolest missions and enemies. It was definitely a highlight of my playthrough.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2601-9990-4610
Super Mario Run Friend Code: 1391-4403-4742
Fire Emblem Heroes Friend Code: 1332698932
Twitter: @Eric258kip

OorWullie

Of the 2 Divine Beast I've done so far,Zora's Domain's was my my first with Gerudo 2nd.I'm in the vicinity of the Rito beast so that'll be by my next one.I'm going to take my time before I go to it though.I haven't even been near Hyrule Castle yet.I thought my curiosity would take me there but I've managed to resist and save it for last.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

GoronBrudda

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

GoronBrudda wrote:

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

@Jumpman I don't know if it's worth buying a Switch just for this game, but if there are other games you're planning on buying as well as Zelda, absolutely go for it. Absolutely awesome piece of hardware, and if the software interests you, you'll have a really good time with it. Without a doubt my favorite system ever. Just make sure you get a screen protector. Preferably tempered glass, if you're willing to spend a bit of extra money. Not only are they far less prone to bubbles if you clean your screen before putting it on, they'll protect the screen a lot more effectively than a standard plastic one.

Yes definitely! While I really love the switch loads, the screen being so open and vulnerable compared to a 3DS was actually my one pet niggle about the switch. But those proper tempered glass screen protectors really solve that problem well. There are alot of good ones and bad ones though, so even the ones that look the same can behave quite differently in terms of how well they stick or line up, but the good ones are really excellent, and you can't even tell they're there. Which one did you try? The one I found worked best of all out of the few I had a go at was the Orzly one. A few others came close, but I still did notice the difference between them.

I got the Orzly premium twin pack as well. (Thank goodness, since I really wasn't sure which protector would be the best when I bought it). Really happy with it. No bubbles or anything whatsoever, and the colors and everything still look perfect.

lol. Great minds think alike! At least you got lucky first time though! (all went on okay just fine, just that I had to try a few bad brands out first before I got to the Orzly ones that worked best, so it turned out more expensive for me than it should have for having to go through all that trial and error). Still though, spent a small fortune on the switch and so many other things for it though anyway last month, that I was inevitably going to wind up very poor anyway! lol.

GoronBrudda

GoronBrudda

Meowpheel wrote:

I'd actually recommend dealing with Vah Medoh first, the mission around it is extremely simple and short.

While Vah Ruta is easily the best of the bunch, so you might want to save it for later.

DarthNocturnal wrote:

I'd recommend Vah Medoh as well, for Revali's Gale. Useful for getting some air in places where you normally can't.

Yep, those two are probably the easiest. Vah Ruta was definitely the easier of the two (and is the one I did first aswell), -The prize from that one of having instantly replenishable hearts is definitely handy at the beginning when you don't have many. But Vah Medoah would definitely be my second choice, as Revali's Gale that it gives you when you complete it is probably one of the most useful items out of all of them, as it will help you reach places you normally wouldn't be able to climb. (I made the mistake of doing Vah Medoah 3rd, and wished I had done it 2nd for that reason). The items you get for the other two shrines, while nice, I honestly don't use all that much. (have never needed to use the ability I got from Vah Naboris in the Gerudo area yet, and the ability you get from Vah Rudania in death mountain I only ever use by accident (as it sort of auto-kicks in when when you press the shoulder button). Vah Rudania I'd actually recommend doing 3rd (after having Revali's Gale from Vah Medoah), as some of the terminals in Vah Rudania are hard to reach without it). I actually did it last, but I'd say that Vah Naboris would have been a better last choice, as the lightning ganon boss is a fair bit harder to beat than the others.

GoronBrudda

NEStalgia

Somehow I think the game is designed to have us go semi-cockwise from Hateno starting with Zora's Domain. They just seem to judge you, quietly, in such a way that most people seem to end up there, with your encounter with the prince and the zora telling you to meet him placed JUST near the line of shrines you'll first find coming down from the plateau and heading through kakariko/hateno. Then Gerudo, and then the other two seem kind of 50/50 being harder to get to/get through with bigger environmental challenges. Though the fact that there's guardians lurking around death mountain implies they were trying to gate that one for last for some reason. Also, I finally bought the sheikah armor and upgraded it. WHY did I not do this sooner??

@Maxz "and everything would be named after cats for some reason."
There was no other choice. The kittehs demanded it.
Untitled

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@GoronBrudda Figures, I did Naboris second after Ruta, and tried that stupid boss 27 times ending in failure before I went and bought 8 more hearts with my hoarded orbs and then he suddenly got easy and didn't even hit me. I thought if the rest of the game was like that it was going to be amazingly difficult. Apparently I went for the lynel-grade boss straight off

NEStalgia

Nicolai

Calora Lake? Pronounced the wrong way, that sounds... unpleasant.

Also, if you shoot an apple off of a tree, you will find the arrow perfectly attached to the apple on the ground. That's a win for the physics engine! https://pbs-h2.twimg.com/media/C8qi22AVoAAinn8.jpg

Also, caption this:
Untitled

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Eel

The order of the memories and the icons on the loading screen suggest the intended order is Rito->Gerudo->Goron->Zora.

But who knows.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

KirbyTheVampire

GoronBrudda wrote:

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

GoronBrudda wrote:

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

@Jumpman I don't know if it's worth buying a Switch just for this game, but if there are other games you're planning on buying as well as Zelda, absolutely go for it. Absolutely awesome piece of hardware, and if the software interests you, you'll have a really good time with it. Without a doubt my favorite system ever. Just make sure you get a screen protector. Preferably tempered glass, if you're willing to spend a bit of extra money. Not only are they far less prone to bubbles if you clean your screen before putting it on, they'll protect the screen a lot more effectively than a standard plastic one.

Yes definitely! While I really love the switch loads, the screen being so open and vulnerable compared to a 3DS was actually my one pet niggle about the switch. But those proper tempered glass screen protectors really solve that problem well. There are alot of good ones and bad ones though, so even the ones that look the same can behave quite differently in terms of how well they stick or line up, but the good ones are really excellent, and you can't even tell they're there. Which one did you try? The one I found worked best of all out of the few I had a go at was the Orzly one. A few others came close, but I still did notice the difference between them.

I got the Orzly premium twin pack as well. (Thank goodness, since I really wasn't sure which protector would be the best when I bought it). Really happy with it. No bubbles or anything whatsoever, and the colors and everything still look perfect.

lol. Great minds think alike! At least you got lucky first time though! (all went on okay just fine, just that I had to try a few bad brands out first before I got to the Orzly ones that worked best, so it turned out more expensive for me than it should have for having to go through all that trial and error). Still though, spent a small fortune on the switch and so many other things for it though anyway last month, that I was inevitably going to wind up very poor anyway! lol.

Same here on the money part, lol. After I'd bought everything else, I was considering not buying the Zelda DLC because of how much money I'd already spent, but I figured I might as well just go all out at that point, lol. The system and the accessories were definitely worth it, but I hope the DLC ends up being worth the 30 CAD price tag. Nintendo's definitely capable of putting out good DLC though, so fingers crossed.

KirbyTheVampire

Randomlight

why can horses swim yet bokoblins cannot

Randomlight

Haruki_NLI

@Randomlight Headcanon time.

Bokoblins are vulnerable to high concentration levels of hydrogen. Upon full body contact it burns away the flesh and they dissolve.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

DreamyViridi

Meowpheel wrote:

The order of the memories and the icons on the loading screen suggest the intended order is Rito->Gerudo->Goron->Zora.

But who knows.

I figured that the order of those loading screen icons would vary depending on what order the player themselves did, but if it's like that generally then I guess I was wrong and just happened to go in reverse.

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

Haruki_NLI

@Meowpheel It is, but that is droplets and in many respects the same as the Bokoblins washing.

Do you want the real answer?

Its a video game.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

meleebrawler

Pretty sure it's just a usual ''lulz, Bokoblins/Moblins r so stupid, they don't know how 2 swim''. And in video game land, not being able to swim for any reason means swift death for entering bodies of water deeper than your waist.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic