Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Posts 241 to 260 of 3,358

Eel

Well, the overabundance of invasive weaponry is a real problem Hyrule has.

Link is doing Hyrule a service by keeping it under control.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Dezzy

Morpheel wrote:

Well, the overabundance of invasive weaponry is a real problem Hyrule has.

Link is doing Hyrule a service by keeping it under control.

Lol this reminds me of the London police who posted they were removing dangerous weapons from the public, and the picture genuinely contained a spoon (and the knives are mostly regular kitchen knives you can buy in any shop.

Yes, this is genuinely real. The UK is a clown country.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

@Dezzy Yeah, but they could make it so that you need to enter at least 8 out of 10 entrances to complete the whole dungeon. So each portion will have its own "shrine-like" puzzle section, but they all connect to a larger dungeon with a proper boss at the end. And they could be themed as well.

They could also accomplish something like that without them needing to be physically connected. You could just have shrines that are grouped based on their design or colour or something. Then if you finish all of the shrines in a group, it unlocks a final boss arena.

I enjoy when they include kind of orienteering tasks in the larger world. One idea that would be cool is if the shrines are in these groups, each shrine in the group is facing in the direction of the next one. So you'd have to draw a line on your map, and keep following it until you find the next shrine in that group.
That's the sort of thing I love in Zelda.

They did stuff like that occasionally in BotW. There were the 2 shrines at the top of the twin peaks which were sibling shrines. There was also the shrine that you had to find by drawing a line between trees on the mountain (although some people probably just stumbled on it randomly anyway)

The other thing they should do is have a few more dungeons like Hyrule castle. Open and multifaceted, that you can complete in your own time throughout the game.

Edited on by Dezzy

iKhan

DarthNocturnal wrote:

I hope breakable weapons get removed. I disliked how everything felt “disposable“. I'd settle for dulling if they needed a reason to switch weapons around.

Maybe a weapon customization feature, using how cooking works as a base (mix ores and gems together to get weapons of different elements, for example).

@DarthNocturnal
I think BOTW would be completely non-functional without weapon durability. They game needs to drive you to pursue exploration and challenge enemies, and they can't do that if you just get a really good weapon you love and use it for the rest of the game.

I think they only way a customization feature could really work to replacement would be if they created a whole new class of collectibles, and customizations were merely upgrades that expired after a certain amount of use.

Many other 3D Zelda games really struggle with the "useless collectible/ money" problem, wherein by the time you are halfway through the game, nothing has any value anymore. BOTW overcomes this by culling rewards over time.

PikPi wrote:

I guess shrines would make a come back since they're easy (and kinda lazy) ways to just plop puzzles down in any part of the environment. Otherwise they'd need to redesign the world to have way more and varied natural puzzles embedded into it, and I just don't see that happening, sadly

@PikPi
This sounds absolutely amazing. I really disliked how BOTW had this amazing sense of atmosphere that quickly got stale for the shrines and dungeons, which have traditionally been where atmosphere is at its max.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Octane

@Dezzy I wouldn't say Hyrule Castle is a ''dungeon''. I just like to see the return of more traditional dungeons. Shrines were neat, but they couldn't iterate on a similar puzzle concept, because you could do them in any order. By having a more structured, and interconnected dungeon design, they could follow up puzzles with more complex ones, and/or introduce new rules.

Octane

DenDen

iKhan wrote:

DarthNocturnal wrote:

I hope breakable weapons get removed. I disliked how everything felt “disposable“. I'd settle for dulling if they needed a reason to switch weapons around.

Maybe a weapon customization feature, using how cooking works as a base (mix ores and gems together to get weapons of different elements, for example).

@DarthNocturnal
I think BOTW would be completely non-functional without weapon durability. They game needs to drive you to pursue exploration and challenge enemies, and they can't do that if you just get a really good weapon you love and use it for the rest of the game.

I think they only way a customization feature could really work to replacement would be if they created a whole new class of collectibles, and customizations were merely upgrades that expired after a certain amount of use.

Many other 3D Zelda games really struggle with the "useless collectible/ money" problem, wherein by the time you are halfway through the game, nothing has any value anymore. BOTW overcomes this by culling rewards over time.

PikPi wrote:

I guess shrines would make a come back since they're easy (and kinda lazy) ways to just plop puzzles down in any part of the environment. Otherwise they'd need to redesign the world to have way more and varied natural puzzles embedded into it, and I just don't see that happening, sadly

@PikPi
This sounds absolutely amazing. I really disliked how BOTW had this amazing sense of atmosphere that quickly got stale for the shrines and dungeons, which have traditionally been where atmosphere is at its max.

Im up for this!

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

NintendoByNature

The shrines were just little appetizers for me. Never really the full course a traditional dungeon is. The Devine beasts were cool and all but they needed more puzzles and items and I wouldve been happy

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

JoyBoy

Eh, traditional dungeons we’re becoming stale so I was glad they changed it up a bit. I don’t want any returning. Something new and better is what I expect and I think they’ll deliver.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

@Dezzy I wouldn't say Hyrule Castle is a ''dungeon''.

It's nearly a dungeon. Stick some puzzles in there and maybe gate-off some of the higher areas to be unlocked slowly, and it'd pretty much count.

Therad

I think the beasts were fine, but a bit samey. They should have differentiate them a bit more, they all had the moving mechanic.

But don't forget botw had some more organic dungeonesque areas as well. Those were fun.

Therad

Eel

I don’t see any negative to adding interesting locations that enhance the lore and wonder of the land.

Dungeons are just that.

The Lomei mazes were ten times more interesting to me than any random shrine as repetitive as they were. Just because they we’re so weird.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

CanisWolfred

Therad wrote:

...But don't forget botw had some more organic dungeonesque areas as well. Those were fun.

I'd prefer more of those, rather than yet another trap-filled maze separated from the rest of the game world that I have to slog through if I want to progress. Those were elements that I only ever tolerated in the Zelda franchise.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

I feel it would make sense for there to be a compromise between how the Divine Beasts worked and traditional Zelda dungeons. The Divine Beasts were actually really cool for what they were, but they were too similar to each other, and didn't make up for how large the game was compared to previous Zeldas. I feel like there's also a compromise between old Zelda giving you key items that make sense for the temple specifically, and BOTW giving you all the best stuff as random items from enemies or during the tutorial shrines.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

iKhan

@kkslider5552000
I don't think that was the main issue with BOTW's dungeons. I think they could do well to just apply the central concept of the divine beasts as non-linear dungeons that require creative spacial and physics based thinking to more traditionally themed structures. Like imagine if in Jabu Jabu's belly you controlled how much water Jabu Jabu swallowed, which expanded or contracted he dungeon.

But if you are right, I think a good compromise is found in Twilight Princess's Dominion Rod. The Rod is completely useless in combat outside of the temple, and had to be shoehorned into the overworld to have any meaningful use. But in the dungeon, it was absolutely brilliant. So why not offer the player temporary, dungeon-only items.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

CanisWolfred

@iKhan That's an excellent Idea, actually. Considering much of BOTW had items and weapons you got from the overworld, it'd fit right in, assuming that reuse that system for this new one.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Eel

Maybe they could give you area-specific apps for the sheikah slate.

You know, like the map functions in divine beasts, but not limited to moving parts of the dungeon itself.

"Your sheikah slate received the 'statue mover' module. It only works in designated areas."

That way they can design new challenges around new abilities, without filling your slate menu with otherwise useless functions.

Or something like that.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Dezzy

How many people care that the shrines/dungeons have the same visual style throughout BotW?

I heard a lot of people complaining about that, but I can't think of anything I care less about.
Some dungeons in previous games did have awesome settings and atmosphere, but I feel like BotW had enough of that out in the world anyway, so I was completely fine with dungeons being just copy and pasted.

darkfenrir

I dig how they have the same blue light aesthetic. The puzzle is different enough for me anyway. (Especially like the shrine where you have to solve the overworld's puzzle)

darkfenrir

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic