Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Posts 3,821 to 3,840 of 4,508

Grumblevolcano

I still think my previous prediction is more likely but I thought, what if Fighters Pass 2 was essentially a "modern icons" pass so basically all characters have to have first appeared in a game during 2011 or later. The March Direct called Xenoblade a "modern classic" so modern probably counts for up to 10 years.

Currently we have:

• Min Min (2017) - ARMS was Nintendo's biggest new IP from 2011 onwards at the time the fighters were picked
  • Steve (2011) - A huge modern gaming icon

So something like:

• A Fortnite character
  • Tracer (Overwatch)
  • Geralt (Witcher 3)
  • Dragonborn (Skyrim) - Only if Steve doesn't deconfirm Bethesda characters, otherwise pick a different character from an iconic game from 2011-2021

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

jump

@Grumblevolcano Arms is Nintendo’s biggest new IP since 2011? Nah, Splatoon easily has Arms beat.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Snatcher

@Grumblevolcano ARMS????? really?

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

JokerCK

ARMS was Nintendo's biggest new IP? Im laughing so hard right now.

JokerCK

Grumblevolcano

@jump I meant new IP that hasn't already got representation. Splatoon got Inkling in the base game and I think ARMS was bigger than Ring Fit at the time the fighters pass 2 characters were picked.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

SKTTR

@PikaPhantom

My prefered one for Smash is Tom-Tom, the original Wonder Boy from the first three games just because he is the first one, and he is the one that went through most changes until it defined the series.
Tom-Tom would imo be the perfect mix of classic platformer (hammerthrowing, skateboarding) and modern (metroidvania - animal transformations) Wonder Boy.
Shion and Asha would be next in line, but if not as Echoes or Alts or Mii Costumes then as new Spirits.

@Toy_Link

The point I'm trying to make isn't just that both series didn't sell that great, but that despite that there's a extremely strong fanbase for both these games.
Chibi-Robo and Earthbound have in common that they are innovative series that tell reallife matter stories with a certain kind of humour and quirkyness that's rarely seen. They have a great soundtrack in common. They try to do plenty things differently than any other game. And they succeed on an emotional level by the ones who gave them time.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

jump

@Grumblevolcano Arms is still behind Tomadachi Life, 1 2 Switch, Dragalia Lost etc ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

PikaPhantom

I think the fact 8 of the third party series with Smash characters were introduced as DLC (out of 13) probably means that the rest of Fighters Pass 2 will continue that general trend, especially given some of the rumors.

PikaPhantom

Slinkoy1

I’m sorry, but if anybody else has seen the supposed rumor from fortnite creator saying no comment on smash, the exact same thing the dude I forgot said before Travis touchdown got a mii, the rumors make byleth seem like a good choice lol.

Hi

PikaPhantom

@Slinkoy1 @DarthNocturnal People said that about Steve...but I don't see how they could make Fortnite work because it is a constantly changing game, and the Smash content for it would probably be dated within a year, whereas the Minecraft content most likely won't. Fortnite also would work much better for a Mii costume anyways in terms of character proportions and fitting a Mii Gunner mold. Part of why I argued for Steve being a character was all the different weapons and tools in Minecraft, while Fortnite is much more focused on just gunplay as far as I know.

Nintendo's third-party picks are always established IPs, even if it's just "oh yeah, Bayonetta has a sequel" or "Minecraft has several spinoffs." Fortnite is pretty recent and doesn't have that going for it, unless you count Battle Royale and Save the World separately. I also think Steve covers a similar audience without the immense backlash that Fortnite would bring.

PikaPhantom

TheFrenchiestFry

@PikaPhantom Do you think Fighters Pass 2 will parallel FP1 by having one first party rep with Min Min and the remaining characters all being from new third party universes like Persona, Dragon Quest, Fatal Fury and Banjo

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

TheFrenchiestFry

@ToadBrigade Just a question jeez

I do personally think they'll have a better balance of third and first party reps but I wouldn't be surprised if they continually introduce new third party franchises since for a lot of the picks already it might be the only time they'll even get to do so.

TheFrenchiestFry

Grumblevolcano

@TheFrenchiestFry If you look at the first wave of DLC fighters, it's 2 1st party characters (Piranha Plant starting the wave, Byleth ending the wave). As the second wave started with a 1st party character (Min Min) just like the first, I'd guess it would end with a 1st party character too.

Grumblevolcano

TheFrenchiestFry

@Grumblevolcano It's 2 first party fighters* because Plant isn't actually an official part of the Passes. He was in development before any of the actual post-launch fighters were selected. I'm going strictly off of the proper post-launch fighters that came with music and stages, which in that case was just one first party fighter.

TheFrenchiestFry

Snatcher

So there is a leak in the sound files of the game and there is two sound file for one character so that means were getting a fighter with a character skins, So what i'm trying to say is crash and coco for smash.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

PikaPhantom

@TheFrenchiestFry I think it's highly likely, but I'm sure that if Geno makes it he'll be considered first party by most even though Square Enix owns him.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get another voiceless character and then 2 characters with 2 sets of clips each if voice theory lines up.

Edited on by PikaPhantom

PikaPhantom

TheFrenchiestFry

@PikaPhantom I still think Geno's Mii Costume is coming in place of him as a character honestly. Despite how highly demanded he is by a lot of hardcore Nintendo fans, he's still in a particularly rough position considering he's technically both a first party and third party character, and there are a few reps from the Mario RPG subseries who'd do a considerably better job of representing that specific style considering he was practically a one off character

He also wouldn't represent Square Enix well at all because again, he just appeared in one game that doesn't have the staying power of stuff like Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, KH, Mana or Chrono

TheFrenchiestFry

PikaPhantom

@TheFrenchiestFry Yeah, I don't think Geno is a lock and could easily see him being a costume again, but Geno came to mind for some reason. At this rate, I don't see a Pokemon happening because they would presumably be promoting Sword/Shield and/or its DLC, but that ship has sailed and I think the Smash team would've made a Pokemon line up with Crown Tundra as closely as possible - but we got Steve last month. Sword/Shield also got spirits after planning for the second pass began, so I don't think it was ever intended, and I think that's the one first party we could really expect given Astral Chain got Spirits in January (I know Min Min disproves the Spirit rule, but it's logical to assume that anything added after planning for the second pass began deconfirms a character). I don't expect to see Bandana Dee or Dixie Kong or Rex or any character of that sort make the cut, either

Sorry for kinda rambling, I like to think these things through and I know this wasn't about a Pokemon, it's just the one expectation I've seen frequently

Edited on by PikaPhantom

PikaPhantom

SKTTR

Lately I've been hearin people talking about how Ryu Hayabusa is the last NES icon. Not in my world.

We might have lost Bomberman and Goemon (two more NES icons) to Mii Costumes and TETRIS to a Spirit Event, but we still have Bubble Bobble, Contra, Ghosts'n Goblins, Bomb Jack, Solomon's Key, Maniac Mansion, and Turrican as some of the most popular 3rd party games from that era.
And Nintendo has at least Famicom Wars/Advance Wars, Excitebike, The Mysterious Murasame Castle, and StarTropics left over.

Ninja Gaiden isn't the last big one. It's just one of a bunch of big ones.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

TheFrenchiestFry

@PikaPhantom Yeah I think Min Min and Byleth were probably intentional considering one was from a new game that got massively popular and the other was from Nintendo's newest IP in general. I think the Rex ship sailed a long time ago with Byleth considering Sakurai chose a character from a game that wasn't out over a character from a game that was like a year old by the time the DLC was being selected

It's also highly likely that post launch spirits also deconfirm characters so yeah no Leon Kennedy, or the main characters from Astral Chain either

If they were to include a Pokemon in the roster I feel like they would've done that pretty early on in Fighters Pass 2 but we got Min Min instead

TheFrenchiestFry

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic