Forums

Topic: Splatoon 3

Posts 281 to 300 of 5,045

kkslider5552000

My entire feeling is that I'm not blown away and I wish there was something extra to really excite me, but I'm not underwhelmed or disappointed either. It looks like a relatively iterative sequel in a solid way (which also in most regards describes 2). My only disappointment is that I just wanted that initial teaser to mean more than it has.

I will say the more understated things (apparent lack of gender choices, non-interrupting map updates, seemingly closer to Octo Expansion single player levels) are doing a lot to make me not underwhelmed.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

WoomyNNYes

Spaltfest world premier (testfire) has an eshop page, but it doesn't say "demo". The button on the Switch eshop page says, "Free Pre-order". If you click the Free Pre-order button, it takes you to a long legal agreement. Seems weird to me. Never seen that before for a demo/testfire. The details say you'll get an email with redeem code to download demo/testfire/world premier on Aug 18.

The webpage link below, just says "pre-order". Perhaps it's Free Pre-order because you need an Nintendo Switch Online sub to play it (so the details say).

Splatoon 3 World Premier (web eshop page)
https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/splatoon-3-splatfest-...

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Ninfan

The card game looks good, but it does not look like a massive difference between splatoon 2 and 3

Ninfan

Snatcher

@WoomyNNYes That is different. Odd.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Budda

I love the game already. The Direct gave me more than I have imagined! The vibes of this game is absolutely amazing. New ink colors for regular battles. They are so vibrant and look 100x better than 2's. ... And don't get me started with the new Idols. The japanese and orient themed look and music, fantastic!
About the graphics. If you just look at the returning Splatoon 2 maps. They look so much better. Maybe the better ink colors contribute to that.
I'm surprised that Switch Sports elements are there too. Choosing your tags look exactly like it. And that you have to make a nickname in-game and it's not your account nickname.

@WoomyNNYes
Maybe they mean the 7 day online trial? You'll receive a code for that when you download the Testfire demo.

Laugh Hard, Run Fast, Be Kind

StuTwo

My take is that Splatoon 3 is simultaneously both essential and a complete waste of time and energy.

Most of the things shown offer only superficial differences for most players... but things like customizable "lockers", emotes and improved lobbies, social aspects etc. all represent a huge amount of work behind the scenes and they're all things that couldn't have just been patched in to Splatoon 2. Cumulatively these will make Splatoon 3 feel like a much more vibrant modern online game.

That said it still looks very similar to Splatoon 2 (and Splatoon 1). Mechanically within individual matches nothing much will change for the vast majority of players - the only additions and tweaks seem to be pitched more at high level players.

Salmon Run "Raids" seem like a great idea.

I loved Splatoon 2 (& 1) but I've not played it in years now. I don't see Splatoon 3 winning me back around but that's just me and how I'm personally choosing to spend my time. The core gameplay remains very strong and unique even though it's not quite as fresh. There must be tens of millions of Switch owners who've never played either of the previous 2 games for various reasons - some of them are likely to find Splatoon 3 is a revelation.

The 2 years of ongoing support is interesting though. Alongside the MK8 DLC running to the end of next year this is a second really big commitment from Nintendo to the existing Switch. It kind of says "no Switch 2 in 2023".

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Budda

Oh. Now I know what the Splatana attacks remind me of. The Swort Beam of the Master Sword. This thing is absolutely amazing!

WoomyNNYes

Splatoon 3's japanese site has changed since yesterday's direct. It maybe has less stuff, now? It's tough to tell, because it changed so much.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/av5ja/index.html

(edit, for instance, the Salmon Run stuff is gone, but there is a thumbnail to click open a separate page to show it. Edit, edit. The page was so big, I think they split it up. single player stuff is still viewable via the thumbnail. https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/av5ja/heromode/index.html)

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

'Tendo liker

Budda

@WoomyNNYes
The weapons at the bottom are missing.
Probably because they showed a new weapon we probably should not see there. The scissors/chainsaw one posted earlier in this thread.

FroZtedFlake

@Budda The scissors one that IIIII called (not gonna let it go thanks @Fizza for letting it get to my head)

Games I'm playing right now:
Tears of the Kingdom - Switch

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4
Ace Attorney Trilogy - Switch

Budda

The weapon is now officially confirmed.

@FroZtedFlakerZz
From the description it seems like it's a chainsaw though.
Oddly brutal for Splatoon. 😂

StarPoint

One thing I've come to realize with Splatoon 3 is that the specials look like they're going to be so much more interactive. Take the Crab Tank, the Zipcaster, the Ink Vac, or Reef Slider. All of these specials look to be really involved, much more than some of the specials in 2 were. Some of the specials introduced in 2 are pretty uninteresting if you ask me, so I'm happy to see a shift towards some specials being more engaging than before.

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

WoomyNNYes

That new ability, the boost up walls move, the way it shoots you up so high above wall, it doesn't look like an advantage. It's so unstealthy, it looks like a disadvantage to me. It almost looks easier to shoot than a splatdown. Perhaps I'm wrong, though.

That chainsaw-looking weapoon is actually an office stamp. Each tooth has a different rubber kanji character stamp that can be rotated. Disregard if I'm late to the party noticing. The weapon is seen in the twitter post above and in this video.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

'Tendo liker

Fizza

@WoomyNNYes I think it'll still be quite useful since it drastically cuts down the charge time, plus more time in the air gives you more time to aim your shots (the Blaster secondary inside me is jumping for joy right now). Probably wouldn't be worth running more than one or two unless the techniques are plain busted, but it'll probably still see play here and there.

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Budda

@WoomyNNYes
If you do shoot up it repells enemy ink for a short period, like with the Squid Roll the other new move explained in the direct. If the enemy doesn't expect you at the top, it's a great move with some protection.

RatKing

*Light Story Spoilers *
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
A thing I think would be cool to implement into the game is maybe a boss mode, but of course, we'd need more bosses available rather than just DJ Octavio.
Another thing is, is it just me or did the story in Splatoon 2 not feel as fulfilling? It's basically a recycled version of the story from the original Splatoon but with Calli getting taken and put under Octavio's control. Sure, that was a cool twist, but it didn't really feel that different. I mean, Nintendo did add the Octo expansion, but maybe adding a boss game mode sort of like Gambit in Destiny 2 or similar to other games would be cool. So far we just have ranked and turf wars.

Edited on by RatKing

RatKing

WoomyNNYes

@RatKing Splatoon 2 did have a different boss for every hub world (drerived from Octarians? Toaster guy, Samarai on the comically tiny unicycle😆, shower cap ufo thing, etc.). Granted, the end of the story boss was Octavio. The argument against Octavio could be made against Bowser in Mario. Octavio is a great excuse for the thumping beats music for the final boss battle, which I loved in Splatoon 2. I trust Nintendo will make it work for Splatoon 3. Although, with Octo Expansion, the story's end boss was that genetic blob, Commander Tartar. And we already know Splatoon 3 is "Return of the Mamalians", which seems to continue the story after Octo Expansion & Commander Tartar.

I absolutely LOVED the the last 1/3 of Octo Exp, when they leave the subway for The Promised Land. I thought that The Promised Land portion was pretty amazing.

As far as Splatoon 2 not being as fulfilling, I never played Splatoon 1 since I didnt' have a Wii U, but I think it's safe to say, a Splatoon game is only new to you once. The first game of a series anyone plays may very well have the biggest impression. As far as innovation goes, Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 were both on the same console, and they were very similar, partly due to using the same game engine? And in this case, Splatoon 2 & 3 are on the same console, likely sharing the same game engine, (possibly same engin as Wii U?, but we know Wii U failed to take off, so, there's that development cost issue they had to navigate).

Also, welcome to NL @RatKing.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

'Tendo liker

Ralizah

https://splatoon.nintendo.com/en/news/squid-research-lab-dive...

"Online Splatoon 3 data—like player level, ranks, items, and gear—is automatically stored in a server and connected to each player's Nintendo Account.

"Since things like progress in Story Mode don't require an internet connection, they can be stored via the Save Data Cloud Backup service included in Nintendo Switch Online subscriptions."

FINALLY

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

FroZtedFlake

Does anyone know exactly how this testfire is working? I'm a little confused lol

Games I'm playing right now:
Tears of the Kingdom - Switch

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4
Ace Attorney Trilogy - Switch

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic