Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Rumor and Speculation Thread

Posts 2,521 to 2,540 of 4,397

skywake

Bolt_Strike wrote:

And I agree that the Wii U didn't have "nothing", that's also an exaggeration, but it wasn't the Wii U ports that allowed the Switch to amass a large library quickly, it was because it's a hybrid console with Nintendo's full force thrown behind it instead of only half of it like the Wii U

I mean, it was both. But early on they leant heavily on the fact that they could port Wii U games and most people saw them as new titles. It was like the New Play Control era of the Wii on steroids. Quite literally a third of their million sellers in their first year were games that existed in some shape or form on Wii U. The notable exceptions being Odyssey, Skyrim, Mario + Rabbids and ARMS

Obviously over time that equation has changed. The Wii U was a console cut short and the Switch is, I'd argue, overstaying its welcome a bit. But the Switch launch was a perfect storm and part of that storm is without question the goldmine of quality Wii U games nobody bothered to play. Games that existed because, as I said originally, the Wii U did have a fair share of quality titles

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

skywake

On the GC rumours. I don't think I'm entirely convinced the Metroid Prime 2 remaster is happening. From the things that have come out about how the Metroid Prime development happened? Seems to me that Prime 2 was happening but was a casualty of Retro moving to Prime 4. Prime 3 I think we can pretty strongly rule out

Of the other Gamecube games they could port or remaster? I mean it's pretty slim pickings to some extent because a lot of the best GC titles are, almost by definition, dated. Who's going to care about Double Dash, Melee or Animal Crossing ports? Probably not many with "equivalent" titles on the Switch already. Which culls the best seller list on GC a fair bit

Basically we're left with:
Super Mario Sunshine (already ported)
Metroid Prime 1 & 2 (already covered above)
Wind Waker & Twilight Princess (still seems like the easiest win and I'm not sure why it hasn't happened yet)
Luigi's Mansion (was remastered on 3DS. I don't really see it happening again)
Paper Mario: TTYD (this rumour, I think it's a strong contender)
Star Fox Adventures (maybe, maybe.... not the strongest IP though)
Pikmin 1 & 2 (I think 3 & 4 is enough for Switch)
Kirby's Air Ride (I think we're already oversaturated with Kirby and I'm not sure how well it holds up)

.... then we fall into titles that sold < 1mill, less fertile ground. So yeah, Paper Mario: TTYD? Seems like one of the few games here that makes sense. I'd give this rumour an A- for believability

Edited on by skywake

An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

Kermit1doesmath

@skywake I think that a "basic" HD version of Animal Crossing (GC) at around $30-$40 could be a great "hold-over" until the next Animal Crossing game.

dysgraphia awareness human

DanijoEX-the-Pierrot

@skywake What about the Pokemon Colossuem series or Star Fox Assault? The latter whom I don't see anyone ever talk about. The former having mechanics not aging well. Plus the Switch is already loaded on Pokemon as it is anyways.

The only one I don't see happening much is the OG Chibi Robo. Aside from that, nothing much.

I sell my famous Chesapeake Tupperware.
I ACCEPT NO DEBIT CARDS!
DO YOU HEAR ME!?!

Twitter:

TheBigBlue

I hope Nintendo surprises us with an older game that hasn’t been heavily rumoured as of late. Not out of spite, just to get that surprised feeling of ‘woah, this is great! I didn’t see this one coming!’

Maybe a bit of spite towards Nintendo Prime, I don’t like him

Edited on by TheBigBlue

Wait, why do we need a signature? Eh, I don’t know. Here’s your signature.

Bolt_Strike

skywake wrote:

I mean, it was both. But early on they leant heavily on the fact that they could port Wii U games and most people saw them as new titles. It was like the New Play Control era of the Wii on steroids. Quite literally a third of their million sellers in their first year were games that existed in some shape or form on Wii U. The notable exceptions being Odyssey, Skyrim, Mario + Rabbids and ARMS

Obviously over time that equation has changed. The Wii U was a console cut short and the Switch is, I'd argue, overstaying its welcome a bit. But the Switch launch was a perfect storm and part of that storm is without question the goldmine of quality Wii U games nobody bothered to play. Games that existed because, as I said originally, the Wii U did have a fair share of quality titles

I mean one year of Wii U ports is a pretty small sample size, and the first year lineup of a console typically isn't that strong, so you can kind of forgive the Switch for leaning on ports a bit for the first year. Overall though? The Wii U games haven't been much of a crutch. Only 2 of the Top 10 games are Wii U games (and one of them is a cross-gen game that Switch owners experienced at the same time as Wii U games, not exactly a hidden gem people ignored for several years), and 9/10 of them released in the first 4 years of the Switch's life (the same timeframe as the Wii U's lifespan). So no, you can question how much the Wii U ports helped the lineup (it sure didn't hurt in MK8D's case, but that's pretty much it). The larger part of the Switch's success lineup wise was that they simply had better IPs lined up early. Which lineup looks better after its first year? One with a samey looking 2D Mario, samey looking 3D Mario, Pikmin, and a remaster of a controversial 3D Zelda game from the GC, or the one with an ambitious open world cross gen Zelda game, an ambitious sandbox 3D Mario, a port of one of the biggest and deepest Mario Karts ever, a sequel to your biggest new IP of the last 10 years, and an open explorable sequel to your big ARPG. The latter looks better in terms of both quantity and quality hands down. With the Switch they just seemed to have a better read on the kinds of IPs and gameplay styles their fanbase actually wanted to play, and it really showed in some of their original entries.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

FawfulsFury

Thousand year door leaks have been showing up lately but according to what I read it’s Thousand year door specifically not game cube on NSO

FawfulsFury

FawfulsFury

To further disprove the Game cube theory Metroid Prime 1 was a Game cube game and people who bought the remaster would not be happy if I came with switch online

FawfulsFury

MarioBrickLayer

@skywake I think they will hold back the ports of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess for the new console.

ToTK releases next month, so if we're lucky we get the next new 3D Zelda in 2028, it may be closer to 2030, that puts it towards the end of the Switch 2 lifespan, it make even be a launch title for the Switch 3. So Nintendo will want some Zelda content to fill the gap. I think they'll do Metroid Prime Remastered level updates to the graphics of both and release them between the launch of the Switch 2 and say 2027.

MarioBrickLayer

FawfulsFury

The 3d all star’s collection comes with two other games also it was only available for a limited time

FawfulsFury

TSR3

TheBigBlue wrote:

The only one that has come true so far is Metroid Prime, which made the most sense for a remaster considering Prime 4 is impending.

How 'impending' is Prime 4, do you have a date?

TSR3

TheBigBlue

@TSR3 I wish I did. All we know is the project isn’t dead, so it’s coming at some point isn’t it? Hell if I know in all honesty. Dread took 15 years after all. Impending could mean that long as well in this case

Wait, why do we need a signature? Eh, I don’t know. Here’s your signature.

skywake

FawfulsFury wrote:

The 3d all star’s collection comes with two other games also it was only available for a limited time

Link's Awakening HD and Link's Awakening on NSO
Twilight Princess HD and Twilight Princess on the Wii U VC
Super Mario All Stars on Wii and those games on the Wii VC
Kirby's Dream Collection on Wii and those games on the Wii VC
A fair chunk of the Arcade Archices series on Switch and the equivalent NES titles on NSO

.... I don't think Nintendo has that much concern for breaking this supposed rule

skywake

Interesting overview of the newer Tegra SoCs for the people who's eyes glaze over when people talk about GFLOPs, TOPs and GB/s. Ignore the clickbait-y thumbnail, it's actually a pretty good video

Edited on by skywake

Bolt_Strike

Meh, the video still does nothing for me. I mean, the games look slightly prettier and might run slightly faster, but I can barely notice the difference without a side by side comparison. So graphic stuff tends to be something I don't really care for. I'm more interested in things such as what kinds of features/gimmicks it might have and what the games can do gameplay wise that past gen games couldn't. This video (understandably) won't show things like that, I'm waiting more for things such as rumors/leaks/reveals of patents and first party games to really get hyped. Everyone just saying "I want a stronger Switch with more games" and I do want that too, but that in and of itself isn't enough for me. All this graphics obsession makes it feel like the Xbox/Playstation model of "just introduce a similar model that plays slightly prettier games" and that'd be pointless and unnecessary, I feel like they need to add something more to justify a new system. If it's like what the 3DS was to the DS, fine I'll take that, at least that's something. But I want to see/hear about what that something extra is for the Switch 2 like what the stereoscopic 3D and Circle Pad were for the 3DS, those are the kinds of hardware improvements I'm more looking forward to and you're not going to hear about that stuff when all they're talking about is what SoC they're using. So yeah, the general conversation about what we (think we) know about the Switch 2 so far just hasn't delved into the aspects of the console I enjoy yet, that video doesn't really change much for me.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

skywake

@Bolt_Strike
I think the "Nintendo gimmick" obsession misunderstands what Nintendo does. All of these "gimmicks", they weren't about doing something wacky for the sake of it. They were about giving developers more tools to create interesting content. Additional performance is just another tool and, frankly, the Switch as a device is versatile enough in terms of IO I don't think it's really limited by any other aspect. A new Switch that can now run games at 1080p/60/high rather than 720/30/low? That's enough for me

With that said.... the Joycon are pretty rubbish for motion control. I would like to see some improvements there. And a camera for AR stuff could be interesting given how much of a jump in power we've had since the 3DS. But those things are very much secondary in my "wishlist". Just give me a reason not want a Steam Deck and/or Steam Deck Clone. That's enough for me

Madao

I don't think there is much value tbh in that video. Making a PC that scores similarly in a benchmark run on a kit that it is definitely not optimised for, while also the PC lacks the features of the kit itself can't reveal much about what a Switch 2 could look like.

DLSS will be a key feature for example for the Switch 2, personally I expect that the vast majority of games will be utilising it. Building a PC that cannot use DLSS and trying to present it like that just doesn't do it for me.

His expectations though are close to mine. Similar power to a steam deck/PS4 is what I expect as well, with a few more tricks up its sleeve due to being a more modern device.

We do talk a lot about GPU, but I am more interested though to what the CPU performance will look like. It is a very low point in the current Switch and stock ARM core designs tend to not be impressive.

Madao

TSR3

@Madao I think one of the reasons Orin got a lot of attention (pre Lapusus$ leak) was because it was the Tegra model with the stock ARM core designs, so its the closest fit for an X1 replacement. The other CPUs in Xavier and Thor are more geared towards enterprise/data centre usage.

@Bolt_Strike the features/gimmicks in Switch have been accessories like Labo and Ring Fit. With decent bluetooth and Wi-Fi you don't need to design a whole console around a new gimmick, you can just add a new feature like better VR after launch.

TSR3

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic