Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Service Thread

Posts 1,741 to 1,760 of 2,232

LiNeR

I’ve been playing Paper Mario on N64 Online for the first time this past month! I’ve really loved the combat system throughout the game. Its simple, but skillful- its not confusing, but it has a decent amount of depth. To be honest, I dont feel super connected to the world, but I love the companion characters and the occasionally witty dialogue. Theres never too much dialogue which is rare in modern RPGs.

Right now Im in (what I believe to be) the final dungeon before the boss fight, roughly 25 hours in. Ive really liked the game at times when Im perfectly leveled and the combat is intense and engaging. With that being said, the game is really repetitive. Each area goes through the same formula, which left me bored and uninterested with each same-y area as I went on.

Lastly, the visual presentation is some of the best I’ve seen on N64, with bright colors and some of the best, most-inspired character designs Ive seen in a Mario game. The music actually underwhelmed me for a Mario game, although there are some areas which are brilliant, other areas’ themes felt like they were on a 4-second-loop and were downright annoying. On switch the game can struggle in the performance area. The menu system stutters at times, the game saves slowly, there is a little input lag in battle, and when you enter a large area a few frames are dropped. With that being said these never really affect the gameplay experience, so its still plenty playable.

Overall, Paper Mario has been fun throughout except when the formula becomes repetitive and weightless.

Edited on by LiNeR

Cartridges are temporary, Memories are forever

My Nintendo: LiNeR

OdnetninAges

skywake wrote:

@NinChocolate
I'm not saying that sites are obligated to cover anything from any particular angle. They certainly aren't obligated to paint decisions made by a cooperation in a positive light. However there was a lot of noise about the NSO expansion pack at its announcement and launch and there were plenty of publications who got a LOT of clicks out of it. Particularly on youtube

I know it seems like almost a foreign concept in this day and age but..... I'd think good journalism would involve publicly correcting the record as visibly as your original take was when your initial take turns out to be as wrong

A while back, DSiWare games disappeared from the 3DS eShop for a little bit, with a bunch of news sites reporting on it and YouTubers making videos about it.

When they all came back, not a single news site or YouTuber that I saw reporting on the initial news released a follow up saying they were back. I only knew they were back because of a random tweet I saw. It annoyed the heck out of me that people were for whatever reason not willing to report on them coming back.

Console Usernames: Rc

HIGH QUALITY VIDEO GAME RIPS

"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."

My Anime List

Nintendo Network ID: Ages97

NinChocolate

@OdnetninAges Hard to find thorough sources of news on many topics. Plenty of sources offering incomplete information. Although I’ll say in cases like this Nintendo itself could be more revelatory about their own practices, like when games are patched or missing software restored. These are their own products and services so they naturally have the best information. So criticisms should go out to Nintendo first about not informing of the changes and updates they make.

Edited on by NinChocolate

NinChocolate

Ninfan

When will nintendo release the GBA and gameboy games for NSO. anyone hear of a mention of it 🤞

Ninfan

LiNeR

@Ninfan Their has obviously been the GB and GBC NSO rumors and I would guess it would come out in the fall (September -November) like the other platforms have. Now, from the people who have stirred the rumor pot for Gameboy, have said that GBA is not currently on the forecast. So, I’d say that N64 and Sega will get releases frequently until the fall. I’d also say at some point in the second half of the year we’ll get rumors of GBA, Gamecube, or another Sega console, but we’ll likely see it in 2023 or close to the release of a switch successor. When GB and GBC come to NSO I’d expect it to come to the the base level NSO and for GBA I’d expect it to be on the expansion pack.

Grumblevolcano

It's intriguing that Nintendo hasn't announced March's N64 game yet. It makes me think 1 of 2 outcomes is happening:
1. March's N64 game is Goldeneye 007 and Nintendo announces it for NSO Expansion Pack at the same time as Microsoft announces the cancelled 360 remaster for XB1/Series X|S.
2. March's N64 game is nothing because much like how November didn't have any N64 games but had Happy Home Paradise, perhaps March doesn't have any N64 games because MK8 Deluxe DLC wave 1 releases March 18th.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NintendoByNature

@Grumblevolcano given the way they've announced releases so close to a games release date, I'd say there's likely nothing coming to the service in March.

NintendoByNature

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano March might not have anything for the West but could have one or both of the yet to release games Japan is getting - both Custom Robo games.

I do wonder if Goldeneye will release at all with the Russian invasion of Ukraine taking place as the game does have Russians as the enemy.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

LiNeR

@Grumblevolcano @FragRed i also wonder if we might see new Sega Genesis games coming soon since its been a little while and they already have a bunch of games on Switch between the Genesis collection and the Sega Ages series.

Fizza

I was just checking the NSO app when I found out what the next Game Trial is (at least here in Europe)....

MONSTER HUNTER RISE!

Now THAT'S a good Game Trial!

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

JaxonH

So glad F-Zero X is finally coming.

I was dying to see an "F-Zero X 3D" remake on 3DS, but... I guess it wasn't meant to be.

I'll take an HD version on Switch though. Since we're never getting a new entry or even a GX remaster, this is the pinnacle of greatness for us F-Zero fans.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

So there's now only 3 left which were announced in September:

• Kirby 64
  • Pokemon Snap
  • Mario Golf

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Fizza

@Grumblevolcano Ironically enough the 3 games I was the most excited for originally. After playing Paper Mario and Banjo Kazooie though, I don't mind them taking their time for those ones to come out.

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano That takes us to June when I assume Nintendo would have planned to announce a fresh batch at what would have been E3. Interesting to see what the plans are past June for the N64.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

StuTwo

DarthNocturnal wrote:

And on that note... where is Bomberman?

Working at Konami, cleaning the toilets and rehearsing for a staring role in a sexy pachinko machine.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic