Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Service Thread

Posts 1,701 to 1,720 of 1,724

kkslider5552000

I took quite a bit of time to beat Winback, which is proof I'm doing my best to get my money's worth. I'm not gonna say I didn't enjoy my time with it, but no one needs to bother to complete this game.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

JaxonH

I'm playing Paper Mario. It's so good. I love this game!

Of all the other games released, none were enough to keep me playing. I sunk thousands of hours into Mario Kart 64 as a kid. Beat Mario 64. Etc etc.

The first batch of games were fun for a week trying out but then I moved on.

But Paper Mario? THIS is one of the few N64 games I will actually play to completion. It's one of the few that still hold up when compared to modern games. I'm loving it.

I can't think of a single other N64 game I'd actually bother playing through to completion. I'll play F-Zero X, but that's a short burst game. And the Zeldas dont interest me- would rather play on 3DS. Same for Star Fox. And Banjo... I'm not convinced I'll like that game (never was a fan of 3D Rare games, but we'll see).

But this here? This Paper Mario is pure gold.

PLAYING
NS: MH Rise
Steam: MH Rise
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR 2022
NS: MH Rise Sunbreak, AC Ezio Collection, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, Triangle Strategy, Kirby Forgotten Land, Mario Rabbids, Zelda BotW 2

Jesus is Lord.

DarthNocturnal

Got two Star Spirits yesterday. Still as fun as it was long ago. I've found myself changing up some of my badge loadouts in the last few times I've played (once on original hardware a year or so ago), compared to my staple setups from years ago.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

X-Slayer

@DarthNocturnal Same here. Thankfully it’s only on the menu. I’m soon going to the canyon, because I took my time checking some areas (15+ years without playing it). Sorry for asking this out of the blue, but does all the Koopa Koot request can be cleared now, or one has to advance further in the game? I never cleared his requests back then.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0567-1887-2002
(Please ask before requesting)

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Bravely Default II
LotR: The Third Age (GC)
Paper Mario 64 (Nintendo Switch)
Zelda BotW Normal Mode + DLC
Pokemon Brilliant Diamond

BrazillianCara

Something I hope they will do eventually (sooner than later) is some sort of customer survey with NSO subscribers globally, to get data on how many people got the expansion pack, the reasons why they did/didn't, and what could be improved. I'm not as belligerent as some people about it, but they will need to make some significant changes before I decide to upgrade.

BrazillianCara

DarthNocturnal

@X-Slayer

He has more chores to do the further you progress. Once he says he has no errands for the moment, you can move on with the main story. By endgame, all should be unlocked.

X-Slayer

@DarthNocturnal Alright, thanks! Good luck getting the third Star Spirit!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Bravely Default II

skywake

Really enjoying Paper Mario, it's one of very few N64 games that hasn't really aged a day. Even visually. I mean obviously the low resolution text/textures stand out especially when it's now being rendered at a higher resolution. But a game based on cardboard/paper for a system that could only really do low-poly models and sprites? It just never ages. Doesn't hurt that the gameplay + dialogue is top tier either. Definitely playing this one through again

Side note, had an early family Christmas get together thing yesterday. I dragged some people into Mario Kart 64, dominated, then was baited into playing Mario Kart 8 with the N64 controller. Seems the Mario Kart skills of people who grew up in the late Wii/early 3DS era don't translate well to Mario Kart 64. At all. And also the N64 controller works well in Mario Kart 8 but is a significant handicap, possibly just the lack of muscle memory on that controller with Mario Kart 8's play style.

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I took quite a bit of time to beat Winback, which is proof I'm doing my best to get my money's worth. I'm not gonna say I didn't enjoy my time with it, but no one needs to bother to complete this game.

Honestly it's the one game on the service I haven't even bothered with yet.

Some Aussie musics: Pond, TFS, Genesis Owusu
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Eel

I think I’ll try another 5hp run on paper Mario, now that I can easily record clips of it.

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

BrazillianCara

I'm glad to hear that people are enjoying Paper Mario, and that there doesn't seem to be any (relevant) technical issues with the emulation.

BrazillianCara

JaxonH

I can't do the N64 controller for analog games. It's a wonder I didn't mind using that controller as a kid, cause it's crazy uncomfortable.

I like owning it, but after trying it again for Paper Mario, no more. Dpad games, sure. But that middle grip points your hands so awkwardly its a pain to hold and use. Immediately went back to Pro Controller and was like, ahhhh, now that's a controller! Seriously love the Pro Controller so much. Most ergonomic controller ever made. I do prefer the PS5 controller's rumble and the Xbox controller's Dpad, but all in all, it's got it where it counts. Way more comfy than PS/Xbox controllers, still has quality rumble and Gyro, digital triggers which I prefer, and gets way longer battery life. It just melts in the hand.

Anyways, Paper Mario with Pro Controller plays great. Holding ZR activates the yellow buttons as the face buttons, kinda how Steam Controller lets you bind activators to certain buttons. It's brilliant. Hold ZR and press A to Switch partners, hold ZR and press X for status bar, etc.

Game is so good, too. As soon as Steam Deck releases I'm playing Thousand Year Door. Ya, I can do it now with GPD Win 2, but cross save with the PC is a pain, having to copy the save file buried in the config folder and transferring across the network. Meh. I can wait.

PLAYING
NS: MH Rise
Steam: MH Rise
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR 2022
NS: MH Rise Sunbreak, AC Ezio Collection, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, Triangle Strategy, Kirby Forgotten Land, Mario Rabbids, Zelda BotW 2

Jesus is Lord.

X-Slayer

Cleared Shy Guy’s Toy Box early in the day, along with its Peach’s information quest (don’t know how to name her story sections 😅). After I help a certain water creature, I’ll finally go to Chapter 5. I like how adventurous this chapter feels.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Bravely Default II

Eel

@JaxonH as a kid I would usually hold the controller with my right had, resting it on my lap and move the joystick with both the index finger and thumb of my left hand.

I would reach for the Z button with my middle or ring finger when needed.

It worked… At least for the simpler games 😅

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

kkslider5552000

Well at this rate, NSO is at least jumping over that low bar its set.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

yokokazuo
Got my Japanese Megadrive controller in. Here’s a look at it with the rest of the NSO controllers.
It’s a lot smaller than I had realized in comparison.

My backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

DarthNocturnal

Pretty much everything done in Paper Mario (again). The only thing I never bother with is recipes, since the game doesn't let you keep track of what you've actually made (unlike the sequel).

It's probably too much to ask that the series returns to it's roots. But maybe they could make a new Mario RPG series that tries to recapture the same spirit. Or finally get somebody to make an actual Super Mario RPG 2.

Anyhoo, Banjo-Kazooie in January was it?

X-Slayer

@DarthNocturnal I can confirm that. As for the exact date, I think they haven’t mentioned yet.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Bravely Default II

Octane

Kirby 64 is ranked among the Switch Online N64 titles in an article bij NLife. However I'm not seeing it when I open the app. Is this a regional thing?

Octane

DarthNocturnal

Nah, they probably just jumped the gun. It is one of the confirmed games coming at some point, but that's it.

Grumblevolcano

@Octane That list includes all the games that were announced back in September, not just the games that are currently on the app. The ones not yet on the app that were announced are:

• Banjo-Kazooie
  • Kirby 64
  • F-Zero X
  • Mario Golf
  • Majora's Mask
  • Pokemon Snap

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic