Forums

Topic: Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee!

Posts 361 to 380 of 2,747

Bolt_Strike

Tsurii wrote:

It's mind-boggling to me how someone can call SuMo the most mediocre games in a series that spawned something like the Karlos games or the Sinnoh stuff before Platinum's improvements to that region

I'll take 10 games like DP before I take another game like XY and SM. At least DP looks like they actually put effort into them.

Grumblevolcano wrote:

It's irrelevant what direction Pokemon Switch goes in because in any case it'll still lead to largely increased hardware sales which is what Nintendo cares about. It could be Pokemon Sticker Star releasing in 2018 for all we know and it would still make Nintendo reach their 20 million Switch goal.

The 3DS games sort of are Pokemon's Sticker Star/Color Splash, that's the problem. Again, it's up to the fanbase to have the guts to step away from this series while Game Freak is busy doing next to nothing the fans actually want from this series.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

-Green-

Hopefully they bring back a system similar to the online thing in XY. That was one of the best things from those two, and it was a shame they degraded in SM.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

shadow-wolf

C'mon guys it seems many on this forum are acting like it's confirmed Pokemon Switch was started November 2017 and is coming out this year. We don't know when the game is coming out, and more importantly, we don't know when the game started development. For all we know it could have been in development alongside Sun and Moon in 2016.

I do agree that if Pokemon Switch is coming out this year, it will be announced either this month or March at the latest. XY were announced in January and Sun and Moon were announced in February. Any later and Pokemon Switch is almost certainly coming out next year.

I also don't see the issue with a story-heavy game (although to be fair I have not played any Pokemon game past HeartGold so I haven't experienced the alleged handholding and long cutscenes of more recent Pokemon games). Not every game in Nintendo's lineup has to be exploratory and story-lite, Pokemon could excel if it has a good story and a formidable villain. That being said, Pokemon BotW would also be cool to see, but I expect that to happen with Gen 9 at the earliest IMHO.

shadow-wolf

Kylo_Ren

Tsurii wrote:

It's mind-boggling to me how someone can call SuMo the most mediocre games in a series that spawned something like the Karlos games or the Sinnoh stuff before Platinum's improvements to that region

Umm.. maybe because people have different opinions to you, not that mind-boggling, and yes I preferred Kalos to Alola.

MarcelRguez wrote:

@Kylo_Ren It's BS. He says he worked on XC2's localization, which was done by NoE. Game Freak and TPC handle the localization of these games internally, so there's no reason why someone from NoE would know a thing about this.

Thanks, that's a shame, a Sri Lankan region does sound very unique, and interesting.

Also, a open-world Pokémon wouldn't work... so no BOTW pokemon game.

Kylo_Ren

Grumblevolcano

@Bolt_Strike I don't think Pokemon has reached that stage yet, I'd say Gen 7 is Pokemon's equivalent to Super Paper Mario and Gen 6 is like if Paper Mario (N64) got a remake.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

MarcelRguez

@shadow-wolf If you really want to understand why some people are against adding a more prominent story to these games, you should play the 3DS entries. The pacing in those games is atrocious.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

-Green-

The stories are also bare bones and obvious. Several Spin-off Pokémon games have far more entertaining stories than any mainline Pokémon game.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Bolt_Strike

shadow-wolf wrote:

C'mon guys it seems many on this forum are acting like it's confirmed Pokemon Switch was started November 2017 and is coming out this year. We don't know when the game is coming out, and more importantly, we don't know when the game started development. For all we know it could have been in development alongside Sun and Moon in 2016.

Even if that were true, it wouldn't help much. Working on two games at once means you can only put half as much work into them. You can't just double your productivity by doubling your workload, you can only do so much with finite resources. You would either need more time or more employees to do that, which as I said are things Game Freak hasn't been willing to increase significantly. The games are going to need a good 4-5 years in development BY THEMSELVES to really be quality experiences.

Kylo_Ren wrote:

Also, a open-world Pokémon wouldn't work... so no BOTW pokemon game.

Of course it can work. Game Freak just doesn't want to make it work. The excuse that "we need a reason to make you explore" is complete BS because you've always been exploring for new Pokemon, new trainers to fight, and new items. That doesn't change in an open world.

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Bolt_Strike I don't think Pokemon has reached that stage yet, I'd say Gen 7 is Pokemon's equivalent to Super Paper Mario and Gen 6 is like if Paper Mario (N64) got a remake.

The only thing that Pokemon doesn't have in common with Paper Mario is that it hasn't changed the core gameplay (although if the rumors that the battling system is getting an overhaul are true, they'll already have done that). Other than that, yeah. They keep dumbing down the gameplay, going after kids, and ignoring fan criticisms.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Tsurii wrote:

Oh, right. X/Y's cakewalk in their incredibly bland and forgettable setting is so much better than Gen 7 actually doing what you keep whining about 24/7 and offering an actual challenge (as long as you're not one of those borderline-braindead morons who keep going on about how hardcore they are and then turn the exp share on just to whine about being overleveled) on top of not insulting your oh-so-mature self with a story a dog could've written better and, gasp, having post-game content.

But it's not like someone who's been skipping these games for the last 4 years or so would know that. So keep blabbering on about how GF are on this mobile game trip just to piss off their loyal (hah!) fans.

SM didn't do anything I asked them to do. I wanted a less linear and more exploration driven game with more extra content. That hasn't improved in the slightest in the 3DS era. If anything, it's gotten worse. Show me one game that's even come close to the level of exploration and extra content as DPPt and HGSS. I want to see games AT LEAST on that level, ideally even higher than that. The new games aren't even up to the standards of Mario 64/OoT, let alone Botw/Odyssey.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

shadow-wolf

@MarcelRguez Yeah true. Unfortunately I don't have a 3DS so I'm not sure if I will play them in the foreseeable future, but I'll see.

@Bolt_Strike I mean I doubt this one will be open world. GameFreak seems to be doing a tick tock cycle, where the first entry on a new system has really nice graphics and the second entry on the same system changes the core in some way along with refinements to graphics. I wouldn't expect an open world Pokemon until Gen 9 at the earliest, I mean Pokemon is probably the last major franchise to make the jump to HD, I'd assume they'd also be one of the last to the open-world style as well.

And honestly were DPPt and HGSS really open and supported exploration? There wasn't really anything open or exploratory about them IIRC, you were told where to go and while you could do things as you please, the main story followed a set path (for example in HGSS you couldn't go to Kanto or challenge Red without first beating the Johto Elite 4).

Edited on by shadow-wolf

shadow-wolf

MarcelRguez

@shadow-wolf Personally, the problem isn't so much that the games are linear (which they always were to a degree), it's that there's no side-exploration to be had. No caves, dungeons and the like. And the cutscenes are intrusive AF, which is much more noticeable now that everything's 3D.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

For me, the worst 2 Gens are 4 and 5. 5's biggest problem was Gen 1-4 Pokemon being a postgame feature rather than appear throughout the main story and Gen 4 just felt really boring compared to Gen 1-3.

@Bolt_Strike I feel the core gameplay change in Sticker Star is too significant to the problems Sticker Star had for comparisons to be made between Gen 7 and Sticker Star.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Bolt_Strike

shadow-wolf wrote:

And honestly were DPPt and HGSS really open and supported exploration? There wasn't really anything open or exploratory about them IIRC, you were told where to go and while you could do things as you please, the main story followed a set path (for example in HGSS you couldn't go to Kanto or challenge Red without first beating the Johto Elite 4).

Not to the degree of something like BotW/Odyssey, but definitely more than Unova, Kalos, and Alola. All three of those regions have a ridiculous amount of railroading and less side areas to explore, and it's gotten progressively worse with each region. But yeah, Sinnoh's region design is pretty much the bare minimum I'll accept for the level of exploration for this game. Anything less than that and I'm skipping this game.

Bolt_Strike

Haruki_NLI

@Grumblevolcano Someone didnt play BW2

For me the worst are 2 and 6. 2 for baving terrible variety and its open ended nature leading to low levels for wild Pokemon and trainers no matter how you go about it, even towards the last gym, as well as a "story" that manages to barely exist. And if you go the intended route the level curve flies up and down like a yoyo

And Gen 6...is boring. You say the old Pokemon were locked to post-game in BW which is true. In XY the NEW Pokemon account for 69 of the 450 Pokemon. More often than not you go entire areas without seeing a new creature because they either arent there or for some unfathomable reason they are often the rare encoumters!

And that plot...ick.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Grumblevolcano

@YummyHappyPills I had other issues with Gen 5 as well but yeah, BW put me off playing BW2 despite me buying both.

Grumblevolcano

Harmonie

Grumblevolcano wrote:

For me, the worst 2 Gens are 4 and 5. 5's biggest problem was Gen 1-4 Pokemon being a postgame feature rather than appear throughout the main story

Well, to each their own, I suppose. I thought that was one of Black/White's biggest strengths. It actually made the games feel fresh by making me seek out new Pokemon instead of looking for ones that I've relied on in the past.

@Bolt_Strike I feel the core gameplay change in Sticker Star is too significant to the problems Sticker Star had for comparisons to be made between Gen 7 and Sticker Star.

I agree. I think Sun/Moon were very mediocre... However, they didn't completely ruin everything that made Pokemon good. That's what Sticker Star is to Paper Mario, it is a hollow shell. Sun/Moon are just standard mediocre entries in their franchise.

@Tsurii I'll take X/Y over Sun/Moon any day. For me, Kalos was a much more exciting region than Alola. I enjoy all of the variety they put into Kalos, as opposed to Alola, which is just a tropical region which felt very limited. I'm also a fan of Europe, while you couldn't make me go to Hawaii. So I am biased, but a lot of people are probably biased the other way.

As I said, the region felt limited. Even though Gamefreak finally moved further away from the 2.5D nonsense, the environments ended up feeling very cramped. Surfing is practically non-existent in the game. I know that the amount of surfing being too high is a complaint that others (Not me, by the way) have made about previous games, but it was sooo minimized in this game. Then you also can only fish in certain spots. I know some people may prefer it that way, but for me it just contributed to the fact that I really felt like I was playing a limited, cramped region.

Funny you bring up difficulty. I felt like Sun/Moon's difficulty was all over the place. It felt like at times that some of the more powerful trainers actually had competitive training compared to me, because my Pokemon felt so much more weaker than previous games, even though I was over-leveled. Then after that I'd run into my rival who has the most ridiculous AI and sends out a Fire Pokemon to my Water Pokemon.

There was no balance there. I don't want competitive training to ever be a thing in the main game, because I ain't got time for that nonsense, nor do I care that much. The only way I'd accept that being a part of the main game is if Nintendo created difficulty settings... Instead you get Sun/Moon which's difficulty are hard to gauge because it's just all over the place.

I've never been one to complain about being "over-leveled" in Pokemon. Never. Just getting that out of the way before you attempt to lump me with those complaining about that, because you're already making a lot of faulty generalizations in your posts from what I can see. My problem with Sun/Moon is that at one point I DID want to try to not use Exp Share. I was met with the SOS feature which double teamed my weak Pokemon and make training really frustrating. On top of that, it just seemed like it was taking even longer to train them than normal. So I gave in and turned on EXP Share. It wasn't what I wanted to do, but GameFreak did not craft this Pokemon game very well. It's like they expect you to turn it on, otherwise you're going to be met with much worse than normal frustration. I don't feel like it was that way in X/Y, but it has been a while since I've played X.

That's just part of my complaints with S/M.

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

Kylo_Ren

^ Exactly my thoughts. Will always prefer Kalos to alola.

I don't want pokemon and every other franchise to turn into a big botw style game, Pokemon is good the way it is, that's what makes it pokemon.

Kylo_Ren

Haruki_NLI

@Harmonie Those thoughts on S/M difficulty only apply to S/M. Ultra is significantlymore challenging to the point without the EXP Share you are unserlevelled...and even then...

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic