Forums

Topic: Pokemon Legends Arceus

Posts 921 to 940 of 1,908

roy130390

@Snatcher Of course mate! I'll be checking your feedback haha.

Also, don't fight guys. There's enough @Eel for everyone. Jokes aside there's room from criticism of course, just try to keep it civil.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

Snatcher

@roy130390 I'm trying, even tho I might suck at it LOL.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Snatcher

@Pokester99 No problemo. Edit: and if you can find a way to post it without spoilers, it would be great, and clear up a lot of arguments here.

Edited on by Snatcher

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

Eel

It's certainly interesting seeing the changes they've made to the moves.

And the sleep status condition... I could see these Pokemon going "Back in my day, being hypnotized didn't mean you could slack off for five turns, we had to continue fighting!" once they get to meet the modern Pokemon.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Snatcher

@Eel Oh ya, I know its works differently in here, but I have yet to figure out how, like do they sleep or, just a chance they will miss there turn?

Eel

Seems to be just that, a random chance to miss your turn.

According to serebii, it also makes you take more damage from attacks.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Snatcher

@Eel Thats pretty cool actually.

skywake

Pokester99 wrote:

@skywake Literally all the resource management revolves around potions and different pokeballs. If that's not a pokeball throwing simulator, I dont know what is. "Exploring" new areas is just throwing more pokeballs at different avatars in different backgrounds. Let's not criticize the main series for repetitiveness only to give a pass to a stripped down spin off of the franchise.

Well, again I don't agree. I would argue that having played all of the mainline Pokemon games this is pretty much the only time I've played a Pokemon game where item management matters at all. And not just Pokeballs, infact very much not only Pokeballs. I find myself using revives and potions in a way that I haven't really needed to in the main series games outside of maybe Victory Road. Most of the game is collecting resources, crafting items, catching new Pokemons, levelling up and pushing just a bit further. The story of the main series games are incredibly easy, this game pushes you towards challenge and rewards you for it

And you get into a bit of a rhythm with the game. Throw one Pokemon at a tree, another at another tree or resource, couple of Pokeballs out at some low level guys. See an interesting new Pokemans or some Alpha and challenge it to a battle. Get smashed, run away, revive/heal. Push to a new area, crawl upto some other Pokemans crouching in some grass, stealthily throw a Pokeball. It gets angry so engage in battle etc, etc. In the same way that in BotW you might sneak up on a camp, fire a flaming arrow at a barrel, come in with a sword which may break, tear the place apart etc. Then craft, cook, heal, potions on your way to the next area

Is it as good as BotW at being BotW? No. Is it the best game ever? Not really. Are there issues and in particular issues with wasted space and visuals? Sure. Is it the best Pokemon game ever? It's not really easy to compare because it's a different game entirely. But it's definitely a different experience, something I'm enjoying and I hope they borrow parts of it for future games in the series (whether they be mainline Pokemon games or otherwise)

Also damn, that last bit. Lets be real here, what have the last few generations added beyond variations on "Pokemans under certain conditions go big"? Not a whole lot other than abandoning the rigid definition of Gym Leaders in Sun/Moon. Whatever your criticism of Arceus, legitimate or otherwise, I don't think you can honestly argue that this isn't an entirely fresh approach to the series. It's not a stripped down traditional Pokemon game. It's barely the same genre of game to the extent that "genres" are something you can pin down

So yeah, I think at most you've come into the game with an agenda and maybe played part of the first area. More likely I think you've watched a few video reviews/trailers and are surfing on the outrage. Whatever it is I think you're looking for something in this game that simply isn't there. Because it's not the same game, and believe it or not that's why some people are enjoying it

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Snatcher

They said this game is not open world, and you know, when they said that, I thought there was going to be small areas, but man are they big, and even if all the areas aren't connected, it still feels very open worl in my opinion, and i'm pretty sure I have gotten to the point were I need to craft smoke bombs because pokemon are not always going to be near grass, and those cakes to.

VoidofLight

@Snatcher The areas feel like they just get bigger and bigger as you progress further and further in the game. As for the pokemon thing, yeah they really make sure the tools they give you are actually useful.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Snatcher

@VoidofLight IKR? I really did think they would be smaller, I take a corner, break a rock, an guess what, more space, more pokemon! I love it!

Pizzamorg

Man, @Pokester99 is getting dunked on at all sides and I actually agree with almost everything they said. Is this a barbershop window style heel turn? I thought they were exaggerating for trolling effect and I do think their comments have some extra, unnecessary, stink on them but generally I really do agree with their feelings.

I am now in zone 2 and the game just feels sort of unfinished to me. A story is starting to form, but it isn't properly structured or paced, so it just feels like characters are dropping in and out of it very quickly, concepts being lobbed at you with no context and you sort of don't really realise what is happening until you're almost done with that stretch of story.

In between that, it just feels like you're doing temporary quests they put in to test the engine rather than the stuff that was meant to be there at release. I already have this absolute mountain of side quests about showing x person x pokemon, or getting x item for x person and I just can't be bothered. The quest log is just utterly fatiguing giving me the same MMO style fetch quest over and over again.

That isn't to say there aren't some interesting quests in between, some will have you catching shiny Pokemon, or new Pokemon not seen in that zone or other such things but those are interesting because of the rewards, it isn't like there is ever much story to go with it. It just feels like the foundational bones of a quest that they planned to fill in later.

You do start getting more regular trainer battles, but again, they mostly just sorta feel like they come out of nowhere. A character will enter from stage right say FIGHT ME and then exit stage left and that'll be the scene. So far there has been no proper overarching plot, or tangible villain or progression ladder to really make any sense of these sequences. Again feeling like this is the foundation built, but the flesh didn't get added to it in time. If you told me the game was a year or two away from being finished, I'd believe you.

And that isn't to say the game is horrible, on handheld at least on the SWOLED it actually looks pretty nice and the framerate is better, too. As I've said for the sake of balance repeatedly, the core changes to how you interact with the world, catch Pokemon, do battles etc are all positive changes. A freshening up of the formula, without changing too much. But it just feels like they finished making throwing Pokemon balls feel good and then Nintendo said, "you have a month to ship this", so they quickly rushed to slap together the bones of a game around this core loop and call it finished.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

Life to the living, death to the dead.

jump

@Pokester99 You can use a free pic online hosting site like https://imgbb.com and then copy the address inbetween [ img ] [ /img] but without the spaces

@Anti-Matter To be honesy it's no different than when you go into the Final Fantasy thread to talk about how you hate Final Fantasy now.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

skywake

@Pizzamorg
Well on my part I don't disagree with criticism of the game and I think your take is pretty fair. It certainly isn't the greatest game ever and I to have my fair share of criticisms of it. What annoyed me about the take from @Pokester99 was the assertion that it's Pokemon with stuff stripped away to the point where it's just a "Pokeball throwing sim". Which just flat out isn't true. It's an entirely different game and it's a refreshing take on the idea of what a Pokemon game can be. Which is what has me hooked, despite the obvious issues

I made the analogy before that it was like someone criticising Paper Mario by talking about it purely in the context of how it is as a "Mario Game" aka a platformer. Because that's pretty much what it is. The game is a different game so naturally if your feelings towards it may be different than the traditional Pokemon game. And that's ok, everyone has different tastes. What's BS is complaining about the things that make it effectively a different genre of game and getting all defensive when people say "well obviously, it's a damn different genre of game. are you blind?"

Like ordering a vegetarian burger and complaining about it not having bacon. It's a Pokemon game that has pulled back on the focus on battles in favour of more of an exploration/action RPG angle. That's what it is, for better or worse. I'd argue for the better, some might argue otherwise. But what it isn't is the same thing with stuff taken out

Edited on by skywake

Monkeido

Seems like everybody is really enjoying the game, but I find it incredibly unfun that a level 2 Bidoof can kill your level 12 Pokemon in 2 hits.. is it just me who thinks that's not enjoyable at all?

EDIT: And for the record, I love difficult games like Dark Souls, I just think this is not difficult but tedious.

Edited on by Monkeido

Monkeido

skywake

@Pokester99
If you want to be pedantic it has turn based elements but it's not a traditional turn based RPG. I mean this is literally the thing you're complaining that it's lacking is it not? Trainer battles? The fact that you can avoid battling wild Pokemon in favour of remaining hidden and throwing a Pokeball? Stealth and combat over turn based strategy? It's not a traditional RPG in the vein of the tabletop RPGs a traditional Pokemon game bases its mechanics on. It's FAR closer to an Action RPG like Zelda

Hell, look it up on wiki or something. I'm willing to bet that most sites and stores are listing this as an Action RPG not simply an RPG. Because that's what it is. It's not the same genre of game. Period

Edited on by skywake

NintendoByNature

@Monkeido not saying that's not fun, but I do find It odd. Same type of stuff happens to me.

NintendoByNature

Munchlax

@Monkeido What species of Pokémon were you using? I’ve found the balancing about the same as normal.

Munchlax

Monkeido

Munchlax wrote:

@Monkeido What species of Pokémon were you using? I’ve found the balancing about the same as normal.

I think I was using Shinx. It's not just this Pokemon though, a lot of low level Pokemon can take away half your HP with a tackle, even though your Pokemon has a level that's 4 to 5 times higher.

NintendoByNature wrote:

@Monkeido not saying that's not fun, but I do find It odd. Same type of stuff happens to me.

Good to hear it's not just me. I'm still enjoying the game as well, but I do find that aspect to be a bit annoying.

Monkeido

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic