Forums

Topic: Pokemon Sword & Shield

Posts 1,161 to 1,180 of 3,089

iKhan

You know something that bothers me? I feel that the general atmosphere of dexgate has allowed a lot of folks like myself to really flesh out our criticisms of the franchise really failing to evolve, and to some degree losing its way.

But I know that very few of those people are going to end up writing reviews, because most review websites will assign Sword and Shield to one of their staff members who is a hardcore Pokemon fan (such as Miranda Sanchez of IGN). While there's nothing wrong with being one of those hardcore fans who gets excited tiny details like character models and gym leaders and have been mostly satisfied with incremental changes, that should definitely not be the only audience reviewing a game.

I don't think it's reasonable to have someone who is brand new to the franchise review the game, but I do think it would be nice to see someone who has played the franchise and has a more mixed view. I know many people who reviewed BOTW felt the Zelda series was going in the wrong direction when it came out for example.

Also I know this isn't just an issue with Pokemon. It's an issue with many semi-annualized franchises, and is one of the reasons that poor business practices can sometimes skirt by.

I'm honestly most excited to see Arlo's review, since he's had a on/off experience with the games, and is more of a casual fan like I am.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

CanisWolfred

Most review outlets are PR machines and have been for years. Just stick with whoever you trust and ignore the built-in hype machines.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

LzWinky

Somehow, I think you want a bad review of this because of your criticisms...

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

iKhan

@LzWinky No, I want a tough but fair review. Is Sword and Shield a good game for someone who is a casual Pokemon fan who only picks up the game intermittently, and would like to see significant progress for the series? If you took the word "Pokemon" out of the title, would they be good games?

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Heavyarms55

@Anti-Matter That sounds terrible and like the complete end of any form of reasonable vs mode. No thank you.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55 / SW 4867-2891-2493#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

andrew20

it would be cool if they add a labo mode for rotom drome where you can take pictures and view them

andrew20

Switch Friend Code: SW-8517-4594-3400 | 3DS Friend Code: 4098-4719-4387 | My Nintendo: toughdude | Nintendo Network ID: Andrew1994fl2.0

Anti-Matter

1 hour 15 minutes to Pokemon Direct !

My Top 10 villagers on ACNH:
1. Rooney
2. Raymond
3. Sterling
4. Wolfgang
5. Apollo
6. Sherb
7. Marshal
8. Curt
9. Jay
10. Tybalt

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Late

Well, that what was a short and weird trailer. Don't really have anything to say, other than that I like what they did with Zigzagoon and its evolution line.

Late

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Anti-Matter

Galarian Form Confirmed !!! ūüėÜ

My Top 10 villagers on ACNH:
1. Rooney
2. Raymond
3. Sterling
4. Wolfgang
5. Apollo
6. Sherb
7. Marshal
8. Curt
9. Jay
10. Tybalt

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Ralizah

Most of the character designs in these games are pretty great so far.

Current Games:

Astral Chain (Switch)

DOOM 3: BFG Edition (PC)

Paper Mario: The Origami King (Switch)

link3710

I thought for certain they'd abandon the new form concept after Gen VII like they always do, so I'm pleased to see it brought back and expanded upon (new evolutions to go with the new forms, perfect, plus it's not all gen 1 this time.)

That said... Galarean Weezing I feel the same about as Alolan Grimer. Not great.

Morpeko is actually the first Pikaclone to interest me since Emolga, so props to them there.

I'm certainly hoping that we see Galarean forms for more Hoenn Pokemon in particular since that region has a high number of designs that can be improved.

link3710

Late

The Japanese trailer certainly introduced things in more natural way. I was wondering why they decided to show Galarian Zigzagoon at the beginning of the English trailer and then had it appear again once the evil team was introduced. Same thing for Marnie. The evil team also had twice as much screen time in the Japanese one instead of being a throwaway thing at the end of the trailer.

Looks like they found use for their Pokémon Quest assets as well. They took so long to make that they just had to find a way to use them again. (Obvious sarcasm.) I find it funny.

Late

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

darkfenrir

Agreed! Overall the more I watch it, the more excited I am for this release XD

Pokemon will be perfect for winding down after all the hype stuff releasing...

darkfenrir

Ralizah

You know, I hadn't thought about this, but...

Bede and Marnie finally seem to be rivals who aren't going to be kissing the ground you walk on. Bede, in particular, looks intolerably smug!

Finally. I've been wanting someone I can hate for the right reasons.

Edited on by Ralizah

Current Games:

Astral Chain (Switch)

Ralizah

@Tsurii Gladion was fine, I guess, but he never made much of an impression on me, like most of the SuMo characters.

Current Games:

Astral Chain (Switch)

shinesprites

@Ralizah YEAH THAT WAS MY FIRST THOUGHT TOO!! Antagonistic rivals are very interesting and we have the Champions son to balance things out!!

shinesprites

Ralizah

@shinesprites SwSh's human game is looking pretty strong so far (although I'm not hopeful for Hop; we'll see). Nessa and Allister are pretty cool. Sonia, too.

Edited on by Ralizah

Current Games:

Astral Chain (Switch)

-Green-

It all depends on the writing however. Hopefully it’s satisfactory

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

shinesprites

@Ralizah For sure.. people are saying team yell are too one-note but didnt we think that back in the days of sun and moon? Theres always more to the story!

shinesprites

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic