Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 7,941 to 7,960 of 15,872

rallydefault

@MetalToad
Ok, thanks. 1080p is considered HD quality. So... I don't get what you mean, @VoidofLight.

Also, is there a difference in resolution between SS HD at 1080p on my Switch and just booting up the original disc on my Wii or Wii U on a 4k TV?

rallydefault

VoidofLight

@rallydefault HD implies the game has actual HD lighting and textures. Skyward Sword HD is just a resolution upgrade and nothing more.. the bare minimum.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Maaryotyme

@rallydefault no problems. The difference is Wii version will need a upscaler to get it to 1080p and the switch version should do without

Maaryotyme

rallydefault

@VoidofLight
The title Skyward Sword HD to me just means Skyward Sword High Definition. It doesn't evoke anything in terms of lighting and textures in my mind, just the game but in 1080p as opposed to... like 480p or whatever Wii games ran at.

rallydefault

RR529

VoidofLight wrote:

@rallydefault HD implies the game has actual HD lighting and textures. Skyward Sword HD is just a resolution upgrade and nothing more.. the bare minimum.

Um, there's no such thing as "HD lighting or textures". Terms such as SD, HD, & 4K factually only refer to resolution (i.e. the pixel count on screen). More detailed textures & lighting are certainly more appreciable in higher resolutions, but don't determine whether or not something is "HD".

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

VoidofLight

@RR529 There are HD textures. As for Lighting, I guess there's no such thing as "HD" lighting, but at the same time, the lighting engine is usually reworked for remasters, and same as textures. "HD" textures are higher resolution, or sharper images, which this game seems to not have, as it's still using the Wii textures, or lower resolution textures from the Wii game.

Edited on by VoidofLight

kkslider5552000

I think the problem with this conversation is that "remaster" and "remake" are mostly arbitrary terms that don't consistently mean anything beyond the most "technically true" aspects of what those words mean (if even that). They also mean the same thing sometimes.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

skywake

VoidofLight wrote:

@RR529 There are HD textures. As for Lighting, I guess there's no such thing as "HD" lighting, but at the same time, the lighting engine is usually reworked for remasters, and same as textures. "HD" textures are higher resolution, or sharper images, which this game seems to not have, as it's still using the Wii textures, or lower resolution textures from the Wii game.

Except SSHD does have higher resolution textures so there's that....

Also on the topic of NSO and N64/GC/Wii? Of course it's technically possible for them to expand NSO to include more platforms, I can definitely see N64 being part of that. Although I can also see Nintendo playing around with "premium" paid content "exclusive" to NSO subscribers. Not unlike what Disney and others have been doing lately with early access content on their subscription services.

Basically, I could see Nintendo making a VC of sorts for GC/Wii available to NSO subscribers. Either a price per game or an additional sub ontop of NSO to access it. I also think that the 3D All Stars limited run could be them testing the waters on how users would react to limited run classic games. I wouldn't be surprised if they did something similar with a new NSO VC style service. If you are subscribed during this period and/or brought it during that period? You have that game on your Switch for good. If you didn't, you missed out.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

link3710

@RR529 HD Textures would be any texture that doesn't appear blurry when used in a game rendered in HD. So the size of the texture isn't fixed, but relative to how close to the camera it should get in normal gameplay.

@rallydefault Then we are at a standstill. For example, I'd consider NSMBU Deluxe a port despite having fundamental changes to it's control scheme and a resolution boost. Same with Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition (from the 3DS version, not the Wii U version). Or Wonderful 101, which also revamped controls to use picture in picture to emulate Wii U features.

@skywake Does SSHD have higher res textures? I compared it to the game running uprezed on Dolphin with identical sprites. and didn't see anything different other than the UI. But it's also hard to compare against a compressed trailer admittedly, so I'm not certain.

link3710

skywake

@link3710
https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/nintendo-switch/skyward_s...

It's probably not something you'll notice in motion, particularly in trailers or on a smaller screen. Also it's not going to be anywhere near as noticeable as the higher render resolution and increased framerate. But it is a thing, they did increase the texture resolution

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

rallydefault

@link3710
Indeed we are. If you consider controller-to-controller or controller-to-keyboard input remapping the same thing as offering non-motion controls for a game whose entire gameplay loop depended on motion controls, I don't really know where to find common ground with you.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

link3710

@rallydefault Considering that it's entirely possible to remap the motion controls to gamepad controls in Dolphin, I really don't think it's that big of a deal. Maybe it's because I've already played it with a controller? Idk.

@skywake Thanks. Not very impressive at all, but it is good to know they did at least touch up some textures. We'll see how it looks at launch.

link3710

VoidofLight

I guess the 4/8 direct rumor was just the presentation for No More Heroes III.

Dezzy

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I think the problem with this conversation is that "remaster" and "remake" are mostly arbitrary terms that don't consistently mean anything beyond the most "technically true" aspects of what those words mean (if even that). They also mean the same thing sometimes.

This is very true. Loads of people got annoyed when I called Xenoblade DE a "remaster" rather than a "remake", but there really is no standard definition for either.

I use the term "remake" specifically for when the entire game has been recreated from scratch, so FF7 and RE2 style. Anything that reuses some of the assets from the original, I call a remaster of some kind, and then anything that changes nothing about the original, except maybe resolution and framerate, I call a port.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

VoidofLight

To be fair, Definitive Edition sets the bar pretty high for a remaster of a game honestly. It looks almost like a full on remake of the game, and it's crazy.

VoidofLight

@Snaplocket The textures were improved immensely. They even remade areas entirely, as well as loads of enemy models. You still have the bushes that aren't fully modeled, but I don't really mind that frankly. If you compare the two games, you'll see more differences. The only thing I can think of that looks bad is the resolution itself, but other than that Definitive Edition looks substantially better than Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii.

VoidofLight

@Snaplocket The original was pretty eh looking for a game, due to how big the world was, and how the scope of the game was for the Wii. Definitive Edition finally gives the game the graphical update it deserved honestly.

Euler

Dezzy wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

This is very true. Loads of people got annoyed when I called Xenoblade DE a "remaster" rather than a "remake", but there really is no standard definition for either.

I use the term "remake" specifically for when the entire game has been recreated from scratch, so FF7 and RE2 style. Anything that reuses some of the assets from the original, I call a remaster of some kind, and then anything that changes nothing about the original, except maybe resolution and framerate, I call a port.

I usually just go with an all-encompassing term like “rehash”.

Euler

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic