Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 6,781 to 6,800 of 6,866

link3710

@ToadBrigade Nope, it would not be easier.

Super Mario All Stars is emulated. This means that you basically program a virtual version of the console, which runs the original code.

Now, this is harder than porting of course. But the nice thing about emulation is once you've written the emulator, it can play every single game on the system without any further coding. And having seen the code for this emulator elsewhere, I know they implemented not only features that are required for Super Mario Sunshine (for instance) in the GCN emulator, but also many other more obscure features such as bounding box (which is only used in like, 4 games).

So now, they can proceed to release basically any N64 or GCN game they want (and some Wii), just by tossing the existing ROM file (the data that was on the disc/cart when it was originally released) into the existing emulator. That's how VC worked in previous generations, since they could do one build and suddenly have basically every game on the system working.

That said... Majora's Mask is notably prone to crashing in basically all of NIntendo's official emulations of it, and Twilight Princess is a game that is very difficult to emulate (The minimap doesn't like emulation and the lighting system breaks if you change the resolution of the game), so if we get emulated versions they'll almost certainly be strictly worse than the originals, never mind the prior remakes.

link3710

BenAV

@NintendoByNature Seems like a whole lot of nothing. Wonder if we'll get a Partner Showcase this month or not.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV

NintendoByNature

@BenAV I can see that happening in the next week or so. Even a general direct saying what's up for 2021.

NintendoByNature

Grumblevolcano

@BenAV Well we definitely know there's at least 1 Partner Showcase left before the end of the year given the announcement in the September Partner Showcase. Seems most likely that we get a Partner Showcase by the end of October and then that's it for Partner Showcases this year with any Nintendo event presence in November being a general Direct or Nintendo appearing in the next Xbox event.

The Bethesda purchase and EA Play for Game Pass announcements made me notice that everyone which gets close with Microsoft either gets bought or there's some Game Pass deal of which there's 3 that's not true for currently (Ubisoft, SEGA and Nintendo).

• Ubisoft has focused on Xbox marketing for years now most notably this year when Assassin's Creed Valhalla was hyped up as the big news of the infamous May Inside Xbox and Phil Spencer even appeared on an Ubisoft Forward event. Ubisoft Forward is also an official Xbox youtube playlist.
  • SEGA has been closer with Xbox since last year like with Yakuza (0, Kiwami, Kiwami 2, Like a Dragon) and Phantasy Star Online 2. This is the closest they've been since the OG Xbox days of exclusives like Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon Orta.
  • Nintendo was closer with Xbox since last year. Banjo and Steve in Smash as well as some Xbox exclusives for Switch. Sure there was stuff before then like the Mario Minecraft collaboration on Wii U but I think the more notable signs of being close were during last year and this year.

My guesses are Ubisoft either has Uplay+ on Game Pass or Ubisoft being bought, SEGA having a Game Pass deal including bringing back those OG Xbox exclusives and Switch gets Game Pass/xCloud.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Balta666

@ToadBrigade I would say you should not expect a collection of HD remakes as they will most likely sell those at 60$ each (only in cartrige space would be quite the task)

Balta666

ToadBrigade

@link3710 This shows how little I know about this kind of thing 😂! Thanks for the info.

Hollow Knight for Smash!

StuTwo

link3710 wrote:

@ToadBrigade Nope, it would not be easier.

Super Mario All Stars is emulated. This means that you basically program a virtual version of the console, which runs the original code.

Now, this is harder than porting of course. But the nice thing about emulation is once you've written the emulator, it can play every single game on the system without any further coding. And having seen the code for this emulator elsewhere, I know they implemented not only features that are required for Super Mario Sunshine (for instance) in the GCN emulator, but also many other more obscure features such as bounding box (which is only used in like, 4 games).

So now, they can proceed to release basically any N64 or GCN game they want (and some Wii), just by tossing the existing ROM file (the data that was on the disc/cart when it was originally released) into the existing emulator. That's how VC worked in previous generations, since they could do one build and suddenly have basically every game on the system working.

That said... Majora's Mask is notably prone to crashing in basically all of NIntendo's official emulations of it, and Twilight Princess is a game that is very difficult to emulate (The minimap doesn't like emulation and the lighting system breaks if you change the resolution of the game), so if we get emulated versions they'll almost certainly be strictly worse than the originals, never mind the prior remakes.

The flip side to this is that we know that Nintendo has a clear set of procedures for porting Wii U games to Switch. TP HD and WW HD are likely to be much easier ports than, say, Pikmin 3. Porting those versions also means they don't have to deal with things like the Tingle Tuner references and the more recent code is probably better documented.

I'm certainly expecting that at some point we'll see GCN games on Switch via that emulator. I just don't think that WW and TP will be amongst them. They'd be frankly crazy to when the HD versions exist.

I also think that porting the 3DS games might end up being easier for Nintendo than up-rezzing the original N64 versions and reworking the sprite work (the Mario 64 in 3D All Stars has had some work put into it - it isn't just a ROM chucked into an emulator, even though it is far less work than they could have done).

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Grumblevolcano

There's still no sign of a Sword/Shield soundtrack release despite the current expansion pass content being finished in 3 days. I wonder if perhaps Pokemon is going the Destiny model and each year will have a new expansion pass for Sword/Shield.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@StuTwo Uprezzing the sprite work was most likely as simple as throwing it into an upscaling AI. The only thing that was likely done by hand was the UI and Mario's hat. And maaaaybe the paintings were touched up by hand, but I don't think so.

After a Sunshine's textures were actually updated through the same process, just as much as 64's.

But yeah, the text injection is probably the most laborious part, but even that... Isn't exactly that difficult. I'll give y'all that the GCN duo are less likely due to the inability to upres TP and the tingle tuner in WW. But there's no way its not easier to just upres the N64 games, so long as they don't care about crashing (which based on past releases...)

link3710

link3710

@Grumblevolcano If they do that, they need to start working on the successor system's game now. Cause... Yeah.

...if it means the next game actually gets proper development time though, I'm all for it. I'll just keep ignoring Pokemon til next gen

link3710

GilbertXI

So...it's the 24th already, and there is no sign of a partner direct for October. Is there anybody smarter than me who saw anything about the direct archive being updated? I was actually starting to enjoy them, 2/3 were great. Don't know if I missed anything.

GilbertXI

Grumblevolcano

@GilbertXI Next week is still October, could be on the 29th for example.

Grumblevolcano

link3710

Speaking of Partner Directs, they have to know whether or not Bravely Default II is launching this year or not at this point, they'd need to start manufacturing cartridges soon. I wonder when we'll get confirmation either way...

Edited on by link3710

link3710

BruceCM

That, at least, should be announced soon, since SE said they had news for it soon So, that could well be in a partner direct in the next week ....

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

Grumblevolcano

I think the next Partner Showcase will be today. In the discover tab on the UK eshop it says "Pre-order now!" for Bravely Default II but you can't preorder it currently. So I think the Partner Showcase will be a shadow drop like with July and August (Monster Hunter was probably the only reason September's was streamed) with 1 of the headlines being Bravely Default II.

As for release date, I'm guessing early 2021 (no later than March 26th).

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

jump

Is it 3pm UK time yet ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

ianl579

@Grumblevolcano was right on the money.

Edited on by ianl579

"You feel it? Fawful is also feeling it! I am needing to feel it even more, though!" - The magnificent Fawful

Currently Playing: Iconoclasts (Switch)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic