Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 321 to 340 of 15,881

Dezzy

skywake wrote:

@GyroZeppeli
Sources or not it's almost surely going to happen at some point. Nintendo aren't just going to stop making 2D Zelda games when the last effort still moved close to 4mill units...

That's really not that good for Nintendo though. Especially when you take into account it was an incredibly good game, was the spiritual sequel to a classic, was on a console with a huge install base, AND made good use of the 3D.
It frankly should have sold twice what it did.
When you then take into account how well BotW sold, it seems entirely likely to me that we wont see another 2D Zelda for a while. The most likely next game will be one that reuses the BotW engine and assets imo. Akin to what Majoras Mask did after Ocarina.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

toiletduck

Dezzy wrote:

skywake wrote:

@GyroZeppeli
Sources or not it's almost surely going to happen at some point. Nintendo aren't just going to stop making 2D Zelda games when the last effort still moved close to 4mill units...

That's really not that good for Nintendo though. Especially when you take into account it was an incredibly good game, was the spiritual sequel to a classic, was on a console with a huge install base, AND made good use of the 3D.
It frankly should have sold twice what it did.
When you then take into account how well BotW sold, it seems entirely likely to me that we wont see another 2D Zelda for a while. The most likely next game will be one that reuses the BotW engine and assets imo. Akin to what Majoras Mask did after Ocarina.

Triforce hero was weird in it's reliance on co-op play. I'm pretty sure that really bothered its sales. I never bought it because I have nobody to play it with, let alone two other people at the same time. I'm not interested in playing co-op online with people I don't know. I think my argumentation for not getting this game are pretty mainstream so I'd still say 4m sales is a lot for a game like this.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Dezzy

@toiletduck
4 million was referring to A Link Between Worlds.

toiletduck

@Dezzy ah yeah I read it too fast sorry.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

the_beaver

@Dezzy I think exactly the same. And I don't believe it should take them long, so probably for next year we'll already be playing it.

the_beaver

Dezzy

@the_beaver

That seems overly optimistic. If they want to replicate the huge success of BotW, it'll definitely be over 3 years of development. Depends how much they reuse though. I've said repeatedly they should do a prequel set before the Calamity. That would be quicker to make because it would reuse a lot of stuff.
I don't think they will though. I think it'll be something entirely new that just reuses the game engine and the various assets (textures, generic objects like trees, NPC models etc).

skywake

Dezzy wrote:

skywake wrote:

@GyroZeppeli

That's really not that good for Nintendo though. Especially when you take into account it was an incredibly good game, was the spiritual sequel to a classic, was on a console with a huge install base, AND made good use of the 3D. It frankly should have sold twice what it did.

Don't read too much into install bases, the attach rate on the 3DS wasn't particularly high and the Switch is doing very well on that metric. Consider this, the Switch has ~40% of the install base of the 3DS but Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has sold ~70% as many copies as Mario Kart 7. With the buying habits of the Switch's audience and the rapidly expanding install base? I'd expect a 2D Zelda on Switch to get closer to 6-8mill units.

And in any case, 4mill isn't bad at all especially for a relatively low budget title. It's still well over the sales of Nintendo's second tier of games in terms of sales performance like Metroid Prime, Pikmin, Paper Mario, Kirby, Yoshi. And it's not like Nintendo doesn't see value in revisiting those franchises. It's no Mario Kart but 2D Zelda makes more sense than a lot of games from a sales point of view.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Lemmy_the_Koopa

Dezzy wrote:

That's really not that good for Nintendo though. Especially when you take into account it was an incredibly good game, was the spiritual sequel to a classic, [...]

And that might be also have been a problem. Maybe people that do not read gaming outlets thought they would need to have played the first game. Especially when the game page calls out the it being set in said word, some people might have worried. According to this ( https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/the-legend-of-zelda-a-l... ) article the purchase rate of the original A Link to the Past was (just) 4.61 million. So having the sales of roughly 4 million is wonderful news for a sequel, that late. Sure we can now assume that more people bought / played Zelda, given the Virtual Console on Wii, but I would wager there will be a lot of overlap with the install numbers of those who bought it for Super Nintendo Entertainment System.

Also look at previous sales, Spirit Tracks sold an "abysmal" ~3 mil and Minish Cap, which was also a Top Down Zelda game that got high accolades sold only a "measly" ~2 mil despite the install base on GBA being higher than the 3DS.

Also look at the overall handheld numbers, going ONLY 10 years back from its release, it A Link Between Worlds did wonderful, with only Phantom Hourglass eclipsing it.

Edited on by Lemmy_the_Koopa

Lemmy_the_Koopa

bluemage1989

@skywake i agree that a 2D Zelda is going to sell well but i cant help but feel that a number of factors are going to mean the series is going to mean were not going to see it make an appearance for quite some time.

Firstly i imagine the developers are going to be focused on 3D Zelda, especially after the success of Breath of the Wild. I mean that game captured the attention of a wide audience including many who haven't bought in to the franchise for years, if at all, and I think Breath of the Wild has made the franchise exciting again to a lot of people and Nintendo will want to satisfy the fans of this game and build on that success. Breath of the Wild has created an expectation amongst Switch owners about what the series can provide and i think a lot of people would see a new 2D Zelda as a step back and I just think the number of people who are interested in a 2D entry are dwarfed by the amount of people looking for a Breath of the Wild continuation and at the end of the day Nintendo would be foolish to slow the momentum of the franchise by limiting the appeal to the smaller 2D fanbase especially when in all likelihood those 2D fans are still going to buy a 3D entry.

Then there is the personal wishes of the developers. Breath of the Wild was an incredible success from a gameplay point of view and i imagine the developers probably still have a mountain of ideas they were not able to implement that they would be itching to include in a sequel. 3D Zelda and the power of the Switch allows them to create a world and scenarios on a scale they have not been able to before and i am sure they are as excited as the fans are to see what they can do with the tools at there disposal. There just seems to be so much potential with 3D Zelda at the moment and so much that can be done and i think it would be a poor move for Nintendo to limit the team by pushing 2D Zelda for the sake of having 2D Zelda on the Switch. I do enjoy the 2D Zelda games and i would not want to sound like im hating on it but i think in terms of where they could take 2D Zelda there are few options. A new 2D Zelda would be awesome but i cant see it being much more than a shinier nicer looking version of what has already been done. I am sure it would be fun but its not exactly innovating on the same scale as the 3D counterparts. I mean from a development point of view what could be done with 2D Zelda?? What can be done that is fresh and exciting?? A Link Between Worlds had some nice ideas but did any of them help push it to the next level in terms of sales?? I don't remember seeing people be excited over rental items and the non linear approach to dungeons.

I don't think a 2D Zelda would take long to develop but could the developers handle developing a 2D and 3D Zelda side by side?? The best outcome i could see is Grezzo, who have a good history with the franchise and who with Ever Oasis have shown they can make a good original game, could develop a 2D release while everyone else is focused mainly on the 3D release. I could envision Grezzo maybe taking things down the route of mobile or mobile/Switch which is not necessarily a bad thing.

I think porting Wind Waker HD would be a good and really easy way to keep everyone invested in the series while work on a follow up continues. It might not be on the same scale as Breath of the Wild but Switch owners not familiar with the series are going to find more to like with Wind Waker HD than they are in a 2D Zelda.

Just some random thoughts over a morning coffee. Im no analyst just throwing some thoughts out there and believe me i would love to see a 2D Zelda but right now and for the Switch seems like the wrong place and the wrong time.

Edited on by Eel

bluemage1989

skywake

bluemage1989 wrote:

I don't think a 2D Zelda would take long to develop but could the developers handle developing a 2D and 3D Zelda side by side??.

They've quite litterally been doing that for 20 years....

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

GrailUK

I'm not convinced Nintendo decide on mechanics first before designing gameplay? I would have thought it be the other way around. I mean, I am sure they have tons of left over design from BotW to warrant another game, but that doesn't mean they haven't got other ideas that would suit 2D mechanics more. It is much harder to think 'let's make a 2D Zelda' than ask 'what mechanics would suit these game ideas?' (unless you are taking, ahem, 'inspiration' from another game.)

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

GrailUK

@Whitewatermoose They can keep releasing Windwaker and I'll keep buying it lol.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

DannyBoi

Be awesome if GTA5 was announced in thedirect!

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

Grumblevolcano

An important factor to consider with the Zelda situation is how much of BotW's success is tied to the game being western RPG like.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

troy258

@DannyBoi It could happen but I think they would announce it at E3, I suspect that overwatch is also going to be at this E3

troy258

TheAwesomeBowser

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but as each day passes, it's looking less and less likely that a Direct will happen. If it doesn't happen in the next seven days, it's probably not happening for a few months.

Own up to Joy-Con Drift, Nintendo. We all know it's your fault

troy258

@TheAwesomeBowser next week is the last chance for January, otherwise It's february or march. I don't think it's going to be 3 or 4 months.

troy258

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic