Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 11,481 to 11,500 of 15,734

Kermit1doesmath

I'm happy with what I have now, I'd like to see what the ""next"" Switch thing is though.

All I want on Switch now is Netflix or Disney+ and a Muppet game. (I've put in more hours than I'm willing to admit into the YouTube app on Switch)

dysgraphia awareness human

BruceCM

Part of that might be the next Nintendo basically looks the same, @FragRed .... While I'm pretty sure the next gen version isn't coming for a couple more years, there could still be some other upgrade for this gen
Not sure if that seems likely anymore but it's possible. It'd be great to have an OLED lite, for example, if they don't want to do anything else for the hybrid version

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

FragRed

@BruceCM That’s true on the looks front, but there are still gonna be things about the successor that won’t be the same. A lot of speculation seems to be around what chipset is used every time Nvidia shows something new but there’s nothing leaked about the actual internals. I do think Nintendo will do something next year regarding the current Switch, be it a OLED Lite or just an even cheaper variant which will become the main system going forward once the successor launches. Kinda like how they did with 2DS.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

westman98

If a new Switch revision or successor is imminent, major leaks will start happening very soon.

Based on the Nvidia data breach from earlier this year, we know some details about the GPU of the next Switch hardware:
> Codenamed T239, nicknamed "Drake"
> Runs on Nvidia's Ampere GPU architecture
> Based off of Nvidia's Orin SoC
> Has 1536 CUDA cores (the Switch's Maxwell GPU has 256 CUDA cores)
> Includes tensor cores for DLSS
> Includes RT cores for ray-tracing

Beyond this, everything else about the next Switch is shrouded in mystery.

@FragRed
People had Switch dev-kits in 2012? You mean 2016?

Edited on by westman98

westman98

link3710

@Kermit1 I was about to ask what a Muppet game would even look like, but then I thought of having a 'Great Muppet Caper' inspired VN with Kermit and Fozzie as detectives, and now I really want that. I do think that whatever form it takes, the game would need to really lean into the Muppet's sense of humor to work.

link3710

FragRed

@westman98 Hm you maybe correct that it wasn’t as early as 2012. I thought I read somewhere some developer had dev kits several years prior to its release but I can’t find the article.

That GPU seems pretty powerful for a Switch successor. Such a massive jump in terms of power especially with ray tracing (I assume that’s what RT stands for), something even beefy PCs and current generation PlayStation and Xbox can just about handle. Just wonder how likely it is Nintendo would want anything that’s such a big leap forward.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

westman98

@FragRed
IIRC Nintendo first started sending Switch dev-kits to most 3rd party publishers in summer 2016. The Switch didn't exist in 2012 - heck, the Wii U didn't even launch until late 2012.

westman98

FragRed

@westman98 That’s pretty late, thought Ubisoft at least had their hands on it earlier considering they were developing Mario + Rabbids.

westman98

@FragRed
You don't necessarily need dev kits to begin game development. A lot of pre-priduction in particular is fairly conceptual.

PS5 dev-kits didn't start going out to most 3rd party publishers until late 2019.

westman98

Grumblevolcano

I thought of another possibility of why Nintendo chose not to do a general Direct, to avoid the question of when is Advance Wars coming. If you look back to September 2021, Advance Wars wasn't in the Direct which was a sign the game wasn't launching in December 2021 and then the delay to Spring 2022 was confirmed in October 2021.

These shadow drop announcements like Kirby's Dream Buffet means you don't know how far away Advance Wars is from launch because Nintendo could just randomly shadow drop a trailer with a new release date. Meanwhile a June/July general Direct with the game absent would tell you it's not launching until 2023 at the earliest.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

jump

@Grumblevolcano I don't think that's it, they went years without worrying about people asking for BOTW2, Metroid Prime 4 and Bayoneta 3 in the Directs let alone a small franchise like Advance Wars. They have also announced games post E3 Direct for release within the same year before.

The best thing that has ever happened to it is being delayed as more people are talking about it now because "pOliTicZ" than would ever actually play the game. lol

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

FragRed

If Nintendo are shadow dropping trailers for games coming out this year, they may not be looking to do any general Directs until next year but instead just do partner showcases for third party releases.

link3710

@FragRed I wouldn't think so. All the shadow drops are for games that would be too late to announce in a September direct.

My guess is that their planned tentpole release for the June direct had to be delayed, so they're just piecing out the other announcements. Kirby Spinoff + Bayo 3 release date + Mario Kart DLC (presumably) + the Partner Showcase contents lacks anything with the wow factor you'd expect from a regular direct.

link3710

Grumblevolcano

If we look at what'll happen before September:

• Release date for Kirby's Dream Buffet
  • MK8 Deluxe DLC wave 2 (probably given the 7-Eleven ad)
  • More info on Scarlet/Violet (maybe trailer, maybe Pokemon Presents)
  • August's NSO N64 game
  • Lots of Splatoon 3 info (Splatoon 3 Direct)
  • Any other unannounced 1st party titles for 2022 being announced
  • Probably an Indie World presentation
  • Maybe more Partner Showcases (leaning towards no given the wording in the June one)

So my guess is:

• Rest of this week - MK8 Deluxe DLC wave 2 (shadow drop on Friday around 1am UK time), maybe if Prime is real then that is announced tomorrow
  • Week beginning July 18th - Live a Live releases
  • Week beginning July 25th - XC3 releases
  • Week beginning August 1st - Splatoon 3 Direct
  • Week beginning August 8th - Kirby's Dream Buffet gets a release date announced at the Kirby 30th anniversary concert
  • Week beginning August 15th - Pokemon Presents
  • Week beginning August 22nd - Indie World, August NSO N64 game announced
  • Week beginning August 29th - General Direct (September 1st is a Thursday)

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NintendoByNature

You might be onto something. Just waiting on the Advance Wars release date and where it all fits over the next 6-9 months. Maybe a release date at the next general direct.

NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

Probably an indie world in the next few weeks is my guess.

NintendoByNature

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic