Forums

Topic: Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

Posts 241 to 260 of 627

Eel

@link3710 well every other game so far has had controller options, so it could be part of the main game as I mentioned. I can get used to the new scheme either way though.

Playing the demo, I think it's clear they've combined all the modes from the original (history, free play, bazaar, adventure) into the one map of hyrule. That's quite interesting. Though it could get cluttered eventually I suppose.

I still hope they'll expand upon it with dlc though.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Dezzy

Mixed feelings.

Positives:
-The presentation and cutscenes are brilliant.
-The graphics look slightly improved on the original game.
-They've made the environments so much more detailed and interesting to explore.

Negatives:
-Framerate as a mess.
-The pop-in in the background nearly sent me into a coma.
-Gameplay is almost identical to the first Hyrule Warriors. Not really anything new here so far.

I'll probably get it at some point. But there's no way this will compete with Cyberpunk at christmas.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

TheFrenchiestFry

Oh boy pop in

In a Koei Tecmo Musou game

Who would've thought. It's not like FE Warriors and Persona 5 Scramble had this exact issue lmao

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Eel

I honestly didn't even notice the frame rate. And the pop in is expected, I suppose.

Then again, I am perfectly capable of enjoying the first game on an original model 2DS, so I suppose I have some level of immunity to these issues.

The gameplay is definitely not identical though. It uses the same base, but there's some notable changes, like how items and runes work compared to HW1, and how every character now has a unique action mapped to ZR.

Edit: haha ok I found some more obvious frame rate dips when playing as Impa in a level with a lot of explosives. Those were easy to see.

Impa's moveset is bonkers btw. It's quite overwhelming.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Dezzy

Eel wrote:

Then again, I am perfectly capable of enjoying the first game on an original model 2DS,

What frequency is your brain running at?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Eel

@Dezzy hah, with that game the low framerate only a problem when you compare it directly with the same game on another system at the same time.

Playing it on it's own bubble, it's not that bad. Good for a quick session.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

link3710

Eel wrote:

The gameplay is definitely not identical though. It uses the same base, but there's some notable changes, like how items and runes work compared to HW1, and how every character now has a unique action mapped to ZR.

I was about to bring that up. Plus, the whole game no longer revolves around weakpoint gauges (it's significantly rebalanced to allow for other tactics to work), and (on hard mode at least), I got wrecked by normal minions several times because I underestimated them. Luckily the first mission was kind with healing items but... This game definitely feels like it has more depth.

As for the frame rate, it's fine enough for me. I think I saw one noticable slowdown as Impa, but w/e. I'd rather the game be supremely flashy than tone it down for frame rate, it is a warriors game. Plus, this is definitely the same build they've been showing for awhile, hopefully the final build will play at least somewhat better.

link3710

Snatcher

Hey guys how long is the demo?

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Eel

About an hour or two I'd say.

Two main missions plus 3 mini missions. With a total of three rather different characters you can use in any of them (after completing them once).

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

BongoBongo123

From the demo, its clear that AOC is a labour of love. The story isn't as cringey as in BOTW and I'm sure they'll be a difficulty spike at some point and then the s**t really hits the fan in terms of lore. The gameplay is so much fun and the abilities have integrated the runes and combat from BOTW so well. I will be playing this mainly for the story but feel £50 is a bit steep if I'm being honest.

BongoBongo123

WoomyNNYes

the swords last too long 😠

i made 14 strikes with the sword and it still acts like it's new. what is this garbage?

(🤪)(it's pretty cool, I like it so far.)For my UK people, garbage=rubbish. XD

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

toiletduck

@WoomyNNYes how's the rain when you just start climbing?

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

kkslider5552000

link3710 wrote:

I was about to bring that up. Plus, the whole game no longer revolves around weakpoint gauges

Oh thank god. Having to rely on random attacks from bosses, especially in the harder missions, in order to get that was the most unfair part of the original game.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Eel

To be fair, the strongest attacks are still tied to the weakpoint gauge.

It's just not limited to appearing after 45 random moves or using the right item at the right time. (Though that's still there).

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

redd214

Loved the demo! Was great to be back in that world and hear/see all those familiar things. May not get it at launch but this is a definite buy!

redd214

BruceCM

Yeah, they should break after half a dozen strikes, @WoomyNNYes....

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Ralizah

Played this for about an hour or so. It's interesting.

What's the point of ordering AI allies to go somewhere? Do they actually kill enemies and level up on their own?

The visuals are pretty gorgeous, but the constant framerate dips don't surprise me, since it feels like there's constantly 50+ character models on-screen at any one time while battling. I actually have zero issue with pop-in, so I hope the full version comes with a performance mode or something that reduces the number of monster on-screen at a given time and maybe stabilizes the framerate a bit.

I kind of like the base building and RPG elements, where you're expanding your move-set, gaining access to new vendors, etc.

This maybe feels like it'll be good for people who didn't care for the lack of narrative in BotW, because this game feels like it's filled with cutscenes and narrative so far. The time travel aspect is weird, though. Is this not going to be a proper prequel, but instead an AU sort of deal where the calamity is prevented altogether?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Eel

@Ralizah they can defend or take forts, and defeat enemies for you. They’re just not as fast at it as you, of course.

It is also used to cover ground, since it’s way faster to switch to a character that is already on the other side of the map than running everywhere as one single character.

I’m assuming the time travel aspect isn’t gonna affect much of the overall story, since the one traveling is a little non-verbal robot. For all we know, it could be stuck in an endless loop, the poor thing. It would be cool to have a happier alternate ending to go with the canon bad ending though.

I bet the evil mini guardian from one cutscene is the same robot, too.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

WoomyNNYes

@toiletduck I only played for 5 minutes. It starts in hyrule field, and it wouldn't let me climb a stone monument, and it's only sunny weather there. That's all I can vouch for so far. The game opening is pretty awesome with calamity cutscenes & guardians. There's a mini guardian (a good guy) and it's sound effects appear inspired by the golden robot owl's hooting in the Clash of the Titans movie. Both clips below pasted to play at relevant time stamp, so no waiting or searching needed.

age of calamity cutscene with mini guaridan

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Ralizah

@Eel Oh cool. That makes sense!

I really hope you're right, and it sticks to BotW canon. I'd prefer this expand the mythology of the original while also sticking to its powerful narrative arc that'll end up setting up post-apocalyptic Hyrule.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic