Forums

Topic: Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

Posts 141 to 160 of 627

link3710

@Giancarlothomaz This isn't a first-party title though. Besides which, it's the same size as it's predecessor. That should be what you compare it against.

@I-U In addition to what Eel mentioned on later added story chapters, in the original release, Ganondorf was only playable in either 1 or 2 levels (I forget which).

That said, for choices like Lord of the Mountain, you're more likely to see it added as DLC than part of the main campaign I'd think? Though with the original having playable Agatha, nothing's really impossible.

link3710

Dezzy

Giancarlothomaz wrote:

why the file size of this game is so huge?15.3 GB that is almost half of Switch internal memory, is Nintendo going to add full voice acting in cutscene and gameplay?

Well the main things that take up a lot of space are textures, audio and video. There's probably no video because all cutscenes will be in-engine. So either it has a LOT of spoke dialogue in cutscenes, or there are just quite a lot of different areas in the game that use a lot of different textures.
I'm guessing the second.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

HobbitGamer

Hyrule Warriors had cgi vids, though. Dunno why this wouldn't.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Euler

Better have Kass as an unlockable novelty character. Yeah yeah, he wasn't alive 100 years ago but they already went "lol nothing matters" with the first one.

Euler

Dezzy

HobbitGamer wrote:

Hyrule Warriors had cgi vids, though. Dunno why this wouldn't.

There was never any good reason for it to though. All of that could've been done in-engine too.

This game wouldn't because it's trying to match the appearance of BotW, which had no CGI.

Eel

Hyrule Warriors on WiiU had most of the cutscenes done in-engine (basically everything that happened in the middle of gameplay).

Every other version switched to pre-rendered cutscenes though.

Interestingly, even though the victory and vs cutscenes have always been in-engine for Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors on the 3DS had ALL the cutscenes prerendered, even those.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

link3710

@Dezzy I'm actually kinda laughing at that. Of course BotW has CGI, the whole game is CGI. But that aside, the fact that they're trying to match BotW so closely may mean that it does have pre-rendered cutscenes... specifically, ones rendered in the main BotW engine, so that way it matches perfectly.

Not sure if it's likely or not, but it would make sense if they did.

@Euler If there's no playable Kass and Sidon, I'll be very disappointed. Kinda hoping for Hestu, Kohga, Teba and Riju as well, but yeah, I'd hope K-T is well aware that Kass and Sidon are the fan favorites from the modern era. They seemed very in touch with the fandom when making Hyrule Warriors (save the lack of Groose), so I have hope.

link3710

Dezzy

@link3710

Right, the usage of the term CGI obviously doesn't align with its literal meaning at this point.

I don't see why they'd feel the need to render cutscenes elsewhere. They're obviously using the same art style for the whole thing. Nintendo have obviously given them a lot of assets from the main game too, so I think it'll end up looking almost identical even if it's not the same engine.

Eel

Well, Breath of the Wild uses pre-rendered cutscenes for every memory and major events. It's just plain easier to control how things will look that way.

For this one, depending on how much they plan to bring over and recreate, it could be easier to just use the places from the original as backdrops for a few scenes.

I expect them to use their own environments though, to prevent inconsistencies.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

link3710

@Dezzy points at what Eel said

If BotW used prerendered cutscenes, and presumably BotW2 will as well, and the cutscenes are supposed to look like those games, I find it unlikely we won't see the same sort of thing in AoC. I'm not saying they'll all be prerendered (there will almost certainly be mid-level cutscenes a la Hyrule Warriors), but I think a good number being prerendered is quite likely.

link3710

Dezzy

@Eel

You sure it uses pre-rendered? Do we have confirmation on that. They look like they could easily be in-engine to me.

Eel

The fact you can just go and watch them at any point without going into a loading screen should be a hint.

Anyhow, looking for confirmation, I found this article about people modding the game:

https://kotaku.com/ambitious-mod-reworks-breath-of-the-wild-t...

Zelda only appears in pre-rendered cutscenes during the game, and they could not find a full Zelda model in the game’s files.

And this page sharing the one full model Zelda does have in the game (her white dress):

https://www.models-resource.com/wii_u/thelegendofzeldabreatho...

Before people ask, her blue tunic outfit is unfortunately NOT in the game files. The videos in the game that show her in that outfit are not playing in real time. Nintendo most likely removed it to save space on the disc/cart.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Dezzy

@Eel

Oh yeah, there's no loading at all. You're right. Must be pre-rendered I guess.

Eel

Oh yes, the model absolutely exists. It's just not within the files of Breath of the Wild, because it was only ever used when creating the memories, so there was no reason to keep it in the final game.

But Nintendo would never get rid of it entirely. We'll likely get to see it in action, or something closely based on it, in this game.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

BongoBongo123

Varkster wrote:

The Musou series may not be for everyone, but I highly disagree with people stating as fact that it's just boring nonsense and all grind. All of the Warriors games in my eyes have some of the best video game creativity out there. They may not have the highest budget or the best cutscenes, but they do genuinely feel like a lot of love has been put into them and their characters (aside from DW9, that game is atrocious).

I'm really excited for this one, I think it's going to be a blast. It's also worth mentioning that this is the first time, from memory, that Koei is attempting at a canon story from any IP they do not own. It's very interesting to see what they can do with that, given they're working closely with Nintendo to make the game accurate to Breath of the Wild.

It's also interesting to see how they will make a memorable story with a bleak ending. We all know what happens to the champions and Hyrule at the end of the game, but like seen with games like Halo: Reach and Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, it's not about the outcome, it's about how you tell that story and build it up to the inevitably dark ending.

This gives opportunity to both teams to elaborate on what transpired and have more character development than what was offered in Breath of the Wild. If the trailer is anything to go by, the Warriors team are putting heavy focus on the narrative of the game and are treating it rather seriously, it's not just going to all be wacky 1000v1 fights without substance.

Who knows, maybe they can even reveal some new characters which could be canon in Breath of the Wild 2 when that game arrives. Stranger things have happened, look at Half-Life: Alyx where in a prequel they happened to connect the dots to the ending of Episode 2 with promise to continue the game from there.

Very intrigued by this and looking forward to when they release more information (which happens to be quite soon).

Edit: Oh, and also, this game looks visually stunning. I really never expected a Musou game to look this good. When Hyrule Warriors came out I thought that was the absolute height of what they could do with the series, but this trailer blew me away. I'd argue in some areas it looks even better than Breath of the Wild.

Isn't Persona 5 Scramble a Musou game that is cannon?

I also appreciate Musou games, loved Samurai Warriors Chronicles on 3ds. Think it ran a lot better than Hyrule Warriors Legends.

BongoBongo123

Eel

The original Hyrule Warriors game is accepted to be non-canon to the main Zelda timeline(s). However, the developers did go out of their way to make the game fit comfortably in timeline, specially in the original version of the game.

The main story (even if you use the original DLC characters) only ever references events that happened in the child timeline (skyward sword->ocarina of time->majoras mask->twilight princess), and the Wind Waker locations and characters are specifically mentioned to come from a "different dimension".

So, while it's not official, if the player so desires, they can place it somewhere in the timeline.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Giancarlothomaz

@jump how a prequel of Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild that use Hyrule Warriors gameplay can't be considered a first party game for Switch, is because Koei Tecmo publish the game in Japan and Nintendo publish the game worldwide? even if Hyrule Warriors:Age of Calamity is a game publish by Koei Tecmo in Japan and worldwide by Nintendo, this game is considered first party, since is a prequel to the game that is gonna become the basis of future Zelda games

@jump well Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild don't specify how is the lifespan of a Rito, we know that Zoras can live for a longer period of time, the same could happen with Rito, can game could say that like Zoras Rito can live up to 100 years or more, Nintendo know that Kass is a beloved character of the franchise, they will problaby find a way to play with Kass or it mentor.

i like HD Rumble.

@BongoBongo123 Persona 5 Phatom Thief Scramble can be considered canon since it continue the Persona 5 story only with Dynasty Warriors gameplay, is a rare situation like Hyrule Warriors:Age of Calamity when a spin-off is considered canon to the franchise they are making.

Edited on by Eel

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

Eel

The Rito probably have normal human-like lifespans, perhaps shorter? Nothing really suggest otherwise in the game.

Also please do avoid posting multiple times in a row.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

link3710

@Northwind I think the point, when it comes to canon, is that Hyrule Warriors was that the plot (canon or not) was basically designed mostly to service the fanservice. Whereas Age of Calamity's plot is in fact a relevant story likely to be filled with characters who develop as the story progresses in their own right.

That's not to say one is strictly better than the other, I loved Hyrule Warriors and the sheer volume of Zelda love it managed to stuff into a single cartridge. But the developers have a very different goal with this game, (like P5 Scramble as was mentioned), in actually expanding upon the world in meaningful ways rather than just revisiting what was already established.

link3710

jump

@Giancarlothomaz it being canon or not is completely irrelevant to if the game is first party or not since it is literally defined by who has developed the game.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic