Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Rise

Posts 401 to 420 of 478

JaxonH

@Northwind
Well, they haven’t actually specified we need to rescan. The video said, “also, you can enter a daily lottery”. It’s a fair assumption we’ll need to rescan, and I’m thinking that’s a likely outcome, but that is just an assumption, for now anyways.

Also, irrespective of the quality of content or opinions of being artificial, it is still content. And if we’re talking about what you get in terms of content, it would be remiss to simply omit the fact you do indeed get more than just layered armor. Personally I don’t really care whether or not I have to rescan. I mean, ya it’s less hassle if you don’t, but it takes like five seconds either way so, it’s really not an issue to me.

I’m not entirely convinced they’re worried about reselling, as the amiibo allotments always sell out regardless. Plus again, we don’t know if we even have to rescan yet anyways.

But ya, the item lottery is actually far more valuable to me than a single layered armor set. Not that the armor set isn’t appreciated, but items in MH are like currency. Good as gold. If I can get a steady passive income of random items, that’ll actually come in quite handy.

PLAYING
NS: Sniper Elite 4, Hyrule Warriors AoC, Pikmin 3, Ori Will of the Wisps
PC: MH World
PS5: Persona 4 Dancing
EXCITED FOR
NS: MH Rise, MH Stories 2, SMTV, Trails of Cold Steel 4, Ys IX, Neo TWEWY, Bravely Default 2

Jesus is Lord.

Northwind

@JaxonH, I’m definitely not denying that it’s content. But the context in which it was presented, I read as ‘this is a reason you’ll need/want to scan the amiibo more than once’. If they haven’t specified that you’ll have to rescan every time, then I’d wager it probably isn’t the case; as I mentioned, games with near-identical functionality have set a precedent for rescanning not being necessary. OTOH, if rescanning is necessary, then yes that’s an artificial hurdle - not because it’s not content, but because there’s no reason rescanning should be necessary if the data on the amiibo chip itself isn’t changing (ie. if the player isn’t writing any data to the amiibo chip).

If rescanning is necessary, that goes against both how other games with the same mechanic do it and against common sense regarding how amiibo work - so I‘d really have to wonder why they’d do it that way. It’s an extra step for the player that has no obvious reason to be there (ie. it’s not a challenge, it doesn’t require an additional purchase, etc.).

If rescanning is not necessary, then that’s definitely better overall but in that case this entire sub-convo is moot because my original point holds.

Autocorrect keeps causing me to write things I didn't Nintendo.

My Nintendo: Northwind | Twitter:

JaxonH

@Northwind
Your original point was your personal opinion on how you view content. Your point holds for you, certainly, but not necessarily for anyone else. That opinion doesn’t make discussion moot. After all, opinions are the driving force of discussion. If anything, your original point (your personal viewpoint) makes discussion desirable.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Sniper Elite 4, Hyrule Warriors AoC, Pikmin 3, Ori Will of the Wisps
PC: MH World
PS5: Persona 4 Dancing
EXCITED FOR
NS: MH Rise, MH Stories 2, SMTV, Trails of Cold Steel 4, Ys IX, Neo TWEWY, Bravely Default 2

Jesus is Lord.

Northwind

JaxonH wrote:

@Northwind
Actually, the amiibo aren’t one time use.

They’re one time use for special layered armor, but after that you can scan daily for a lottery of items.

No, my original point was about the price, not about ‘how I view content’. My subsequent point was in response to this quoted passage, and was also not about what is or is not content; that point was about artificial hurdles or hoops added by developers that have no reason to exist. Neither of these have anything to do with ‘how I view content’. (One might argue that these points have to do with access to content, but they have nothing to do with that content itself and would remain exactly the same regardless of what that ‘content’ is or how one viewed it.)

I agree that opinions are the driving force of discussion. That’s why it makes me so upset when you misrepresent mine.

ETA: Going forward, I’d really appreciate it if you’d read what I’ve actually said before mentioning me. I never said the content was artificial. I said the ‘use’ (as in, the use of the amiibo) was artificial, and I explained precisely why. All of those comments are still posted, so anyone who cares to can verify what I actually said - and I’m always willing to clarify when asked if what I’ve said is unclear to someone. But, seeing as this is not the first time you’ve misrepresented what I’ve said despite it being posted and verifiable, I would like to respectfully request that you read more carefully in the future.

Edited on by Northwind

Autocorrect keeps causing me to write things I didn't Nintendo.

My Nintendo: Northwind | Twitter:

Tyranexx

@Northwind The one in the town I'm near is still thankfully open, though with restrictions; I typically only use it to buy used games and offload games that aren't worth the hassle of selling on eBay. The next closest one is a 35-40 minute drive. There used to be another in a different direction, but that one closed down years ago.

I figure it's only a matter of time before the entire chain goes under. I'm mixed about that. On one hand, I dislike many of the company's practices and corporate decisions. On the other, that would result in many lost jobs, plus that would only leave Walmart as the brick and mortar store of choice for game purchases here. No Targets or Best Buys within short driving distance.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Secret of Mana (CoM/Switch), Pushmo

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

JaxonH

@Northwind
I gotcha. Didn’t mean to misrepresent. Just misunderstood, no worries. Being the second time I’ve seen you say there’s no point in further discussion to me, that provoked in me the need to express just how much I hate when discussion is shut down because an opinion differs, and in the process didn’t realize you were referring to something else.

edit
Was that edited lecture after I apologized for an unintentional misunderstanding really necessary?

I've not misrepresented you before. Furthermore, misunderstanding is not misrepresenting. I did read everything you said. Misundersfandings happen. That doesnt mean I didnt read what you said, or didnt read it carefully enough. The notion that, "you would have understood if only you read more carefully" is... let's just say, is high minded

I'm not going to ask for clarification if your post didnt seem unclear. It seemed perfectly clear. I just misunderstood. These things happen. I apologized. Proceeding to then lecture me about reading is poor form. Learn to accept an apology gracefully rather than using the opportunity to get on a high horse lecture.

And it doesnt really matter if you said "the use" is artificial or not, that was never the point. The point was you misrepresented the amiibo content, and used the "artificial use" to excuse your intentional omission once I pointed out layered armor is NOT all you get, despite your claims.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Sniper Elite 4, Hyrule Warriors AoC, Pikmin 3, Ori Will of the Wisps
PC: MH World
PS5: Persona 4 Dancing
EXCITED FOR
NS: MH Rise, MH Stories 2, SMTV, Trails of Cold Steel 4, Ys IX, Neo TWEWY, Bravely Default 2

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

@Northwind
I think we got off on the wrong foot, and for trivial reasons I dont think either of us meant to offend. Can we start over? I just want to get along.

How does that sound to you 😀

PLAYING
NS: Sniper Elite 4, Hyrule Warriors AoC, Pikmin 3, Ori Will of the Wisps
PC: MH World
PS5: Persona 4 Dancing
EXCITED FOR
NS: MH Rise, MH Stories 2, SMTV, Trails of Cold Steel 4, Ys IX, Neo TWEWY, Bravely Default 2

Jesus is Lord.

Northwind

JaxonH wrote:

edit
Was that edited lecture after I apologized for an unintentional misunderstanding really necessary?

Are you being deliberately confrontational? Look at the timestamps of my edit and your response. Think about how edits work on NL - that is, they're conducted on a separate screen from the forum page itself. Do you think I saw your response before submitting the edit?

JaxonH wrote:

I've not misrepresented you before.

Yes, you have. Out of politeness I didn't call you out on it quite as blatantly at the time (though I did mention it at the time) - and I'm not going to necropost now - but you have. A misunderstanding is one thing, but when you publicly state that someone has said something they have not said or that they meant something they did not mean (and, in this case, have repeatedly clarified they did not mean), that's misrepresentation. Like, that's the definition of the word.

JaxonH wrote:

And it doesnt really matter if you said "the use" is artificial or not, that was never the point. The point was you misrepresented the amiibo content, and used the "artificial use" to excuse your intentional omission once I pointed out layered armor is NOT all you get, despite your claims.

Please do not presume to tell me that something was 'never the point' when it was my point all along and I've repeatedly clarified this already - particularly if you're going to also insist you're not misrepresenting what I've said. When I referred to the 'use' I was referring to the need to scan the amiibo multiple times, which is something you presented as fact as being necessary and then later admitted you were merely guessing. If scanning the amiibo multiple times is necessary, that is an artificial use. It is an extra hurdle put to the player toward accessing the content that has no in-game reason to be there, evidenced by the fact that other games with effectively the same mechanic do not require scanning of the amiibo more than once. It is a 'use' of the amiibo that has no in-game reason to exist, just an 'artificial' way of getting the player to take the amiibo off a shelf and to prevent players from reselling the amiibo to recoup their costs. It's an articial use. What kind of 'content' is unlocked by doing so is irrelevant to this point. That's not saying that what is unlocked is not 'content'. I didn't 'omit' to recognise that layered armour is not all you get from the amiibo; I just didn't bring it up because it's not relevant to my point. Furthermore, for you to accuse me of not just an 'omission' (which wasn't really an omission at all, any more than my not mentioning the existence of Light Bowgun as a weapon type was) - but for you to in fact accuse me of an intentional omission - is, quite frankly, disgusting. My point was never about 'content', no matter how much you insist it was. I've explained this multiple times here in this thread, and those explanations are still visible for anyone to verify. Funny to see you saying you've never misrepresented me before and then to misrepresent me once again in the same edit.

ETA: The context of my stating that the use was articial was in response to this:

JaxonH wrote:

Actually, the amiibo aren’t one time use.

They’re one time use for special layered armor, but after that you can scan daily for a lottery of items.

I was responding to your statement that the amiibo are not one-time use by pointing out that there's no in-game reason for them not to be so if they're truly not one-time use then every use after the first is 'artificial'. It's a hurdle put before the player that has no in-game purpose. It only exists so to force the player to scan the amiibo more than once even though they should not have to. As I've clarified multiple times already, THAT was my point. It has nothing to do with what content is unlocked.

EDIT 2: For the sake of having everything in one place, here is the point as I originally made it:

Northwind wrote:

@JaxonH, I’m aware, but I also consider that an ‘artificial’ use. For comparison, FE3H has effectively the exact same mechanic but only requires the amiibo be scanned once and then you get random items every in-game month across all your save files. There’s no reason that Rise or any other game could not do it the same.

As I've repeatedly clarified, my point was the use is artificial because amiibo functionality allows the daily lottery to be unlocked with just a single scan, the same scan that unlocks the armour. This is analogous to FE3H, where a single scan unlocks both a one-time bonus (music tracks) and recurring bonuses. There is no obvious reason Rise could not do the same.

JaxonH wrote:

@Northwind
I think we got off on the wrong foot, and for trivial reasons I dont think either of us meant to offend. Can we start over? I just want to get along.

How does that sound to you 😀

I'm not the type to hold a grudge, so at some point in the future maybe. For now, though, this comes across a bit like the person who makes a bunch of bad-faith arguments and then says 'Can we agree to disagree?', thus making their opponent look like an ***** if they decide to call out the bad-faith arguments. (Yes, this is a known discussion tactic, and it's the kind of thing that trained debaters can often recognise as underhanded but others - even those who do it - often overlook; it's not always or even usually deliberate, but it's still a bad-faith discussion tactic so it's something everyone should be vigilant about not doing, even inadvertently.)

For now, I would appreciate it if you'd stop mentioning me so I can have a bit of time to cool down. I personally don't like discussing from a place of high emotion, and after those last mentions I'm a bit heated.

Edited on by Northwind

Autocorrect keeps causing me to write things I didn't Nintendo.

My Nintendo: Northwind | Twitter:

Northwind

(Also, I do apologise to everyone else on this topic for that wall of text. As they say in the science communication field, 'the amount of words needed to refute b*llsh*t is an order of magnitude greater than the amount of words needed to utter it'. )

Edited on by Northwind

Autocorrect keeps causing me to write things I didn't Nintendo.

My Nintendo: Northwind | Twitter:

Spanjard

Guys, go play some Iceborn and chill out a bit.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Ryu_Niiyama

@Ralizah Did you snag the collector's edition on the second round? Let me know how that goes...I think you are in the US (I'm too lazy to look it up) and I have an Amazon preorder as well as the BB one (I was hoping Amazon may have a lower price by the time it ships) so while I was going to cancel one I can sit on them both if you need.

Also wth happened in here?

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

urrutiap

played little more of post game Generations Ultimate.

Did the G rank *3 Valstrax Urgent with other people online. my hunter rank went up to 12. Nice I guess but there a quest or whatever that raises your hunter rank up to the 100s?

urrutiap

JaxonH

@Northwind
I’ll do you one better and just block you. How’s that.

I’m just done. I apologize and you take the opportunity to lecture. I ask can we start over and you reply in a blazing text wall of fury.

I’m done. No hard feelings. I just don’t have the time or patience for this kind of attitude.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Sniper Elite 4, Hyrule Warriors AoC, Pikmin 3, Ori Will of the Wisps
PC: MH World
PS5: Persona 4 Dancing
EXCITED FOR
NS: MH Rise, MH Stories 2, SMTV, Trails of Cold Steel 4, Ys IX, Neo TWEWY, Bravely Default 2

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

@Ryu_Niiyama
I figured you’d get in on the Collector Edition 😂 The real question is, will you get the special edition Switch if one is announced? I’m not sure how big of a MH fan you are, but there’s no way I can pass up on a MH Switch. Unless they make it super lame like they did on MHGU, which was normal grey joycon with a logo on the back. Easy pass if that’s the case.

I also put in an order for x2 CEs at GS, BestBuy and Amazon. Cancelled the GS order once I secured on Amazon. Don’t plan to keep more than 2, but they always come damaged. So whichever 2 are best condition, I’ll return the other 2.

Anyways, how’s it been going? Feel like I haven’t seen you around in forever until just recently. Last we spoke you were getting the DQ Switch. Feels like a long time ago. Are you a big MH fan? I mean, obviously big enough to get the CE, but, I don’t recall you playing with us back in the MHGU, MHG or MH4U days. Then again, I have a horrible memory, so maybe you did.

PLAYING
NS: Sniper Elite 4, Hyrule Warriors AoC, Pikmin 3, Ori Will of the Wisps
PC: MH World
PS5: Persona 4 Dancing
EXCITED FOR
NS: MH Rise, MH Stories 2, SMTV, Trails of Cold Steel 4, Ys IX, Neo TWEWY, Bravely Default 2

Jesus is Lord.

Northwind

@JaxonH, you have a weird idea of what an apology is. Your ‘apology’ included a false accusation of ‘lecturing’ for an edit I submitted BEFORE YOU’D EVEN RESPONDED (and timestamps prove this), an unevidenced accusation that I’d ‘intentionally omitted’ something (implying intent to deceive), a direct attempt on your part to explain too me what my point was, and countless other false statements about things I’ve said. Literally anyone here can verify that what I’m saying is true if they care to. I’m sorry my response was long, but there was quite a bit of gish-gallop in that ‘apology’ that I wanted to respond to.

I’m so pissed off I’m literally shaking. I told you I was getting a bit heated and asked you not to mention me so I could cool off a bit, and you couldn’t even be arsed to show me that basic courtesy. If you don’t want ‘attitude’, maybe don’t try to tell other people what they meant even when they’re telling you they didn’t mean that? I’d wager that most people would be slightly miffed about that, especially in light of everything else.

Yes, please block me then. Also, I’m going to sign completely out of NL for now, because I don’t want to cause anyone else any trouble here.

Edited on by Northwind

Autocorrect keeps causing me to write things I didn't Nintendo.

My Nintendo: Northwind | Twitter:

Ryu_Niiyama

@JaxonH Howdy. Yeah I left the site for a bit (I still consider myself on vacation but I apparently don't have the self control to stay away after 6 years here), I got tired of all the bickering and I just wasn't having fun here anymore. Anyway.

I actually don't like MH. I started with the Wiiu version, which was interesting, but I felt the movement was very clunky. At first I assumed that I just needed to get used to it, as I play games like Nioh or Way of the samurai which while faster have somewhat stiff movement... but it never clicked. I like the Tokiden games so I kept hoping it would click. I do think some of my lack of enjoyment was due to so many entries being on the 3ds. As you know I'm 3/4 blind (ok some of that is joking but I start out with handicap!) so while I love many of the games that the 3ds has I was the first one to run up with a shovel and declare it dead. My hope is since I liked it the best on wiiu (which isn't saying much) that switch will click...after all I'm back into pokemon now due to the change in console. My other issue is the gameplay loop is boring to me...I like defeating things to protect something/someone but the cosmetic grind doesn't do anything for me.

I do have a weird habit of buying Monster Hunter merch as it is well made. I have the fake leather 3ds holder from I think 4 and it still is in amazing shape despite holding my both my XLs and sometimes my ds lite. That being said I would not buy a limited edition console. I'm trying to cut back on my excess spending so unless it's a Zelda gold system I'm good with my DQ system. As usual though I'm sure I'd like a pair of the joycons. I really wish that Nintendo sold the limited joycons separately. Gamestop had the animal crossing switch near me for 4 hundo and I thought about it just for the joycons...glad I didn't but still. I got the CE, because I decided to jump in on the amiibo if I was going to pick up this game (I didn't do the Stories amiibo) and because I knew it would sell out.

I think my thing with MH is I WANT to like it...but it has not clicked for me. This will be my last try. If it doesn't mesh I'll stick with Stories.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Ulysses

@Spanjard Wish I could upvote a forum comment

The CE for Rise will be my first amiibo! I would like the Palico one as well, but tax + shipping + $20 makes it a hard sell... Unless the layered armor turns out to be incredible of course.

@Ryu_Niiyama That's so funny, I still have that Monster Hunter leather case too! Back in the day I imported it from Play Asia or some other, and the zipper still works wonderfully (usually it's the first bit of hardware to break on unscrupulous products). Yes, it was for MH4, and after I bought it I was forever annoyed that the New3DSXL was just slightly bigger than the base XL since the Monster Hunter N3DS was a tight squeeze.

I feel the same way about the Animal Crossing Switch! Now that it's restocked at $300, I'm desperate to splurge on it even though I know in my mind that I'm waiting until 2021 for a supposed Switch Pro upgrade.

What I am about to pull the trigger on however is the Animal Crossing merch from Play Asia, like the tote bag, etc lol. It's just too cozy

Edited on by Ulysses

Ulysses

JaxonH

@Ryu_Niiyama
That’s fair. I think you’ll like Rise though. It was a hard game to play on 3DS, and it’s a hard series to get into, especially the pre-World entries. World was SO good though, especially for new players. Rise will have all those same advantages- maybe not quite as visually stunning but still, at least for the Switch, visually stunning in its own right.

It’s hard to describe the addiction and fun until you experience it for yourself. If I were to just explain it to you it would probably sound pretty lame because you have no investment. But once you experience the combat after you start getting kind of good, it becomes crazy fun fighting monsters. And the thrill of fighting newer monsters and harder monsters is what drives you to want to get better gear and weapons so you can survive and take out that super hard monster. The fashion is secondary. The combat and fights themselves are the real star of the show, though. And because each hunt plays out differently it never really feels repetitive. At least, not by the time you’ve gotten an armor set or weapon. It will eventually feel repetitive if you keep fighting the same monster 100 times but not after 3-4 times. And even then, it’s only once in a while you even do that. Only when you want new gear. Otherwise you do a quest once and move on. Obviously you’ll fight the monsters once more in higher rank but it kind of feels like a different fight because you’re in a higher rank and they have better moves, and they’re in different quests.

If you need some help starting out, let me know. It really does make a difference having a vet kind of show you the ropes when you’re starting out. Plus I’m sure there’s a lot of others here who would be happy to hunt.

I hear you on cutting back spending. I’ve done the same. Still spend a lot, much MUCH less than I was even a year ago. It helps only buying games on Switch and Steam. I actually have that same MH4U faux leather case, though I never actually used it. Oh, and ya, MH Stories 2 looks really good. It felt horrible not knowing if we’d get a new MH game on Switch after World. I mean, we had leaks, but you never really truly know until it’s announced. When I saw we were getting not one but two new MH games, on top of MHGU which we already have (that’s THREE different exclusive MH games on Switch), it felt like a giant weight lifted off my shoulders.

PLAYING
NS: Sniper Elite 4, Hyrule Warriors AoC, Pikmin 3, Ori Will of the Wisps
PC: MH World
PS5: Persona 4 Dancing
EXCITED FOR
NS: MH Rise, MH Stories 2, SMTV, Trails of Cold Steel 4, Ys IX, Neo TWEWY, Bravely Default 2

Jesus is Lord.

Ryu_Niiyama

@Ulysses Oh no, I'd say welcome to amiibo but it can become an addiction. I have over 100 now...and most of them are in storage (sobs) and every time I say I'm done, something makes me go and put down money again. I actually can't wait for smash to be done to put me out of my misery. ....Although I really hope Impa gets an amiibo for the new Hyrule Warriors.

Got my case from play asia as well. I usually do a "Japanese run" twice a year where I let them (or nin nin or nippon yassan) set fire to my bank account. At least I don't have to buy multiple systems anymore.

@JaxonH I have to say I felt a little excited seeing the Rise footage so I hope you are right. I've been thinking about picking up world since I won't be getting the new systems. I'll put that money towards hard drives so I can actually play my games.

Yeah I lost my job due to covid (got a better paying one to replace it but wiped out my savings in the interim) and I want a house in two years plus I'm about to start classes again so I need that money to go towards more important things. I got lucky that I was underwhelmed by the new twins so I'll be sticking with my 4 and one, and since I have a ton of backlog, I'm hoping that will keep my in the black. That being said things are going well, I just want to take advantage of the extra fundage (and I'm sick of renting). I may try the online play. I keep such odd hours and had negative experiences when I was much younger so I never got into online play beyond fighting games. But I suppose now more than ever, it is a good time to be a social gamer.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Ralizah

@Ryu_Niiyama I thought about it, but I realized that I really didn't care all that much about the amiibo or stickers, so it made no sense to pay the $40 premium. I think I'll probably just download it, since MH games are generally ones I return to a lot (at least, I did on 3DS), and it's nice to have it permanently accessible on my console.

ACTIVELY PLAYING
Switch Lite: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic