Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Rise

Posts 3,881 to 3,900 of 4,706

mrchills

I wonder what the monsters would taste like? Which do you think would taste the yummiest? Thank you mommie, can I have seconds! LOL

mrchills

MisterMan

@JaxonH Here's some skills you could slot in a 2 slot that I think are more valuable than Quick Sheath for SA:
Rapid Morph, Evade Extender, Evasion, Recover Up, Divine Blessing, Power Prolonger, Attack, Weakness Exploit, Crit Eye, Crit Boost, Partbreaker (I'd probably even choose Focus for SA over QS)

The reason being that the with the SA you're rarely sheathing your weapon. When you're in axe mode (with Evade Extender 3) rolling once or twice will get out of the way quicker and further than sheathing your weapon and then wirebugging or superman diving out of harm's way. All the other skills contribute to your overall survivability or damage with the weapon. More damage gives you more flinches, part breaks and downed monster time, also, quicker hunts = less chance of carting. I just don't see any situation where you would prioritize QS over any of those skills for SA since all those other skills would come into play much more throughout the hunt. In World, QS was a lvl 1 deco and you could make a case for it then, but in Rise it's too expensive to use outside of Long Sword. With Long Sword, most of your moves use the sheathing animation, with SA it's rarely used.

MisterMan

JaxonH

@MisterMan
Depends on your playstyle. I sheath enough that it makes a huge difference. I could never just run around with weapon drawn not sheathing. That might be a LS playstyle, but for Switch Axe that's definitely not how I play. It may not be constantly, but when you need to, those seconds matter.

But I'm not really interested in arguing the point. I base my opinion on my own personal experience of hundreds of hours clocked in Rise with the Switch Axe specifically. You feel otherwise, that's cool. Nothing more needs to be said. You have your opinion, I have mine, let's leave it at that.

Evade Extender is good. But I don't think it has to be mutually exclusive. I run Quick Sheath AND Evade Extender AND Rapid Morph AND Evasion AND other skills that cater to my playstyle. Focus is reserved for Great Sword and Long Sword. Constitution and Stamina Surge for Bow, Dual Blades and Insect Glaive. Etc etc.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

MisterMan

@JaxonH i brought all this up originally because you were telling someone who was starting out with SA that Quick Sheath is "non-negotiable", and I really wanted to make sure that they and others reading this, realized that it is negotiable. Using QS on the SA is outside the norm of skills associated with that weapon. If it works for you, great. But I would encourage others to check out the other skills listed above and not feeling like they had to use QS on the SA. I think I've made my point. Let's just leave it at that.

MisterMan

JaxonH

@MisterMan
and I really wanted to make sure that they and others reading this, realized that it is negotiable

Just as I wanted them to realize it's not.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

MisterMan

Pizzamorg wrote:

Yeah, I think the only time I have ever used Quick Sheath as like a core of a build was Greatsword in World, as that used a sort of draw attack, hit and run, style at it's most effective form - thankfully the Wirebug elevates that honestly kinda tedious playstyle. I dunno why you'd need it for a SA really. I guess if you have spare slots or something as like a filler skill.

Yeah, I did the same thing in World. It was a good set for going against Rajang. I don't know why you'd use it in a SA set either.

MisterMan

Pizzamorg

MisterMan wrote:

@JaxonH i brought all this up originally because you were telling someone who was starting out with SA that Quick Sheath is "non-negotiable", and I really wanted to make sure that they and others reading this, realized that it is negotiable. Using QS on the SA is outside the norm of skills associated with that weapon. If it works for you, great. But I would encourage others to check out the other skills listed above and not feeling like they had to use QS on the SA. I think I've made my point. Let's just leave it at that.

Sadly, you're gonna be talking to a wall with that guy. He always has to have the last word when it comes to his opinions on basically anything here. He will literally will not stop replying to you while also gaslighting you in the process the whole time. There are a few people on here like that. He did it to me for ages, before he eventually just put me on his ignore list because I wouldn't back down and now this thread is a lot more pleasant for me.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

MisterMan

@Pizzamorg LOL. sounds nice. yeah, him having to have the last word is getting old. I just added him to the ignore list.

Edited on by MisterMan

MisterMan

JaxonH

@MisterMan
You wanna ignore me for responding to you courteously, go ahead.

In fact I'll make it easier and just block you now 🙂

Ralizah

Trying to get back into Rise in anticipation of Sunbreak, but it's a bit hard now that I haven't touched it in a year. My muscle memory has massively deteriorated in the intervening months.

The good thing is that I have about a month to get back up to speed. I already have an amazing set of Hunting Horns that I spent 80+ hours customizing, but getting back into the game is probably as good a time as ever to start experimenting with a new weapon. It won't be any of the ranged weapons, since I tried the guns and bow previously and found the playstyles frustrating.

Maybe LS. That was my MH4U main, and if that trailer that released while I was on my trip was any indication, the weapon is going to be absurdly OP after Sunbreak releases. But I also kind of want to try something new, and Sunbreak lobbies are going to be even more overrun with LS mains than MHR was when I was playing it.

I've never given the Insect Glaive its due in the past. Maybe it's time to try it out?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

MisterMan

@Ralizah the new switch skills for IG are looking pretty good too.

MisterMan

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Long Sword will no doubt be the most popular weapon, as it has been for generations now. But I wouldn't let that stop you from playing the weapon if that's what you really want. And it does look incredibly fun in Rise. Just keep in mind it's counter based in this game, so bear that in mind before choosing. I like having counters but I'm not good enough with them for my entire playstyle to revolve around them.

I mained Glaive in MH4U and loved it, except the Kinsect upkeep. Later in the game you got a double uptime Kinsect which alleviated that issue. But in Rise, you have access to Triple uptime Kinsects and double buff insects. I find the double buff (Attack) to be best. Gets you white and red at the same time. Just need orange afterwards.

I'd also submit for your consideration the Switch Axe and Charge Blade. Both technical weapons, but both incredibly fun and rewarding.

I myself am finally learning Great Sword, and it really does make the game feel fresh playing a new weapon.

Me and TeeJay finished all our Rise Quests the other day and have now moved onto MH World on Steam, since there's still a month to kill before Sunbreak. It's been tough acclimating to the lack of wirebugs, but it's still super fun. We're up to 8 star Quests. Immediately realized we have to accept Quests separately and watch cutscenes, then abandon and have one join the other right after. It's so annoying.

Anyways. If you haven't already, I'd focus on getting to HR100 to unlock Valstrax and all the other elder dragons, then stocking up on money, which you're going to need lots of in Sunbreak. Gear will get outclassed, but you'll still want a good set for starting out in Master Rank, as well as a good, fully upgraded weapon.

Ralizah

I guess my rustiness was short-lived. I stopped playing before I was able to successfully hunt a Chameleos, and I just went ahead and killed one a while ago. I wanted to do it via multiplayer, but people only ended up dropping in during the final leg of the fight.

Although I did stupidly waste a bunch of my antidotes until I realized heal + antidote is one of my HH abilities.

@MisterMan @JaxonH I guess my current strategy will be sticking with the HH while I level up my HR, since my loadout is optimized for this particular build anyway. When I'm not tackling difficult quests, though, I'll experiment with different weapons to find a secondary one I might enjoy. Insect Glaive, Greatsword, Switch Axe, and Long Sword are all in contention. LS is obviously the best one, especially with the Sunbreak additions, but the others might be fun to mess with as well.

The big reason I stopped playing at the time was because the content drops were so sparse. Now there's plenty of stuff to do in the base game, and some big-ass expansion coming in a month. MHR is officially back on active duty for the foreseeable future.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
It's like riding a bike. It all comes back pretty fast.

Herbal Medicines are a kind of upgraded Antidote that cures poison and restores some health. I'd maybe stock up on those for Master Rank, especially if you won't have horn buffs to rely on.

And if you haven't watched the 14 new weapon videos, I'd also recommend doing so. There may be some new moves you see that piques your interest. It was actually the new silkbind guard and fast 3 hit combo of the Greatsword that lured me in. Good to learn the weapons basic moveset now, so it's not overwhelming learning all of it when Sunbreak drops.

There was a lot of content in the 2.0 update, 3.0 update and weekly event Quests for the half year following. I think there's some 7 pages of High Rank Event Quests, some of which feature a miniature Lagombi, buffed Apex Emergency Quests, buffed Valstrax, buffed Ibushi and All-Mother Narwa, and a buffed Elder Dragon quest where you fight a super hard Chameleos, Kushala Daora and Teostra in the new arena. Speaking of which, there's a new arena. Think it's only playable via Event Quests, or, by unlocking quests in it in HR7 by completing all the Advanced Quests available. It's really cool though.

FattyWhale_42

JaxonH wrote:

@DreamlandGem
Oh for sure. We always hunt together when a new MH drops, going aaaaall the way back to MH3U and MH4U on 3DS. When base Rise released, it was a party in this thread.

You'll see all sorts of people crawl out from under the woodwork who normally don't post in this thread, but always show up for a new MH title. @TeeJay will be here, @FattyWhale_42 and @Ralizah and plenty more. We'll definitely get some hunts in, don't worry about that!

Haha, I haven't checked Nlife for months, but looks like I didn't miss too much as this was the oldest mention I missed. xD

And yes, I'm excited for Sunbreak (7^_^)7

FattyWhale_42

Switch Friend Code: SW-4410-3079-4430

Pizzamorg

New Dual Blade info dropped. I love any move that sucks me into the monster and allows me to keep the pressure on. I wasn't a big fan of the stamina micromanagement of the dual blades, but this has really tempted me.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

JaxonH

@FattyWhale_42
What weapon are you maining in Sunbreak- you gonna try something new this time? You're typically a bowgun user, right? And if so, are you gonna branch out to bow or try a melee weapon this time?

FattyWhale_42

JaxonH wrote:

@FattyWhale_42
What weapon are you maining in Sunbreak- you gonna try something new this time? You're typically a bowgun user, right? And if so, are you gonna branch out to bow or try a melee weapon this time?

The new Bowgun upgrades are looking quite nice, so I'll probably stick with those as my mains, but I'll have to reserve final judgment for when the game comes out, and we can see all the changes made.

DreamlandGem wrote:

@FattyWhale_42 One month to go! Can't wait to hunt with everyone here

I know! It'll be here before we know it! (7^_^)7

Edited on by FattyWhale_42

FattyWhale_42

Switch Friend Code: SW-4410-3079-4430

TeeJay

JaxonH wrote:

@Ralizah
It's like riding a bike. It all comes back pretty fast.

I know this is in reference to Rise but I just wanted to say, I wasn't 100% sure I could back into the more methodical gameplay of World at first but the same thing held true. It all quickly and steadily came back, and after a hunt or two it stopped feeling like molasses and I remembered just how much I loved World, purely speaking from a gameplay perspective.

Edited on by TeeJay

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic