Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Rise

Posts 3,601 to 3,620 of 4,706

Pizzamorg

Yeah, I ran the Hunting Horn for a while. I really like how Rise streamlined the horn and made it very strong. I think it was mostly the Magnamalo horn I ended up using. Only downside with that one was how it negated knock back, flinch etc but not the damage, so I think I ended up killing a few people as they had no idea they were taking damage, lol.

People always said the Rampage horn was the best one, but in terms of damage, sharpness and skills it doesn’t really compare to some of the others out there, unless your single focus is just healing I guess, so I never really understood it. I actually find it funny, because I feel like the Horn’s counterpart, the hammer was one of the few weapons Rise really made more complicated, rather than less.

At least if you want the full potential by juggling forms and making full use of ariel attacks. And while I am sure high skill players they can do really special things with it, for most you’ll get just as much bonkage out of the HH, but it’s easier to use and it buffs your team.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

Life to the living, death to the dead.

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
The damage on Rampage Horn might not be the highest in the game but it's plenty high enough- easily top 5% of the game in its final upgraded form, and all rampage weapons can have their sharpness customized. All my rampage weapons have half their sharpness bar of solid blue. Never even need Razor Sharp or Handicraft, which opens up slots for even more skills. You can give it white sharpness but it's a small amount. I'd rather have a massive blue bar.

If you can beat everything in the game, then a healing horn doesn't make sense, but for harder quests, such as the Apex Quests, elder dragons, the Emergency Apex Quests and gold crown Magnamalo quest, especially playing solo, it can help you get through quests you would otherwise cart in. Plus G-Rank is coming, and surviving until the first armor set can be crafted will drastically increase with a quality healing horn.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Pizzamorg

I actually cannot remember the name of the horn, it is like pink and green and looks like a lollipop. Well I would use that horn, combined with the silk bind skill where you put the ball down and amplify your song/give attack up. That had like nothing but healing and other like defensive buff stuff on it and when I just couldn’t really be bothered in a fight but really need something, I’d just put my ball down and twirl around in the background of a fight healing/buffing everyone but not really fighting directly. It was probably absolutely worthless, but I had a great time. Lol.

I think that is one thing that is kind of a shame in MH. While weapons do have their own individual identities, I’d honestly really like more of a class based system. I know you can sorta imitate classes, but you can’t really do it fully/properly. Having like a tank drawing aggro, someone focusing on damage, another focusing on CC/debuffs etc and then someone just on healing and buffs I think would be really fun.

One of the only games where I’ve really pushed to the absolute hardest of difficulties out of choice and for the fun of it were the Division games, as they allowed you to spec into very singular roles and the team synergy that creates is just really special. Since Rise is generally on the easier side and because of the wirebug, you don’t really need to every much care what anyone else is running, everyone can just wail on the monster with the same weapon and set and it’ll be fine. On the one hand that is a good thing because it means you can just run whatever, but I do kinda wish I could have a more defined role sometimes beyond just “are you hitting the head or the tail?”.

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
MH has never been the kind of game with class roles. The only role is "damage dealer". How is up to you.

That's not to say you can't strategize. Cutting weapon wielders do well pairing with blunt weapon wielders to cut tails and break heads and horns. Bow(gun) users do well pairing with other ranged weapon users and can work to stunlock monsters. Stuff like that.

It's just not a game suited for roles. Everyone is expected to equally contribute. And that's what makes it accessible to so many ppl and equal parts single player and multi-player. Any game which focuses on roles does not do well as a single player game without utilizing AI partners and making it a pure co-op experience.

I enjoy that kind of stuff sometimes, but not in every game.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Pizzamorg

JaxonH wrote:

@Pizzamorg
MH has never been the kind of game with class roles. The only role is "damage dealer". How is up to you.

That's not to say you can't strategize. Cutting weapon wielders do well pairing with blunt weapon wielders to cut tails and break heads and horns. Bow(gun) users do well pairing with other ranged weapon users and can work to stunlock monsters. Stuff like that.

It's just not a game suited for roles. Everyone is expected to equally contribute. And that's what makes it accessible to so many ppl and equal parts single player and multi-player. Any game which focuses on roles does not do well as a single player game without utilizing AI partners and making it a pure co-op experience.

I enjoy that kind of stuff sometimes, but not in every game.

Oh ya, I appreciate that. The game is just a game of whether you use a blunt, a sharp or a ranged and which body part you need to hit. And there is nothing wrong with that formula, I just think it would just be what takes the games to the next level, for me. I think the one of the few negatives I’d have to say with Rise is just how simplified the gear system is. If the gear system was more complex, with the ability to craft more focused builds, that is just my niche. I know it would go against the general design ethos of Rise to go in that direction, so I recognise why they didn’t do it. Just saying for me.

And I don’t really get your point about equal contribution? The whole point in a class based system is everyone is equally contributing, but by doing different things. Not just everyone doing damage.

And in regards to what that would mean for single player… eh. There are plenty of games with much more complex loot systems than MH that are still perfectly viable in single player. Maybe not the absolute hardest of hardest content, but other than for the 1% neither is MHs hardest content viable solo, either. It just all depends on individual balance.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
Equally contribute dealing damage, is what I meant.

The reason it would bork single player is, well, let me give two examples. You suggested a tank build, and you suggested healing (or if you didn't, that seems implied for roles). In a group that can work, but single player, a tank would be OP if they can also deal the same damage. So they'd have to be severely nerfed. Which means they just tank hits and never damage the monster. That weapon class is ruined. Then for healing, same thing. Can't be OP by healing and dealing damage the same, so damage would be severely nerfed. Which again results in tanking hits and Super long hunts. That weapon class gets ruined.

It just doesn't work for single player without AI companions for balance, and that's a whole other game. I appreciate what you're saying, certainly an interesting idea. I just don't think it would fit for MH.

Pizzamorg

JaxonH wrote:

@Pizzamorg
Equally contribute dealing damage, is what I meant.

The reason it would bork single player is, well, let me give two examples. You suggested a tank build, and you suggested healing (or if you didn't, that seems implied for roles). In a group that can work, but single player, a tank would be OP if they can also deal the same damage. So they'd have to be severely nerfed. Which means they just tank hits and never damage the monster. That weapon class is ruined. Then for healing, same thing. Can't be OP by healing and dealing damage the same, so damage would be severely nerfed. Which again results in tanking hits and Super long hunts. That weapon class gets ruined.

It just doesn't work for single player without AI companions for balance, and that's a whole other game. I appreciate what you're saying, certainly an interesting idea. I just don't think it would fit for MH.

Yeah, I guess I’ll agree to disagree, as I’ve seen other games do exactly what you are talking about and it works just fine for single player. It may be slower to go non damage, but not non-viably slower. And generally single player isn’t the focus of these sorts of games, anyway.

I personally think it’d be an excellent fit for MH and really take it to the next level. Almost all of the parts are already there, they just need to be leaned into.

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
I think you'd be surprised how many ppl play single player. The overwhelming majority for sure.

But, that's not how it is, so...

Pizzamorg

Maybe, I dunno. I’ve always played MH in groups, I think it is a significantly better game with others and not very fun solo, which is why I think a proper class based system would be great.

JaxonH

Quests I have remaining in Monster Hunter Rise…

Low Rank Village
[none]

Low Rank Hub
[none]

High Rank Hub
[none]

Rampage Event Quests
[none]

Low Rank Event Quests
[none]

High Rank Event Quests

• Gales of Ibushi Blow Again - slay Wind Serpent Ibushi [Coral Palace]
  • Clouds of Narwa Rumble Again - slay Thunder Serpent Narwa [Coral Palace]
  • Heart of an Apex - Slay Apex Arzuros, Apex Rathian, Apex Diablos [Infernal Springs]
  • Apex Arzuros Emergency - slay ultra Apex Arzuros [Flooded Forest]
  • Apex Rathian Emergency - slay ultra Apex Rathian [Lava Caverns]
  • Apex Mizutsune Emergency - slay ultra Apex Mizutsune [Shrine Ruins]
  • Apex Rathalos Emergency - slay ultra Apex Rathalos [Shrine Ruins]

Arena Quests
[none]

Challenge Quests

• Challenge Quest 01 - slay Tetranadon [Arena]
  • Challenge Quest 02 - slay Zinogre [Arena]
  • Challenge Quest 03 - slay Tigrex [Arena]
  • Challenge Quest 04 - slay Magnamalo [Arena]
  • Challenge Quest 05 - slay Rakna-Kadaki [Arena]
  • Challenge Quest 06 - slay Somnacanth, Goss Harag, Magnamalo [Frost Islands]
  • Challenge Quest 07 - slay Apex Zinogre, Apex Mizutsune, Apex Diablos [Infernal Springs]

Edited on by JaxonH

Pizzamorg

That is pretty impressive! I have loads of stuff not completed, because the rewards just aren’t there. Closer to the release of Sunbreak though I might try and do a completionist run, just to make me as prepared for the expansion as possible.

JaxonH

Ever since MH3U, I've done 100%. But that started because rainbow pigment was locked behind doing all Village Quests, and the hardest hunt in the game called "Monster Hunter" against 5 monsters was locked behind doing every other quest in the game. Now it's just habit.

Except MHGU. There were just too many quests to do them all. I told myself I'd try, and have done all 1 and 2 star Quests in the Village, but gave up after that. Was thinking about just doing a quest a day and spread it out over the next 18 months. Since there's probably about 500 Quests I have yet to do in the game.

Grumblevolcano

I checked out Switch Axe, did the tutorial and some of the quests I'd already completed to get used to the weapon and I seem to be doing better than when I using Dual Blades. My aim is to gradually get through the main game in time for Sunbreak and January/February seems like good timing for that given not much is happening for Switch releases outside of Legends Arceus.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Pizzamorg

Yeah, I really don’t enjoy Dual Blades. I have seen the awesome stuff they can achieve, but managing your stamina and your forms and all the rest, it is just too much to think about. The Switch Axe has plenty of depth in how you use it/build around it, but mechanically it has very simple combos and that is what I am all about.

Grumblevolcano

@Pizzamorg I just fell into the trap of treating Dual Blades like a Warriors game and dying because of that approach. Changing to Switch Axe forced a more strategic approach as a result of being slower.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
This is why I always recommend ppl don’t start with Dual Blades. MH is not hack and slash. Every single button must be pressed with express purpose. It forms bad habits that will hold you back in every other aspect of the game.

Switch Axe is sooo good in Rise.

I strongly advise taking 15 minutes to watch this Gaijin Hunter tutorial for Switch Axe. Mastering your weapon is crucial in this game. Also, the Invincible Gambit switch skill is arguably the best of any weapon in the game. At just a single wirebug cost, it provides super armor closing the gap with the monster, and allows you to yank yourself right through roars. Watch the tells, and when you see a monster getting ready to roar, use a well timed Invincible Gambit to break right through it and get some nice mount damage in that rolls right into any combo you wish.

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Also, it’s good to watch gameplay and observe how skilled Switch Axe users approach monsters with the weapon- check out this video of Switch Axe taking down a Mizutsune in 3 minutes. This is not the most impressive time run out there but I like this particular video because of his technique. He uses the combo where you constantly switch back and forth between axe and sword mode, and that’s something you’ll want to master.

Forward + ZR draws weapon into Sword Mode with a slash. Follow up with A for a double slash. Then ZR to morph attack back into Axe Mode, then immediately hit ZR again to morph attack back into Sword Mode with a slash. Rinse and repeat this combo. ZR to draw attack into sword mode, A, ZR to axe attack, ZR to sword attack, A, ZR… ZR, A, ZR… ZR, A, ZR… etc etc

VoidofLight

@JaxonH You shouldn't start with Dual blades, unless you intend on only using Dual Blades. Like for example, I don't really ever intend on using any of the other weapons in the game, so I started with Dual Blades, and I'm probably going to keep them. I know that they're probably weaker in comparison to most other weapons, but I click more with the faster weapon types than I did with things like the Great Sword when I first picked up Tri, thinking I could start with a weapon that slow.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

JaxonH

New event Quest released yesterday- a super difficult version of Ibushi and All-Mother Narwa.

I just did the event Quests for solo Ibushi and solo regular Narwa. Not sure I'm ready to tackle a supercharged version of Ibushi and All-Mother in the same quest.

Might need some assistance, if anyone is end game.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic