Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Rise

Posts 3,581 to 3,600 of 4,706

Pizzamorg

Would you recommend then I swap out some crit eye for evade extender instead?

And yah, wow. I think my armour value before a meal is like half yours pre-meal, but then I don’t think I have levelled up a single armour piece on this build yet, so I am not sure where I’ll end up. I haven’t made any armor skins before, either. I hadn’t ever needed them in regular Rise content, but those apex event quests are like old school Monster Hunter hard.

As you can tell with my waifu hunter, I like my layered armours, so I’ll have to try that Frost Bites mission later today to expand her wardrobe.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Pizzamorg

Finished that quest, all of it was pretty easy other than Goss. Dude is my nemesis, dunno why but I die to the same three hit combo every time. I dunno why I fall for it every time, but I do. That means I only had enough to make three pieces, but the skirt and chest are kinda ugly on a female Hunter anyway. I’m still happy to do it with others if they want to, but be warned, I will die to Goss. It is inevitable.

I combo’d the set with Anja for maximum waifu energy. If you aren’t playing as a cute anime girl in MH, what are you even doing?

Untitled

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
MH3U on Wii U was my first MH game, and in that game I played as a female. But ever since I’ve always played male hunters, because I like their big hulking armor sets.

Can you upgrade your armor? Should have plenty of armor spheres and materials to do it with. Simply maxing out your armor will make the biggest difference, if you haven’t done so yet.

As for the skills, I would personally prefer Evade Extender over Critical Eye. A lot of hunters just focus on attack and affinity, at the expense of all other quality of life skills. But I like those quality of life skills. Evade Extender is clutch for closing gaps which helps your damage output stay high, and it helps getting out of the way, which keeps you alive more, which also helps your damage output stay high. I have found skills which indirectly increase your damage almost always do a better job than those which directly increase your damage, unless you’re an A+++ tier Hunter that can speed run any monster without getting hit- in that scenario, attack and affinity are the better choice.

If you combine Evade Extender 2 with Evasion Level 3 or higher, you can roll through pretty much any attack. I always always always run Evasion and Evade Extender together. They’re a crazy powerful combination.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Snatcher

I like the female hunter more because I can give them a pretty and badass look!

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

JaxonH

I love this Orion set. This is good, quality World armor here.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Pizzamorg

JaxonH wrote:

@Pizzamorg
MH3U on Wii U was my first MH game, and in that game I played as a female. But ever since I’ve always played male hunters, because I like their big hulking armor sets.

Can you upgrade your armor? Should have plenty of armor spheres and materials to do it with. Simply maxing out your armor will make the biggest difference, if you haven’t done so yet.

As for the skills, I would personally prefer Evade Extender over Critical Eye. A lot of hunters just focus on attack and affinity, at the expense of all other quality of life skills. But I like those quality of life skills. Evade Extender is clutch for closing gaps which helps your damage output stay high, and it helps getting out of the way, which keeps you alive more, which also helps your damage output stay high. I have found skills which indirectly increase your damage almost always do a better job than those which directly increase your damage, unless you’re an A+++ tier Hunter that can speed run any monster without getting hit- in that scenario, attack and affinity are the better choice.

If you combine Evade Extender 2 with Evasion Level 3 or higher, you can roll through pretty much any attack. I always always always run Evasion and Evade Extender together. They’re a crazy powerful combination.

I have gone in the opposite direction as I’ve gotten older. I used to love trying to create a version of myself in RPGs, but then I realised why would I follow around my ass for hundreds of hours if I could make a cute waifu instead lol.

And yeah, upgrading the armour is the last step but it’s just the most tedious step. I know if I spent like an hour doing the ore thing I’d be set, but I just can’t be arsed lol. So boring. I wish they didn’t brutally throttle the money you get in multiplayer.

Also I looked, the only way to get evade window into my build would be to swap my chest but it would only be one and it would be lower armour by about 10 points I think as that new chest piece won’t have been upgraded.

Pizzamorg

So I have crafted some new stuff, moved some stuff around. I am at defence boost 4 out of 7, 3 out of 7 for crit eye. I have maxed Bludgeoner and evade extender, got rapid morph, stamina thief, power prolonger and divine blessing to 2 out of 3 and then a couple of ones.

JaxonH

That’s a solid set. Evade Extender and Rapid Morph are great, Power Prolonger is clutch for Switch Axe and Divine Blessing can save you from being one shotted.

Probably should try hunting normal Apex monsters and elder dragons first before jumping straight into the Emergency Apex quests, which feature super buffed Apex monsters way harder than even normal Apexes. And that Magnamalo quest, which is basically on tier with the Emergency Apex monsters.

Pizzamorg

Thanks for your help earlier, helping me max my gear/max my defence jewels! Sorry I had to bounce, but the dog gets so scared by the fireworks. Our other two aren’t bothered, but we have one (our oldest) and she is just terrified.

Happy to try some Apex’s with you tomorrow, I might die a lot still as I’m still fairly low skilled, but if you can tolerate me, I’ll be most grateful.

Magician

I wonder what the chances are of MHR getting a second physical release with all updates plus Sunbreak on cartridge? Probably slim to none. But I wouldn't hesitate to double dip if it were to happen.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

JaxonH

@Magician
I'd buy it again just to have it all on cart as a MH fan.

But I'm OK with it just being a DLC expansion too. Lot of ppl complained on 3DS they had to buy the entire game over again, and asked why they couldn't buy the Ultimate version as a DLC expansion. Which is exactly how they do it now, so.

Pizzamorg

I missed on the MHGU sale last time because it was physical only, but now the digital version is on sale and I’m thinking of grabbing it, anyone either interested in starting a fresh hunter and joining this GU noob on their journey or picking up the game and playing together?

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
I believe @Snatcher was doing a new playthrough of MHGU.

But it's a game where you want to download MHGU DB app so you know which Quests are key to progress, download all the optional DLC from main menu to help negate early game grind, and go in with a mindset of a much slower pace, more time spent with preparation and gathering, and more hunts to get the items you need.

It's an amazing game though. I'll play G rank if you ever work your way up there

Edited on by JaxonH

Pizzamorg

JaxonH wrote:

@Pizzamorg
I believe @Snatcher was doing a new playthrough of MHGU.

But it's a game where you want to download MHGU DB app so you know which Quests are key to progress, download all the optional DLC from main menu to help negate early game grind, and go in with a mindset of a much slower pace, more time spent with preparation and gathering, and more hunts to get the items you need.

It's an amazing game though. I'll play G rank if you ever work your way up there

Yeah, I’ve been watching a bunch of videos which sort of set expectations of all the things you are going to miss from World, but all the other things you’ll gain as well. I had played a a couple of Monster Hunter games before World, but only when I was younger and I am pretty sure there had been almost a decade where I hadn’t played a MH game at all, before World.

As such, I didn’t realise or really remember and notice how much Rise actually returned to a more classic structure for the game. IE village quests, hub quests, gathering quests, quests balanced for solo and multiplayer and just less of a hunt and more of a fight. Like some of these videos make it sound like a bad thing, but I think one of the worst parts of World was these huge, labyrinthine maps you had to keep traipsing through during a fight. It was tedious and frustrating. Rise basically removes it entirely and it looks like there is some of that in GU, but once you’ve found the monster you just fight in their zone until one of you is left standing. Sounds good to me.

Likewise, I really found it pretty frustrating in World how fragmented hubs were, even after hundreds of hours remembering exactly where everything was was pretty annoying and there is just so much stuff I would have probably either never found or known what to do with had I not had someone with me who knew his way around. With Kamura in Rise, everything is really condensed, which might sound bad, but it just makes it way more convenient. I don’t miss things like bounties, or having an individual vendor for absolutely everything, or having different vendors be up massive flights of stairs or on opposite ends of large spaces or whatever else or having to load into quests and then fire an SOS and all this other crap. That has nothing to do with GU, just thought I’d get it off my chest while we are here.

I am honestly not really too worried about having more game with GU. My issue with Rise is the way in which new monsters were paced just wasn’t good in my opinion, the game was very front loaded and it just got thinner and thinner as the game went along, until you go to basically a non-existent endgame with basically nothing new to discover, so you just sort of had to make your own fun. I know this is fine for some, as it was for World, but I really need a game to give me a goal. If it is asking me to make my own goals, I will just go and play something else. If I move slower through GU, but I get to keep discovering new monsters and new gear, then that is fine with me.

And I will say one thing I did like about Rise is generally it seemed to respect your time more, I remember how absolutely absurd the grind was for some things in World and while some people may tell you that is part of the fun, to me, fighting the same monster over and over and over and over and over and over and over just trying to get that last material to make your piece is not a fun loop, at all. And I have had my expectations set that GU might be even stingier than World when it comes to parts, so that part of the pacing I am not really much looking forward to.

Rise, for the most part, made sure you could make most of what you wanted after a couple of encounters, so you could then just move on, you weren’t locked into just fighting the same monster for what felt like endless periods. Like I say, I do think Rise could have probably held a few monsters back to make the HR journey a little more interesting in the last third or so of the game, especially when it suddenly requires the longest grind yet to get to the final monster, with absolutely nothing new to incentivise you to make the climb, but I just think overall Rise was tuned and streamlined in such a way that it is the right step forwards for the franchise, even if the diehards who want a thousand hours of treadmill running on the spot think otherwise.

I’ve had this “argument” with so many fans in a lot of genres over the years, so I know we’ll never agree on this, but to me I’d much rather play a game that is five hours long and all content, than play a 200 hour game which is the same five hours of content spread over those 200 hours, so it is just 99 percent filler. I don’t agree more is better. It is why I much prefer something like say Skyward Sword over Breath of the Wild. I want more game, even if it means less play hours overall, because walking to a location is not game to me.

Talking of that, I ended up playing Wrestling Empire for the rest of the day, so I still need those final HRs and that final monster. Let me know if you or @Snatcher are up for grinding some Apex Rampages tomorrow, and then to face the final monster. I think somewhere between 3 and 7 rampages and I should have finally reached the summit of this HR grind mountain.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

Snatcher

@Pizzamorg Well i'm around at the moment, just say the word.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
I love World. It’s one of my favorite games of all time. And I love the maps and how immersive the world is… but, the Ancient Forest was overload with the labyrinth design. I still don’t know my way around it. It had like 4 levels, it was too much. It was impressive, and don’t get me wrong I still love it, but I do prefer the design style of the Rise maps more, even if they aren’t as graphically impressive.

And yes, we’re 100% on the same page with the hub being too big and inconvenient to use between each quest. Kamura is perfect. I do think they went a tad overboard with farming via the submarines- I liked the farm fertilizer and catalyst, but overall it was so much better.

Balancing the grind is difficult because everyone has different preferences. I love the rare loot grind, fighting a monster over and over trying to get that orb or gem, because once you get it and craft that weapon or armor set it feels earned. When I play MP and others see my set, there’s a sense of pride in accomplishment that doesn’t come with easy to farm sets. But I don’t like it too hard. I loved old world grind, but after World and now Rise, I’ve gotten pampered with easier loot. I think Rise came pretty close to perfect. Late game elder dragons and harder monsters still could require 5+ hunts to get an orb, which at 12 min per hunt is an hour. Feels about right. In old world, lemme tell ya… lemme tell ya. In MH3U, I spent 48 hours straight farming a single Cloudy Moonshard from Lucent Nargacuga (a giant poison Nargacuga that could turn invisible and was fought in a special night time arena), and I hunted with these Germans all weekend over voice chat, and none of us got one until Sunday evening. It was the hardest drop in the game. I still have nightmares over that cloudy moonshard.

And, I don’t actually disagree, generally speaking, about more content and less filler. But I do like grind and I think when it’s well-balanced in a game where the combat is fun and the challenge is engaging, the grind is what makes the game addictive- that continual effort to get something rare that feels “earned”. Back in the old world, when a Hunter joined your lobby in a full Glavenus set, it commanded respect. Because you knew they earned it with raw skill and perseverance. I do think there is a line that can be crossed where it becomes too much, but when balanced correctly it makes the most addictive video games I’ve ever played. For the record, I loved Breath of the Wild. The constant sense of discovery through exploration, finding shrines and leveling up stamina and HP, that was the hook. Other games, it becomes overbearing. Some do, some don’t. All comes down to how fun the gameplay is, really.

I’m down. After rampages and Valstrax, I have some event quests for Teostra, Bazelgeuse, and a bunch of Apexes, 4 of which are Emergency Apex quests and are the hardest quests in the game.

Pizzamorg

So I made it to Valstrax, sadly I can’t find any multiplayer matches doing the quest. I tried loading my own, leaving it open, but two people fainted and then both immediately left afterwards? So I just abandoned it.

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
Let's roll. 5477

Edited on by JaxonH

Pizzamorg

Well that is Valstrax conquered… kinda. Right at the end it flew off to a location I think I’ve only ever been once and totally forgot about. By the time I realised/figured it out, it was dead. Oh well. As I was saying to @JaxonH after the fight, set seems strong but also odd. I didn’t look at the gem slots before I switched my Switch off for the night, but I have to assume it has enough gem slots or requires a good enough talisman that you can slot in the specific skills you need for the weapon you’re using, otherwise it seems very strong, but sorta too general to really be viable?

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
x3 1-slots
x3 2-slots
x2 3-slots

Thats pretty good for slots. With a Talisman, Talisman slots and weapon slots, you could add a couple more skills.

I, however, think it's better to craft as layered armor and wear over a mix set for aesthetics. I'm not really a fan of the skills on the Valstrax set, aside from the skill that activates a form of Dragonblight and sets all your elemental resistances to 50. Then, pair with Valstrax Switch Axe.

Gonna need an orb to craft the final form of the weapon, though.

Also, Hunting Horn doesn't really require extra skills aside from Horn Maestro, which a single gem can take care of. The Rampage Horn is the best in the game, if you set rampage skills to be Sharpness Type III, Dragon IV and Healing Melody II. The songs will be Health Recovery (L), Health Regeneration and Earplugs (L). Just using the Horn constantly heals you. It's so good.

The Narwa Horn also has both those healing skills alongside Negate Stun, but it requires a few points in Handicraft to make blue sharpness viable.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic