Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Rise

Posts 3,521 to 3,540 of 4,706

Mii_duck

@JaxonH - back to the maths and your formula then!

Sooo, I'm currently using Gelid Mind I
Attack 150
Affinity 0%
Element, ice, 18

So 150x0x0.25 = 0

Highest damage weapon of same type currently available is Diablos Bashers I
Attack 170
Affinity -15
No element.

170x-0.15x0.25 = -6.375

So I'm best sticking with what I have (sharpness of both is similar) and am going to now forget about all that and hit something repeatedly till it falls over.

Mii_duck

JaxonH

@Mii_duck
Your current attack total is 150, while the other is nearly 14 higher than that. Sure, you also have elemental, but that's situational, and, it's not as strong because motion values for elemental are almost always lower than raw attack, often significantly lower (motion values are the percentage of damage out of 100 a monster takes for a given monster part- MV of 35 on the foot, and 10 on the tail, for example, means the monster will take 35% of your damage in foot, and 10% of your damage on the tail). Elemental MVs are usually 5-10, maybe 20 if they're really weak to an element. But raw MVs go much higher, much more frequently.

My rule of thumb is, never base decisions on elements unless it's a tiebreaker. 14 higher raw is almost certainly better than 18 ice. Any time you see elemental damage, cut it in half for a good estimate of equivalent raw damage, and even then, only for monsters weak to it.

All that said, your best bet is upgrading your weapon, forging new weapons and upgrading those, and upgrading your armor (or crafting better armor and upgrading that).

I assume you're working on Low Rank Hub now? Maybe it's not worth crafting more Low Rank armor. If you beat village, may as well wait til high rank, then make a new armor set as soon as you fight a high rank monster, since there's a notable gap in defense once you get to high rank (and monster attack power).

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Pizzamorg

You have to think about armour perks too when you do your calculations because depending on the kind of perks you are running, you will alter the output of your weapon, too more than the raw numbers on the weapon itself will convey.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Mii_duck

@JaxonH - I only play for about half an hour at the end of each night recently, but just finished the village quests. And... nothing. No cut scene, not even a line of dialogue. Humph.

The level six village quest, fighting Rathalos and Tigrex wiped me out several times, but beat it eventually.
Forged new armour and upgraded it fully to be 38 base, opposed to the 30 base I was using.
Now, that combined with me maybe getting a lot better at the game (very unlikely!) lead to me not fainting once and needing very few potions when facing the joint fights of Mizutsune and Tobi-Kadachi then Magnamalo and Zinogre.
I can only presume the game ramps down the difficulty when facing two monsters on a quest!

I completed all the level one hub quests a while back, will play on a bit and see what else the game introduces.

Edited on by Mii_duck

Mii_duck

JaxonH

@Mii_duck
Ya, village isn't meant to be the end of anything. Just the warm up to the meat of the game.

Expect more cutscenes and story in high rank Hub.

You can test out of the Low Rank Hub if you want and just go straight to High Rank. Once you get to high rank, _that's where the game truly begins.

And once Sunbreak releases, they'll add High Rank Village Quests and Master Rank Hub Quests, on top of the 20 or so additional monsters.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Pizzamorg

Yeah the village is more of a tutorial than anything else, I was rotating village and hub to begin with as the game doesn’t really make it clear the specific function of each type (or at least not that I remember) but I eventually hit a point where the village quests were worthless to me, as they were rewarding me low rank gear when I’d already unlocked high rank through the hub. So either clear all the village quests and then move onto the hub, or just use the village quests to get a feel for the game and create the basis of a build and then just focus on hub entirely.

VoidofLight

The PC version does look nice, but the fact that it has no cross-play or save transfers really kills the chance of me wanting to double dip for the game.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Jrpglover

VoidofLight wrote:

The PC version does look nice, but the fact that it has no cross-play or save transfers really kills the chance of me wanting to double dip for the game.

That's the same for me I was going to buy 2 copies on pc one for me and one for the Mrs but with no cross save or cross play it's not worth it especially when all you'll be getting is better looking models

Jrpglover

JaxonH

Ya, it's great for those who don't own a Switch, but there's little reason to buy if you do have the Switch version. It looks sharper and will run at 60, which is nice, but that's hardly enough to not only forfeit hybrid freedom of handheld, tabletop and TV, forfeit gyro aiming (at least the demo has issues mapping mouse to gyro) and redo 450 hrs of progress for the privilege.

After including save transfers for MH3U on 3DS and Wii U, then again for MH Generations and Generations Ultimate from 3DS to Switch, and with numerous Switch games already having cross save with Steam (Hades, Divinity Original Sin 2, Witcher 3, etc) there's no excuse for this.

If they can't be bothered to include cross save, it sends a message to me and millions of other Switch gamers that they don't want our money- that they don't value our $60. And that's fine by me. I'll just spend it elsewhere with a company that does.

VoidofLight

@JaxonH And even then, without cross-play, it's debatable if the PC version is worth it, given most of the playerbase is on Switch.

MisterMan

@VoidofLight All of the playerbase is on Switch... since it's not out yet on PC. People will definitely be getting it on PC, but it will be people who don't own a Switch. MHW still has a very active playerbase on Steam and I would assume Rise is going to do very well on PC. I'm with you guys though and will not be buying it again on PC due to not having cross-save.

MisterMan

JaxonH

Lots of stuff poppin lately.

Got a new patch, new paid DLC is out, new free event Quests have been piling up- just recently they dropped some Apex Quests, one with some massive size monsters too, but later this month we're getting on with the 3 toughest Apex in the game- Mizu, Zinogre and Diablos, fought in the final end game arena map.

That one is gonna be fun.

JaxonH

Oh my gosh, that new Magnamalo event quest absolutely wrecked me. First triple cart of the entire game, as far as I can remember. And that's with fully upgraded endgame armor!

That Magnamalo one shotted me the 2nd cart. You gotta get full HP with spiribirds if you hope to stand a chance. Either that or just be insanely good at the game.

I love it. Maybe I'm just rusty, but MH is like riding a bike. I can come back after years and pick it up like it was just yesterday.

And there's another 15 event quests of 7⭐️ rank I haven't done, almost all of which involve Apex Monsters, many involving multiple Apex Monsters. There's even a challenge quest with Apex Mizu, Apex Diablos and Apex Zinogre... a challenge quest. With preset armor and items. Like... that would be hard enough as a normal quest. But a challenge quest? They're putting us to the test!

JaxonH

Just connected my wireless Logitech keyboard to Switch, and it's amazing for chat. It controls the entire eShop, but outside of that only activates when inside a text window.

Had I known about this I would've been doing custom messages in Rise way back when.

VoidofLight

Seems like a ton of game reveals are happening in Spring of next year. First Final Fantasy XVI, and now Monster Hunter Sunbreak.

Titiana

Hi guys! brand new here. Glad I found this forum; reddit and gamefaqs are getting pretty stale. You guys seem a bit more rational here! Any bow users out there?

Anyway, I was trying to decide whether to get Rise for PC, and then I remembered that if I want to keep playing online on switch, I have to pay extra to nintendo for that privilege, and that pretty much decided it for me, since PC online is free.

There's no scenario in which I don't have to pay money, so I might as well get a much better framerate out of the deal!

Titiana

Pizzamorg

Yeah, it’ll be interesting to see what happens to the Switch population once Sunbreak drops (if it drops for both systems simultaneously). The lack of crosssave kinda ***** on the parade for an existing player who wants to move over to PC, unless they don’t mind playing all over again from scratch.

However, I know a fair amount of people who only bought a Switch for Rise and once their friends stopped playing, they stopped using the Switch entirely. So if they come back for Sunbreak and find their NSO finished or find their friends have moved over to PC - given their is no cross play either - that could dent the existing population.

I mean you’d think it possibly won’t be a disaster because Japan loves their handhelds and plenty of people will probably not be bothered to start again and so will just continue on Switch regardless, but it still sucks they’ve potentially divided the player base in this way.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic