Forums

Topic: Metroid Prime 4: The Long(er) Wait

Posts 881 to 900 of 939

Grumblevolcano

3 years ago today (January 25th 2019):

I wonder when we'll get an update on Prime 4.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

MarioBrickLayer

@Grumblevolcano Wow! Time flies! I think it's 50/50 at best we hear anything this year... 0% chance of a release this year...

Could they do a splatoon 3 and announce it this year for next?

MarioBrickLayer

link3710

@Bolt_Strike Just now reading your remake things. I'd think I'd rather see them finish the boss battle that was meant for Phendrena Drifts (we know it's already designed, albeit unimplemented), and move the Golem boss back to a new section of Magmoor Caverns like was planned. And use that as an excuse to make the golem fight more interesting since it was also clearly unfinished in the final game.

link3710

Bolt_Strike

@link3710 Ehhh, I think it might be a bit too late to move Thardus to Magmoor Caverns, he's too iconic and there's too much lore surrounding him being there. At this stage I think having a large Magmoor boss would be the best choice for a Magmoor Caverns boss. The area is named after them after all.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

link3710

@Bolt_Strike If I'm not mistaken, there's not much in the lore that requires him to be there. Surely the pirates could have sealed him away in Magmoor instead, even if his creation remains in Phendrena?

But I suppose a Magmoor boss could be quite interesting...

link3710

Bolt_Strike

@link3710 Quarantine Cave is close to Glacier One where they experimented on him and the cold helps them control Metroids (and presumably Thardus), so it really wouldn't make much sense to move him all the way to Magmoor.

I think the best way to go about a Magmoor boss would be something like a more polished version of the Iblis Phase 2 boss in Sonic 06 (except you know, with less sitting around twiddling your thumbs waiting for it to do something).

A more familiar comparison to Metroid fans might be something more like a cross between Amorbis and Chykka, but Iblis would be more accurate to what I have in mind.

Have it dive at you and break rock platforms like with Iblis, shoot fire breath at you like regular Magmoors, maybe throw in a lava wave and/or falling rocks attacks, then you'd have to damage it by shooting it until it's stunned and then hitting a weak point in its mouth or something. That'd make for a pretty good boss battle I think.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Magician

Still not sure if MP4 will be a swansong for the current Switch or a launch title for the Switch successor?

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

MarioBrickLayer

@Magician Really good question, if the launch of the game is around when Nintendo are thinking of launching the new console I bet they will old it back. If they MP4, Mario Kart 9 plus another majot title, it would be really good launch!

MarioBrickLayer

gcunit

@Magician As most are, I suspect. Just depends on so many variables. We've seen many times how good games release late in a platform's cycle and underperform saleswise. If Switch continues as Nintendo's sole/main platform into 2025 then I think that gives MP4 enough time to come out in the next 12-18 months and do well as a Switch title. But how is development going? And it's impossible to discount the option of it being a cross-gen release, or a Switch release but with an 'upgrade' path as seen with the PS4/5 games (God, I hope not). Or are Nintendo enjoying the income from Wii U ports so much that they'll adopt a similar strategy next gen and port it for Switch 2?

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

StarPoint

I'm thinking (hoping) that this title will launch on both platforms, the Switch and the Switch 2. Pretty similar to BOTW in that regard.

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

MarioBrickLayer

@StarPoint That is an interesting question...how often have Nintendo done cross platform games? Is it just Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild?

Will we see any for the Switch? I'm not sure, I'm not expecting Mario Kart 9 to be cross platform, MP4 might be different as it was announced early in the Switch lifecycle so would fans be disappointed if it didn't come out on the Switch?

MarioBrickLayer

StarPoint

@MarioBrickLayer I think they would have to release it for the Switch since that was what it was originally announced for: "Now in development for the Nintendo Switch." However, I would understand if it was postponed to their next system since it's so far behind in development at this point. I would expect them to release it on the base Switch, though. I don't think MK9 would release on the Switch since MK8D is selling like crazy still, and probably won't stop for a long time. But like I already said, I think MP4 is somewhat obligated to release on the OG Switch at this point.

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)

I-U

I cannot get out of my head how long Prime 4 has been in development without any footage being shown relative to the complete development cycle of every Prime sequel (with the exception of Federation Force). It's on track to be double the previous cycles if it were to release later next year. It'll be hard to shake expectations in that regard when Prime 4 does release.

I'm very concerned about any kind of release that would involve the next generation, because that investment too would increase expectations. Even if it's cross generation, the better version will be on the newest hardware, so to play Prime 4 at its best it'll go from $60 to $400+ for the experience. After Other M, Samus Returns and Dread felt like very safe entries. Dread able to be the best of those kind of entries alongside Super. After Federation Force, I'm not expecting Prime 4 to be a "Breath of the Wild" for Metroid. I'm anticipating a very safe Prime game. I do hope it follows the current narrative of the Prime Series to at least have me willing to invest into what could be a very expensive game to play, and hope that it's like Dread in that in spite of not shaking up the formula it does manage to be in the conversation as the best under the formula.

Edited on by I-U

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

StarPoint

Ok so hear me out: I think MP4 is going to have... drumroll please... Portals. I don't know why, and I don't know how, but I think Metroid Prime 4 could feature portals, similar to the ones in the game series "Portal". Yes, yes, Metroid Prime 2 sort of has portals, but nothing on the level of the ones in Portals 1 and 2. They may not work in a game like Metroid Prime which has very specifically-designed rooms, but who knows? Maybe MP4 will be a game with a number of firsts for the series. Don't ask me why I think this, because I have no idea why. But if Retro Studios reveals that their latest game will have portals, well, you heard it here first.

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)

Octane

It took them 5 years to teach Metroid how to crawl, that's why it's taking them so long.

Octane

Ninfan

Just hope there are not a million boss battles in it🤞

Ninfan

StarPoint

@Ninfan Not a fan of the boss battles, eh? They're actually one of my favorite things about any Metroid game.

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)

Ninfan

StarPoint wrote:

@Ninfan Not a fan of the boss battles, eh? They're actually one of my favorite things about any Metroid game.

@StarPoint I think they like them in America and Japan ( I still like to visit japan ) but its game play they go for here in Europe and Britain

Ninfan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic