Forums

Topic: Metroid Prime 1 Remastered

Posts 361 to 380 of 433

JaxonH

@TheBigBlue
This is the way

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Bolt_Strike

@NintendoByNature You might want to prioritize getting the Grapple Beam and Plasma Beam first, many of the artifacts require those two abilities. For that matter, those abilities open a lot of doors in this game, there's a ton of expansions throughout Tallon IV that require those abilities. I would get those abilities first, then explore the older areas at your leisure to find expansions and artifacts, then return to Phazon Mines (but if you've already left the Mines, the Grapple Beam is back there so you might want to return there first).

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

JaxonH

I'm in the bottom level of Phazon Mines at the save point room next to the Elite Pirate boss fight. I went the long way around. These bottom chambers are creepy. Every single room had me on the edge of my seat, desperately trying to get to what I identified as a potential save room, only to get there and realize it was a Missile recharge station. Eventually got to a Save room though.

@TheBigBlue
Grab them as you go.

Some will require certain upgrades but for the most part you can get them as you go, or as you backtrack for something else you can use the opportunity to grab an artifact in the area also.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Bolt_Strike

@TheBigBlue As long as you're not going out of your way to get them, I think it's more efficient to grab them as you collect new powerups and then mop up the rest after you get the Plasma Beam. You'll be going back and forth through different areas most of the story and it seems more efficient to just get the expansions as you backtrack to visit the new areas. But once you get the Plasma Beam you can get just about everything in the game (aside from the few you need when you're venturing to and obtain the Phazon Suit), so at that point you'll want to backtrack to each area and get everything that's left in those areas.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

NintendoByNature

@Bolt_Strike got the grapple and xray visor. Magmoor caverns will be visited during tomorrow's session as there's a (?) On the map.

NintendoByNature

Mrkittyhead

Okay, I just realized that there’s a few logbook entries I missed despite being super diligent. Will I have to replay the game if I want to 100% it? That’s somewhat frustrating, if so.

Mrkittyhead

Bolt_Strike

@Mrkittyhead Yes you do and yes it is, it's one of the most irritating aspects of this game. If you miss the scan, it's gone forever and you have to restart the entire game. I really wish they would fix this in Prime 4, but I'm concerned they won't. They'd rather give you an incentive to restart the game and have you engage with it further.

Bolt_Strike

JaxonH

I love it. The challenge of scanning everything is one of the best parts. Of course you can miss scans. Once a boss is defeated they're gone. That's how it works. So... don't miss them. And if you do, then oh well, you miss it. Do better next time. One of the funnest parts of the game is seeing how close to 100% you can get. I don't want the game to trivialize that for me. I never get 100% and I'm OK with that. If the game handed it to me on a silver platter it wouldn't be fun to strive for anymore.

Besides which, if you start a new game on the same save file it carries all your scans forward, for any who wish to pursue 100%.

Just beat the Omega Pirate and collected the last two artifacts, and made my way back to my ship on Tallon IV overworld. Only missing 2 energy tanks and a few missile/power bomb upgrades. Think I've got like 150 missiles though, and 6 powerbombs, which is enough.

Edited on by JaxonH

kkslider5552000

To be fair, the reward for 100% scans is barely anything, its pretty negligible. But there is also weird stuff like the Ice Shriekbat, a pointless enemy that vanishes for no reason after a while.

Honestly though, I'd argue that's just a weird quirk of the game, while games now would be far more likely to do this on purpose. Adding SOMETHING to avoid criticism from weird people who hate every game that has less than 30 hours of content, even though they obviously didn't make a 30 hour game. (looking at you, Link's Awakening remake randomized dungeon thing and vague New Pokemon Snap challenges).

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Mrkittyhead

@JaxonH oh, that’s so great to hear. I’m not upset as long as my scans carry over. I’ve gotten all of them except for that flamethrower-totem-thing. I didn’t even think about it being a boss until I beat it.🤦‍♂️

Mrkittyhead

Mrkittyhead

@kkslider5552000 I was miserable when I first entered Phendrana because I thought that as soon as the Ice Shriekbat attacked that it would be gone. I basically tiptoed through until I saw them.😂

Mrkittyhead

Mrkittyhead

When I first started I thought that I had to scan literally everything, so in the starting area I would scan a door, walk through, and then scan the other side.

Mrkittyhead

Mrkittyhead

When I first started I thought that I had to scan literally everything, so in the starting area I would scan a door, walk through, and then scan the other side.

Mrkittyhead

JaxonH

@TheBigBlue
Oh its more common than you'd think.

There are entire reddit threads devoted to people who missed one single scan lol... that's one of the defining features of Metroid Prime games- it's part of the experience 😀

@Mrkittyhead @Colonel_Mustache
Oh, glad to help! It's definitely good to know if you wish to pursue that.

Bolt_Strike

JaxonH wrote:

Once a boss is defeated they're gone. That's how it works. So... don't miss them. And if you do, then oh well, you miss it.

They could... you know, let you rematch the bosses to get the scans. They could include a simulator mechanic that can let you rematch the bosses anytime you want.

kkslider5552000 wrote:

But there is also weird stuff like the Ice Shriekbat, a pointless enemy that vanishes for no reason after a while.

This is my main sticking point with missable scans, there's tons of enemies and objects that you might not even know to scan, especially the ones that are variations of an existing enemy that you might not know is actually a separate enemy or various body parts/state changes for certain bosses. How can you tell the Ice Shriekbat is a different enemy from a regular Shriekbat? Or any of the other icy variants like Ice Burrowers or Ice Parasites? How are you supposed to know that the Flaaghra Tentacle is a separate scan from Flaaghra itself? Or the various scans of the Temple Guardian bosses in Prime 2? A lot of these feel like Guide Dang It moments, you might have no idea these things even ARE separate Creature entries from existing enemies you've seen previously and you'll never know you missed them until you learn about them by looking up a scan guide. That's not a fair challenge (and really what about scans are even "challenging" for that matter? You just press the scan button when you see an enemy, maybe whether one or two hits at best and then done, not exactly super 1337 gamer skillz). It's just artificial difficulty.

Bolt_Strike

JaxonH

@Colonel_Mustache
I beat it yesterday myself, and made it to Impact Crater and Metroid Prime.

I spanked em first try. But I knew what to do with the X-ray visor. It also helps, after you hit his core the first time and you repeat the previous steps of hitting the 4 weak points, to completely ignore the space pirates and just go for the kill.

JaxonH

@Colonel_Mustache
😀

Metroid games are excellent at giving the player a feeling of real accomplishment- overcoming a hurdle that previously seemed insurmountable.

Grumblevolcano

@Bolt_Strike For me the worst missable scan is the Webling in Prime 2.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Bolt_Strike

@Grumblevolcano Webling or Ing Webtrap? Not only are both of those missable but they're also very similar, so they are indeed bad. Webling is in Dark Agon on your way out from getting the Light Beam (EDIT: just looked it up and the name of the room is Feeding Pit Access, it's the room in between Doomed Entry, the entrance to the Light Beam section from the light world, and Feeding Pit, which is the large room right before the one where you get the Light Beam). Ing Webtrap is the one in Battleground while you're fighting for the Agon Temple Key. I'm guessing you meant Ing Webtrap, but neither are particularly good, I missed them both on my first playthrough.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic