Forums

Topic: Metroid Prime 1 Remastered

Posts 341 to 360 of 433

NintendoByNature

@JaxonH oh boy, you're talking to one of those 6 who didn't buy prime back in the day. I bought the gamecube when I was starting freshman year of high school, so I was very picky about what I bought. I barely knew about prime other than some chats on the bus with other kids. I was wierd when I was a kid haha. The game that got me amped for the cube was resident evil remake.

But, I bought the trilogy on wii u, and barely scratched the surface in the game until now. Once I'm finished, I might go and play the other two and fight those controls lol. This games awesome though. I'm getting an upgrade or two every session, and a boss at least once. At this rate, I'll probably beat it by Sunday, maybe Saturday.

NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

@TheBigBlue haha yep! Same with those dang space pirates. Blast EVERYTHING until the music finally stops.

NintendoByNature

card-crunch78

Guess who just beat this game 100%? Me!

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

JaxonH

@JadeKitsune
100% is quite the feat. I've only ever gotten like 97%. Never was able to get everything.

@NintendoByNature
I didnt follow gaming news at the time, and wasn't even a gamer (aside from playing massive amounts of Mario Kart 64, beating 4 world records posted in GamePro Magazine, and F-Zero X, but that was at least 8 years prior). I just watched my brother play and it was mesmerizing. It's all I did. Woke up in the morning, ate breakfast, went to my brother's room and sat on the couch, and watched him play until well after sunset.

When he finally finished the game, I'd made up my mind I wanted a GameCube and Metroid Prime 2. Bought the platinum GC with Metroid Prime bundle that included a demo disc for Prime 2, as well as Prime 2. The next 2 weeks I played that game so much I was having dreams about the Ing at night (not hyperbole- I really did dream about the Ing, on more than one occasion too).

When Wii released and I heard it was getting a new Metroid Prime 3: Corruption game, the hype was unbearable. Still wasn't what you'd consider a "gamer" but rather someone who just really loved Metroid. I only played 4 games on my Wii all generation long: Wii Sports (obviously), Metroid Prime 3, Zelda Twilight Princess (my first Zelda), and DKC Returns. And of course, I beat every single one of them.

Only 4 games, but gosh dang it, in hindsight, those were the 4 best games on the system.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NintendoByNature

@JaxonH I get it. I've been a gamer since I could hold a controller in my tiny hands at age 3. Started with the nes, gameboy, genesis, 64, psone, dreamcast, then gamecube. I rarely kept up with gaming news myself. It was always word of mouth, or commercials I'd seen on TV. Or just a random game I saw on sale, or gift from a relative.

The wii was such a weird console for me. I couldn't wait to have it, searched high and low, and once I got my hands on it, I quickly became bored with it due to the "casual-Ness" of it. I had a few first party games games for it, but I can honestly say it's my least favorite nintendo console of all time.

NintendoByNature

JaxonH

@NintendoByNature
Though I recognize the significance of the NES and its impact for its time, I think NES is my least favorite, as the only games I feel still hold up are Mega Man 1-4 and Super Mario Bros 3.

And though I spent 4 years playing Mario Kart 64 and F-Zero X, with a bit of Mario 64, Waverace, 1080p, Goldeneye and wrestling, I think N64 is my next least favorite.

I'd say Wii is my 3rd least favorite. I also didn't like the casual focus, but it had some gems. Getting Metroid Prime 3 and DKC Returns, two of my favorite games ever, is enough to keep it off the bottom of the list, at the very least.

I'd say Switch is my favorite, then GameCube, then SNES, then Wii U, then Wii, then N64, then NES. I would have ranked Wii U as my favorite before Switch released, but all its games are on Switch now, with the hybrid advantage, so it's current ranking is based solely on Xenoblade X, NintendoLand, Yoshi's Wooly World, Splatoon, Zelda Windwaker HD and Twilight Princess HD, Star Fox Zero and Guard, Paper Mario Color Splash, Kirby's Rainbow Curse and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Which isn't much for a total generational library.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NintendoByNature

@JaxonH funny, aside from us both claiming switch as our all time favorite, we're the complete opposite. I'd probably go switch > n64 > nes > wii u > gamecube > snes > wii.

I actually think the nes holds up fairly well depending on what you're playing. I could sit for hours on end playing nes/64. I suppose cube and snes as well. The wii u has some amazing titles and a phenomenal vc library. The wii was just so bland for me. I tried and tried to like it, but it just wasn't cutting it. Aside from party games, or NSMB + Wario Land Shake It, I rarely touched it.

NintendoByNature

JaxonH

@NintendoByNature
I think Wii was kind of like Wii U, inasmuch that there wasn't quantity of great games, but the quality of the ones it did have was exceptional.

Though I didn't play very many games at the time, I have gone back since (mainly in the Wii U era) and played many newly discovered gems. I'd list my notable picks as follows:

• Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
  • DKC Returns
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • The Last Story
  • Wii Sports
  • Wii Sports Resort
  • Zelda Twilight Princess
  • Zelda Skyward Sword
  • New Super Mario Bros Wii
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Super Paper Mario
  • Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
  • Sin & Punishment 2: Star Successor
  • Kirby's Return to Dreamland
  • Warioland Shake It
  • Warioware Smooth Moves
  • Monster Hunter Tri

Not that many games (very similar to Wii U, it's just that Wii U was missing all the shovelware), but Metroid Prime 3 is among my all time faves, as is DKC Returns, and Sin & Punishment 2 is my favorite on-rails shooter ever made. Xenoblade is one of my favorite JRPGs (though it's completely dated by the new remaster now), The Last Story is just as good if not better than Lost Odyssey on 360 as Sakaguchi's last great console Final Fantasy-style JRPG, Mario Galaxy games are two of the best platformers ever made... it's uh, it's got some gems. N64 also doesn't have that many games (and tbh, neither does GC), but there's not a single N64 game I currently count among my all time faves, simply because the games are so dated now (F-Zero X would be closest but it's blown away by GX on the Cube, same for the original Sin & Punishment being blown away by Star Successor on Wii).

I think I wrote off the Wii for a long time, until I became a collector and researched all the good games and bought them for my physical collection. That helped bring awareness to how good the games were it had. I was kinda surprised, actually.

But N64, GC and Wii all suffered from not having that many games. The ones they got were great. Some serious bangers. But it feels like a new era with Switch. The quantity has practically doubled, in addition to soooo many great 3rd party games, and of course, having actual practical utility of the hybrid advantage for every single game on the system makes each and every one exponentially more desirable.

roy130390

@JaxonH Sorry for the late reponse, yeah, I also really like Prime 2 and I also have the same fear of critics and players not appreciating the uniqueness of that entry. Maybe it's just me but I always found funny how both Samus Returns and Echoes both share that they are the second entries in their respective series, are darker, change certain core aspects of the gameplay and are also somewhat divisive compared to the first one. Both are among my favourite games precisely because of that.

I really like Prime 3 even if it was the least enjoyable for me mostly because it feels more linear. It's still a great entry and I appreciate how every Prime game offered something different as you said. The least "good"one in a fantastic trilogy is still one of Nintendo's finest. However I do see people disagreeing with us, specially nowadays that I just find everyone being more bitter in general. I usually don't care that much about that but when it comes to this franchise it scares me that it impacts it in a negative way, specially now that we are so close to Metroid finally reaching larger audiences. I Would be heartbroken if Metroid ends up with a similar fate as the Star Fox franchise, although I suppose that after Dread and Prime Remastered (apparently) doing so well it's unlikely nowadays, but it was a reality for such a long time that it's kind of hard not feeling a bit paranoid.

I also agree that it would be tragic not to get those 2. It's been years since I played them and yet I feel sure that they hold up incredibly well and I really want to revisit them. I really hope that if they do, they also get the same remastered treatment so that there's a bigger chance of people actually appreciating them as they deserve.

@TheBigBlue Yeah, I do see Nintendo doing that approach. Let's hope that regardless of the other two releasing or not, that at least Prime's Remastered's reception gives Nintendo the motivation to make Prime 4 one of the best games on Switch.

At least now that we have this remastered version the wait for Prime 4 will be a bit easier. Well, kinda haha. It also made the wait the wait harder at the same time because I was really impressed with what they delivered and I just can't imagine what they are planning to do with Prime 4 to match or surpass that but I have faith that they will deliver. In my opinion Nintendo has been really strong this generation.

Edited on by roy130390

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

JaxonH

@roy130390
Given Prime Remastered is consistently selling out the physical copies even a month later, and it's still topping the eShop charts, I expect this game's success to make Nintendo seriously think about doing the same for Prime 2 and 3.

It sends a clear "if, then" message. "If you remaster these games close to a remake, each one will sell millions and millions of units". A simple HD port would still sell to some extent, but how much isn't yet known. The surefire success of this level of remastering may be enough for them to say ok, you know what? Let's go ahead and get the other two remastered all the way. Let's do what we know will sell millions of copies.

I can't help but wonder if the real reason Prime Remastered was ready for 18 months before release wasn't just due to releasing closer to Prime 4's launch, but giving time for the other games to be remastered also. Maybe they weren't completely done when this released, but they'd be 18 months closer to being done. Perhaps enough so that come the summer direct (or Sept direct), they can do another shadow drop.

Edited on by JaxonH

MarioBrickLayer

I finally got the power bomb and grapple beam! I think the run from the first save point in the Phazon Mines to the save point after the power bomb is the toughest section I have done so far, still fun though!!

MarioBrickLayer

Bolt_Strike

So since no one else seems to have done it, I went back and started a new file to see how long you can go without getting the Charge Beam. As I suspected, you can get as far as Glacier One (the Pirate base in Phendrana), but you won't be able to fight Thardus without the Charge Beam. The Super Missile is unusable without it, so you won't be able to blow up the Cordite ornament covering the power conduit that activates the door leading to Thardus.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

@TheBigBlue Yeah, I usually pick it up early too, I just intentionally skipped it to see how long I could go without it. I also played this file on Casual mode so I wouldn't have to worry about dying with one hand tied behind my back, I'm more interested in testing the possibility than challenging myself.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

JamesS26

Ashamed to say after 20 years of gaming I lost my Metroid virginity this week to Metroid fusion on the switch online.

Finished it this morning and suffice to say I’ve just ordered dread and prime on Amazon for delivery tomorrow.. not sure which to play first?

JamesS26

trymer89

@StickyToffee Chronologically? Metroid Prime.

Bear in mind that you've got access to the entire main Metroid timeline (Prime and its sequels are, while set in the main timeline, considered side entries) with NSO. So to experience the full story from start to finish, you kind of have shot yourself in the foot, as only Dread is set after Fusion.

My recommendation? Play Metroid, next Prime as it is set between Metroid and 2, then Metroid 2: Return of Samus, Super Metroid, replay Fusion, and finally do Dread. That sounds like a lot, but you can easily beat all but Prime and Dread in about 12 hours, perhaps 20-25 for Prime. Dread is awesome, but it is also set dead last in terms of Samus's story.

Edited on by trymer89

/ / / |_ () ||

NintendoByNature

So I got to phazon mines and was quickly humbled lol. I have no idea why there was no save point for such a large section. I actually had to replay the same scenario 4 times before getting it right and getting to the save point after finding the power bomb.

NintendoByNature

JaxonH

@NintendoByNature
That's a famous gauntlet renowned as the hardest stretch of Metroid Prime.

Even I, as someone who has beaten all 3 Prime games, died 3 times on that gauntlet in Prime Remastered. But it felt so good to finally nail it on the 4th try. The key is not getting hit when dropping down on the spider rail track in those cylindrical rooms with electric enemies. If you get hit it takes like 2-3 energy tanks every time. Once I learned how to cautiously roll through the openings without getting hit, I had more than enough life to get to the save point.

And once you figure it out, it's much easier. I left and came back and am now close to the end of that stretch for the 2nd time, and have close to maxed out energy tanks.

NintendoByNature

@JaxonH yep. I think the problem is that there was never enough energy balls to get through it. You had to be extra careful and not go in guns blazing like usual. Plus after going through all of and having to get through a boss, plus more pirates, it was dang tough. All good now though. About how much of the game do I have left? I feel like I'm pretty far and close to the end.

NintendoByNature

Bolt_Strike

@NintendoByNature You're very close to the end, at least 3/4 of the way through. There's a few more powerups to collect then all of the Artifacts and then you'll be ready for the final stretch of the game.

Bolt_Strike

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic